OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Creating Kamiko, Part 2: The makings of a bad-ass lady.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I just thought I would shoot a few photos of my recently completed 1/6th version of my post apocalyptic heroine and danger addict, Kamiko Takahara.  I hope you like them,

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  40595590763_1c536dde2c_z20190408_0013 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko is often seen carrying a Japanese-made Howa type 89 Assault rifle, which she states in her memoirs, she picked up off the battlefield from a fallen Japanese soldier during the disastrous Chinese invasion of the Japanese islands.  According to Kamiko, she and her friends Gogo and Miyori had been hiding under cover but nonetheless saw what was happening and decided to join the fight, so all three ran out and picked up weapons off the ground and started fighting alongside the Japanese soldiers.

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  40595590573_ce12d2a797_b20190408_0020 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko was an expert marksman even before she came to Japan in her teens. She had learned marksmanship in her native America and her skill at arms with the Type 89, a weapon she had never received any sort of training in, much impressed the Japanese she chose to help in their moment of need.  The unit had taken heavy casualties and Kamiko and her friends seemed to know how to handle themselves in a fight, so they were quickly sworn in as provisional members of the JSDF.  

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  46645976925_715e570251_z20190408_0015 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko's insistence on wearing her red bow in her hair at all times, including battle actually inspired some of the JSDF soldiers, a number of whom followed suit by tying good luck belts displaying the rising sun around their helmets.

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  40595590473_08bc3d12cc_z20190408_0024 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

As casualties mounted and Kamiko continued to demonstrate not only her bravery and tactical skills, she was promoted first to corporal, then to sergeant, before finally receiving a battlefield commission near the end of the fighting.  She and her friends, who had also survived unscathed, perhaps protected by the aura of good luck that always seemed to surround Kamiko, were offered the opportunity to remain in the JSDF as regular members, but Kamiko opted instead to take her discharge so that she could return to America in the hopes of finding her family, which had not been heard from for some time as a result of the nuclear exchange that had occurred between the US and Russia. Kamiko claims in her memoirs that she did not steal the rifle she brought home with her, but rather was presented it by her regimental commander, in reward for her service and bravery, and knowing she would need it when she got home.

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  40595591053_4c2cf38564_b20190408_0001 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko is also quite skilled with handguns, and is here seen with a WWII surplus Canadian-made Browning High Power, which she mentions she picked up from Alex after she and her party  joined his group of survivors.

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  46645977285_943f763fb8_b20190408_0007 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko and her friends had a few dark secrets, all dating from before the time the brown stuff really hit the wall.  All were bi-curious, and all were intrigued by erotic asphyxiation. They especially love watching scenes of gallows hangings in westerns, and noticed these things in one another.   While there were many Japanese who found Kamiko too American, Gogo and Miyori and a couple of others were enthralled by tales of the American west, in the same way that Kamiko as a young girl had been enthralled by stories of samurai culture and samurai honor.  All of them knew that some of Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai," had been the basis for "The Magnificent Seven," and that his film "Yojimbo" had been the basis for Sergio Leone's first "spaghetti western," "A Fistful of Dollars."  Thus, they imagined themselves as bounty hunters in a post-apocalyptic far west, hunting and hanging outlaws and other ne'er do wells.  It wasn't long before they started role playing their fantasies with airsoft guns and play nooses.  To make sure the pellets really stung, the only clothing they could wear was their boots, shorts and bikini or halter tops, which they all obtained in camouflage colors, hence the origin of their later combat dress.  They played these games in secret, normally out in the countryside, and the losing side of each round had to submit to make-believe hanging.  They never took this too far, not wanting to kill or injure themselves, except for Kamiko who on one of the very rare occasions she lost, asked that her friends hold the free end of the rope for a few seconds as she wanted to experience what it actually felt like to hang.  They were reluctant at first, but Kamiko convinced them and so they obliged her.  

Kamiko only swung for a few seconds before being let down, but she realized then and there that she had an enormously high pain threshold and could have handled a lot more. The experience turned her on, and seeing this, her friends asked one-by-one to try also.  None handled it as well as Kamiko did, but they all suffered from the same bizarre turn on at being hanged.  

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  40595590943_6b340ffdf2_b20190408_0010 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

The night after they first tried erotic asphyxiation for real, Kamiko, Gogo and Miyori had a long intimate chat. When Miyori expressed the opinion that their obsession with erotic asphyxiation would be the death of all of them.

"We are all dead girls walking," said Miyori. "We were all born for the noose and the obsession will grow worse and worse until....

"No! replied Kamiko. "You are all safe so long as you stick by me." Kamiko then explained to them that she believed that as long as she wore her red bow, which had been made by her mother from silk blessed by a shinto priest who was the first to proclaim that the infant Kamiko appeared to him as a "little goddess" , the kami watched over her and protected her from harm, and that so long as the other two stuck close to her, they too would live charmed lives.

"Tell no-one of this," Kamiko told them, "and stick close by me always and the kami will protect you through me."  

"And the others?" Gogo inquired.

"Not even the kami can protect everyone, Gogo," Kamiko replied.  "And their hearts are not so pure as yours. Say nothing to anyone and stay close."

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  46645977075_a209dc86b1_b20190408_0012_1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

That's it for now. I hope you like the pics.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. Interesting back story, as well. She sounds like a serious bad-@$$.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Creating Kamiko, Part 2:  The makings of a bad-ass lady.  C8485110

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
She came out fantastic! I love the backstory, and the photos look great. The poses all look really natural, and the weathering on the boots looks perfect. I really like the head sculpt you chose for her, and I think the choice to go with the more muscular body was the way to go. Really dig everything about her.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Interesting back story, as well. She sounds like a serious bad-@$$.

The entire question is whether she really is protected by the kami, or does she only think she is and has been very, very lucky. On the other hand, she published her memoirs when she 75.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:She came out fantastic!  I love the backstory, and the photos look great.  The poses all look really natural, and the weathering on the boots looks perfect.  I really like the head sculpt you chose for her, and I think the choice to go with the more muscular body was the way to go.  Really dig everything about her.

Thanks for the feedback. It actually means a lot coming from you given how excellent your own bashes are. I wish the head sculpt looked more like my DAZ 3D Kamiko but I knew off the bat that I'd never find one with the same face and that I'd have to compromise. I wasn't sure about the more muscular body, but in the context of the part of her life I'm going to depict in 1/6th scale it makes sense. She's living in a dangerous place during very dangerous times and even Kamiko herself isn't really sure if the gods are really watching her or is she just very, very lucky. She does feel however a heightened sense of danger awareness when wearing it.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Interesting back story, as well. She sounds like a serious bad-@$$.

The entire question is whether she really is protected by the kami, or does she only think she is and has been very, very lucky.  On the other hand, she published her memoirs when she 75.

Yeah, I love that. You may remember I played around with a similar concept with Marrow, and the patron god she believes watches over her. I love the idea of the ambiguity of a supernatural presence, that can easily be passed off as superstition, except the character seems to continuously survive impossible odds, and you start to wonder...

Kamiko really is a fun character. Looking forward to her continued adventures.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

The entire question is whether she really is protected by the kami, or does she only think she is and has been very, very lucky.  On the other hand, she published her memoirs when she 75.

Yeah, I love that.  You may remember I played around with a similar concept with Marrow, and the patron god she believes watches over her.  I love the idea of the ambiguity of a supernatural presence, that can easily be passed off as superstition, except the character seems to continuously survive impossible odds, and you start to wonder...  

Kamiko really is a fun character.  Looking forward to her continued adventures.

Yes, in that sense at least, Marrow and Kamiko are quite the same.

Kamiko is a fun character, but she is also a dark character. On the one hand dismisses religion and superstition as nonsense, but at the same time she's conscious that she survives things she shouldn't survive and she really does seem to feel a very heightened sense of danger awareness when wearing her bow. She sometimes thinks she hears a voice warning her, and the voice sounds like her mother's...or is it her own since they both sound so much alike. She fights off her erotic asphyxiation fantasies by being the executioner rather than the the condemned in a real world where the public hanging of criminals has become public entertainment, much as it was in past centuries, except that now executions are often televised. She is fair and just towards people who show courage an honor while openly disdainful and contemptuous of those who fail to meet this standard. She is also very revenge driven, having tracked down and killed every single member of the clan of wasteland barbarians who massacred her sister's family, leaving only her niece Michiko alive.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The figure looks and works great, happy to see the additional photos. Interesting back story and probably fine so far, but keep in mind you should probably resist making certain themes any more graphic than you already have them, for the purposes of this online forum.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

Yeah, I love that.  You may remember I played around with a similar concept with Marrow, and the patron god she believes watches over her.  I love the idea of the ambiguity of a supernatural presence, that can easily be passed off as superstition, except the character seems to continuously survive impossible odds, and you start to wonder...  

Kamiko is a fun character, but she is also a dark character.  On the one hand dismisses religion and superstition as nonsense, but at the same time she's conscious that she survives things she shouldn't survive and she really does seem to feel a very heightened sense of danger awareness when wearing her bow. She sometimes thinks she hears a voice warning her, and the voice sounds like her mother's...or is it her own since they both sound so much alike.  She fights off her erotic asphyxiation fantasies by being the executioner rather than the the condemned in a real world where the public hanging of criminals has become public entertainment, much as it was in past centuries, except that now executions are often televised.  She is fair and just towards people who show courage an honor while openly disdainful and contemptuous of those who fail to meet this standard. She is also very revenge driven, having tracked down and killed every single member of the clan of wasteland barbarians who massacred her sister's family, leaving only her niece Michiko alive.

Oh, definitely a dark background. I meant more fun for the audience than the character. You've done a great job fleshing out her motivations and character, as well as a fascinating view of what your own post apocalyptic world looks like.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:The figure looks and works great, happy to see the additional photos. Interesting back story and probably fine so far, but keep in mind you should probably resist making certain themes any more graphic than you already have them, for the purposes of this online forum.

Quite understood about that and I had no intention of posting anything graphic or explicit here. Anything "adult" or violent in nature would be posted on an as of yet to be created blog. My primary use for this forum is for learning purposes and getting feedback and inspiration from others.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

Kamiko is a fun character, but she is also a dark character.  On the one hand dismisses religion and superstition as nonsense, but at the same time she's conscious that she survives things she shouldn't survive and she really does seem to feel a very heightened sense of danger awareness when wearing her bow. She sometimes thinks she hears a voice warning her, and the voice sounds like her mother's...or is it her own since they both sound so much alike.  She fights off her erotic asphyxiation fantasies by being the executioner rather than the the condemned in a real world where the public hanging of criminals has become public entertainment, much as it was in past centuries, except that now executions are often televised.  She is fair and just towards people who show courage an honor while openly disdainful and contemptuous of those who fail to meet this standard. She is also very revenge driven, having tracked down and killed every single member of the clan of wasteland barbarians who massacred her sister's family, leaving only her niece Michiko alive.

Oh, definitely a dark background.  I meant more fun for the audience than the character.  You've done a great job fleshing out her motivations and character, as well as a fascinating view of what your own post apocalyptic world looks like.  

Kamiko was a character that I created in DAZ 3D a few years ago and have been fleshing her out ever since. I am toning down the 1/6th version, at least what is being presented here in order to keep things within the boundaries allowed by this forum.  

The post apocalyptic period that 1/6th Kamiko and her pals in the Pin-Up patrol will look like will be a United States shattered both by a lopsided nuclear exchange with Russia in which the Russians got the worst of it, but the US still suffered enough damage to ruin the economy and cause the disintegration of the country several smaller, regional political entities, some of which are at war with others, not to mention a whole lot of wasteland. Though more than 90 percent of the Russian missiles were either destroyed by the US strike, exploded on takeoff or just plain missed their targets, the 10% that did hit however did unprecedented damage.  Kamiko's native San Francisco was missed by the nukes, as were New York, Boston, Atlanta, Houston and Miami, but Washington DC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix and Kansas City were flattened, as were a lot of military posts and other strategic targets.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Very nice!

I'm guessing the high armpits on these seamless bodies must be reminding you of good old V4.

CHEERS!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Rogerbee wrote:
Very nice!

I'm guessing the high armpits on these seamless bodies must be reminding you of good old V4.

CHEERS!

i didn't much care for V4 actually. By the time I got into DAZ 3D, Genesis 2 and 3 were out and I used them exclusively.  I didn't actually buy V4 until a year or more later and quickly went back to using Genesis figures. This being said, the high, straight shoulders do remind me of V4.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Ah, I think Genesis 2 was about where I left the party. I could jump back in any time if I felt like it. Don't have much time for it right now though.

CHEERS!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Rogerbee wrote:
Ah, I think Genesis 2 was about where I left the party. I could jump back in any time if I felt like it. Don't have much time for it right now though.

CHEERS!

I'm spending much less time with DAZ 3D than before now that I got into the 1/6th thing, which I find very satisfying in terms of kitbashing my own figures, but also very expensive.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

With you on both counts. I'm gaming more than anything now. I primarily built a PC for Daz work and only upgraded to an Nvidia card to take advantage of iRay. Glad I did now as it's also a decent gaming rig.

CHEERS

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
In a sense, both DAZ 3D and kitbashing have something in common; you can build figures (and some vehicles) from the ground up and customize the hell out of them but you pretty much have to do it with what's available on the market. Getting seriously into either can end up costing you a lot of money. So far, my bashes have been pretty modest ones and minimalist ones compared t some other post apocalyptic figures out there, but that's by design also. I want the Pin-Up Patrpl to have certain (unrealistic) sex appeal. This is after all, fantasy. on the other side of the things, I do plan to do some more grotty ones in the future.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, they draw you in by making the program free, and then you have to pay for everything else. That's like base bodies being cheap, but anything else costs several times as much. The second hand prices for HT parts is plain ludicrous now.

CHEERS!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Rogerbee wrote:
Yeah, they draw you in by making the program free, and then you have to pay for everything else. That's like base bodies being cheap, but anything else costs several times as much. The second hand prices for HT parts is plain ludicrous now.

CHEERS!

Well, TBLeague bodies aren't that cheap....

Parted out stuff...some places have reasonable prices, others....very pricey.  Places I've found inexpensive:  

1. Zhukov's Attic.  Prices very reasonable; all pre-owned but some stuff incomplete and other pieces misidentified by people who don't know as much about guns as i do. Good service.  

2.Veego Store, Hong-Kong.  Reasonable prices, some hard to find stuff. Good service.

3. Monkey Depot:  Reasonable prices, good services, limited selection.

4.  Black Ops Toys: Huge selection, very high prices, but do have stuff no-one else does. Good service.

5.  Echo Base Toys:  good selection of pre-owned parts, good service, reasonable prices.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I'm in the UK and have used some of those places in the past. It's the shipping costs from the US and the risk of being hit for import duty that really puts me off these days.

HK and China have yielded good results in the past.

CHEERS!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Rogerbee wrote:
I'm in the UK and have used some of those places in the past. It's the shipping costs from the US and the risk of being hit for import duty that really puts me off these days.

HK and China have yielded good results in the past.

CHEERS!

Except for my first purchase, I've been buying the TBLeague dolls from Giantoy in China. Fast service, good prices and free shipping. They have been quite reliable so far.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

They've got some good stuff, including that Black Box Joi.

I'll keep an eye on them I think...

CHEERS!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Rogerbee wrote:
They've got some good stuff, including that Black Box Joi.

I'll keep an eye on them I think...

CHEERS!

It's worth doing so,

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Will do!

CHEERS!

MerylAkiba

I really like how you transformed Tomoe's head using simple methods in make-up and hairstyle into something totally different. I have the same head, but I am having trouble thinking of what to make.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum