OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I do like her hanging out on top of the machinery during a lunch break, or something. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

DarthJ

This mailbox is an old Debarbiefication. A rough red paint layer as for a box that has been repainted several times

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 Img_7911

davidd

How pink it is! The "Barbie size" plastic play sets marketed under the "Gloria" brand offer excellent action figure furniture and accessory possibilities at a bargain price. The sets can usually be found on eBay; search for Gloria Play Set for an overview.

The gloriously gaudy Gloria brand plastic piano...

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 47640711321_1288368365_z

... might benefit from a dash of rattle-can paint...

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 40679908413_a14194d710_z

... to better serve in a classically retro smoke-filled cocktail lounge setting

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 46736264705_d6955bf671_z

The Gloria Dining Room and Fireplace play sets definitely need a bit of dulling down!

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53283358811_a64fd8a2e8_z

Krylon and Rust-Oleum spray paint to the rescue:

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53283731354_e906acbf71_z

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53282466252_eb3058bc25_z

And then, of course, there's one of the best action figure play sets evaaar, the Gloria Happy Hour Play Set:

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 39588522621_96d62d0d8e_z

This set is so cool it actually looks passable straight out of the box, pink plastic and all:

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 38880172694_80ef65f1d2_z

The bar set is quite effective as-is if the images are processed as monochrome (black & white):

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 38880177304_2c699a71b0_z

But it starts to look even better with a bit of paint here and there to tone down the PIIINNNKKKK! Because, yeah, it's a Gloria set, so it's plenty pink.

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53274400292_f6ce1f88ee_z
(Note the "textured" spray paint on the countertop to simulate a classier surface than plain white plastic.)

If you wanna get all fancy, bust out the hot melt glue and resurface the cardboard facades of the bar and backbar:

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 52937015105_3328b66a15_z

Online contacts tell me there are a variety of images on Pinterest and other websites featuring renovations and de-pinkifying of the Gloria Happy Hour Play Set.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Excellent work, Dave, beautiful examples on how much one could get out of these Barbie and Barbie-related sets. You've made all look realistic and that bar is unrecognizable (and infinitely better).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

helianthus

I love the piano! I've been looking into ways to get one for a diorama-sans-walls for my action figure, to compliment his baton and manuscripts and to have a place to pose him. This is such a creative idea, [and likely more affordable than certain alternatives,] I may have to take a leaf out of your book.
Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 Gustav-mahler-house-in-steinbach-at-attersee-lake-salzkammergut-upper-APBYY4
Through what means I will make it look more like this specific piano, kept in his composing hut, perhaps use clay to alter the shape of the legs, replace the chair, paint the grain on by hand after an initial coat.

davidd

davidd
helianthus wrote:I love the piano! I've been looking into ways to get one for a diorama-sans-walls for my action figure....

The Gloria piano is slightly undersized for a true full-size grand piano, but it's also cheap: usually around twenty bucks or so on US eBay, and for that price, close enough is good enough, at least for me.

Here are a couple more photos to give a better idea of the size as compared to 11-1/2 inch size action figures:

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 46924069014_3054a1cb6e
Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 52989162843_ce15ce86aa

helianthus

davidd wrote:
helianthus wrote:I love the piano! I've been looking into ways to get one for a diorama-sans-walls for my action figure....

The Gloria piano is slightly undersized for a true full-size grand piano, but it's also cheap: usually around twenty bucks or so on US eBay, and for that price, close enough is good enough, at least for me.

Here are a couple more photos to give a better idea of the size as compared to 11-1/2 inch size action figures:

Ah, good to know - thanks so much for the additional reference photos.

Either way this may not render it inaccurate, it's not the one pictured, but another piano he had, which was of a smaller size, and had 6.5 octaves rather than the modern range of 7 (although the 7 octave range was common at the time, he could not afford a piano of that quality).

Perhaps I could model it off of that one, although the lighter color of this one is very characteristic and I quite like that.

(fun fact, he added strips of metal to the hammers of the keys around the lowest register to give it a weightier timbre, which, given the character of his orchestral and sole chamber work, makes a great deal of sense)

Great work on the scene, it's very atmospheric and homey in a way. Especially with the lights

davidd

davidd
helianthus wrote:

(fun fact, he added strips of metal to the hammers of the keys around the lowest register to give it a weightier timbre, which, given the character of his orchestral and sole chamber work, makes a great deal of sense)

I have heard stories of people who inserted metal thumb tacks in to the felt hammers of old upright pianos to give them a "tin pan alley" or "old west saloon" type sound. Razz

Ah, I found a page about Mahler's pianos: https://mahlerfoundation.org/mahler/the-man/instruments/

It appears that, until he could afford a Bluthner, his earlier pianos were relatively small in size; smaller than the "concert grand" style of today. The toy-grade Gloria piano would not, then, look out of scale in a historical setting.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very cool stuff Dave! The pink stuff has a lot of potential especially after a coat or two of pain and imagination! Top work.

Diana

Diana
These are looking quite... glorious! What a Face Makes me wanna buy all of them. Laughing (I shall not, since I tend to keep my displays pretty reduced and simple.)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I, too, am glad to see the extra images for reference.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Excellent work on all that stuff. That bar is gorgeous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 1f10

Dirty-Deeds

Dirty-Deeds
davidd wrote:How pink it is! The "Barbie size" plastic play sets marketed under the "Gloria" brand offer excellent action figure furniture and accessory possibilities at a bargain price. The sets can usually be found on eBay; search for Gloria Play Set for an overview.

The gloriously gaudy Gloria brand plastic piano...

... might benefit from a dash of rattle-can paint...

... to better serve in a classically retro smoke-filled cocktail lounge setting

The Gloria Dining Room and Fireplace play sets definitely need a bit of dulling down!

Krylon and Rust-Oleum spray paint to the rescue:

And then, of course, there's one of the best action figure play sets evaaar, the Gloria Happy Hour Play Set:

This set is so cool it actually looks passable straight out of the box, pink plastic and all:

The bar set is quite effective as-is if the images are processed as monochrome (black & white):

But it starts to look even better with a bit of paint here and there to tone down the PIIINNNKKKK! Because, yeah, it's a Gloria set, so it's plenty pink.

(Note the "textured" spray paint on the countertop to simulate a classier surface than plain white plastic.)

If you wanna get all fancy, bust out the hot melt glue and resurface the cardboard facades of the bar and backbar:

Online contacts tell me there are a variety of images on Pinterest and other websites featuring renovations and de-pinkifying of the Gloria Happy Hour Play Set.

That's next level. 👍

r3500vdp

Agree, that's some transformation you've done on the Barbie sets. Fantastic work!

davidd

davidd
Well... as it happens, I won't have access to my tiki bar diorama or to my smaller pub diorama during the approaching holiday season.

Rather than miss the upcoming One-Sixth Scale Holiday Pub Crawl ... errr, have you heard about that? Anyway, I turned to eBay for yet another Gloria Happy Hour Play Set:
Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53324659908_d58fa437d8

Some glue, some sticky-backed shelf paper, a few quick print-outs, and a splash of spray paint...

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53362153629_bb9c5e53b3_c

... is enough to make a start on a small, quick, and good-enough-for-a-few-photos nightclub setting for the holiday festivities.

I hope.

So far it is still a work in progress.

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53357606485_ebaa468a4e_z

Here it is after adding some artificial foliage (Dollar Tree store - YAY!) and quickly stringing some neon EL wire after the string lights that I painstakingly built in to the bar stopped working.

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 53362153629_a71c4377e8_c

And a reminder: there's plenty of time (not really) for y'all to get your pubs, clubs, bars, taverns, and other social establishments in shape for the upcoming One-Sixth Scale Holiday Pub Crawl!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the reminder about the pub crawl, I won't have time this year, but maybe next year if it happens again?

yours is shaping up really nicely!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Diana

Diana
Nice work! Those plants work really well. I've been thinking about making some as a backdrop for my shamans, but I might just look for some dried/plastic plants instead and see how they scale. Smile

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Very, very cool. Turned out great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 1f10

Valiarde

Valiarde
Oh nearly missed it. What a transformation! I think I've been in bars similar to this one in my life.

It works so well with your Explorer figures Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, now you're going to have multiple bars, all the more appropriate for bar hopping. Worked out beautifully. Well done!

BAMComix

BAMComix
Excellent work Dave!

r3500vdp

Again that's one heck of a transformation! Excellent work.

DarthJ

Before deBarbiefication there was Barbiefication.

Behold this horrible example. At left the original Pedigree Hostess Trolley for Sindy in typical 1970s chocolate brown with a glass cover and finished with gold accents. Classy. At right the Hasbro Barbiefied 1980s version, all pink, no glass cover. The plastic must have warped as the trolley doesn't stand firmly on its 4 little wheels as the 1970s version does. Hasbro was trying so hard to copy the Barbie world that in the end they got sued by Mattel.

Custom - Barbie deBarbiefied (continuously updated) - Page 7 Img_0918

Valiarde

Valiarde
Those Barbie pieces are a real treasure grove! Aleays fun to see before after shots.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum