OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks pretty cool, Valley of the Blondes sounds quite deadly I must say.

Not to mention sexy.

27Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Ovy

Yeah, she looks familiar and new the same time. She can be an extra in your other universe and be her own main protagonist in her own. She will look cool in the hat I am sure. A scarf and a leather jacket might help too.

Good thing you covered the wrists, very important on that body in particular, I think.

28Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

Ovy wrote:Yeah, she looks familiar and new the same time. She can be an extra in your other universe and be her own main protagonist in her own. She will look cool in the hat I am sure. A scarf and a leather jacket might help too.

Good thing you covered the wrists, very important on that body in particular, I think.

Yeah, I might use the head as two different characters, just as you suggest as a main protagonist in my Cold War timeline and as a secondary character in Kamiko's timeline. I really like your suggestion of the leather jacket and scarf. I have the scarf already but not the jacket.

I would really like to see a female size khaki bush jacket (aka safari jacket) of the style worn by British and commonwealth officers of the era, not to mention African explorers. I have one, but it's male and too big on any of the female bodies.

29Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 pm

skywalkersaga

Leather jacket does sound like a great idea, in lieu of the safari jacket. : )

30Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I would really like to see a female size khaki bush jacket (aka safari jacket) of the style worn by British and commonwealth officers of the era, not to mention African explorers.

Do you mean something like this?

Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 B64c5510

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 C8485110

31Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:03 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I would really like to see a female size khaki bush jacket (aka safari jacket) of the style worn by British and commonwealth officers of the era, not to mention African explorers.

Do you mean something like this?

Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 B64c5510

That would be pretty close to spot on.  I already have this, which is exactly on the money but male sized and much too large  https://www.veegostore.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_61&products_id=1277 so what you have there would be a more than acceptable alternative.

Note:  I have four of these bush jackets in real life for my WWII impressions..., but they are much, much too big!

32Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Loving the pulp concept, and she is off to an adorable start. Sounding like a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her come together.

Also, really interesting discussion on similarities in art, and how it's often the thing that dissuades us from pursuing an idea. I particularly found skywalkersaga's comments apt and inspiring, about pursuing the ideas that moved us in the best ways we can imagine, and trying to approach our inspirations or combine them in fresh ways (And you should take your own advice. You're 100% correct). It's funny, I was just reading a quote about how we put too much on being the first to do something. Technically, the Wright Brothers built the (censored) airplane ever, and we've only continued to make better and better versions.

Also, if any of you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out the animated series The Venture Brothers. It's a satirical take on a lot of old cartoons, but especially Jonny Quest. Rusty Venture is basically Jonny Quest grown up, and failing to live up to his father's legacy, with 2 gee-golly home-schooled sons, and his mulleted bodyguard. It's extremely funny, but has solid world building, and just about everything in it is a nod or homage to some classic series or movie. I think it might hit home for a lot of this crowd.

33Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:Loving the pulp concept, and she is off to an adorable start.  Sounding like a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her come together.  

Also, really interesting discussion on similarities in art, and how it's often the thing that dissuades us from pursuing an idea.  I particularly found skywalkersaga's comments apt and inspiring, about pursuing the ideas that moved us in the best ways we can imagine, and trying to approach our inspirations or combine them in fresh ways (And you should take your own advice.  You're 100% correct).  It's funny, I was just reading a quote about how we put too much on being the first to do something.  Technically, the Wright Brothers built the (censored) airplane ever, and we've only continued to make better and better versions.

Also, if any of you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out the animated series The Venture Brothers.  It's a satirical take on a lot of old cartoons, but especially Jonny Quest.  Rusty Venture is basically Jonny Quest grown up, and failing to live up to his father's legacy, with 2 gee-golly home-schooled sons, and his mulleted bodyguard.  It's extremely funny, but has solid world building, and just about everything in it is a nod or homage to some classic series or movie.  I think it might hit home for a lot of this crowd.

I think I might have caught an episode or two of Rusty Venture a few years ago, and yes, I can definitely see the strong Johnny Quest influences and the 1960's mid-century style interiors styling.

As to influences, I make no bones whatsoever about drawing influences from a variety of sources. From the very beginning, I made it clear that the Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing is inspired by name Captain Gladys Stoat-Pamphlet from the Monty Python Book Shop Sketch and I thought that concept was just perfect for a pulp novel hero.

I make no bones about being influenced by early James Bond films either, or the TV Series named and other movies. Quite the contrary I sort of wear this as a badge of honor because it not only speaks to what I know, but says I'm old enough to remember these classic pieces of culture. What you find original in my work is in the details of the actual story itself; the dialogues between the characters and so on. But I don't find it at all odd that there are a lot of us on this forum who are fans of the same artistic works and i suspect that much of the reason is that many of us are of the same generation and played with the same toys as kids, watched the same movies and TV shows, and these movies and TV shows were popuiar with our generation because the creators knew what our generation wanted to see and what toys we wanted to play with. So it should be no surprise to anyone I think, that as adults doing kitbashes we should want to emulate much of the styles, the looks, the feel of the pieces of popular culture we grew up with.

34Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
TPB — it’s great to be proud of your influences like that. You definitely have your own style and approach to your 1/6 figures, which will always be that unique factor in the mix.

Rev — I’m glad what I wrote about stories and inspirations resonated, and I likewise greatly appreciate the encouraging words ... more than I can say!

Also ... yesss, I freaking love The Venture Bros.! I sometimes sleep in a Brock Samson t-shirt ... ;’D

Btw... has anyone made any Venture Bros characters in 1/6 (either customs or otherwise)?? I’d love to see that. .

35Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:08 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Loving the pulp concept, and she is off to an adorable start.  Sounding like a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her come together.  

Also, really interesting discussion on similarities in art, and how it's often the thing that dissuades us from pursuing an idea.  I particularly found skywalkersaga's comments apt and inspiring, about pursuing the ideas that moved us in the best ways we can imagine, and trying to approach our inspirations or combine them in fresh ways (And you should take your own advice.  You're 100% correct).  It's funny, I was just reading a quote about how we put too much on being the first to do something.  Technically, the Wright Brothers built the (censored) airplane ever, and we've only continued to make better and better versions.

Also, if any of you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out the animated series The Venture Brothers.  It's a satirical take on a lot of old cartoons, but especially Jonny Quest.  Rusty Venture is basically Jonny Quest grown up, and failing to live up to his father's legacy, with 2 gee-golly home-schooled sons, and his mulleted bodyguard.  It's extremely funny, but has solid world building, and just about everything in it is a nod or homage to some classic series or movie.  I think it might hit home for a lot of this crowd.

I think I might have caught an episode or two of Rusty Venture a few years ago, and yes, I can definitely see the strong Johnny Quest influences and the 1960's mid-century style interiors styling.  

As to influences, I make no bones whatsoever about drawing influences from a variety of sources. From the very beginning, I made it clear that the Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing is inspired by name Captain Gladys Stoat-Pamphlet from the Monty Python Book Shop Sketch and I thought that concept was just perfect for a pulp novel hero.  

I make no bones about being influenced by early James Bond films either, or the TV Series named and other movies.  Quite the contrary I sort of wear this as a badge of honor because it not only speaks to what I know, but says I'm old enough to remember these classic pieces of culture. What you find original in my work is in the details of the actual story itself; the dialogues between the characters and so on. But I don't find it at all odd that there are a lot of us on this forum who are fans of the same artistic works and i suspect that much of the reason is that many of us are of the same generation and played with the same toys as kids, watched the same movies and TV shows, and these movies and TV shows were popuiar with our generation because the creators knew what our generation wanted to see and what toys we wanted to play with.  So it should be no surprise to anyone I think, that as adults doing kitbashes we should want to emulate much of the styles, the looks, the feel of the pieces of popular culture we grew up with.  

I 100% agree, and I think it's fresh take on the genres you love that does an excellent job of paying homage to them.  And the name really does conjure quite the ideal pulp image.  Will Glynnis also be acquiring an intrepid spaniel companion, or some other canine sidekick?

skywalkersaga wrote:TPB — it’s great to be proud of your influences like that. You definitely have your own style and approach to your 1/6 figures, which will always be that unique factor in the mix.

Rev — I’m glad what I wrote about stories and inspirations resonated, and I likewise greatly appreciate the encouraging words ... more than I can say!

Also ... yesss, I freaking love The Venture Bros.! I sometimes sleep in a Brock Samson t-shirt ... ;’D

Btw... has anyone made any Venture Bros characters in 1/6 (either customs or otherwise)?? I’d love to see that. .

I stand by it.  And I should have know you'd be a Venture Bros fan too!

And I can't believe I've so rarely seen anything Venture related in 1/6.  They released the Mego style figures, which I have a few of, but are janky as hell and regularly dive off shelves.  The only thing I can think of is this killer set of Henchmen 21 and 24 that this guy was working on, but these are the last posts, and I never saw them finished.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1xXFaDHuxA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1wRRTeHKBl/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uum-gnldV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1mTMapnEli/

36Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:31 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

I make no bones about being influenced by early James Bond films either, or the TV Series named and other movies.  Quite the contrary I sort of wear this as a badge of honor because it not only speaks to what I know, but says I'm old enough to remember these classic pieces of culture. What you find original in my work is in the details of the actual story itself; the dialogues between the characters and so on. But I don't find it at all odd that there are a lot of us on this forum who are fans of the same artistic works and i suspect that much of the reason is that many of us are of the same generation and played with the same toys as kids, watched the same movies and TV shows, and these movies and TV shows were popuiar with our generation because the creators knew what our generation wanted to see and what toys we wanted to play with.  So it should be no surprise to anyone I think, that as adults doing kitbashes we should want to emulate much of the styles, the looks, the feel of the pieces of popular culture we grew up with.  

I 100% agree, and I think it's fresh take on the genres you love that does an excellent job of paying homage to them.  And the name really does conjure quite the ideal pulp image.  Will Glynnis also be acquiring an intrepid spaniel companion, or some other canine sidekick?

skywalkersaga wrote:TPB — it’s great to be proud of your influences like that. You definitely have your own style and approach to your 1/6 figures, which will always be that unique factor in the mix.

I stand by it.  And I should have know you'd be a Venture Bros fan too!

And I can't believe I've so rarely seen anything Venture related in 1/6.  They released the Mego style figures, which I have a few of, but are janky as hell and regularly dive off shelves.  The only thing I can think of is this killer set of Henchmen 21 and 24 that this guy was working on, but these are the last posts, and I never saw them finished.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1xXFaDHuxA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1wRRTeHKBl/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uum-gnldV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1mTMapnEli/

I'm not sure it will be a spaniel or even a dog. Maybe a domesticated wild cat like a leopard or something.

37Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing, a WIP Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
TPB -- ooh, that sounds suitably exotic. ;D 

Rev -- omg!!! Those 21 and 24 look incredible! can't believe the guy sculpted those faces in the masks like that... they really do look like 'realistic' version of the animated characters! I want to see the whole cast of characters in that style! :O

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum