OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interest Threads - SSF (Dave) Just Deleted Them

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Rogerbee

Founding Father

There is a group on FB, OneSixthFreaks, which is continuing the interest threads that were deleted and Ilya Kirsanov is starting up a board that will do likewise.

If you have any interests already invested then a trip to the FB group should help

CHEERS!

Morpheus

That's what the new PrimeGeek forum is saying - they're saving the interest threads. Got quite a few members already.

OneSixthFreaks - can't seem to find that FB group. Got a direct link?

dadrab

Oh, Lord. Will the nonsense ever cease?

Interest Threads - SSF (Dave) Just Deleted Them - Page 2 Face-palm

I don't go to SSF on a routine basis. Just never got comfortable with it, but this seems like a pretty low-down move.

If I had any skin in that game, I'd be looking for someone's address with intent to introduce them to a friendly can of whoopass.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Here’s the situation as far as OnesixthFigures is concerned in regard to the custom projects threads:

We cannot condone, nor will we accept responsibility for any such threads (Forumotion’s language is pretty clear on rights infringement). We ask that the posting of Interest Threads be limited to showing WIP images, final product images, and input, etc, much the way all of ArtFigures threads have been handled. All business-related information, solicitation of sales and costs, or communications in that regard should be conducted through Private Messages only. What happens in those messages is between you and the artists and in no way will OneSixthFigures, or it’s moderators, be responsible for arrangements made between its members. We welcome any and all artists to share their work, but anything over and above is the sole responsibility of those involved. Discretion is key here, and in the future, if we garner the attention of any legal rights holders and receive complaints, we will have to step in and take action.

Morpheus

Morpheus
It's all being taken care of, but good to know Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Here's a link to One Sixth Freaks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/213563072768557/

CHEERS!

Skippy

Darklord Dave (Stephan) posted on OneSixthRepublic:

Sean Dabbs Gwendydd Stclair exactly, it's ridiculous to think a company would give you a licence for such a small part, and small sales alone would not even open a discussion with you. The fact is that a lot of custom artists HELP these licenced figures, by offering repaints, alternate heads or costumes, stands etc etc. I know a lot of people that ended up buying a statue because they could have it repainted or have another head of it, bought a figure so they could add an alternate head to it.
15h

David Stephan Sean Dabbs That was exactly the point I made to them. Anything that augments an existing figure actually helps the sale of that figure. But their licensors are requiring them to enforce this zero tolerance policy.
15h

David Stephan
Sean Dabbs Well, sideshow didn't create the freaks forum. I did. They fully supported and encouraged it though, almost from the start.
14h

David Stephan It's not owned by Sideshow. It's independently owned and operated and supported through affiliate sales and membership fees. Without that income the substantial monthly expense of the forum could not be supported.
11h

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Hmm, just like Jon Deak, trying to make out that he's not the bad guy.

CHEERS!

Skippy

The loss of the customs section from SSF doesn't affect me as I never fancied getting on board with any of those open ended projects that seem to drag on for years, and sometimes just turn out to be scams when the custom maker disappears, or comes out with a menu of excuses, until they either run out of excuses or the customers run out of patience. And then they disappear completely.

Sometimes the end product just doesn't look like it was worth the cost. But the buyers are so invested they often can't help but say how wonderful it all is. Though I remember PixelPiper complaining how bad a Van Gogh figure turned out.

I'm more interested in full on bootlegs, the unlicensed complete figures. Cheaper, less risk and more fun to mess with without fear of destroying the value of an expensive custom you waited an anxious two years for.

It's a little odd that those threads haven't been taken down yet, whereas the whole custom section got the chop.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:It's a little odd that those threads haven't been taken down yet, whereas the whole custom section got the chop.

That was my thought. The entire custom thread section gets wiped out, which included thousands of things which SSC (nor HT) have anything to do with it, yet VTS, Redman, etc. threads in the general area still exist... ?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Interest Threads - SSF (Dave) Just Deleted Them - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Redman are rip off merchants, but, most of the people they ripped off are in the custom section. A lot of people are blissfully unaware of what they're up to, but, if you're in the know, you know!

Redman figures are pretty bad all round, particularly when you compare them to the figures they ripped off.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Redman are rip off merchants, but, most of the people they ripped off are in the custom section. A lot of people are blissfully unaware of what they're up to, but, if you're in the know, you know!

Redman figures are pretty bad all round, particularly when you compare them to the figures they ripped off.

CHEERS!

Yeah, I get that Redman is a rip-off of a rip-off, but I find it ironic that ALL the custom work was removed, and yet threads like Furiosa, Logan (which is infringing on the Marvel license), and the General X-Men (all bootlegs) threads still exist. Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Skippy

Redman have some high points in their catalogue, even if they did copy some ridiculously overpriced unlicensed figures: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly trio; The Outlaw Josey Wales (which was an original sculpt as they showed progress photos), and the re-released Blondie as Monco from For A Few Dollars more.

The paintwork on those Redman figures puts most of Sideshow's output to shame, so it's in Sideshow's favour to enforce the will of the license holders and attempt to limit the visibility of customs/bootlegs.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
There are lots of grey areas and loopholes, it's best not to overanalise them and just concentrate on the stuff you love. SSF is pretty much as dead as OSW to me, they've got nothing left that I want to see. Thankfully OSF is here to cater for my habit.

CHEERS!

Cobratrooper11

Cobratrooper11
personally i am torn on this. i don't know which side to support, the artist, or the artist? on one hand, IP rights are in play, and on the other, it's art thats at stake. i feel like it's best to steer clear of the issue, and let those who wanna play with fire do so. i would suggest caution going forward as i see this only getting worse. i suspect there may be some C&D orders, but who knows.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Yeah, I'm of the same mind. If you like a certain product, like say the Treasure Hunter or Space Tracker head, grab it as soon as you can and make the most of it.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
This whole "intellectual property license" thing is waaaaaaaay out of hand.

The real hell of it is that the vast majority of the fear centers around hearsay that is further fueled by raging paranoia.

A little discrepancy goes a long way.

Skippy

dadrab wrote:The real hell of it is that the vast majority of the fear centers around hearsay that is further fueled by raging paranoia.

A little discrepancy goes a long way.

When the subject of misinformation was brought up on SSF, this came to mind:

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Now the entire Freaks board is down.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
No great loss when everything I wanted to look at is gone.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:No great loss when everything I wanted to look at is gone.

CHEERS!

That's pretty much how I feel, but it does seem like a strange coincidence. (Though I'm gonna' be p.o.d if I can't get ahold of the people that I have money invested in custom projects with thanks to all this.)

jomaccudo

jomaccudo
Okay, good to know it isn't just me. I wonder if that's it? Seems inevitable, but that's kinda quick.

dadrab

dadrab
Clear cut case of NOT giving the people what they want.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I’m not going to jump to too many conclusions just yet, but it does seem a little suspicious considering the recent developments.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Is it possible the site is simply offline for some sort of update?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It’s possible. Yesterday I saw that Dave was going to move one entire section of the forum to the General area, due to lack of new product or updates. It’s possible that in the attempt, it caused some sort of problem.

Skippy

It's back up now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum