OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For Parts I, II, and III, see the original thread here.

Experimentation continues, and characters, both purpose-built and incidental, have added up. I hear people don't like to read, so will keep the text brief... Smile I was goofing around with setting up scenes, but tried to arrange them into something resembling a story.

With their relentless pursuer still not fully revealed, the Lady of the Lake and her brave champion had fled from nine realms into a tenth. They looked around them anxiously, although they were now threading on holy ground that should keep them safe for the moment.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0110

They had arrived at the half-ruined ancient temple of Burguz Andrun, where the High Priestess of Aruz has consented to grant them an audience. Mindful of her own safety amid the mysterious enemy's progress, she chose a place to meet far from home. Having found one of her retinue and announced themselves, they awaited her appearance impatiently.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0210

At long last she arrived quietly in the hall, studying her visitors with curiosity and a measure of suspicion.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0310

After brief pleasantries, the Lady of the Lake explained what little she knew of her plight and implored the High Priestess for help and guidance.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0410

Having listened attentively but dispassionately, the High Priestess motioned to her Steward, who presented the Lady of the Lake with a prepared gift. The High Priestess explained that, whatever the true nature of the mysterious threat, this should offer a substantial amount of protection.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0510

Somewhat taken aback by the ready, yet unconvincing solution, the Lady of the Lake took the gift and put it on, muttering her confused thanks. It was a dragonbone necklace. A bulky, awkward, ugly thing made of large beads and shards roughly hewn from the bones of a dragon. She could not even begin to guess which bones the beads came from, but the High Priestess assured her that as long as she wore the necklace, none of the magical races sprung from the blood of dragons could inflict her bodily harm.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0610

The High Priestess instructed the Lady and her champion to depart immediately, lest the threat should follow them to this place. While she advised caution, she explained that by all appearances the threat could only be overcome if it were faced head on. Also, that it should only be faced when it was more fully understood. She briefly stayed and watched the Lady and her champion depart after they had thanked her, seemingly divining their fate.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0710

Still lost in thought, she absent-mindedly turned to head home, while the Lady and her champion hurried to make another appointment, set up for them by the High Priestess' Steward.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0810 

At a small square near the gate of the town, the Lady and her champion met a couple of Atlantian mercenaries, tasked by the Steward to provide them with some added security on their journey. The mercenaries wore gaudy and seemingly impractical attire, intended to demonstrate their prowess, bravery, and wealth, and could not differ more in disposition from each other. One was the strong silent type, who nevertheless could charm the moss off a stone, the other a loud, abrasive officer, whose tone of voice came in only two variations, shouted angry commands, and loud exclamations. Although appreciative for the added security, the Lady could not help but wonder exactly how useful these two would be, and whether the High Priestess had not simply abandoned her to her fate with the slightest pretense of demonstrated concern.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk0910

The small group headed out of Burguz Andrun from the same gate by which they had entered, advancing in the direction from which they had come. If they were to learn anything about their pursuer, they would have to draw nearer. Advancing through the forest was no trouble, as the canopy let through the golden light of the afternoon sun. But even in this pretty setting, even so close to their point of departure, the Atlantians sensed they were being watched and followed. Champion and mercenaries alike prepared for what seemed like an imminent ambush.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1010

But no attack came that evening or that night. By morning the Lady had drifted into a deep, restful sleep, and was only gradually awakened by shouts and screams piercing the relative quiet of the waking forest. The Atlantians emerged from the woods, dragging and whipping a captive creature into the dew-covered grassy clearing.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1110

The creature was clearly some sort of faun, and in-between shouts and screams, the Lady and her champion were told that he was caught observing the camp. Surely, he was a scout of the Lady's pursuer, and should be tortured to reveal all he knew. The unfortunate faun proceeded to implore the Lady for mercy, while the Atlantian captain declared that the captive could not yet be trusted to tell the truth and should be whipped some more. His more perceptive colleague, sensing the Lady's mood, held back from inflicting any more blows with the whip.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1210

He was right to do so. The Lady took pity on the faun's piteous cries for mercy, gently stayed her overzealous captain's hand and sword, and ignored her champion's insistent demands for caution so close to the creature.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1310

It was a gamble, thinking that she knew better how to handle a captive enemy than her protectors, or hoping that her mercy would be met with gratitude. She consoled the faun and calmed him with words of kindness and friendship, while the Atlantian captain vainly exhorted the other two men to "talk some sense" into the Lady.

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1410

She would have none of this, and they knew better than to try. The faun confessed that he had, in fact, been sent to observe the camp and report on the locations and actions of its denizens. Of course, he sought forgiveness and sought to expiate his error. Before long, the Lady and the faun were chattering like friends fondly reunited after a long absence. But time was of the essence and, having broken the ice, the Lady sought the faun's help in identifying and locating her pursuer. Eager to make up for his actions, he readily offered up all he knew, which was not very much. But he knew the path the pursuer would use to arrive, and pointed it out to the Lady and her protectors. They looked on with interest, but still full of caution. How much could one trust a faun anyway?

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) Llk1510

To be continued...

For Parts I, II, and III, see the original thread here.

Diana

Diana
Hah! I enjoyed reading all of that! Even though I really should be working... What a Face
Amazing what expressive head sculpts you find and how well you pose them to create a story.
That faun!!!! Wow!!!! What a beautiful creature!

I am looking forward to part V. Very Happy

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
I completely second Diana's comment. Unfortunately, also the part about needing to work. Smile

Great work all around, Ian! Reading through your text reminded me of the old fantastic pulp novels. Very nice!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That was quite the storyline, Ian. The “ugly dragon bone necklace” was funny. I like the use of the Faun from Pan’s Labyrinth.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Hah! I enjoyed reading all of that! Even though I really should be working... What a Face
Amazing what expressive head sculpts you find and how well you pose them to create a story.
That faun!!!! Wow!!!! What a beautiful creature!

I am looking forward to part V. Very Happy

Thank you very much, Diana, I'm delighted you liked it. I may have gotten lucky with the expressive heads in these shots. As you know, the thing about these heads is that they sometimes don't work. Or maybe it helped that I was probably influenced by them in building the story -- perhaps subconsciously? Smile
I love that faun figure. Picked it up just for itself, but I figured why not integrate into something sixth scale.

Randam Hajile wrote:I completely second Diana's comment. Unfortunately, also the part about needing to work. Smile

Great work all around, Ian! Reading through your text reminded me of the old fantastic pulp novels. Very nice!

Thank you very much, Ralf, I'm glad you liked it. Even the minimalistic text. I did try to go for a certain style, although I'm sure I did not do it much justice. And thank you for encouraging me to look into integrating non-sixth-scale characters in sixth-scale scenes.

Stryker2011 wrote:That was quite the storyline, Ian. The “ugly dragon bone necklace” was funny. I like the use of the Faun from Pan’s Labyrinth.

Thank you very much, Mark, I'm happy you liked it, especially considering it was really a prop for making a sequence of photos in its inception. And the attempt to be funny about silly relics and fine jewelry. Glad you appreciated the faun -- such an interesting design beautifully recreated as a figure. I might have preferred a sixth-scale version, but I thought this kinda worked.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Love the fantasy feel of this series, which gets better and better as it progresses. And the use of the Faun is great, and I love how well he integrates into a 1/6 scene. Now you have me looking at mine on the shelf with fresh eyes...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Love the fantasy feel of this series, which gets better and better as it progresses.  And the use of the Faun is great, and I love how well he integrates into a 1/6 scene.  Now you have me looking at mine on the shelf with fresh eyes...
Thank you very much, I'm delighted you liked it. Whatever my feelings about the film (which was impressive though perhaps overhyped), the design was irresistible, and so was this figure. So you have one too, huh? Dare we hope we'll see it make an appearance in the House of Seasons? Smile

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
What a fun read, I specially liked the bone necklace part. Also those atlanteans look really cool.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Lady of the Lake, Part IV (April 21, 2022) 1f60e

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
This is such a creative set of kitbashes...not to mention ingenious use of that Faun figure!

Curious what that dragon bone necklace bodes for them....

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:What a fun read, I specially liked the bone necklace part. Also those atlanteans look really cool.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And the tongue-in-cheek necklace and Atlantians, which are all digs (in more ways than one) at various things, but hopefully still fun.

skywalkersaga wrote:This is such a creative set of kitbashes...not to mention ingenious use of that Faun figure!

Curious what that dragon bone necklace bodes for them....

Thank you very much, I'm delighted you liked them, and approve of the Faun integration. Well the dragon bone necklace is meant to protect, but you may be giving me other ideas. We'll see. Smile

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
We need to get a t-shirt for the Lady of the Lake that says “I went to Burguz Andrun and all I got was this lousy necklace.” 😂

Very entertaining and beautifully photographed!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:We need to get a t-shirt for the Lady of the Lake that says “I went to Burguz Andrun and all I got was this lousy necklace.”   😂

Very entertaining and beautifully photographed!

That is funny... didn't think of that. I'm very happy you enjoyed it.

Ovy

Ovy
Beautiful, seems like you are taking your figures into a new fantasy world building now?

I really like that Steward background character, he looks great, also that posing with the hands behind his back.

Again I hear that Conan soundtrack in my head, that "Theology and Civilization" piece.

Like the characterization of strong silent guy and loudmouth. They definitely steal the show of "our champion."

You definitely need to give the captain a chicken leg or something to put into his wide mouth. The headsculpt looks like a lot of fun, he could scream in drinking halls and taverns, shout from mountains and ship's keel.

The Faun will make a great Anti-Hero, hope you keep him around for a while.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Beautiful, seems like you are taking your figures into a new fantasy world building now?

I really like that Steward background character, he looks great, also that posing with the hands behind his back.

Again I hear that Conan soundtrack in my head, that "Theology and Civilization" piece.

Like the characterization of strong silent guy and loudmouth. They definitely steal the show of "our champion."

You definitely need to give the captain a chicken leg or something to put into his wide mouth. The headsculpt looks like a lot of fun, he could scream in drinking halls and taverns, shout from mountains and ship's keel.

The Faun will make a great Anti-Hero, hope you keep him around for a while.
Thank you very much Ovy, I'm glad you enjoyed them. To be honest, I'm not completely organized about world building or casting, but felt I needed to make the characters work in a storyline. And then one thing led to another, the story led to new characters, they led to more story. Smile

I love Poledouris' Conan music! 

The Steward is more or less an HY HH Persian cavalryman without the armor, on a seamless body and with a different head. I do like how he turned out, glad you did too. The High Priestess' guard is also a reconstituted and transferred-to-seamless HY HH thing (Carthage Infantry), minus the non-historical bits. Both were experiments in and of themselves, but I figured they look fantastical and unusual enough to include here.

Oh yes, someone needs a chill pill, or to feed and drink to his heart's content. Pretty soon it's going to be awkward explaining him always in the middle of a rant. Smile The Champion is definitely suspicious and jealous of the mercenaries, on several counts.

Hmmm... do I want to make the Faun a bad guy -- I mean more than he already is, having worked for the pursuer of the Lady... Anyway, I love that figure so much, he will likely appear more. Glad you like him too.

ukshaun

ukshaun
The one wearing purple dress and gold (Wonder Woman?) head-gear features a great portrait.
Good writing to boot!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Valiarde

Valiarde
Ah, I missed this thread. Gub in his element of telling great visual stories. You figures and especially the heads really fitting those scenes. And I just really like that Elvish Woman in her white cloak and with the crown. 

Now, I just need to read the full story.

blackpool

blackpool
Loved it! Now waiting for part V!!!

On a side note the background works super well with the lighting, it gives such a dramatic ambiance, very well done! Oh n Joel seems to fit perfectly that era!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:The one wearing purple dress and gold (Wonder Woman?) head-gear features a great portrait.
Good writing to boot!

Thank you very much, Shaun, glad you liked it. It is indeed the Wonder Woman head gear. I think the portrait looks better with that head gear on. It is not bad at all, actually, but a little strange for no reason I can pinpoint. I used it on the S47B head in the TBLeague catalog thread. I'm happy you liked the writing.

Valiarde wrote:Ah, I missed this thread. Gub in his element of telling great visual stories. You figures and especially the heads really fitting those scenes. And I just really like that Elvish Woman in her white cloak and with the crown. 

Now, I just need to read the full story.

I'm delighted you liked the visuals, including the Lady (who still needs a name -- or is it better I haven't given any of them names?). Hope you like the story too. Smile

blackpool wrote:Loved it! Now waiting for part V!!!

On a side note the background works super well with the lighting, it gives such a dramatic ambiance, very well done! Oh n Joel seems to fit perfectly that era!

Thank you very much, Alex, I'm glad you liked it. This all started with experimenting with shooting figures against a background displayed on the computer monitor. Wish I had a bigger monitor, this limits my possibilities. I did create a couple of "low walls" made of hewn stones or random rocks, or curved up the soft grass cover to obscure the lower frame of the screen, so I have more vertical space to play with. So the experimentation continues. Good spotting, it is Joel indeed, in somewhat fanciful Persian dress.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Such a great Storytelling, Characters and Settings. The headsculpts are well choosen for the characters. Love them. And a fantasy creature ! Fantasy nouvels and creatures. Yay !
Thanks for the entertainment. I really enjoy it. Can´t wait to see more. And Yes, the stewart is my favorite too. Ten Years ago, i knew every new Headsculpt in 1:6 they did. Now there are so many fantastic Heads... Great.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Such a great Storytelling, Characters and Settings. The headsculpts are well choosen for the characters. Love them. And a fantasy creature ! Fantasy nouvels and creatures. Yay !
Thanks for the entertainment. I really enjoy it. Can´t wait to see more. And Yes, the stewart is my favorite too. Ten Years ago, i knew every new Headsculpt in 1:6 they did. Now there are so many fantastic Heads... Great.

Thank you, Ephiane. I'm delighted you liked it, and very flattered by your response, not least because you are the Queen of medieval-ish fantasy quest. I hope to do a little more (already have a few more shots of the high priestess) and hope you'll like the next installment.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Excellent characters Ian! Must have missed this post, though, I suspect that even after being here for over a year, there are still loads of gems hiding in posts I have yet to discover!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Excellent characters Ian! Must have missed this post, though, I suspect that even after being here for over a year, there are still loads of gems hiding in posts I have yet to discover!

Thank you very much, Dal, I'm glad you liked them. I've already made a bunch more of these characters and working on them and others, but haven't gotten around to photographing or working on story-lines.

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:
BAMComix wrote:Excellent characters Ian! Must have missed this post, though, I suspect that even after being here for over a year, there are still loads of gems hiding in posts I have yet to discover!

Thank you very much, Dal, I'm glad you liked them. I've already made a bunch more of these characters and working on them and others, but haven't gotten around to photographing or working on story-lines.

Fantastic! I shall look forward to seeing those when they pop up bounce .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Fantastic! I shall look forward to seeing those when they pop up bounce .
Thank you again. One, essentially a clothing transfer, is going to pop up real soon in the next installment of Clothing Seamless Bodies. But yes, I mean to continue this present thread, too.

Melancholia

Ohmigosh, I can't imagine the time and effort it took to take all those photos, I know I have a hell of a time fighting with just one figure at a time to get a decent photo. They always seem to want to sabotage all my efforts...hair in the face, tipping over, clothes falling apart...kudos on such a grand photostory!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum