OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague:1/6 Spartan Army Commander Spartan Army Commander (3 models in total) PL2020-165A/B/C)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

xitrum

shazzdan wrote:Brilliant! They have managed to produce a Greek warrior without a single Greek element.

The helmet's got to count for something, right? Smile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
xitrum wrote:The helmet's got to count for something, right?  Smile

Nah... more fantasy than Greek.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GeeWillikers

I'm a-gonna get me that mace/bola/spiky ball whatever and some loose sandals! Be nice to have some footwear that will theoretically fit properly, and is not a pair of boots or crazy-insane stiletto heels.

I think I may be most excited about the sandals.

(again, I honestly do not have a foot fetish)

agentghost

Wow.. so historically rich. Just like how I imagine Sparta in 300. Buy a part of history, gents.
P.S. I like spears too and that spiky ball .. um weapon thingy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The spikey ball on a chain is called a “flail”. Wink

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague:1/6 Spartan Army Commander Spartan Army Commander (3 models in total) PL2020-165A/B/C) - Page 2 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
GubernatorFan wrote:
xitrum wrote:The helmet's got to count for something, right?  Smile

Nah... more fantasy than Greek.

Yep. Not only did the Greeks never use it but it has never been used anywhere in the entire history of warfare. It looks like a helmet from LOTR or The Great Wall

Edit: I have one of those styles of flail available, made from metal, not plastic.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague:1/6 Spartan Army Commander Spartan Army Commander (3 models in total) PL2020-165A/B/C) - Page 2 Il_794xN.1534629216_ak8g

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/608364806/16-scale-miniature-model-medieval-spiked

shazzdan

shazzdan
Stryker2011 wrote:The spikey ball on a chain is called a “flail”. Wink

Heh. I've never seen it called a bola before.

Diana

Diana
I love Xena-style fantasy so I'm all over these, though I can nag about each one of them, too:

I think the brown/bronze traditional (as in 300) colors are the prettiest, but also the most boring. The head is most doll-like and a total bore. Shield instead of sword... She's out.

The white version has the most interesting expression and I like the spear the most, as well, which together might make up for the heavy make-up, cause: Rolling Eyes

The black version I think looks the best overall and triggers the Xena-association of course. I wish there was a close-up of the face, but it looks like the only one I'd be happy to leave as is. Those eyes look very dark, which is interesting. The flail usually has evil associations and overall the tone is very dark and that's the only nit-pick I have with this, cause I don't like evil vibes in my home. (Xena wears black, too, but doesn't have the evil vibe...)

But I'm thinking white and black together... Yin Yang... Purchase totally justified. Laughing

brassco

brassco
This release is going to hurt my pocket..., l might regret if i don't get all three as a set! However, none of them seems to come with a base...so could be cheaper!

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
Honestly, I'm glad it doesn't come with a base. Not only makes shipping cheaper, you also don't need a lot of space to display.
And when I wrote "bola" I also felt strange, subconsciously thinking that wasn't the right name. I forgot about "flail" completely.

And I would love to see Xena in 1/6 scale and can totally see her vibe in this figure... why has no company done it yet? There's even a HS aroung that would fit perfectly on a Xena. Dammit, AerynDiana, now I'm tempted on buying the black one, even though she doesn't come with a spear or trident.

Diana

Diana
FreakinLobster wrote:Honestly, I'm glad it doesn't come with a base. Not only makes shipping cheaper, you also don't need a lot of space to display.
And when I wrote "bola" I also felt strange, subconsciously thinking that wasn't the right name. I forgot about "flail" completely.

And I would love to see Xena in 1/6 scale and can totally see her vibe in this figure... why has no company done it yet? There's even a HS aroung that would fit perfectly on a Xena. Dammit, AerynDiana, now I'm tempted on buying the black one, even though she doesn't come with a spear or trident.

Sorry not sorry. Laughing

I mention the major oversight that is Xena whenever I get the chance. Wink

ahbake

FreakinLobster wrote:
ahbake wrote:Yeah, I was thinking uh-oh here we go! Butler, Fassbender, Wenham...

... and got Pink, Beyoncé and Britney Spears from that Pepsi commercial...

Laughing

Actually, if they gave them those head sculpts, they'd fly off the shelves...

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Stryker2011 wrote:The spikey ball on a chain is called a “flail”. Wink

Heh, yes 'Flail' is the word I'm 'flailing' around for. Smile

A bola/bolus is a different thing but it's an easy mistake to make. I've always called these things a 'mace' but that's not accurate either.

So where have we seen these sculpts before? I can see that Black Commander is a remixed Steampunk Sonja (still not the similar but lovelier sculpt with shorter hair that they used in the S28/29 promos, though) but the other two sculpts have got me stumped. The blonde has a nice stern expression but as usual the hair is too coiffed to be realistic in this context (I know, I know... TBL vs realism-round 2634, etc).

Black Commander would be my choice if I wanted a full figure, but I'll just go for any loose parts of interest.

(finally made a post that doesn't mention feet or footwear!)

EDIT: (Damn!)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The Silver one looks like the Galaxy Soldier head to me.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague:1/6 Spartan Army Commander Spartan Army Commander (3 models in total) PL2020-165A/B/C) - Page 2 C8485110

xitrum

shazzdan wrote:Yep. Not only did the Greeks never use it but it has never been used anywhere in the entire history of warfare. It looks like a helmet from LOTR or The Great Wall

What about ceremonial? There are military uniforms that are strictly for ceremonial purposes. They would never be used in combat. But they are legit military uniforms, nonetheless.

You guys got me curious so I googled "spartan helmet". From what I'm seeing, the helmet, with the plume and all, looks pretty legit.

packraptor

packraptor
Jeez, how many new bodies/figures is Tbleague releasing this year? They seem to be really cranking out these releases at a record pace. Especially considering that we're in the midst of a pandemic.

JohnByng

xitrum wrote:
shazzdan wrote:Yep. Not only did the Greeks never use it but it has never been used anywhere in the entire history of warfare. It looks like a helmet from LOTR or The Great Wall

What about ceremonial?  There are military uniforms that are strictly for ceremonial purposes.  They would never be used in combat.  But they are legit military uniforms, nonetheless.

You guys got me curious so I googled "spartan helmet".  From what I'm seeing, the helmet, with the plume and all, looks pretty legit.

It is a stylized version of the "Corinthian Helmet". It is not accurate but as a fantasy helmet it is OK. I doubt the Greeks had ceremonial uniforms as they didn't wear much to begin with. Their armour was definitely intended for combat and as such they are unlikely to have worn something for purely decorative purposes as it would probably be considered unmanly. They thought the Persian trousers were "effeminate".

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
JohnByng wrote:
xitrum wrote:

What about ceremonial?  There are military uniforms that are strictly for ceremonial purposes.  They would never be used in combat.  But they are legit military uniforms, nonetheless.

You guys got me curious so I googled "spartan helmet".  From what I'm seeing, the helmet, with the plume and all, looks pretty legit.

It is a stylized version of the "Corinthian Helmet". It is not accurate but as a fantasy helmet it is OK. I doubt the Greeks had ceremonial uniforms as they didn't wear much to begin with. Their armour was definitely intended for combat and as such they are unlikely to have worn something for purely decorative purposes as it would probably be considered unmanly. They thought the Persian trousers were "effeminate".

I agree with John. Whether there was such a thing as specifically ceremonial equipment is a subject of debate; if there was, yes, it could be more ornate. But this is not so much about how ornate it is, as much as it is about shapes and style. It is almost all fantasy and almost no history; they took a "Corinthian" helmet, gave it a modernistic stylized treatment with different angles and shapes to the edges (compare Leonidas' helmet in the 300 movie), then gave that an ornate treatment to spruce it up, and finally a bit of weathering, and voila. But just because it's a helmet and it's got a plume, and if you squint to the point of not being able to make out any details the silhouette looks remotely Greek, doesn't make it historically accurate. And yes, Alexander the Great was criticized by some of his more xenophobic Greeks for adopting various items of Persian origin, but even he drew the line at wearing pants. Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
xitrum wrote:

Ceremonial/parade armour never existed before the Renaissance. Before that time all the fancy historical armour you see was actually used in battle.

The only exception is funerary gear. Some cultures made weapons and armour specifically to be put in a tomb in preparation for the afterlife.

xitrum

JohnByng wrote:

I agree that this is a fantasy helmet.  It has to be stylized and exaggerated; otherwise it'll look boring.  Smile

I've read that the plume did serve military purposes: officer rank, height intimidation.  Not sure if any of that is true, though.  But vase paintings suggested that they went into battle with it.

But the main argument is that the Greek "element" is there with the face mask and the plume.

It's common in most depictions of the hoplites:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague:1/6 Spartan Army Commander Spartan Army Commander (3 models in total) PL2020-165A/B/C) - Page 2 Giphy

Cobratrooper11

Cobratrooper11
i like the brunette head...might have to try and get lucky getting one loose for a reasonable price. and no 60 plus is not reasonable imo.

bunnyfreakz

bunnyfreakz
Those looks quite impressive though, probably the best TBleague set ever produce in recent year. Gonna preorder Golden and Silver one probably.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed I'm also liking the Black and Gold Commanders too but I think I will hold out for the Sariah, the Goddess of War
figure instead.

Finally some more of those fantasy Spartan helmets (hard to find nowadays) and weapons for my figures.

brassco

brassco
Prices are out on the Phicen website. USD169 each. Either same px or more expensive than other figures with base. I will need to think twice about this...

desertdragon

desertdragon
TBL certainly knows the way to my heart and wallet... I have the black and red commanders on order, so look for lots of pics here whenever they show up Smile

csyeung

csyeung
I've never purchased from the Phicen site. Where is it shipped out of and how much is shipping usually or is it better just to get from other online retailers? (most are priced at 180 shipped)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ve never ordered direct from them, but depending on where you’re at, check out the following link:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1860-on-line-retailers-list

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the link Stryker. Yea, I've been mostly getting my stuff from Giantoy and Onesixthkit, was just wondering if Phicen shipped direct from China.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum