OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I had been wanting a life size Gremlin for as long as I can remember. Kaiyodo made a vinyl kit of Mohawk from the second movie in the 90's. He was £150 back then and was way more than I could afford. A mint one now still would be! People pop up on garage kit groups claiming to have scored one. Nine times out of ten they turn out to be recasts! I do have to hide my glee when I tell them that sometimes!

Late in 2017, Trick Or Treat Studios announced they were making 1/1 puppets of a regular Gremlin and Stripe. (The puppet was sculpted by Russ Lukich and he had one of Chris Walas' originals right next to him so it looks really authentic.) It was only when looking up reviews for the NECA ones earlier this month that I happened upon them. I looked on eBay and most were in the US so I decided I'd hold off for a while. On Saturday, I did an image search for the Gremlin and one pic was hosted by a site called Mad About Horror. They turned out to be a UK retailer and they had them in stock for way less than I could have imported one for. It was my birthday on Sunday, so, I treated myself! They go for around $200 in the US and I got mine for about £220 shipped, which I'm happy with.

He arrived earlier, in a huge box! He stands at 28" tall, which would make the NECA ones around 1/4 scale. Does he look good and is he worth the money!? OH HELL YES!! He is cast in foam latex and is padded on the inside with foam packing. There is a slit in the upper back (Mine wasn't that neat, but you can't see the back anyway.) where you can insert your hand and puppeteer the head and mouth. It's a bit awkward for my hand, but I bought him more as a static prop anyway. There are wires in the ears and arms allowing you to pose them a little, though I wouldn't advise overdoing it.

As he's foam latex, he doesn't stand on his own, so you will need a stand of some kind. One video reviewer had used a guitar stand, so that was what I bought too. The back leg on mine was really short, which held the stand at a backward angle. My first thought was 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!', but, then I had a Chop-worthy flash of inspiration! There was a forked piece on which you rest the bottom of the guitar. I took the end cap off the back leg and roughly put the piece into it. It held the stand at the right angle which allowed it to support the Gremlin! YAAAAY!! After shooting pics, I found a rubber cap in the spare room. As luck would have it, one end fitted the forked piece perfectly, and the other fitted perfectly into the back leg. Chop's ingenuity has really rubbed off on me.

Another thing, latex will deteriorate over time, so it is advisable to seal him. This will preserve the rubber so he'll last a bit longer. I did a bit of research and there were a lot of differing opinions as to what to use. It could have got a bit confusing, so I sought advice from the one person best qualified to give it. Who better to ask than the guy that created the original Gremlins for the movie!? It so happened that I'd recently joined a group on FB called Ape Suit Cinema. The host of this group turned out to be none other than Chris Walas, the creator of the Gremlins! So, I dropped him a line asking his advice. He got back to me quite quickly.

The stuff he used on the original Gremlins to preserve them was this:

https://www.amazon.com/GARDNER-GIBSON-29-Clear-Leak-Stopper/dp/B000W67GQ8

He advised thinning it to get a good even coat. You might think that would have solved my problem. Sadly, it didn't. You see, nobody in the UK stocks it and to import it via Amazon UK would have cost me nearly £70! I searched eBay for an alternative and found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Ideas-Clear-Leak-Stop-Spray-n-Seal-Mastic-Sealant-775-Stop-Leaks/163004062121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I haven't received it yet, but will test it when I get it. Testing it is all I can really do right now. I don't have any room to spray or really display him properly.

Mine is well painted, but, the eyes are a little off. However, I have found a neat way round this, I found some screen accurate 3D glasses! They will look ace on him when I get them. The ones you need look like this:

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin YxVND7G

They can be found easily on eBay, mostly in 10 or 12 packs, so you'll have plenty of spares. Mine cost less than £5.
I'll shoot some pics of him wearing them and then, once I've tested the sealer and I'm happy with it, I'll box him back up again ready for when I move.

Anyway, that's enough words, time for some pics!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin VlS3VjO

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin AW5JAfy

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin PPAc5x8

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin ZIb3wN8

You can see the improvised part of the stand there.

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin FzanB42

Tootsies!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin VRCdaqZ

Gremlin selfie!?

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin UyowEBH

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin 7GDa4ve

Superb detail!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin 2wg7wyj

FEED ME!!

I love him, if you want one, get one!

CHEERS!

2Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very cool. I wonder if a stand for one of those large porcelain dolls would work. Did they make Gizmo?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin C8485110

3Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
No kidding, you got a real gremlin there. What did your dad think? Smile

4Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Adeno

Awesome, I'm glad this one turned out beautifully! He really looks happy and mischievous lol!

5Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:13 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Very cool. I wonder if a stand for one of those large porcelain dolls would work. Did they make Gizmo?

They did, but he's not that good. The Medicom VCD is one of the better ones.

CHEERS!

6Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:No kidding, you got a real gremlin there. What did your dad think? Smile

Not sure he's seen it yet. He doesn't really take much notice of what I get anyway.

CHEERS!

7Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Adeno wrote:Awesome, I'm glad this one turned out beautifully! He really looks happy and mischievous lol!

Indeed he does!

CHEERS!

8Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I got the sprayable sealant earlier. I wouldn't recommend it! It shoots out of the can like Spidey's webbing and is hard to control. On the foot I did test it went very tacky and wouldn't clean off! I hit it with a coat of pastel fixative and it's not tacky now, PHEW!

If you can get the Gardner Gibson stuff where you are, that will be fine. You thin it with water and it will work well. I'll have another scout around for something I can use and buy in the UK.

CHEERS!

9Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Hilarious BT ad I'd all but forgotten about:

Judging by that I think TOTS got the scale right.

CHEERS!

10Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:38 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Had another chat with Chris Walas after doing more research. It looks like water based clear polyurethane will work for sealing the Gremlin and I can get it in the UK.

Futzed around with his ears earlier to see if I could get the classic look. I couldn't do it with the wires alone, so I bent the ears upwards and inwards. The roots of the ears bent inwards and stayed there. He looks so cool now!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin RW7gHg2

The head looks like this, but you don't notice it from most angles:

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin 1QZMlQV

Just don't be too rough with the ears, you don't want to tear the latex. Still waiting for the 3D glasses. Ordered them on Monday and they've only just posted them. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow seeing as I paid for first class post.

CHEERS!

11Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Got the 3D glasses in earlier, he loves them!

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin 8goW6Q8

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin R6HrNEe

CHEERS!

12Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
They look amazing on him! cheers

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

13Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:36 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think you should sit him down on the couch to watch some MTV Smile

14Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:They look amazing on him! cheers

Yeah, thanks, I did later work out, having studied my stills more, that they're not as screen accurate as I thought they were. They will do for now, but, I must find some that are a 100% match. I have a template for some, but, I'm not terribly good at DIY!

CHEERS!

15Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:I think you should sit him down on the couch to watch some MTV Smile

Nice idea, but the legs are in the wrong position to get him to sit. I do have Final Destination 3D on DVD, he'd enjoy that!

CHEERS!

16Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:41 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I was wondering where this thread was! He looks great! Good idea using the guitar stand since he's so big, those large doll stands can get pretty expensive. Love the glasses! You need to give him a bowl of popcorn now too Wink .

17Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 pm

Peaches

Peaches
Too dang evilly cute! LOL

18Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Thanks guys,

I was able to refine and futz the glasses a bit more but will save pics till I have his little NECA counterpart in hand. With any luck that will be tomorrow, HOPEFULLY!! I've waited for them long enough. Eventually the NECA version of the 3D glasses Gremlin will have a bucket of popcorn, but, it comes with the Gamer version which isn't out till May.

CHEERS!

19Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am

blackpool

blackpool
That is epic!!! He looks perfect with the glasses on, I second the popcorn bowl idea and the sitting on the couch part too, that would be hilarious!!!

20Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Much as I'd like to, the torso and legs just don't allow a sitting pose. You either have to prop him or get a stand of some sort.

CHEERS!

21Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Still no NECA Gremlins! COME ON!!!! GRRRR!!

On the upside however, I JUST BOUGHT STRIPE!! Yeah, just bought the Stripe version of the TOTS puppet! Another life sized Gremlin heading my way, get ready!

Promo pic:

Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin G20T5Wd

Video of the two together:

Gonna be a fun week!!

CHEERS!

PS (Ordered another guitar stand too!)

22Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's cool, Roger. Awesome catch. I really need to rewatch that movie -- it's been a really long time.

23Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:33 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Yeah, it was one of those 'last one' deals where it could be just that. It may have been the last available Stripe in the UK. They just don't get many things like this in over here.

Better look:

CHEERS!

24Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:55 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s going to look really cool with your other one. Looks like you need to find another guitar stand.

25Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Empty Re: Trick Or Treat Studios 1/1 Gremlin Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:35 am

Peaches

Peaches
Oh man, so Cuuuuuuute!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum