OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

skywalkersaga

Oh, wow, I love the outdoor lighting. I liked your original Maul figures, but somehow this version seems even more naturalistic.

I am wondering whether one could combine oil pastel on top of the marker-coloured bodies for enhancing the colour tones? Or would it not really make much difference?

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh, wow, I love the outdoor lighting. I liked your original Maul figures, but somehow this version seems even more naturalistic. I am wondering whether one could combine oil pastel on top of the marker-coloured bodies for enhancing the colour tones? Or would it not really make much difference?

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked the new photos in outdoor light. It does do it more justice. I have not yet gotten to experimenting with these markers on (or under) oil pastel. But I would be loath to put oil pastel atop the smaller areas left after the two-color coloring of this particular body -- for one thing you cannot get sufficient precision in finer lines and corners, for another you need to allow for spreading/smearing.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ephiane

Nothing can beat outdoor light. He looks fantastic. Aww, i really love this Jedi Killer I love you It must be very hard to get the body paint symetrical, but You get it. Has he got a PERS ? Anyway, it´s nice to see a HS with that looks not straight. I think it´s good for posing

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Nothing can beat outdoor light. He looks fantastic. Aww, i really love this Jedi Killer I love you It must be very hard to get the body paint symetrical, but You get it. Has he got a PERS ? Anyway, it´s nice to see a HS with that looks not straight. I think it´s good for posing

Very true about outdoor lighting. But I have few places around my yard where neighbors won't spot me "playing with dolls." Sad And I don't have the self-confidence some of our members have. Wink Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked the new Maul experiment. Yes, keeping the design symmetrical (one wonders whether it actually need be symmetrical) is difficult, and then things came out uneven, I had to fix them as best I could -- either extending line (simple), or redoubling elements (which made the design busier). The headsculpt is one of the two HT PERS head sculpts from their first (?) Maul (not the one based on the movie Solo). I also picked up a third party, slightly smaller head sculpt for my second Maul (which used an M33 body instead of an M30). You can see all three in the Oops thread.
If you like this Maul, I also put together a little silent photo story here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2799-star-wars-the-further-adventures-of-darth-maul-updated-with-part-iii-may-2021#57167

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks for being so honest, Gube. You have to see it that way : You are a Artist and You made some pictures of art. I have no Problem with Dolls. Dolls can be so much important for children. They can be a Friend, if they are afraid and they can sleep together with them in their beds. Dolls has to be cute, soft and warm that for, made with cozy fabrik like teddy bears. The 1:6 FIGURES we work with are not cute, they have cold hard bodys with steel skeletons.

Args.... a Darth Maul with Pers... have to check my wallet Laughing And i have no Jedi to interact with Maul. Just a simple Twi´lek Smuggler. Maul will finished her with one hit.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Thanks for being so honest, Gube. You have to see it that way : You are a Artist and You made some pictures of art. I have no Problem with Dolls. Dolls can be so much important for children. They can be a Friend, if they are afraid and they can sleep together with them in their beds. Dolls has to be cute, soft and warm that for, made with cozy fabrik like teddy bears. The 1:6 FIGURES we work with are not cute, they have cold hard bodys with steel skeletons.

Args.... a Darth Maul with Pers... have to check my wallet Laughing And i have no Jedi to interact with Maul. Just a simple Twi´lek Smuggler. Maul will finished her with one hit.

Thank you, Ephiane. I actually agree with you (while recognizing these are all ultimately species of articulated figures; besides, there are dolls and dolls), but I hope we don't start one of those inevitably subjective and not-so-constructive dolls vs action figures debates. Smile (Seriously, people, don't!)

Yep, my wallet cried (I have given it plenty of grief), but I'm happy with my investment. Still prefer the neutral head to the yelling one, but had to have both when I found them parted out. Where I did save was Maul's transport, where I repainted the Hasbro version (you've seen it before). These are HT's later, improved PERS, where you don't run the risk of messing up a joint mechanism and each eye can be moved separately. So Maul could be cross eyed, if needed. Speaking of Maul and a Twi'lek. I am really really really trying to stay appropriate and not point out a hilarious adult film parody of Star Wars where there is a female Twi'lek version of Maul making short work of a couple of Jedi. Her look is actually quite striking, but I can't bring myself to depict a character with that specific origin. Smile

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Excellent work and posing!! The symmetry must be frustrating to get right but you did it perfectly! The later pics show the hs matching the red of the body far better, did you pastel the face too? Sorry you probably explained but I just got up...

Chip

I love the look and envy your Darth Maul figures , I think they would be very hard to improve upon .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Excellent work and posing!! The symmetry must be frustrating to get right but you did it perfectly! The later pics show the hs matching the red of the body far better, did you pastel the face too? Sorry you probably explained but I just got up...

Thank you very much, Alex! Yes, I worked hard on the symmetry. Inevitably there were some mistakes, which I tried to disguise by adding more details if needed. Smile I think the red improved over the three tries. The first two were with oil pastel, and the first was too cold a color to be a perfect match. The second (the leaner, taller M33) was an improvement, especially when I gave it the knockoff smaller head (mold shrinkage or just different design?) -- for better comparison photos of all three Mauls at once, see here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4151-oops-photo-heavy#57748
and here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4234-rivals-photo-heavy#59153.
The last Maul was colored with real touch Gundam markers. It does not always photograph successfully, but I think it might be the one that looks best in hand. I did not paint, repaint, or apply any pastel to any of the heads. Two are from the HT Maul deluxe set (not from the Solo movie Maul), and one is a knockoff (with the warmer, lighter red).

Chip wrote:I love the look and envy your Darth Maul figures , I think they would be very hard to improve upon .

Thank you very much, Chip! Trust me, there is always room for improvement, but I appreciate your support and am pretty happy with them, especially the most recent one (the "tattoo" applications on the first two still annoy me a bit -- the first one might still potentially smudge a little, while the second is subject to a little cracking after all).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum