OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need to address something within the group . . .

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Rogerbee

Founding Father

Thanks for the link, I'm pretty happy with my Bandai, he's all the Stormie I need.

CHEERS!

scalawag

As I mentioned before, negative criticism is needed.
Some products need to be negatively appraised they are that poor.
What is lacking in some instances (and not all by any means) is a little self restraint, calmness and some degree of respect for the reader who lets face it is a fellow member of your community here.

Clearly some here feel that the feelings of other members here are not important and that it is ok to say what you want without thinking of the effect it may have on others.  That is an attitude that seems to prevail across much of the internet for better or worse, and is leading to the feel on a lot of forums that they are combative and aggressive places to participate in.

Well if it is ok to say just what you think with no recourse to others then that is what I will do too.
It’s an attitude that stinks, and makes disscussion on forums one sided and unbalanced by seeking to intimidate the quieter participants of a forum, who in general would prefer a place with more civilised and considered disscussion.
It is disrespectful of people and seeks to demean others (with the use of terms like snow flake etc..) when they dare to disagree rather than win them round with well reasoned argument (which of course requires thought rather than just saying the first thing that comes into your head), or being genuinely open minded ( which of course requires the ability to understand that your opinion is not a fact, but rather it is an idea based on your perception, and that therefore the opinions of others may be equally as valid as your own, even if they are different because they are formed from a different perspective).
It can mean that a few loud self centred individuals can make a place like this an unpleasant and unwelcoming place for many who may hold differing views, and it is quite frankly one of the most negative things about this hobby!

If you don’t like what I have said, well I don’t care either really now, just ignore it, after all ignorance seems to be a big part of the make up of people who hold the view that what others feel should not matter to them.

Paul

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Well said, Paul. Disrespectful behavior that demeans others when they dare to disagree rather than win them round with reasoned argument, is what I am taking exception at, too. As for not caring, perhaps that is a useful defense mechanism for any of us. On the other hand, if we didn't care, how could we have a sensible and informative conversation; might as well limit all commenting to thumbs up or thumbs down; and that would hardly do. Debate and disagreement are fine, as long as they are civil.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

scalawag

Exactly GubernatorFan.

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Can’t we all just get along? Very Happy

He who dies with the most toys wins!

I need to address something within the group . . . - Page 2 C8485110

scalawag

scalawag
To all get along we need to respect one another's views, and not just ignore or try to shout down what does not fit with our own views. Shocked

Paul

Skippy

Exactly.

You don't have to agree with everything, but there are ways of disagreeing that don't involve browbeating or belittling the opinions of others.

We all have different experiences and outlooks.

Things are never generally all bad or all good, though some tend to dismiss a thing in its entirety, without seeing what positives it may possess.

scalawag

scalawag
Absolutely Asta, I could not agree more. Wink

Paul

shazzdan

shazzdan
Rogerbee wrote:To my mind, cost is a deciding factor in the lack of 'look what I made' posts. We can't all do builds like Shovelchop does.

You don't have to spend any money at all and Bad Wolf just showed us what can be done with a few pieces of paper.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t115-spring-time-challenge.

All you need is some imagination and some spare time.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I have both, but, my mind doesn't always connect properly with my hands. I've never been able to scratch build stuff. If I have something already in front of me with a clear idea of where it's going then I'm fine.

Well said to Asta and Paul by the way.

CHEERS!

shazzdan

shazzdan
I'm not much good at scratch building either. My mind works better when I have something in front of me and try to find ways to make it better or adapt it for another purpose. When I have to scratch build something I need to find out how others do it and just copy them. There is a tutorial for pretty much everything on the internet these days.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That is true,

The most valuable tutorials for me have been Darren Carnall's on Patreon. You have to pay $5 a month, but, it's the best money I have ever spent.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
shazzdan wrote:Sometimes I log on here and there are no new posts except "New Products". I'd rather see something original like a kitbash or diorama.

As would I, but I try to remember a few things:

Primarily, we're still a pretty small group. Bashing is where my heart lies, but without the "new product" announcements here, I'd be really out of the loop (as if I were ever in it...).

Some folks don't want to do original stuff, but are still proud of what they've bought and have on display.

Some folks value photography more than the ability to build stuff.

Some folks just can't build anything. No shame in that. Time, talent, access to materials, expertise with tools and many other things can contribute to that mindset.

So, as much as I love the originality that is brought to this table, I try to be aware, and indeed appreciative, of other outlets too. It's boils down to the fact that we're all different and that's OK. It would be boring as hell if we all thought the same way. Besides, how would folks like Chop get due appreciation without hacks like me showing some of my junk from time to time?

A little "live and let live" goes a long way.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Words of wisdom, dadrab, with which I wholeheartedly agree. Just please don't show us your junk on here, or Forumotion will suspend us. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wink

Your purchases, customs, kitbashes, or other creations are totally welcome.

dadrab

dadrab
GubernatorFan wrote: Just please don't show us your junk on here, or Forumotion will suspend us. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Wink

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah, that low-hanging fruit is hard to pass up, isn't it? Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yep, and you managed another double entendre... I find puns irresistible.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:To my mind, cost is a deciding factor in the lack of 'look what I made' posts. We can't all do builds like Shovelchop does.

You don't have to spend any money at all and Bad Wolf just showed us what can be done with a few pieces of paper.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t115-spring-time-challenge.

All you need is some imagination and some spare time.

Just to clarify, I tend to use other peoples' junk/trash for most of my builds (not the smelly sticky stuff...although I did get some real tarmac off road worker repaving outside my house the other day..) and not splash out on parts, hell the bodies I use mostly are recycled Frankenstein monsters or 3quid used Dr. Who bodies! I will pick up the odd thing here and there from shops like Toy Anxiety if it's cheap and just helps speed up the build. I do the WIP threads as tutorials in a way as I discover for myself how to do things differently from the norm and usually for a fraction of the cost so others can learn with me. Also because I'm agoraphobic now a days with ef'all else to keep me going! Wink  Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread just didn't want people put off visiting custom WIP threads because they were under the impression they are an expensive/exclusive way to achieve desired figures, quite the contrary.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Just curious what kicked off this discussion (not that I want anyone called out or anything).  From my experience, I think this community does an excellent job of respectful discourse, without any excess of negativity.  I've seen a lot of excellent points above, all of which make me think we're already pretty much all on the same page.  No one expects sycophantic positivity aimed towards every release and project.  There is nothing wrong with disliking a release, and I definitely want to hear all the reasons anyone here dislikes it.  Hell, I'm here to talk about toys, so lets do it.  What you like, what you don't.  I think there's just a general expectation that when you don't like something, you're capable of expressing that without... well, being a dick.  I mean seriously, We're HERE TO TALK ABOUT TOYS!  Man, if we can't do that without picking fights, I think we might all be doomed.

And again, I have YET to see an example where I thought this group fell short of that.  I've said before, I think this forum is an awesome example of what an online discussion group like this SHOULD be.  Right along with what Stryker said above, I try to always conduct myself as I would if we were having this conversation face to face.  And I think with out exception, everyone I've interacted with on this forum is someone I'd be glad to have a conversation face to face with.  Preferably with drinks in our hands.  

There are so many ways to enjoy this hobby.  I love custom projects, commercial offerings, and toy photos, and I'm on here for all of it.  And I want to hear about what everyone else here loves about the hobby (and hates).  

And Shazzdan, while I agree that I'd love to see more custom work, I'm so grateful to Stryker for doing such an incredible always job posting new release info.  It's huge, and so appreciated.  And I want to see what people buy.  How they use it.  How they photograph it.  Hell, I want to hear how excited someone is when they get a new figure they were waiting to receive.  There's room for all of it here, and it all enriches our experience as a community of makers and collectors, and people who just really enjoy this 1/6 world.

If anyone's not pulling their weight, it's me.  I have so many 1/2 finished projects I'm dying to finish and share here.  Damn job, always getting in the way of all the fun stuff...

http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, for the shout out ReverendSpooky. While I can understand getting tired of seeing New Product threads and little else (it can be just as exhausting creating them, by the way — not to mention time-consuming), they are an important part of our hobby. Bashers can’t bash if they don’t know what’s available (or going to be available), and collectors can’t collect for the same reason. Very Happy

It’s all in the name of dolls/action figures anyway. Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
As someone who has created a small handful of the New Product Announcements in those rare moments when Stryker had not already gotten to them, even the easiest approach can get quite tedious with all the reposting of often unnecessarily many image links. I appreciated Stryker's postings of these announcements to begin with, but now I appreciate them 13 times more. So, in short, thanks, Stryker!

onesixthwarrior

onesixthwarrior
I can't see how product announcement threads, members' posts of new purchases or threads showing stock figures can possibly be used as rationale for uncivil, hostile commentary. Yes, some of us are passionate about the hobby, but that's still not a reason to be uncivil. One can be direct, and honest without being disrespectful. That a forum moderator would claim that he can't be bothered with civility or that showing respect isn't his style is quite disappointing.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Thank you Stryker2011 for the New Product Announcements, I for for one really do appreciate it! (expressly the TBLeague Product Announcements)

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:
Just to clarify, I tend to use other peoples' junk/trash for most of my builds (not the smelly sticky stuff...although I did get some real tarmac off road worker repaving outside my house the other day..) and not splash out on parts, hell the bodies I use mostly are recycled Frankenstein monsters or 3quid used Dr. Who bodies! I will pick up the odd thing here and there from shops like Toy Anxiety if it's cheap and just helps speed up the build. I do the WIP threads as tutorials in a way as I discover for myself how to do things differently from the norm and usually for a fraction of the cost so others can learn with me. Also because I'm agoraphobic now a days with ef'all else to keep me going! Wink  Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread just didn't want people put off visiting custom WIP threads because they were under the impression they are an expensive/exclusive way to achieve desired figures, quite the contrary.

That was precisely what I meant, you scratch build with stuff you can find for free, but, not all of us have your eye or skills so we have to buy what we need.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:As someone who has created a small handful of the New Product Announcements in those rare moments when Stryker had not already gotten to them, even the easiest approach can get quite tedious with all the reposting of often unnecessarily many image links. I appreciated Stryker's postings of these announcements to begin with, but now I appreciate them 13 times more. So, in short, thanks, Stryker!

onesixthwarrior wrote:I can't see how product announcement threads, members' posts of new purchases or threads showing stock figures can possibly be used as rationale for uncivil, hostile commentary. Yes, some of us are passionate about the hobby, but that's still not a reason to be uncivil. One can be direct, and honest without being disrespectful. That a forum moderator would claim that he can't be bothered with civility or that showing respect isn't his style is quite disappointing.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Thank you Stryker2011 for the New Product Announcements, I for for one really do appreciate it! (expressly the TBLeague Product Announcements)

Thanks, fellas, I appreciate it, but I wasn’t trying to pat myself on the back, or looking for sympathy. I took on the responsibility of posting new products myself, and I’m happy to do it. Plus I don’t think shazzdan was saying stop posting New Product threads, I’m pretty sure what he meant was that he’d like to see people posting their custom work, as well/in addition to. But as GubernatorFan pointed out, were still a fairly small community, and not everyone here is a custom builder; plus we have quite a few members who havent posted anything, not even an introduction just to say hello; as those numbers grow, and as people feel more comfortable in the group, I’m sure we’ll see more and more custom work. Just as I’m sure we’ll see “Look what I Bought” stuff more; I’m happy to see any and all.

Ephiane

Ephiane
There´s maybe to many sarcasm from me to some new " Sexy Girls " Releases Rolling Eyes from the companys
That´s negativ, sure... Sorry to All the Friends here who like that Style of "Sexy Girls " Releases.
I don´t have a problem with that style, but some releases are really....strange

dadrab

dadrab
GubernatorFan wrote:As someone who has created a small handful of the New Product Announcements in those rare moments when Stryker had not already gotten to them, even the easiest approach can get quite tedious with all the reposting of often unnecessarily many image links. I appreciated Stryker's postings of these announcements to begin with, but now I appreciate them 13 times more. So, in short, thanks, Stryker!

I alluded to it in a previous post, but I appreciate the efforts of Stryker too. I wouldn't know about a lot of stuff were it not for him.

My hearty thanks to him, as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum