OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Tjolnir

hi and sorry for the late reply. was down with a bad cold or something, at least covid test was negative.
as for the rats, if i remember correctly, those two are what i had in mind for my rat king project.
the more detailed one minus the whiskers of course =)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586166

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543001

second are rather for background purposes, easier to print but lacking in detail.
cheers

shazzdan

Love the chess set. Have you tried a 1:6 version?

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

blackpool

geeez that's absolutely stunning!!! Only one question left, where can we order and when are you opening your store?

seriously fantastic work, the quality and level of detail is fantastic!!!

ukshaun

I am waiting for someone to 3D some 1/6 scale light switches, plug sockets etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Love the Lewis set. So cool.
Yeah it's great, only need some chessboards now.  Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:Amazing work on those chessman, Ovy! You are making me want to do some historical figures.... if only I had the time and supplies ....

The baby is a great idea, and very creative use of the 3D printer.
Thanks! Yeah, we all need more... supply of time.

GubernatorFan wrote:Wow... the gift that keeps on giving indeed! The rodents are precious, the Lewis chessmen are exquisite and a perfect choice, and the baby looks very promising. I'm sure you'll figure out a trick. Shovelchop used to solve many such dilemmas with Lego parts. I guess resin has little give to it, even when heated, which is where rubber and plastic/polymer-based parts come more handy. But I'm sure you'll find a way.
Thanks a lot, yes maybe little lego joints are the way to go, or just regular one dot lego parts might work, thanks for the suggestion!

Valiarde wrote:I said it before but the chess pieces look so good, like made of marble or ivory. I wonder which material you will use for the board. Wood? XPS?

Reading that you used different heights for the pawns is so much love to details.

Thanks!
Not sure about the board though yet. Need a reliable way to perfectly cut squares maybe. Or just print it in color somewhere Laughing

Theboo-bomb wrote:A baby, an army of squirrels and a chess set. Sounds like the start of a surrealist movie of some kind. Those are fantastic, specially those squirrels the details are really good.
Yeah some great models out there. And I would watch that movie probably. I guess it's French or Spanish and from the 60s or 70s.

tankgirlfuzzy wrote:This is just some awesome work Ovy, and will only further your already abundant creativity! Shocked

Thanks so much!

Tjolnir wrote:hi and sorry for the late reply. was down with a bad cold or something, at least covid test was negative.
as for the rats, if i remember correctly, those two are what i had in mind for my rat king project.
the more detailed one minus the whiskers of course =)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586166

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543001

second are rather for background purposes, easier to print but lacking in detail.
cheers

Hope you are well! Don't worry I am a late responder too, haha. The first rat I actually downloaded some time ago, but was afraid the whiskers would mess up the print, but now I know how to remove stuff like that in blender. You will hear from me when I had successful prints.

blackpool wrote:geeez that's absolutely stunning!!! Only one question left, where can we order and when are you opening your store?

seriously fantastic work, the quality and level of detail is fantastic!!!
Thanks a lot! And I will only open an offical store if I am able to learn how to make interesting 3d models myself.
The other business is handled via PM. So if you need something, France is not that far away.  Laughing

ukshaun wrote:I am waiting for someone to 3D some 1/6 scale light switches, plug sockets etc
Yeah I will be on the lookout for that. You could check thingiverse too.

shazzdan wrote:Love the chess set. Have you tried a 1:6 version?
Ha, sir, look closely, they were 1/6 all along!

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_204028

I added thin browns to the paintjob, now at least the white guys look more accurate, really brings out the fine detail
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_204152

Just look how detailed the 3d models are. Some less detailed faceless ones in between from another maker.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_204431

When printing directly on the plate, there are those little pools around the model. The three on the right still have these, sanded them all down like an idiot.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210113_184728

I made other sets the same way, but the bases looked a bit inaccurate on some. Then I printed them on a raft with supports, this way you can wash and paint them easier and no details get lost.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX-20210114-203644

Watched Queen's Gambit for the mood while preparing and painting all these figures. Really good show! Didn't think chess could be that exciting. I still have no idea what they did while playing most of the time.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_203903

Made a regular black and white Staunton chess set.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_203500

An a wooden Dubrovnik Chess set. Looks a bit too shiny and no wood texture, maybe it will look better on a chess board in similar colors. Notice the reversed tips of the bishops, haha.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 3 PSX_20210114_203415

I still don't know much about chess, no clue of tactics or knowledge of openings at all. I played as a kid a bit.
But then I watched this video. Don't want to boast, but many of my intuitive tactics back then appear in this master class video. Maybe I am a born  chess master after all.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sixth-scale chess pieces... brilliant. Someone did it before in metal, but these (both the Lewis and modern sets) look so much more natural. Good luck with Lego articulation experiments on the baby. Can't wait to see what you figure out.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Ovy wrote:
Look at what? How can anyone tell how big they are when there is nothing to gauge the scale?

Diana

Diana
Those chess sets look awesome!! (And the helmets, too!)

Valiarde

Valiarde
shazzdan wrote:
Ovy wrote:
Look at what? How can anyone tell how big they are when there is nothing to gauge the scale?

It is really hard to see the scale - I was also wondering when Ovy send me the pics first time. But then I saw the Reichskrone and the knight helmet and thought: Yeah it should be 1/6 scale. But 1:1 chess also comes in various scales - I had a mini chess board for my pocket as a teen lol

figures look super real and cute

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Not necessarily the exact same thing, but your favorite YouTuber has a video using Lego parts for articulation!

ZombieTestSubject

Holy cow, these look amazing. I just don't know whether all this printing would help you with your customs or distract you from making them. LOL

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
All I can say about your prints is WOW!!

I ordered my Creality 3d printer (non-resin) about a year ago, and being an early adopter it took some few months for the finished product (CR6-SE) to ship.

I can already tell by your photos that resin was probably the better choice that I unfortunately did not make. You may have mentioned it, but what printer model did you go with? What is the build volume?

I believe your post alone has swayed me!! I’m having serious thoughts about selling my unit and ordering a resin printing machine!

Great work!!

EDIT: I found the model number and build volume earlier up on page 1! Thanks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum