OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague / Phicen Spartan Goddess of War (updated)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:But if I were a completist that gets every single TBLeague boxed set, I would be very upset.

I'm pretty close to one of those. I've passed on a few boxed sets over the years (including the sci-fi girl; couldn't justify that $30 price-hike for rehashed armor and clothing bits, a new HS, and a couple of cool new weapons). (Hopefully, once it gets broken down, I can find the HS and weapons loose.)

blackpool

Even more impressive now that you mention that "de" necked headsculpt! Could we have some WIP pictures next time you chop off a figure's neck? I have a lot of headsculpts that would look better without the neck...

I often appreciate Michael Crawford's reviews, more for the commentaries than the pictures which stay very neutral, but his observations and judgment often helped me picking a figure or not. That said I much more appreciate your pictures because they show the real potential of posing of the figure (I remember asking to Michael if he had made his Daredevil review on a protoype version as I nearly cancelled my order after seeing his review, in the end the figure was beyond my expectations and not having any of the flaws he described)
Anyway thanks again for those cool review pictures, they are very inspiring!

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
blackpool wrote:Even more impressive now that you mention that "de" necked headsculpt! Could we have some WIP pictures next time you chop off a figure's neck? I have a lot of headsculpts that would look better without the neck...

Ok, I will put together a mini presentation; it is remarkably easy, although it took me a long time (and some encouragement from forum members to start de-necking).

blackpool wrote:I often appreciate Michael Crawford's reviews, more for the commentaries than the pictures which stay very neutral, but his observations and judgment often helped me picking a figure or not. That said I much more appreciate your pictures because they show the real potential of posing of the figure. Anyway thanks again for those cool review pictures, they are very inspiring!

I do too; he is at "fault" for getting me into this hobby and helping me realize what to look for in a product (potentially). I love his analysis and his clear photos. Nowhere near the level of his experience and knowledge yet, but he is a worthy model. If I ever go beyond him in the photos, perhaps it is juvenile exuberance. Wink And thanks again for the kind words about my reviews and photos.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Michael pretty much got me into it too. He reviewed the Cy Girls I wanted and there was a guest review of Lucifer, from which I took my avatar, and the rest is history.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like his reviews, but lately, I don’t always agree with him. He tends to be a lot more forgiving than I would be.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague / Phicen Spartan Goddess of War (updated) - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Michael pretty much got me into it too. He reviewed the Cy Girls I wanted and there was a guest review of Lucifer, from which I took my avatar, and the rest is history.

I hope you got that figure too. I had always assumed that your avatar was of a custom figure of you! Wink

Stryker2011 wrote:I like his reviews, but lately, I don’t always agree with him. He tends to be a lot more forgiving than I would be.

We all have our priorities, and I suppose if you have sponsors or companies that send you things to review, you pick your battles. My own reviews have been generally quite positive, but then again I generally get (and review!) things I have already decided are pretty good (with some exceptions, like Gorgo).

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Stryker2011 wrote:I like his reviews, but lately, I don’t always agree with him. He tends to be a lot more forgiving than I would be.

--

He is. That is one major criticism I have of him. He seems way more forgiving as if he's purposely not trying to offend the brands that supplies instead of being truthful about how really awful an item is.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
DeltaForceChung wrote:

--

He is.  That is one major criticism I have of him.  He seems way more forgiving as if he's purposely not trying to offend the brands that supplies instead of being truthful about how really awful an item is.

I guess I can see it from his POV (Don't bite the hand that feeds you -- Or supplies you with free boxed sets); but then, it sort of makes his reviews unfair and dishonest. It's like all the HT apologists. Someone hands me a turd, I don't think, regardless of having not paid for the item, I could feel good about calling some of Star Ace's recent products anything less than absolute trash not even worthy of 1 star, let alone 2.5 or 3. Gorgo, as a stand-alone Spartan/Greek woman isn't the worst figure I've ever seen (though I don't have it in hand), but I don't see anything of Lena Heady in the sculpt. Hermione and Artemisia should be in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart for less than $20 as a cheap Barbie imitation. Hermione looks like a dude, and Artemisia... I could crap in a bucket something better than those two figures. (I guess I wouldn't be a reviewer for long.... These companies would absolutely hate me).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Perhaps we can tone down the negativity a little bit. Yes, some of these products are disappointing or difficult to consider worth the prices they charge for them.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Figures, Poses and Story ! I like her Face, she is not so typical doll´ish. Great Equipment to cheers

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Great Figures, Poses and Story ! I like her Face, she is not so typical doll´ish. Great Equipment to cheers

Thank you very much! And I agree about the face.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:Michael pretty much got me into it too. He reviewed the Cy Girls I wanted and there was a guest review of Lucifer, from which I took my avatar, and the rest is history.

I hope you got that figure too. I had always assumed that your avatar was of a custom figure of you! Wink

I did in the end, Thainer bought one off eBay for me. I paid him what he paid and the rest is history. I bid on a boxed one once. The auction ended before the screen refreshed to acknowledge my bid! That went to a friend, so I did get to see it, still, I knew I was getting mine by then.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I did in the end, Thainer bought one off eBay for me. I paid him what he paid and the rest is history.

Very nice. And all's well that ends well (as the bard said).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It occurred to me that I have not shown good photos of the elaborate base. Although these bases are often criticized (and with plenty of reason -- they can be overly heavy, large, and more often than not impractical), for completeness, here are a couple of shots.

TBLeague / Phicen Spartan Goddess of War (updated) - Page 2 Sgow2010

TBLeague / Phicen Spartan Goddess of War (updated) - Page 2 Sgow2110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like their bases, but yeah, after a while it just becomes too much. No room. I know it might deter some people, but instead of skeletons/skulls, wouldn’t it make more sense if it were recent/fresh body parts... ?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
No room (if you have too many), no stand (if you want them to help you keep your figures on their feet), and, as someone else pointed out, they don't really work together with each other the way some other products' bases are designed. Especially with the bigger and heavier bases (like the column that came with their "Athena"), customers have also been concerned that they add to the price of the product and the price of shipping. And I can't blame them. (I never bought Athena, but picked up some of the armor and a couple of columns... now I'm not sure what to do with them.)

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Great thorough review! I'll echo the sentiment here that I love seeing the action shots as well. Not only is it a lot of fun to look at, but I think you get a better sense of how things look from angles you wouldn't necessarily see straight on, or how things drape or lay when posed.

And GubernatorFan, I'll second what you said to Rogerbee. I was really skeptical about Phicen when it 1st came on the market because the shoulders and armpits looked high in all the promo pics I saw. But that shoulder articulation is really incredible, and makes all the difference in getting a more natural look when posing.

And I wouldn't mind seeing how you remove necks either. I've been doing it forever, and I usually just hack it off with a rotary blade, and then fine tune the edges with a grinding bit. But I'm always curios how anyone else approaches a project, and I'm sure there's something to learn from your technique.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Great  thorough review!  I'll echo the sentiment here that I love seeing the action shots as well. ... that shoulder articulation is really incredible, and makes all the difference in getting a more natural look when posing. ... And I wouldn't mind seeing how you remove necks either.  ...

Thank you very much! Glad you liked it. I'm also glad we agree. It is surprising how TBLeague can achieve very good shoulder articulation with a less complex shoulder than the more advanced jointed bodies.

I am putting together a simple presentation of my de-necking procedure (probably in a separate thread) -- it should be up soon.

dadrab

dadrab
I have to say that before I saw this review, I was clearly "passing" on this figure. Now, I've pretty much reversed course.

Well done and thank you.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
dadrab wrote:I have to say that before I saw this review, I was clearly "passing" on this figure. Now, I've pretty much reversed course.

Well done and thank you.

--

One of us . . . one of us . . . one of us . . . gobble . . . gobble . . .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:I have to say that before I saw this review, I was clearly "passing" on this figure. Now, I've pretty much reversed course. Well done and thank you.

You are welcome (and thank you for the flattering comment), and thanks for not blaming me (for what will happen to your wallet)! Wink

Pretty funny, DFC!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum