OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 27]

BAD WOLF-787

dadrab wrote:Brilliant.

Now I'm going to have to go to Hobby Lobby.

Mighty good find.

Thank you my friend I'm glad you like it, it was a little birthday present to myself.

Fox915

Amazing find Bad Wolf! The dragon table and the plasma ball is really creative.

BAD WOLF-787

Fox915 wrote:Amazing find Bad Wolf! The dragon table and the plasma ball is really creative.

Thank you, the dragon table seemed perfect for this setting.

Pontiacivan

Wow! Seems I missed a bunch of great hauls!
Everyone: fantastic buys!
The wire chairs, the telescope, the plasma ball, the metal roofed building! They all have my thinker working!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Three different telescope/spyglass-themed charms (continuing with a theme begun in some previous posts). I have now assembled a mini-collection of all three types I have come across, and here is how they look compared to each other and in scale with sixth-scale action figures.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Teles010

The telescope by Explorer I got at Hobby Lobby. It is a static peace (some of the parts were apparently screwed in, so they can theoretically be unscrewed). It seems a little too thick to me, but I am no expert on telescopes. It features glass lenses on both ends.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Teles011

The telescope by Steampunk is very similar but slightly more detailed: in addition to featuring glass lenses, it is also extendable/collapsible. It is otherwise similar in size and proportions to the Explorer one.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Teles012

I got the brass binoculars charm (which seems to be for a key chain) from the same place on eBay, but I cannot determine whether it is also by Steampunk or some other brand (so the label I put on the photo might be misleading). The binoculars are about the right size for vintage binoculars, but do not have lenses. There is no articulation.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Teles013

The Found Objects (by Bead Landing) telescopes I ordered from Michaels. They came three on a card, in two different metallic colors. They are completely solid pieces without any articulation, and have no lenses and the eye end is "plugged" up. Although they seem a more natural proportion to me, they may be slightly undersized (especially when it comes to length) for sixth-scale figures, although one could probably still use them (telescopes do come in different sizes). I think Stryker has already put them to good use.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Teles014

All of the above were quite affordable, and could make a decent addition to a diorama.
I hope you found this useful.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice comparison photos, Guv. I like that the larger scopes come with lenses, unlike the smaller ones (the last photo does indeed have the ones that I purchased). If the larger ones were a bit longer (ie, had more “extensions”), they probably wouldn’t look out of scale. I clipped off the eyelet on the one that I used in my Pirate Queen photo, then filed down the excess.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Stryker! And I agree about the proportions. By the way, your Pirate Queen photo (and setup) is phenomenal (I was looking at it again because of the telescopes).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you, Stryker! And I agree about the proportions. By the way, your Pirate Queen photo (and setup) is phenomenal (I was looking at it again because of the telescopes).

Thanks, Guv. She was a lot of fun to put together. Now I need to finish the peg-legged pirate.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Mini Mail Box Savings Bank (i.e., piggy bank) -- made in Korea and distributed by AMC, NY. Vintage-style steel mailbox piggy bank available (apparently) in different colors. It is about 7.25 in (19 cm) tall, has a mail (or coin) slot, and also an openable mail or package door on the top (just like a real mailbox). To get whatever you put inside it out, you can use one of the two supplied keys which unlocks the front panel. Overall, the item works well for a sixth-scale environment, and looks pretty realistic (or can easily be made to look so). I think Moonbase Alpha Male has used something similar in some of his city street dioramas.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Mailbo10

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Mailbo11

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Mailbo12

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
That mailbox is really cool! Where did you get yours? And with the larger telescopes - do you think, with a stand or tripod, they might work better as that type of telescope than the handheld kind? Just a thought.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool mailbox. While the key slot is a bit big, I do like that it opens where a real mailbox does. Really well thought out on the part of the manufacturer.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
We don’t have Targets in the U.K. but I’ve seen some US based collectors with these $3 metal barbecues from there recently - they’re pretty plain but you could easily add a grill and some more details!

https://instagram.com/p/Bi7i7oAnVib/

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Those are pretty cool. A little black and metal paint and you wouldn't know those grills were originally those colors.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:That mailbox is really cool!  Where did you get yours?  And with the larger telescopes - do you think, with a stand or tripod, they might work better as that type of telescope than the handheld kind?  Just a thought.

I think so too. I stumbled across the mail box while looking for something else on eBay. There are a few similar items (but always check the height and photos -- judging by mine, you want something about 7 inches tall). Here are some links.

As for the larger telescopes, I suppose one could try them out with a tripod, but I have nothing of the kind to test it with. They are metal, not plastic, so the tripod would have to be sufficiently sturdy.

Stryker2011 wrote:Cool mailbox. While the key slot is a bit big, I do like that it opens where a real mailbox does. Really well thought out on the part of the manufacturer.

Agreed. I could also have done without the embossed "coins" under the letter slot. Smile But conveys a real mailbox very well. With some stickers (some of the other ones come with them), it would look right.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another metal mailbox piggy bank I found on eBay. This one is made in Taiwan, and is very slightly larger (7.5 in/19 cm tall) than the blue Korean one I showed before. It is even more realistic, with a smaller keyhole, collection time schedule (although it is strangely labeled "hours-of money collection"), and "mail" embossed on the sides.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Mailbo13

I think it will work out nicely for potential street scenes. Which is not to say I am ready for those just yet.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Mailbo14

What do you think?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty nice. You can always redo the collection time sticker

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Stryker, glad you liked it too. I suppose I can redo the sticker, but not that nicely. It is shiny and metallic looking.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
I'm a big fan of novelty keychains. Here a few I recently purchased each was $1.50 or less. Sorry for the blurry pictures, some of them are heavy and the guys didn't want to stand up. Lol

Turbochargers. They come in a variety of powder coat colors and anodized finishes...
2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Img_6110

N.O.S. Bottles. Multiple anodized colors.Too small for scale but they work as bottles or tanks for my dioramas...
2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Img_6111

These were listed as "quick disconnect fittings". I thought they were gong to be small and I could use them on Space suits, but they are pretty good size. I'm going to use them on the dropship engines.same variety of anodized colors as the N.O.S. Tanks.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Img_6112
2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Img_6113

Finally, anodized shocks. Multiple colors. The scale is really good if needed for a garage diorama, I'm going to use them for bots and such. They really adjust and they do compress, but the piston is very loose fitting, an o-ring or something would be needed to remove the slop.
2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 Img_6114

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice finds, Pontiacvan. Bet we'll see them in your new builds.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Those quick disconnect fittings are interesting. They look like the ones fire departments use on their hoses.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Stryker2011 wrote:Those quick disconnect fittings are interesting. They look like the ones fire departments use on their hoses.

I thought so too, but my Googling revealed they are (model) steering wheel disconnects for race cars. He company name on them is real, NRG, and these look just like the real 1:1 item.
Unfortunately, they do not come apart, but I think I can still find some uses for them.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting. I think you could still use them on hoses (not just fire hoses), and no one would really mind or notice.

dadrab

dadrab
That's some seriously cool looking stuff for those of us who are part "gear-head." If I were into engine detail for some of my sixth scale builds, I'd for sure seek out some of the turbos. (Once you've had forced air, it's hard to go back. Cool ) As it happens, the shocks I'm using on my latest Jeep build are almost just like the ones your figures are holding...perhaps a little longer.

All and all, pretty damn good haul. Thanks for showing us.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I swear, this thread makes me poor. I think I need that 2nd mailbox, and all the car parts Pontiacivan found would be great for the workshop I'm building. So much awesome...

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
ReverendSpooky wrote:I swear, this thread makes me poor.  I think I need that 2nd mailbox, and all the car parts Pontiacivan found would be great for the workshop I'm building.  So much awesome...

I don't know what it I should with me and keychains. I just found out Tupperware made a large number of novelty keychains. They are a little more expensive than the $1.50 specials I love me, but I may try to snag a few of the more recognizable types.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I have a problem, and that problem is my slight addiction to free wallpaper samples from DIY shops!

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 40497579660_0bd5d6cb80_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 42399701312_ef94d54b60_zWallpaper samples by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The choice in colours, textures and patterns these days is incredible, and many of them can be used very successfully in dioramas. I particularly love the wood and stone effect ones as most have a matte textured finish which looks great in photographs. The scale can be a little difficult at times, particularly with the brick ones, but in the right context they can be quite convincing castle or dungeon walls.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 36095770461_f640cb49f6_zBehind the scenes! by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 33239964394_6785f78afc_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 33240304654_21c5ee70a8_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The wood effect ones can be cut into strips for planks, or as I used a few pages ago, to make a weathered looking table.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 27434774597_25ef647359_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Also, kind of unrelated but I saw these candle wicks in a craft shop the other day and thought they might make useful plaited rope with some weathering.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 27580165887_2a5f5fd7bf_zWicks for rope by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Lynkhart wrote:I have a problem, and that problem is my slight addiction to free wallpaper samples from DIY shops!

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 40497579660_0bd5d6cb80_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 42399701312_ef94d54b60_zWallpaper samples by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Awesome!
Humans all have addictions, it's just the substance we are drawn too.
I think free wallpaper samples is a pretty good one to have!
I love it!

The choice in colours, textures and patterns these days is incredible, and many of them can be used very successfully in dioramas. I particularly love the wood and stone effect ones as most have a matte textured finish which looks great in photographs. The scale can be a little difficult at times, particularly with the brick ones, but in the right context they can be quite convincing castle or dungeon walls.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 36095770461_f640cb49f6_zBehind the scenes! by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 33239964394_6785f78afc_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 33240304654_21c5ee70a8_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The wood effect ones can be cut into strips for planks, or as I used a few pages ago, to make a weathered looking table.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 27434774597_25ef647359_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Also, kind of unrelated but I saw these candle wicks in a craft shop the other day and thought they might make useful plaited rope with some weathering.

2 - Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 11 27580165887_2a5f5fd7bf_zWicks for rope by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice catch, Christine. That first shot is hilarious; you look so excited! And I love how you achieved the bar effect in the dungeon photo. Very cool.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I second Stryker's comment. That first photo is wonderful and the look says it all. And these are very nice finds. The massive stonework dungeon wall looks perfect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum