OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Erika von Stroheim: A Photoshop extraction

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Erika von Stroheim:  A Photoshop extraction 49740251307_cb65ac1e22_cErika in desert by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Note:  Leutnant (2nd Lieutenant) Erika von Stroheim, New Mexico desert, undated photograph but believed to have been shot in the fourth or fifth year of the Great Anarchy.  She is seen here wearing an Afrika Korps uniform, which according to some sources was her great grandfathers, and according to others a tailor made copy, the original being too valuable as a family heirloom. She carries a WWII issue Germam MP 40 submachine gun, also believed to have been illegally retained after the war by her great grandfather and was noted for also carrying either a WWII issue P38 pistol or a post war West German P1 pistol. (The two are almost identical).  Erika, a Bundeswehr veteran, was known to be both a history buff, and an admirer of WWII German Field Marshal Rommel, and liked to emulate his Afrika Korps dress as much as possible.  

Blah!  My boss in my daytime job--the one where I'm not moonlighting as a photographer--gave me Friday off because of how hard I've been working to cover for other people who've been absent from work due the the COVID crisis and other things.  For those who don't know, Montreal (where I live) is on lock down, with only essential businesses allowed to be open. The one I work in is an essential business, so I'm working.  But suddenly I have an unexpected long weekend and bugger-all to do with it because of the COVID thing.  I had thought to do some outdoor photography with some of my growing collection of TB League figures (7 for now) but the weather on Friday sucked.  Saturday was gorgeous, but I'd pulled a muscle in my chest somehow on Friday, making it very painful to move in certain ways, particularly getting down and getting back up off the ground which I would have to do to shoot any photos outdoors close to where I live.  I did not want to travel anywhere I did not have to, again, because of the COVID thing, so....Saturday was a write off.

Sunday the chest muscles were not hurting, but the weather sucked again, so...unable to take the boredom, I decided to try my hand at another Photoshop extraction with one of my figures, and tedious as it was, the result seen above, was kind of rewarding, so I thought I would share it with you and let you judge the final result. This photo might actually be one image in a story I've written for some time, but not photographed, as I was waiting for the Canadian winter to recede before trying it.  Maybe I'll do the illustrations this way.  Maybe not. We'll see. In the meantime, I appreciate all your feedback, as always.

It seems I had some spare time in the evening as well and had the opportunity to an extraction of Kamiko in her kimono and brandishing her suppressed Walther PPK.

Erika von Stroheim:  A Photoshop extraction 49741226412_f4150bce4e_cKamiko with PPK by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Note:
A personal photo from Kamiko Takahara's collection, clearly taken during her time in Japan. She is seen brandishing her treasured 7.65mm Walther PPK of mysterious origin, complete with it's Brausch suppressor.  As private ownership of this sort of firearm is completely illegal in Japan, this photo remains the clearest evidence of Kamiko's involvement with the nascent Japanese secret service.  Kamiko keeps this particular pistol nearby at all times, usually concealed.  It is said that however many firearms she is carrying openly, you always have to count at least one concealed gun and this would usually be it.

Stay safe, stay healthy to all members of OSF.  

Stay safe to all of you.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice shots. Sorry to hear about your muscle issues; hoping you’re feeling better.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Erika von Stroheim:  A Photoshop extraction C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice shots. Sorry to hear about your muscle issues; hoping you’re feeling better.

I'm much better today but the weather sucked so....indoors I stayed, which is what I am supposed to do anyway. Back to work tomorrow...essential industry. I am lucky as there are many who have been laid off....

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those both look great! Hope you feel better and stay safe! <3

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Feel better soon! And I'm glad you have found a way to relieve the boredom.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Feel better soon! And I'm glad you have found a way to relieve the boredom.

Pain gone, and I'm itching to start shooting outdoors as the weather and COVID-19 situation allows.

Ovy

Ovy
Happy to hear you are better now, now back to crawling through the mud for the perfect shot! Very Happy

Do you use greenscreens or something similar for those montages? 

And Erika still has a villainous vibe to her.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Happy to hear you are better now, now back to crawling through the mud for the perfect shot! Very Happy

Do you use greenscreens or something similar for those montages? 

And Erika still has a villainous vibe to her.

No they are photographed against a neutral background and a tedious Photoshop selection method is used for the main body with a special technique being used to do the hair extraction using the Refine Mask Tool.

https://www.psdvault.com/basics/quick-and-effective-hair-extraction-techinque-via-refine-mask-in-photoshop-cs5/

As for Erika, the villainous vibe goes well with the WWII German uniform.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Both gorgeous pics. Looking fantastic against those backgrounds, and completely believable. Erika looks like a great villain too. Love it!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:Both gorgeous pics.  Looking fantastic against those backgrounds, and completely believable.  Erika looks like a great villain too.  Love it!

Thanks Spooky. Let's be honest; the (Nazi) uniform, the blonde hair, cold blue eyes and the cold expression on her face all serve to promote a villainous image. As for Kamiko, she retains her deadly mystique and shady past.

Ovy

Ovy
So, I just finished watching JoJos Bizarre Adventure Part 2. It was recommended to me for a very long time by people who know what they are talking about, but me not being interested in anime that much, I passed. But it's on Netflix now so I gave it a try. It can't be described, it's just beautiful.

You being a friend of the Japanese arts, I now feel like I finally understand. Very Happy

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:So, I just finished watching JoJos Bizarre Adventure Part 2. It was recommended to me for a very long time by people who know what they are talking about, but me not being interested in anime that much, I passed. But it's on Netflix now so I gave it a try. It can't be described, it's just beautiful.

You being a friend of the Japanese arts, I now feel like I finally understand. Very Happy

It goes back to my childhood and watching TV Series like Speed Racer, and the original Ultraman, way back in the 60's. Despite it's absolutely ridiculous plot, I love the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice," which combines traditional Japanese styles with the look of the mid-late sixties, another period/style I absolutely love.

Just after Christmas, I obtained the DVD set of the animé series "Girls un Panzer," the basic premise of which involves setting in which high school girls attend high schools based on gargantuan academy ships about the size of Darth Vader's command ship, and fight very violent but somehow non-lethal battles against other schools using WWII era tanks. It's very amusing and entertaining, and I prefer to watch in the original Japanese with English subtitles. There is nothing like the sound of excited female voices rattling off in rapid-fire Japanese. You simply cannot imitate this in English.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum