OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post Apocalyptic Pinup Patrol Girl: Part II.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ReverendSpooky wrote:Love her!!!  And the high black boots were totally the right call.  Functional, but they nail that aesthetic you're going for.  

I think they look good, but if you're not entirely happy with the fit, Very Cool did a pair a little while back that are also along the same lines, and are more of a matte leather that the shinier pleather, and have a tighter fit. I have a pair and they look great.

11 - Post Apocalyptic Pinup Patrol Girl: Part II.   - Page 2 8682_0

Might be hard to find now,  but could be worth a look.

Thanks: I'll keep my eyes open for them as I plan to build more figures for this imaginary unit. In keeping with both DOTS and Rat Patrol, they may have more or less similar uniforms with small variations, but the high boots and short shorts would be pretty much de rigueur for the female members, while male members (few in number) would still wear tall boots as protection against snakebite.

Because of the situation, complete uniformity would be impossible and so no two members would be dressed exactly alike. It would make sense that they tried to standardize on being armed with weapons of the same caliber where possible, and frankly the logical choice for this would be AR15 variants, given the massive number of them in circulation in the US, but at the same my I want a sort of retro look and I'm not interested in building something that looks like one of these contemporary militia groups you have in America with body armor and overly dressed up M4 carbines with lots of battery powered accessories that will become useless once batteries are no longer available.

I also hold that in an SHTF situation, any firearm that's functional and for which ammo is available in any quantity will be worth it's weight in gold. Even the lowly .22 rifle, which is excellent for small game hunting and pest control, etc.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Have you thought of putting boot gaiters on some of them in lieu of high boots?

ReverendSpooky

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Thanks:  I'll keep my eyes open for them as I plan to build more figures for this imaginary unit.  In keeping with both DOTS and Rat Patrol, they may have more or less similar uniforms with small variations, but the high boots and short shorts would be pretty much de rigueur for the female members, while male members (few in number) would still wear tall boots as protection against snakebite.

Because of the situation, complete uniformity would be impossible and so no two members would be dressed exactly alike. It would make sense that they tried to standardize on being armed with weapons of the same caliber where possible, and frankly the logical choice for this would be AR15 variants, given the massive number of them in circulation in the US, but at the same my I want a sort of retro look and I'm not interested in building something that looks like one of these contemporary militia groups you have in America with body armor and overly dressed up M4 carbines with lots of battery powered accessories that will become useless once batteries are no longer available.  

I also hold that in an SHTF situation, any firearm that's functional and for which ammo is available in any quantity will be worth it's weight in gold. Even the lowly .22 rifle, which is excellent for small game hunting and pest control, etc.

I completely hear you.  And I think things being a bit mismatched, as well as the diversity of the weapons, is what lends it that post-apocalyptic look.  Things being a bit imperfect, and looking scavenged or repaired is what sets it apart from simply looking too modern.  And I can't even say why, but the older guns really do just seem to fit the look, don't they?

http://reverendspooky.com

ThePhotogsBlog

Stryker2011 wrote:Have you thought of putting boot gaiters on some of them in lieu of high boots?

Some WWII style leggings possibly. I also have some puttees such as the British army wore in the western desert and Brit/Canadian troops wore in Italy over the hated gaiters issued to both armies, but my thought is that the puttees, which work well at keeping the sand out of the boots will do nothing against snakebite. Probably the same goes for canvas leggings.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Thanks:  I'll keep my eyes open for them as I plan to build more figures for this imaginary unit.  In keeping with both DOTS and Rat Patrol, they may have more or less similar uniforms with small variations, but the high boots and short shorts would be pretty much de rigueur for the female members, while male members (few in number) would still wear tall boots as protection against snakebite.

I completely hear you.  And I think things being a bit mismatched, as well as the diversity of the weapons, is what lends it that post-apocalyptic look.  Things being a bit imperfect, and looking scavenged or repaired is what sets it apart from simply looking too modern.  And I can't even say why, but the older guns really do just seem to fit the look, don't they?

Older guns fit the look for a number of reasons. One...old surplus military guns are generally more available to civilians before the brown stuff hits the fan than modern ones. Two, they are usually much easier to maintain than a lot of older ones. I have a gun collection myself and can guarantee that a WWII (or WWI) Lee-Enfield is easier to keep clean than an AR15. In the AR's favor, the modern market for the is so huge, even here in Canada where they are restricted weapons available only to members of clubs certified for restricted weapons. Consequently, the availability of spare parts for them and after market accessories is huge. Given that they use the same ammo and magazines as both the US and Canadian (and many other armies use) they are the logical choice of weapons for a survivalist/prepper to own. The thing is...how many AR15's is the average gun owner, or even prepper going to own? I own exactly one. Sure, there are people who collect them, but my thoughts are that few people who own them own more than one. The second thing is that most of the gizmo's the wanna-be militia's like to load them down with will be totally useless once their last batteries are gone.

Consider now the lowly SKS carbine or Type 56 if it's Chinese. Tens of thousands sold just in Canada, starting around $225.00 and with loads of cheap ammo for them also available. I can't even begin to guess how many have been sold in America. In the unlikely even that the giant asteroid or whatever hits us and we suffer a massive interruption of services, surplus SKS's will be among the most commonly seen weapons, along with every type of 12-guage shotgun under the sun...at least until the ammo runs out.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:To protect the figures from staining with things like tall boots, I wrap the legs with Seran wrap — it also makes it easier to slide them on.

I tried this out after first rinsing and drying the boots, then weathering them. It works well and the boots look a lot better now that they have a dusty look about them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum