OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Ovy

skywalkersaga wrote:
Ovy wrote:No experience with Jiaous, but I recently washed and repainted my tbleague rainbow people. I didn't wash after applying the pastels, as a coat of powder magically removed all of the pastel residue.

Huh, interesting. What brand of oil pastels are you using?

I use Jaxon pastels, just a random brand available in most art supply stores in the area.  The powder I applied was baby powder.

https://www.amazon.de/Honsell-Jaxon-47436-Pastell-%C3%96lkreide/dp/B000FFR5KS/ref=pd_aw_sbs_229_1/259-5675875-0942649?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000FFR5KS&pd_rd_r=bf6bbd10-5c61-4122-ad38-316ce6730136&pd_rd_w=pEvja&pd_rd_wg=6AEfa&pf_rd_p=1433fd5c-a3a7-4041-8f35-49cb494b0f8f&pf_rd_r=EY22Z7YRZQBT6C83G5JJ&psc=1&refRID=EY22Z7YRZQBT6C83G5JJ

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Ovy wrote:No experience with Jiaous, but I recently washed and repainted my tbleague rainbow people. I didn't wash after applying the pastels, as a coat of powder magically removed all of the pastel residue.

Does that mean they don’t look the same as they did?

MerylAkiba

So, what I'm asking is whether you know of any way that one could possibly 'wash' the Jiaou body after applying the oil pastel to it in order to remove the pastel residue, but while avoiding using any kind of harsh soap that would cause the peeling?

Skywalkersaga, it is best that you do not wash the Jiaou figure. I should have changed what I posted,  but I thought it was buried. The reason about the water is that there is hard, soft, filtered, and distilled. I use the small mist sprayer that is in the paper aisle at hobby or craft stores when applying water. I recently tried a powdered chalk and pressing it into the figure. If applying the chalk with your finger, Do not rub back and forth. The fingerprints are akin to mini sandpaper. Just press and pat. You could use a make up brush that is soft to cover more area, but it is best to work in small areas. Jiaou tends to pick up color pigments akin to how people apply make-up on Large TPE.

I use color pastel chalk. Grind the chalk down with a sanding sponge or a washable nail file or sanding stick into a powder. Then I pick up the powder with my index finger and pat the area of the Jiaou.

My way of using this on TBL figures was I would have to either wash the figure. Next I use have to apply hot water to the color pastel. Then smear it on, which worked for my TBL Finn. But the nooks of the muscles need a touch up. Appying the powder on a jiaou figure is less of a process.

Sorry I don't post more often on my WIP and analysis projects, I got a Promotion, which means change in work schedule, people, and insurance. So much paper work. Sleep

skywalkersaga

Thank you for explaining -- that is a really interesting process that I hadn't seen anyone describe before. And with the soft pastels on the tbleague ... I've heard of people using those, but never with the hot water. I presume the hot water wouldn't be good for the Jiaou, though, just the light misting...correct? Is there a lot of colour transfer onto garments with that method? 

It seems the Jiaou body material is really delicate compared to the tbleague, in terms of how 'rough' you can be with it, what materials you can use with it or on it, and it seems to get easily scratched. But you also seem to have found ways of working around that, and I appreciate you sharing. : )

MerylAkiba

Is there a lot of colour transfer onto garments with that method?

Are you talking about if the color pastel will stain clothes? I want to say yes, but that is when I applied powder to a TBL. I recommend applying the clothes first, then apply the powder. Imagine wearing a white sweatshirt, then applying make up. I'm really bad at examples, sorry.

This is an example of Finn TBL using the oil color pastels dunking the end in hot water (Microwave water) and pressing it in.

Powdered pastel Chalk won't hold on to a TBL, and stained the loincloth. So I used oil pastel.

Jiaou seems more friendly with adhering powdered color chalk.

(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review - Page 2 Img_3011
(NSFW) Jiaou 3.0 European body color review - Page 2 Img_3010

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks like it worked pretty well. And interesting look.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the extra explanation and examples! I’m always interested in learning various methods. Appreciate you taking the time to share. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I was out most of the day yesterday and didn't get a chance to write a more detailed reply. 

I realize now I had misunderstood what you'd said originally, and thought you were using hot water with the soft pastels, but I get it now. You are sort of melting the oil pastels a little bit to make them apply more smoothly onto the tbleague bodies, is that correct? And you don't use oil pastels on the Jiaou bodies at all, but rather use soft pastels, which you can apply in powdered form either via gentle patting with fingertips or brushing onto the surface with soft makeup brush. 

Just a few more questions about that method: 

- You said that misting the Jiaou body with water should be enough of a prep before applying the powered soft pastel -- do you need to manually dry the body after doing that, or is it best to just mist it and let it air-dry for a bit, and then apply the pastels? 

- If I didn't want to risk scratching the Jiaou surface with my nails, could I use a very soft makeup sponge/applicator? 

- once the soft pastels are applied to the Jiaou body, do you need to mist it again to 'rinse' the residue, or do you just leave it as it is? If you mist it with water again, I'm guessing you'd need to apply a protective powder afterward once it dries?

- Re: the colour transfer question -- Yes, sorry about that, I was referring to whether or not there was colour transfer when using soft pastels on a Jiaou, and would this transfer onto clothing. I'd be putting the clothing on the figure after the powdered soft pastel application.  

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is all obvious info -- I've never applied 'makeup' to this type of material so would not have a single clue about it if you hadn't explained. ; )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

davidd

davidd
Extremely helpful information! Looks like a KT004 might be a good introductory Jiaou, as it more or less matches a variety of head sculpts. Thanx for the detailed photos and descriptions!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum