OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Most of us who enjoyed Rogue One found Krennic to be an interesting enough antagonist, especially considering that he was disposable, unlike Tarkin and Vader, who had to survive the film. If that translates to hoping for a sixth-scale figure of him, I suspect I am not alone in being disappointed that neither of the high-end companies (Sideshow and Hot Toys) that produce Star Wars figures in this scale seems to have any intention of making a Krennic figure. That void is partly filled by Disney's elite series Director Orson Krennic premium action figure.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni10

I am not very familiar with this line, although I have their very diminutive Leia. While there has been concern over the scale of Disney's figures, that does not seem to be an issue in Krennic's case. The Krennic premium action figure stands about 11.75" (almost 30 cm), which is about right for actor Ben Mendelsohn's real-lige 5'11" height translated into sixth scale.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni11

The figure comes in a clear-plastic and cardboard box. It is secured to the inner cardboard shell with a single twisty tie and is overall fairly collector-friendly.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni12

The head sculpt and paint are quite good, considering. Yes, the skin tone is consistent, the eyes feature the dreaded doll dot, and the hair is a tad too brown (though greyish brown). Despite some sculpting and texturing, the skin is a bit too smooth for Krennic's characteristic weathered look. In fact, I am reminded of an Are You Being Served episode, where it was pointed out that the mannequin based on Mrs Slocombe looked younger, because the store owner refused to shell out the extra money to sculpt all the wrinkles. That said, this figure retails for 10 times less than it would have, had it been produced by Sideshow or Hot Toys. For that very reasonable price, you get a very recognizable likeness of Ben Mendelsohn as Krennic, and that in itself is quite impressive. The quality of the sculpt and paint of other sculpted elements (badge, belt, gloves, boots, holster, grenades (?), gun) are also not Hot Toys quality, but still pretty good, especially if you want a slightly worn/weathered look.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni14

The figure comes wearing Krennic's characteristic uniform from the film: white officer's tunic with rank badge and cylinders, black officer's trousers, black gloves, belt, and boots, as well as a billowing white cape. Everything except the tunic, pants, and cape is made of molded plastic.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni23

This is all quite screen-accurate. That said, one might say the pants flare out just a little too much, and the cut of the cape is not quite right at the shoulders, which is probably my least favorite thing about this product.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni24

It is sometimes difficult to keep the voluminous cape under control in a reasonably realistic manner. Part of the problem may be the choice of a relatively thick denim-like material for the cape. I suppose if you wanted to customize you could easily remove it and replace it with something of your choice.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni13

The molded plastic parts of the outfit are quite functional. The belt, for example, can be unbuckled and removed; the holster holds the gun very well; the gloved hands come in two parts (hand and cuff) allowing for improved articulation; the boots are also made of two pieces (shoe and lower leg, with the shoe part given toe articulation to boot -- all puns intended). Although getting the right look requires some futzing, this is all pretty well done and allows good articulation.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni19

Speaking of articulation, there is plenty of it: double jointed knees and elbows, decent ab crunch , ankles, and thighs. The figure can take reasonably natural poses and stand well on its own (there is no base provided anyway). One minor disappointment is the single-piece head and neck, precluding articulation at the base of the skull; moreover, the head and neck are sculpted in such a way, that Krennic seems to be looking slightly up most of the time; trying to position the head so that he would look down can result in popping it off at the base of the neck.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni20

The figure comes with the following accessories (counting what is not permanently part of the outfit). A spare pair of gloved hands (relaxed hands, to supplement the trigger hands that come on the figure), a weathered gun, three grenades (?) that can fit onto the right side of the belt (one of them comes installed in place); the belt itself is easily removable (although I do not see why one would want to do that unless placing the outfit on a different body). Both pairs of gloved hands have their own separate molded plastic cuffs; since I don't expect them to be sculpted differently, I thought that to be a bit curious.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni25

Here are some shots of Disney's Krennic alongside a few Hot Toys characters from Rogue One and A New Hope. Remember that Death Troopers are unusually tall.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni17

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni18

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni15

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni16

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni21

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni26

This Krennic figure was a Disney Store exclusive, but is available in plenty of other places. It retails for around $20 USD (and often a little below that), which is what makes it an even more attractive and impressive product. That is, as pointed out above, ten times less than what it would cost if it were produced by a high-end company; it is also as much as (or less than) the all-plastic 6 inch Black Series Krennic by Hasbro, which is far inferior in every way. If you do want to pick one up, there are plenty of options on amazon and eBay.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure Krenni22

Overall, and especially considering the price, this seems like a very nice product. Customizers may improve on it with a repaint, or kitbashing security-bureau officers who wore a very similar outfit (except that their white was a bit more cream-colored).

What do you think?

#productreview #starwars #rogueone #disney #male #film

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s not bad. Tons of people complaining about HT not making one; with a decent repaint and perhaps a body swap, this could be a fairly good alternative. The sculpt looks pretty good overall.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:That’s not bad. Tons of people complaining about HT not making one; with a decent repaint and perhaps a body swap, this could be a fairly good alternative. The sculpt looks pretty good overall.

I agree -- even the brush strokes (if you use a paintbrush) might give it a more wrinkled look to begin with.

scalawag

scalawag
Great review mate, and I have to say that whilst not at HT/SS standards for sculpt and Finnish this is still a very good figure from Disney.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you very much. I think so too (about the figure), though I confess I picked up a second one specifically to kitbash into an imperial security bureau officer like Yularen.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Kicking myself for not getting one when the Disney Store were selling them off. Still want one.

CHEERS

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Paul!
Roger -- don't kick yourself, just look at eBay and Amazon. They are selling for good prices, often less than the (almost) $20 I mentioned. I seem to remember seeing it for 10 pounds a couple of days ago.
Good luck.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Cool, I could have had him for £5 but put it off till it was too late! I'll have another look sometime.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
Nice review, sir. Thank you.

Surely looks like a pretty good figure and the price is certainly attractive.

JohnByng

Nice review! I did not know about this figure I just bought one - had to pay quite a lot for it but the postage from US to UK is much more expensive than the figure so I got one in GBP.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you very much, JohnByng. I hope you like it. For the price it is certainly a good product, though prices may have gone up as supplies gradually went down.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
They need to put out more figures in this line!

Skippy

I picked up 5 Krennics when they went on sale.

He was the standout figure from that line, and the body is great for shorter, smaller figures.

Krennic saved my QMx Picard.

In related news, yesterday Argos put the Interactech Stormtroopers on sale for £3.99 each. I ordered two and they offered free shipping for today - your mileage may vary but Argos always seem to offer me the free shipping option.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5804483

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good choice, Asta.
How did Krennic save your QMX Picard?
And I hope Roger notices this, because he could use some of those Interactech stormtroopers (or their helmets) for his Bandai.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Good choice, Asta.
How did Krennic save your QMX Picard?

Picard was essentially a really good figure, but for the choice of body.

Having recourse only to existing bodies QMx went for the Ganghood 2.0, which is a small muscle body initially designed for creating Bruce Lee figures. As it was a muscle body, and because their sculpts have necks, they cut the rubber neck off.

For height and build it's a good choice for Patrick Stewart, but for one thing: the shoulders sloped too much.

The Krennic body is a match for size, but the shoulders are squarer, therefore giving Picard his characteristic appearance.

GubernatorFan wrote:And I hope Roger notices this, because he could use some of those Interactech stormtroopers (or their helmets) for his Bandai.

My two arrived today and they look really good for £3.99 each with free next day delivery. I watched Dean Knight's review from 2016 and he paid £30 each for his pair. affraid

While they only have 7 points of articulation the sculpting is crisp and the arms are slightly bent to make them hang naturally.

I liked them so much placed in amongst higher end figures that I ordered another 8 today. It seemed rude not to. Very Happy

Though how Argos are making much money out of these is difficult to fathom - especially when my first order amounted to a grand total of £7.98 and was delivered by Yodel (the knock and run courier).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the explanation about Krennic/Picard. I hadn't thought of that.

At that price, I can't fault you at all for buying a total of 10. I have six, five of which I have used for their helmets, which replaced the oversized Bandai 1/6 helmets. The proportions and size are better, even if the quality is not (part of this -- the paint -- is easily fixable; the rough mold detachment area -- less so). These are theoretically the best sixth-scale stormtrooper helmets out there, affordable and flawed as they might be.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nice thought, but, I am still happy with my Bandai. He's all the stormie I need. If they had a Krennic for £3.99, that would be a different story!

Hmm, a Krennic body for Picard. Interesting, though loose Picard parts could still cost.

CHEERS!

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:Nice thought, but, I am still happy with my Bandai. He's all the stormie I need. If they had a Krennic for £3.99, that would be a different story!

Hmm, a Krennic body for Picard. Interesting, though loose Picard parts could still cost.

CHEERS!

The cheapest I managed to get Krennic was £14.99 each on the Disney UK site. They sold out fast.

Here's Picard with his body:

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure 34885295212_01fa1028fb_z

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice custom Picard. How easily did the hands fit onto the Disney body?

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nice custom Picard. How easily did the hands fit onto the Disney body?

I can't recall having any problem with them.

The Krennic body was a bit of a revelation as it's far better than the kind Hasbro used to use on their cheap figures.

The other four bodies were used for two Redman Lethal Weapon Riggs figures, Sideshow's Snowspeeder Luke, and a kitbashed Devil's Brigade Wolverine.

I used three of the Krennic uniforms. Two on narrow shoulder clone bodies, one with a Krennic head and one using the DAM SR-71 Donald Sutherland sculpt to make a Wullf Yularen.

The third used Picard's body, which mean cutting Krennic's neck down to fit at the right height.

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure 32538299104_90ed7bbee5_c

StarWars - Product Review Disney Star Wars Elite Series Director Orson Krennic Premium Action Figure 32534434134_2a3b899946_c

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I've kitbashed a security bureau officer (Yularen?) with one of my two Krennic figures, but I used the gloves and boots it comes with so far, since I did not change the body. Hence my questions. Looks like you changed boots on Picard too -- was that easy as well?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL, we made the same custom Yularen, except for the cape (Yularen doesn't wear one), belt, and hands (I left him with gloves on for now).

Skippy

It was some time ago, but as I remember the Krennic body has pretty standard wrist and ankle pegs.

I took the cape off the uniform I used for the Picard body for variety, but didn't think to use that tunic for Yularen.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Picard does look rather good, as does Yularen. Nice bashing!

CHEERS!

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:Picard does look rather good, as does Yularen. Nice bashing!

CHEERS!

Thanks, and to Gubernator too.

It's rare we get something as useful and as fun as the Krennic figure which only costs a fraction of a high end figure.

I'm still waiting for the Forces of Destiny Ahsoka to show up for pre-order in the UK. Entertainment Earth in the US had a supply a little while ago, but every other retailer seems to be wondering what happened to her.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum