OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 39]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Slow going on this cabinet. Now it's so freaking hot, I can't work in the garage at the moment. The parts that are painted are the only parts of the cabinet that will be actually exposed -- nothing else needs it.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3413

I have two panels such as this that are the sides of the cabinet (the removable keyed panels are to gain access to the lights on either side of the diorama in the event I need to change out a bulb)

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3414

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Looks very neatly and professionally done. The whole thing, not just the display area, will be a work of art.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

skywalkersaga

Exciting to see it coming together!

BAMComix

Very cool Mark! I like your idea of a hidden panel for your lights control, which I had thought of that when building the arms Very Happy . Looking forward too seeing how it progresses bounce bounce

Valiarde

Valiarde
Will be following this project with interest. I have no garage but my "construction room" is under the roof and it is also very hot there at the moment. Can relate.

Skippy

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Nr0sx

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, All. It’s been quite the learning process with this thing. I’ve built bookcases before, but nothing quite this involved, and every step has been a challenge (especially with all the removable bits). The back side of the side panels is reinforced along the sides with steel L Angle Iron. I have the top “frame” pieces cut out (no pictures as it’s just loose pieces), most of which will also have angle iron reinforcements as the top will also have removable panels since most of the lights and the electrical junction panel is at the top of the diorama. And a lot of this has been “trouble-shooting” solutions as they arise. I still need to attach drawer handles to the removable panels to pull them out, as the fit is tight enough that at the moment the only way to get them out is to bang on them from the back side — which won’t be possible once the whole thing is assemble. It’s not the prettiest solution, but it works. There are also flat metal braces on the backside to keep the removable panels from being pushed all the way in. (I can take a pic of the back side if anyone is interested.)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 C8485110

BAMComix

BAMComix
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, All. It’s been quite the learning process with this thing. I’ve built bookcases before, but nothing quite this involved, and every step has been a challenge (especially with all the removable bits). The back side of the side panels is reinforced along the sides with steel L Angle Iron. I have the top “frame” pieces cut out (no pictures as it’s just loose pieces), most of which will also have angle iron reinforcements as the top will also have removable panels since most of the lights and the electrical junction panel is at the top of the diorama. And a lot of this has been “trouble-shooting” solutions as they arise. I still need to attach drawer handles to the removable panels to pull them out, as the fit is tight enough that at the moment the only way to get them out is to bang on them from the back side — which won’t be possible once the whole thing is assemble. It’s not the prettiest solution, but it works. There are also flat metal braces on the backside to keep the removable panels from being pushed all the way in. (I can take a pic of the back side if anyone is interested.)

A pic would be really cool if you get a chance. I can related to solving problems as they arise, I had similar experiences when building the Ammo Arms. Keep up the great work! looking forward to seeing more bounce

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ok. Here's some more behind the scenes pics of the build:

Nothing fancy, and none too pretty (or perfect), but here are the two side panels (one from the front and one from the back). Once I start assembling this monstrosity, some of the metal attachments will make more sense.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3416
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3415
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3417

And the upper frame -- not actually assembled, but it gives you an idea of how big the top cabinet removable panels are (one of the end cross pieces - the short end) is messed up, so I have to redo it. Cutting out all these Dados is a pain in the butt, and very time consuming -- especially on pieces only two inches wide. Watch those fingers!!!

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3419
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 _dsc3418

The entire thing thus far is made of solid oak (or oak plywood) -- very heavy, but the upper removable panels are going to be made out of pine (very light wood) to put less stress on the upper frame and make them much easier to remove if I need to get at all the lights or the control (dimmer) switches and electrical wiring panel. The long pieces will also be reinforced with angle iron. (I still need to figure out how to add sound to this thing, as I have the Max Rebo Band song -- the original, not the crappy Special Edition version, and other sounds like Jabba laughing and saying stuff, Selacius Crumb laughing -- you get the idea).

BAMComix

BAMComix
It looks fantastic so far! I can agree about the cutting, it does seem to take forever! Keep at it Mark, the more you do, the better it will look Very Happy . Thanks for taking the time to do the pics bounce

Chip

This is going to be huge , I haven't managed to keep up so far just looked at all the awesome photos , sorry Mark . I am looking forward to your work in progress , but so much more to the finished dio . Your work looks very skilled and neat .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Certainly looks like you have thought of everything. I will think of you if I ever need to build something this versatile.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the kind words, Everyone. Much appreciated.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's so freaking awesome you're going to have sound effects with this! I LOVE the original music from ROTJ so much, glad you are including it with this already perfect dio. Very Happy

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shazzdan

shazzdan
ReverendSpooky wrote:
blackpool wrote:I'll never get enough of that diorama, it feels like we have someone on th emovie set sending us private backstage pictures, absolutely phenomenal.

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing.  Every time I see it I'm blown away by how fantastic it looks, and the more characters that get added, the more it just looks right out of the film.  Makes me hungry for more photos!  I get excited every time I see it.

I have trouble remembering that it is in 1:6 scale. The photos don't convey the awesome size of this thing. Need to see a photo of Mark standing next to it.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
blackpool wrote:I'll never get enough of that diorama, it feels like we have someone on th emovie set sending us private backstage pictures, absolutely phenomenal.

I was just thinking the EXACT same thing.  Every time I see it I'm blown away by how fantastic it looks, and the more characters that get added, the more it just looks right out of the film.  Makes me hungry for more photos!  I get excited every time I see it.

I have trouble remembering that it is in 1:6 scale. The photos don't convey the awesome size of this thing. Need to see a photo of Mark standing next to it.

Haha! Trust me. No one wants to see how badly I’ve aged!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's big and impressive, I really love the work you have put into it and it shows on the quality of what you have built so far. It will look mighty one it's finished, as for the sounds what sort of stuff have you thought about? Maybe motion sensor and have salacious burst out laughing?

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote: Maybe motion sensor and have salacious burst out laughing?

This is a brilliant idea. Mark, can you do that? Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote: Maybe motion sensor and have salacious burst out laughing?

This is a brilliant idea. Mark, can you do that? Smile

I can certainly look into it (maybe it switches off from either Salacius to Jabba laughing); only problem is electrical stuff is not a strong suit, as I have very little experience outside of wiring new light fixtures or outlets.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I can certainly look into it (maybe it switches off from either Salacius to Jabba laughing); only problem is electrical stuff is not a strong suit, as I have very little experience outside of wiring new light fixtures or outlets.

That is already more experience than I have.

Seven Pillars

Seven Pillars
What a massive project. Where do you plan to put the piece when you're done?

And I really have to know, is your avatar a painting or action figures?

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f1f8  sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f1ea  sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f1fb  sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f1ea  sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 1f1f3

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Seven Pillars wrote:What a massive project. Where do you plan to put the piece when you're done?

And I really have to know, is your avatar a painting or action figures?

This location is where the entire cabinet and diorama is going to go; in my basement Man Cave.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 4b3eda10

The avatar is a digital render I found on Deviant Art.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Such an epic build and going to be huge and awesome to behold when finished! Looking forward to it!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Further progress pics.

The upper frame and front support (for the viewing window -- which hasn't been built yet). The top of the cabinet will have removable panels to access all the lights and controls that are on the ceiling of the diorama:

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Img_9110
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Img_9111

The side walls attached to the table surface (with the removable panels removed).

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Img_9112

The upper frame attached (minus the viewing frame, which will have glass/acrylic); all lights hooked up again:

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Img_9114
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 36 Img_9113

shazzdan

shazzdan
Nice one. Looks like you have plenty of room underneath for a rancor basement. Wink

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, so exciting to see it in place like this! The amount of work that has gone into this whole display is mindblowing.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

blackpool

blackpool
mindblowing!!! the result is just unique! George Lucas needs to see that!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is really coming along now. I know the "basic" diorama itself was long put together, and you had worked out the lights, but now that you've advanced so far with the encasing cabinet, it is coming together beautifully. Remember, you can use a smaller scale Rancor for forced perspective. Wink

BAMComix

BAMComix
Outstanding work Mark! It really does look amazing bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum