OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

brassco

brassco
For more than 300 years, Cleopatra’s family ruled Egypt. She was born the third child of King Ptolemy XII in 69 BC. Her name meant “glory of the father”. At only 18 years old, Cleopatra became Queen of Egypt and was regarded as a great beauty, even in the ancient world. Eager to take advantage of Julius Caesar’s, Cleopatra had herself smuggled secretly into the palace rolled up in a carpet. She became Caesar’s mistress, and nine months after their first meeting, in 47 BC, Cleopatra gave birth to their son, nicknamed Caesarion. But it was Mark Antony who actually captivated her heart and for whom she truly fell in love with.  Her legacy survives in numerous works of art and the many dramatizations of her story in literature and other media, including this astonishing 1/6th scale action figure.

Packing List:

1)      1 x head sculpt
2)      1 x TBLeague female seamless body with metal skeleton
3)      3 pairs x interchangeable hands
4)      1 pair x flat feet
5)      1 pair x high-heel feet
6)      1 x neck armor
7)      1 x chest guard
Cool      1 x headwear
9)      1 x skirt
10)    1 x armlet
11)    1 x small snakelike bracelet worn around the arm
12)    1 x long snakelike bracelet worn around the leg
13)    1 pair x forearm armors
14)    1 pair x anklets
15)    1 x scepter
16)    1 x Egyptian crook
17)    1 x Egyptian flail
18)    1 x thong
19)    1 x Sphinx
20)    1 x cobra
21)    1 x base

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  01
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  02
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  03
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  04
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  05

The package is a little thicker than usual. As usual, industry standard packaging and cover designs. Although there is no manual, there is a manual on how to play with the phicen body.

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  06
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  07
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  08
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  09

First look at the contents. There are 2 layers. There are no base for the main figure, but for the Sphinx. Not a lot of accessories, and not too much challenge to put on the rest of it on the main figure.

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  10
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  11
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  12
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  13
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  14
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  15
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  16

Close up shots of the Sphinx and the Cobra.

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  17
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  18
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  19
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  IMG-20190828-124645
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  IMG-20190828-124727

The main figure. Most of the clothes and accessories are already on. All attires can be removed. This is a Suntan figure (the new Suntan), it's just my cellphone camera not doing it justice.

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  20
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  21
PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  22

The headwear is much better than the PL2017-87 Cleo. I am now thinking of dethroning Cleo and let Cleopatra to take the reign. Since there are so much criticism around the western looking HS, this HS might be closer to the historic image of Cleopatra. But to me, she looks a bit Chinese!

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  23

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That head piece looks like it was based on the Elizabeth Taylor movie. I want that snake, though it probably would have made more sense for her to come with an Aspis (or Asp).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Nice review and photos! The headdress is indeed gorgeous. She looks like someone at an Egyptian-themed ‘fancy dress’ (aka costume) party. Wink

And yeah, that cobra is awesome — there need to be more detailed 1/6 snakes! I’ve been looking for some for ages. Some rattlesnakes, especially, but any would do .... even better if they were articulated (I mean how hard could it be??). Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for posting your review of the figure. It is a striking set, executed with all the love and care TBLeague has been known to provide. The cobra is gorgeous, whether or not it would make sense to associate it with Cleopatra. While I love it visually, as someone with a historical bent, I cannot fail but note that it is completely fantasy, and inaccurate even for more ancient real Egyptians, never mind the Greco-Macedonian Kleopatra VII; in that sense skywalkersaga is absolutely right: this is like a fancy dress up. It may draw some inspiration from the lavish Elizabeth Taylor movie, but perhaps indirectly: note the ARH logo, suggesting that this is based on their work; perhaps the TBLeague creation is faithful to that source. I agree she is more plausible than their earlier blonde bombshell Cleo, but it doesn't take much to say that. Our historical gripes notwithstanding, it is a beautiful figure.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, it is beautiful, and the way you have it lit with that warm lighting really highlights it’s positive qualities. The close up pics that show all the detail on the headdress are particular striking.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
This is a gorgeous fantasy version of Cleopatra, who historically was apparently not all that pretty, but had massive sexual charms anyway.  My only real complaint, were I to buy this figure (I won't) is that the cobra figure is of an Indian or "spectacled" cobra, (Naja naja) rather than an Egyptian cobra, (Naja haje)

While Naja haje has a wide distribution in North and subtropical Africa, Naja naja is not to be found anywhere in Africa. Naja haje has a much narrower hood and does not have the distinctive spectacle marking on the back unique to Naja naja. The hood scales of the sake are also all wrong, being much to large and overlapping as if they expanded while the snake spread it's hood when in fact it's the skin that expands and the scales stay the same size. What we should be seeing really, is the scales the same size as elsewhere on the body withe visible skin surrounding them.

Can anyone tell I have an unusual interest in venomous snakes? (Snark)

However the main attraction in this set is Cleopatra, not the snake and the Cleopatra figure is awesome.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, but it strikes me as a little strange that you don't mind that Cleopatra is almost totally wrong (they are right pretty much only that she was a woman and probably a brunette), but mind about the snake. Smile

MerylAkiba

Was the bra meant or design for a larger bust body? From the side it looks like it would fit the female muscular big bust body. Also is this a different head design form Anuk? From a two feet distance, it appears similar to cowgirl.

Does ARH Studios have final say on the figure or does TBLeague just make whatever? Before Snow Soldier, it was going to be Goblin Queen. Zenescope Keres had Blood Queens wand/sceptre and Goblin Queen's base diorama?

The skin tone on the original ARH statue looks as though it would of matched the old suntan or still current male suntan body color.

the Arh statue head sculpt kind of reminded me of Anne Baxter

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  The-ten-commandments-1956-exodus-moses-charlton-heston-35

shazzdan

shazzdan
Agreed that the snake is the best part, except for the fact that this species only lives in Asia.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Ok, but it strikes me as a little strange that you don't mind that Cleopatra is almost totally wrong (they are right pretty much only that she was a woman and probably a brunette), but mind about the snake. Smile

That's probably because I know more about venomous snakes than I know about women Wink

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:Agreed that the snake is the best part, except for the fact that this species only lives in Asia.

And the scales on the hood are totally wrong.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:That head piece looks like it was based on the Elizabeth Taylor movie. I want that snake, though it probably would have made more sense for her to come with an Aspis (or Asp).

There is some historical dispute as to whether the "Aspis" Cleopatra is alleged to have used to kill herself was actually and Asp as we know them now or did the term apply to Egyptian cobras as well.

There is also some dispute as to whether she killed herself by snakebite at all, but that's an argument for another day.

blackpool

blackpool
Very nice pictures for a very cool review!

While I agree that this is definitely not historically accurate, I really love the "flavour" of this figure, like a classic hollywood tribute, Liz Taylor being the main reference as Cleopatra, but I really appreciate the colorful and quite fantasy design on this one, really looks like a movie costume from the 50's...

As for the snake, it is indeed wrong, but I tend to believe they made it on purpose as the Cobra is much more "esthaetic" or cinematic than the regular vipers... You can spot the exact same mistake in the first indiana jones movie, when they open the secret Ark room his friend mentions the snakes being "asps", but once indy falls inside, he faces a cobra... Hollywood's magic guys! Smile

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
blackpool wrote:Very nice pictures for a very cool review!

While I agree that this is definitely not historically accurate, I really love the "flavour" of this figure, like a classic hollywood tribute, Liz Taylor being the main reference as Cleopatra, but I really appreciate the colorful and quite fantasy design on this one, really looks like a movie costume from the 50's...

As for the snake, it is indeed wrong, but I tend to believe they made it on purpose as the Cobra is much more "esthaetic" or cinematic than the regular vipers... You can spot the exact same mistake in the first Indiana Jones movie, when they open the secret Ark room his friend mentions the snakes being "asps", but once indy falls inside, he faces a cobra... Hollywood's magic guys! Smile

I think the costume is far to racy and revealing for something that might have appeared in cinema in the 1950's or even the 60's when they shot Cleopatra, though I don't think the manufacturer was worried about either historical accuracy or mimicking the movie. It works for me in the sense that Cleopatra has a reputation as something of a sexpot and this figure certainly hits that mark.

There are cobras in Egypt, indeed over much of Africa. Simply not the the spectacled cobra provided with the figure,  Naja naja,  or the monocled cobra seen in Raiders, Naja kaouthia, both of which are found only in South Asia.

brassco

brassco
ThePhotogsBlog wrote: It works for me in the sense that Cleopatra has a reputation as something of a sexpot and this figure certainly hits that mark.

sexpot you say? Then this figure's thigh is a bit too thick, in my opinion. Is real life Cleo a fighter? The figure's arm is also a bit muscular, not to mention her abs...

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
brassco wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote: It works for me in the sense that Cleopatra has a reputation as something of a sexpot and this figure certainly hits that mark.

sexpot you say? Then this figure's thigh is a bit too thick, in my opinion. Is real life Cleo a fighter? The figure's arm is also a bit muscular, not to mention her abs...

Not everyone has the same tastes in women....

blackpool

blackpool
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

I think the costume is far to racy and revealing for something that might have appeared in cinema in the 1950's or even the 60's when they shot Cleopatra, though I don't think the manufacturer was worried about either historical accuracy or mimicking the movie.

You might want to give a watch at the movie, the head part and jewels are directly inspired by Liz Taylor's version of cleopatra...

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  R-ELIZABETH-TAYLOR-CLEOPATRA-large

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
blackpool wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

I think the costume is far to racy and revealing for something that might have appeared in cinema in the 1950's or even the 60's when they shot Cleopatra, though I don't think the manufacturer was worried about either historical accuracy or mimicking the movie.

You might want to give a watch at the movie, the head part and jewels are directly inspired by Liz Taylor's version of cleopatra...

PL2019-138 Cleopatra Queen of Egypt 1/6th Scale Action Figure  R-ELIZABETH-TAYLOR-CLEOPATRA-large

I have seen the movie, albeit decades ago. I wasn't talking about the head piece so much as the costume. The TB League figure's outfit is far more skimpy than what Taylor is wearing in the film.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I just ordered a bunch of loose parts from this set from Monkey Depot to help fill out my bashed Cleopatra. I’ll probably order Anubis, and see if I can’t get the heads enlarged.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I picked up the historically-accurate flail an crook scepters, but little else peaked my interest.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:I picked up the historically-accurate flail an crook scepters, but little else peaked my interest.

I got those, as well, but I also got the sphinx, the cobra, and the neck piece (though it's probably not "historically accurate"). I already have a few things from their previous Cleopatra figure.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I got those, as well, but I also got the sphinx, the cobra, and the neck piece (though it's probably not "historically accurate"). I already have a few things from their previous Cleopatra figure.

I was thinking about the cobra but didn't like the price. The sphinx looked less attractive to me with the new photos -- it has a certain "fake Egyptian" quality which is not altogether inappropriate for Ptolemaic or more generally Greco-Roman-Period art, but even by those standards it seemed a little off. The neck piece is Egyptian-inspired fantasy, although it is gorgeous. The same is true for the headgear.

shazzdan

shazzdan
There are hundreds of the Sphinx and other ancient Egyptian figurines on ebay that can be used for 1/6 dioramas. Factories in Cairo turn them out in the thousands for the tourist industry.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:I just ordered a bunch of loose parts from this set from Monkey Depot to help fill out my bashed Cleopatra. I’ll probably order Anubis, and see if I can’t get the heads enlarged.

They're great, aren't they?  I've been ordering loose parts from them once a week at least for the last few weeks...all to kit out my Pin-up Patrol gals and my new faction the way I want them.  I can't help myself...they keep putting up  stuff I need or want almost on a daily basis.  In short, I am spending way too much money there.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I just ordered a bunch of loose parts from this set from Monkey Depot to help fill out my bashed Cleopatra. I’ll probably order Anubis, and see if I can’t get the heads enlarged.

They're great, aren't they?  I've been ordering loose parts from them once a week at least for the last few weeks...all to kit out my Pin-up Patrol gals and my new faction the way I want them.  I can't help myself...they keep putting up  stuff I need or want almost on a daily basis.  In short, I am spending way too much money there.

It’s easy to do. It’s been too many years of buying parts from them to count. I have loads of heads, bodies, cloths, gear — still in boxes — waiting for something to inspire me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum