OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How To: Paper Towel Ponchos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Hi folks,
I've been making a lot of paper towel goodies lately and thought I'd show a step-by-step of the process I used to make ponchos for my Mudtroopers.

You'll need:
• 1 sheet of plain paper towel, no designs or brands imprinted on it if you can manage it.
• Hockey tape + Scissors
• Paper Clip + Wire cutters (For a wired collar)
• Gel Superglue
• Clear Floor Polish
• Carnation Ribbon (optional)

Step 1:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097207871_65a1fca091_c
Your Paper Towel.

Step 2:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097207881_85c6d93de9_c
Fold the paper towel in half. You can glue both sides together. This will help strengthen the material, and still allow for a good 'drape' on the figure after shaping.

As an alternative you could line one side of the paper towel with strips of hockey tape, though this could make the material 'stiffer', with a bit less 'drape'.

After the fold, cut the towel in half.

Step 3:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097305532_7747f7d6ae_c
Fold one corner of the paper. This will serve as the 'hood' area. The mudtrooper ponchos were based off the Russian Plash Palatka.
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Plash-palatka-soldat_zpsbea4b32c
Flatten and cut your paper clip. Make sure to not make the wire too long. The wired collar assembly will be installed just below the fold area.

Step 4:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097208031_3d4c74e075_c
Cut a section of hockey tape. Fold the tape over the ends of the wire, then over on itself. This will help prevent the wire from punching through the material, and your fingers.

Step 5:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097305537_e0358aff1f_c
Trim the tape. Position the wire assembly with the wire towards the top, just below the fold for the hood.

Step 6:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097208026_e669e288f5_c
Secure the wire assembly with either more tape, or gel super glue. Here I did both.

Step 7:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097207826_c2d61b5928_c
Flip the paper over, run a bead of glue along the edges and apply carnation ribbon. This can serve as a cosmetic feature, and also a little extra binding for the two halves of the paper.

Step 8:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097251558_09fed218e1_c
You have two ponchos!

Step 9:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097207901_a5d5777fac_c
Paint. Using diluted acrylic, apply several coats of paint, allowing the material to dry in between application. Do this to both the outside and inside of the ponchos.

Step 10:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097207911_dde36613fc_c
Floor Polish application. Brush it on, at least one coat or two, both sides, allowing the material to dry in between application.

Step 11:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097251578_be8eff00f7_c
Once dry, form the wire around the neck of your figure. You can also add a bit of carnation ribbon as a retention string to help keep the poncho secure.

Step 12:
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097251573_6ce6c8ffb3_c
Paint the ribbon, then apply floor polish for a little extra stiffness.

Then you're all set. You can apply weathering and dry brushing on top of the floor polish if you see fit.
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097239423_d6d08375e2_c

2How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 am

blackpool

blackpool
Thanks a lot for the step by step, the result is awesome (that last pic is gorgeous! The mud trooper is definitely my favorite feature in Solo)

3How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
blackpool wrote:Thanks a lot for the step by step, the result is awesome (that last pic is gorgeous! The mud trooper is definitely my favorite feature in Solo)

My pleasure man, thanks for checking it out! The Mudtroopers are definitely up there in my favourite trooper types now, thanks to that film.

And the figures themselves are wickedly cool.
How To: Paper Towel Ponchos 48097212301_454f2f0d05_c

4How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very cool, thank you for posting. I also like the mud trooper -- even if simply as regular imperial infantry that happens to be deployed in a muddy environment in my book -- and got two of them myself. Your ponchos make them much cooler than the original sets though.

5How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Very cool, thank you for posting. I also like the mud trooper -- even if simply as regular imperial infantry that happens to be deployed in a muddy environment in my book -- and got two of them myself. Your ponchos make them much cooler than the original sets though.

Thanks man, happy to share the process. Now if you wanna upgrade your Troopers you have the guide Wink

It was neat seeing certain elements of the sculpt on these guys that was a bit hidden under factory paint, like the fact that they have jackboots with armor shin plates strapped to the front of 'em.

6How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What a great tutorial. Thanks for all the details. Well done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

How To: Paper Towel Ponchos C8485110

7How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Stryker2011 wrote:What a great tutorial. Thanks for all the details. Well done.
Thanks for checking it out, Mark!

8How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:54 am

Ovy

Ovy
Great tutorial, they look much more in scale than any fabric would, I think.

And the helmet option with the goggles down is one of my favourites, it has that anonymous autocratic judgedreddy vibe.
Is the mudtrooper's armor the only one where you use metal colored material under the paint? My interpretation is that the mudtrooper's armour is of a cheaper, maybe heavier and less sturdy material than the stormtroopers plastic-like armour.

9How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Excellent tutorial. Thanks much.

10How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot guys!

Ovy wrote:Great tutorial, they look much more in scale than any fabric would, I think.

And the helmet option with the goggles down is one of my favourites, it has that anonymous autocratic judgedreddy  vibe.
Is the mudtrooper's armor the only one where you use metal colored material under the paint? My interpretation is that the mudtrooper's armour is of a cheaper, maybe heavier and less sturdy material than the stormtroopers plastic-like armour.

Actually on most my armored repaints I'll give them a wash of wrought iron acrylic, then layer the paint on top of 'em after. If I'm going for more of a metallic look, I'll use some graphite from a pencil for a little extra gleam.

It was a bit interesting to see just how under-armored the Mudtroopers are. They have the shin guards and the chest/shoulder armor, whereas Stormtroopers are fully armored. Gives much more of a Cannon Fodder feel to the Muddy Boys.

11How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:27 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting technique. I should look into the wrought iron acrylic (is this Vallejo? -- been using their gunmetal grey and blue, and oily and natural steel). As for the graphite (which sounds like an excellent idea for highlights), doesn't that rub off?

12How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Interesting technique. I should look into the wrought iron acrylic (is this Vallejo? -- been using their gunmetal grey and blue, and oily and natural steel). As for the graphite (which sounds like an excellent idea for highlights), doesn't that rub off?

Actually the Wrought Iron that I use is by FolkArt, the Walmart brand.
https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-Acrylic-Assorted-Colors-Wrought/dp/B001BETLSG

The graphite can rub off, but I put a layer of floor polish on to seal 'er up, Can add another layer of graphite ontop of that as well, which can help lead to a worn metal look as it rubs.

13How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:50 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:Actually the Wrought Iron that I use is by FolkArt, the Walmart brand.

The graphite can rub off, but I put a layer of floor polish on to seal 'er up, Can add another layer of graphite ontop of that as well, which can help lead to a worn metal look as it rubs.

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen FolkArt acrylics around, I think I have some of their precious metals ones. Do you think the other metal colors would work to improve the FIFA Table Football game I showcased and make it look more realistic?

14How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Empty Re: How To: Paper Towel Ponchos Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:
PickleMunkey wrote:Actually the Wrought Iron that I use is by FolkArt, the Walmart brand.

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen FolkArt acrylics around, I think I have some of their precious metals ones. Do you think the other metal colors would work to improve the FIFA Table Football game I showcased and make it look more realistic?

Yeah I think they could work pretty well! At the very least, worth a shot, eh?
You may need to work the colour in in wash-layers but I think it could definitely help.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum