OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 21]

41tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 24 May 2018 - 6:18

blackpool

awesome thread! Thanks @Ephiane for the super interesting insight, I'd love to see more "behind the scene" from your projects, your work is so inspiring!

42tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 24 May 2018 - 7:23

Pontiacivan

This is such a useful thread!
I don't have any seamless bodies, but the information here is fascinating and so many people have wanted to do this over the years!
Hat's off to all the great tips!

43tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 17 Jul 2018 - 8:58

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I finally got around to painting an entire functional TBLeague seamless body with the oil pastels. They do not seem to be very easy to mix where brown colors are concerned, so I stuck to one color (Van Dyke Brown), which matches a couple of the heads I have gotten pretty closely. Matching the result with acrylics for the harder plastic hands and feet has been a pain, however, and still a work in progress (using the pastel on the harder plastic does not work as well, since I was able to rub it off with a q tip). Anyway, here is the result. I am just showing the possibility, so don't get hung up on how suitable the body is for the character or why he's wearing Manchester United shorts. Smile

I used Staedtler oil pastels on the M30 body after having washed it with soap and water (to make it sticky) and dried it. Then I used a makeup sponge on the pastel, rinsed and dried the body again, and applied protective powder. Almost no color transfer from the pastel to the clothing (probably should have done more smoothing with the sponge and rinsing).

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Mtyson10

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Mtyson11

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Mtyson12

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Mtyson13

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

44tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 17 Jul 2018 - 15:16

Ephiane

Fantastic ! You did it ! Ladys and Gentlemen... the first Phicen African Body !

45tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 17 Jul 2018 - 16:30

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Ephiane! You made it all possible after sharing your discovery.

46tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 3:48

MarkEl

Really impressive results with the oil pastels, and thanks all for being so descriptive about the techniques. Tempted to try this on a spare white M34 Death Dealer body. I’m curious to know about the stability over time both in terms of colour and any material deterioration. Oil and some types of silicone don’t mix. For example, oil is often used as a destabiliser for silicone sealant to remove it. Some silicones are more oil resistant. No idea what Phicen’s recipe is though!

47tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 9:42

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote: I’m curious to know about the stability over time both in terms of colour and any material deterioration.  Oil and some types of silicone don’t mix.  For example, oil is often used as a destabiliser for silicone sealant to remove it.  Some silicones are more oil resistant.  No idea what Phicen’s recipe is though!

Ephiane and others can answer this better than me. The African body repaint is only a few days old. My original experiment (on the de-skeletalized M31 body) is a few weeks (actually almost two months) older than that, and no real issues yet. The only minor/tangent issue is that (given my typical lack of patience) I need to do more smoothing with the makeup sponge or maybe more rinsing before applying the protective powder, as there is a tiny amount of pastel transferring on tight clothing. The body does not become discolored, and I have noticed no issues with its silicon surface.

48tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 17:33

Ephiane

Ephiane
The oil pastels are on my Figures for months now and the phichen skin is in excellent condition. On the green body i used nail polish remover, very aggressiv stuff. I do this because i want the body in his old color for a another bash. no way, it´s still green ... but the effect is it looks more shiny now.

Don´t know what kind of silicon phichen used, but i´m sure they will not tell us Very Happy

49tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 14:44

MerylAkiba

Now I'm going to have to give oil pastels a try. I've been avoiding it out of fear. I'm still using chalk pastels, which takes longer on a M34. does anyone use shu uemara oil products to remove stains?

50tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 16:07

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn GubernatorFan, that came out great. Since as of now TBL has only done that one thin AA body, I feel like this pastel trick is going to be the way to go for a while still, not to mention more exotic colors I'm sure will still be needed for fantasy and scifi figures. And seeing that Tyson head on the M30 body, he looks intense as hell.

51tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 17:46

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn GubernatorFan, that came out great.  Since as of now TBL has only done that one thin AA body, I feel like this pastel trick is going to be the way to go for a while still, not to mention more exotic colors I'm sure will still be needed for fantasy and scifi figures.  And seeing that Tyson head on the M30 body, he looks intense as hell.

Thank you, ReverendSpooky! The pastel trick does seem to be working pretty well. One limitation is that these pastels don't quite mix like normal paints, and there isn't much choice with the browns, at least from the several brands I have seen. The Mike Tyson heads work well with this, and here's another, Soldier Story's Jamie Foxx head, that works reasonably well (though not quite as well). The Wesley Snipes and John Boyega heads are too dark for this.

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Jamief10

52tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed 1 Aug 2018 - 14:51

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
So I picked up one of those cool Michael Rooker/Yondu heads (just couldn't resist the excellent craftsmanship). And of course it could only be used for that one character. So I couldn't help myself coloring another M30 with oil pastels. This time it was very difficult to reach an acceptably close match (with several layers of different blues and purples), but it ended up decent enough...

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Yondu010

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Yondu012

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Yondu011

For more of the makeshift Yondu (and friends), see HERE.

53tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 6:44

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic ! You really mastered the oil pastel job . I planed so many bashes, but can´t finish anything. For the Blue phichen body i planed to make a female Star Wars Twilek. Maybe this is a Inspriation for You ?

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Aayla-10

54tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the encouragement, Ephiane. That image does look pretty sweet. And it is inspiring, though it would necessitate the creation of the Twilek ears (or whatever those things on the back of the head are). I could sculpt them, but I'd much prefer some soft and bendable material, and that is currently beyond my know-how. So far, I've been mostly experimenting with your technique of painting the bodies with oil pastels (thanks again), and even this wasn't intended as a truly specific and full kitbash as much as an experiment, even if inspired by the very specific head sculpt. But maybe one day...
So there are both blue and green Twileks? I thought Oona (spelling?) was green. Ah, the wonders of an expanded universe (oops... "legends"). Still, probably more fun than some of the recent Star Wars movies and the whole fan vs director and studio executive controversy Smile

55tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:17

dadrab

dadrab
I could have sworn I posted on this yesterday, but...I reckon something went sideways.

Anyhow, I think the match to the sculpt is pretty damn good. Overall, the shading is very even, not splotchy. That's what impresses me the most.

Mighty fine experimental work. Hell, might fine finish work, in my book.

56tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:09

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn, I think you got a great color match!!! Really impressive, and he looks perfect.

And Yondu looks totally ready for the Guardians of the Galaxy pinup calendar here:

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Yondu012

57tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:54

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:I think the match to the sculpt is pretty damn good. Overall, the shading is very even, not splotchy. That's what impresses me the most.
Mighty fine experimental work. Hell, mighty fine finish work, in my book.

Thank you very much, dadrab! I think some of that "perfection" is a side effect of having to do extra layers when I decided he was looking too blue or too purple and went over it again with a different pastel. There are a couple of spots (especially the wrist ends of the lower arms) where I should probably do a bit more before I put it away.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn, I think you got a great color match!!!  Really impressive, and he looks perfect.  And Yondu looks totally ready for the Guardians of the Galaxy pinup calendar

Thank you very much, ReverendSpooky. I didn't try to do any kind of special surface patterning (scars or tattoos -- then again I don't remember seeing any in the film, and I was far more concerned about getting a decent color match overall), but I'm glad you too find it acceptable. And yes, that particular photo was inspired by that sort of stuff -- tongue in cheek, of course.

58tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:10

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty amazing coloring on that Yondu body.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 C8485110

59tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 19:10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Stryker!

60tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 3:48

MarkEl

Well done on the Yondu figure GubFan. The blue match looks well blended to me. Really cool results.

61tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 10:55

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:Well done on the Yondu figure GubFan.  The blue match looks well blended to me.  Really cool results.  

Thank you very much, Mark! The experimentation continues, I might be able to post on a new, darker African body in a few moments.

62tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 13:11

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I just completed (more or less) another oil pastel on a TBLeague/Phicen silicone body. I was trying to match the skin tone on the HT Finn head. The challenge was in part because oil pastels tend to come with very limited brown options, and of course are not as blendable as conventional paints (not only is oil pastel blendability somewhat limited, but it also varies from product to product, or so I read). I think I got pretty close with several coats of brown, red, blue, green, and more brown, although the protective powder dulled the color a little bit, detracting from the closeness of the match (the head is a bit warmer in tone). The relative shininess of the head sculpt also detracts from that closeness in the photos. This time matching the hands and feet painted with acrylics to the body was easier. At any rate, I was able to make a darker African body, which I might retouch in future, when more oil pastels arrive.

Here it is, first by itself, then compared to the first attempt (with a different Mike Tyson head than before). Let me know what you think and if you have helpful suggestions.

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Finn0110

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Finn0210

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Finn0310

63tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 25 Aug 2018 - 3:49

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work on the Fighters, Gubernator!  I insert one of the Swamptroll Pics here, because she has a Painted seamless body and shows what is possible with a pichen body Laughing
For example, the Barbarian Guy next to the Troll has the same Body like her.

tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 P1200217

64tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 26 Aug 2018 - 14:00

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Ephiane! And thank you again for teaching us the oil pastel trick and continuing to exhibit ever more complex work, like your troll. It is almost impossible to imagine that her body is a modified version of the barbarian next to her, what with the ankle and wrist extensions, and the built-up chest and shoulders.

65tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 28 Aug 2018 - 12:09

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn GubernatorFan, you really did a hell of a good job matching those head sculpts. You mentioned the issue with the noticeable difference in texture, but I think that's something we deal with on all plastic heads on rubber bodies. It's just that much more apparent to you since you're the one doing it.

Ephiane, I'm still completely awed by that troll body. Seeing her next to the barbarian just makes it all the more apparent how complete that transformation is. Inspiring work as always.

66tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 28 Aug 2018 - 13:33

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn, GubernatorFan, you really did a hell of a good job matching those head sculpts.  You mentioned the issue with the noticeable difference in texture, but I think that's something we deal with on all plastic heads on rubber bodies.  It's just that much more apparent to you since you're the one doing it.

Thank you very much, ReverendSpooky! In some earlier posts in this thread, Ephiane has actually outlined a technique to make the silicone surface a bit shinier, which might actually help in cases like these.

67tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 28 Aug 2018 - 13:45

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn, GubernatorFan, you really did a hell of a good job matching those head sculpts.  You mentioned the issue with the noticeable difference in texture, but I think that's something we deal with on all plastic heads on rubber bodies.  It's just that much more apparent to you since you're the one doing it.

Thank you very much, ReverendSpooky! In some earlier posts in this thread, Ephiane has actually outlined a technique to make the silicone surface a bit shinier, which might actually help in cases like these.

Oh, I remember! I'm itching to take a crack at it myself, but haven't had the right project yet. Still, quite inspired by all your success.

http://reverendspooky.com

68tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 28 Aug 2018 - 14:57

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Oh, I remember!  I'm itching to take a crack at it myself, but haven't had the right project yet.  Still, quite inspired by all your success.

I've picked up a few more African heads for the painted bodies, Muhammad Ali and Will Smith among them.

69tutorial - Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 3 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 12 Jan 2019 - 18:08

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
These are all amazing! Gives me hope for some of my planned SW 'alien' customs. Smile

Not sure I'd have the courage to try this on a tbleague until I was able to get the technique right. Does anyone know if the oil pastels would work on something that was partially seamless, like the PopToys bodies? I am trying to avoid having to resort to using fabric dye, if possible...

That reminds me, is the technique for using the chalk pastels similar to that of applying the oil pastels, or do you have to grind them up and apply them with a brush or something? I think I would prefer the more dusty look of chalk, but do the chalk pastels have more of a risk of staining, marking, or transferring colour to clothes/accessories/ one's hands/other figures? I like to handle my figures a lot, which is one of the reasons I haven't tried anything like this yet, I feared it would be too messy...

And GubernatorFan - What kind of powder are you using to 'set' the oil pastels?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum