OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If they had these 20 years ago...

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1If they had these 20 years ago... Empty If they had these 20 years ago... Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:06 pm

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I think it would have been a tossup whether I would have gotten into 1/6 the way I did. Probably still would have, but I think 1/12 would have been an easier choice. The problem is still selection though, but more new stuff seems to be coming...

Check out the quality on these, my BHD crew, together with 1/10 RC Humvee (a little overscale, but they fit inside perfectly). 

If they had these 20 years ago... P1090137If they had these 20 years ago... P1090138If they had these 20 years ago... P1090143If they had these 20 years ago... P1090132If they had these 20 years ago... P1090141If they had these 20 years ago... P1090140

2If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice! It may be slightly over scale, but the pics of them inside the vehicle look excellent. Have you seen the Saving Private Ryan figures in this scale? They actually look really good, and I’ve seen numerous Germans as well.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

If they had these 20 years ago... C8485110

3If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Chip

If you had not explained , I would of sworn those were 1/6th , the new 1/12 stuff is so well detailed now . I been tempted a little , but I don`t think I could afford to do both scales . These look great though .

4If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They certainly work very well with the vehicle.

5If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:24 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
As far as the title of your thread: yeah, if the 1/12 figures 20 years ago looked as good as a lot of the stuff coming out today, I have the same feeling — it would certainly have been infinitely easier to make multiple dioramas and be able to display all of them. I have the Mezco Dr, Zaius, and it’s really cool, but I haven’t seen one mention of any further figures; if Neca hadn’t dropped the ball on their Planet of the Apes line, and had produced more than just a handful of apes (and no Taylor and Nova), I would have been all over that line (though the Mezco Zaius puts the Neca line to shame, as it comes with real cloth clothing, like your figures). I would have had a field day making the cages, parts of the town, the amphitheater, the courtroom. Man! One can dream! But sadly, it doesn’t look as if it’ll ever happen, and I don’t have all the time in the world to wait around.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

If they had these 20 years ago... C8485110

6If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
right now i'm torn between 1/6 and 1/12. the bigger scale was tempting for its real life accessories and materials such as cloth and metal, having everything made of plastic sometimes looks off and takes away some of the effort to depict reality as closely as possible. plus, at least for me, it is far more forgiving creating something in a bigger scale due to my lack in fine detail craftsmanship.

on the other side 1/12 allows for far bigger scenes, complete buildings, streets tumbled skyscrapers, you name it. but from an early age this scale was reserved for "toys" in the back of my head, lacking production value and details.

but with today's figures like storm collectibles and s.h figuarts i can see why people pay 100€+ for such small figures.

7If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Damn those look great! Especially with the Hummer. The DAM Vietnam guys are really nicely done, too, a bit on the small side of 1/12 but look amazing.

8If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Sorry all, I've let this one slide and my notifications have been all wonky so haven't seen the responses, but thanks to all that have! I've been a bit preoccupied with my "other" thread...  Very Happy

9If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:34 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice! It may be slightly over scale, but the pics of them inside the vehicle look excellent. Have you seen the Saving Private Ryan figures in this scale? They actually look really good, and I’ve seen numerous Germans as well.
Thanks Stryker! They actually just fit inside and any smaller and they would not, so the scale works better bigger. Yes the SPR stuff looks great, but I'm holding off. What I really wanted were the Germans, but only one has been released (the SS Major, and he's pretty boring) and all the grenadiers are turning out to be vaporware.
Chip wrote:  If you had not explained , I would of sworn those were 1/6th , the new 1/12 stuff is so well detailed now . I been tempted a little , but I don`t think I could afford to do both scales . These look great though .
The detail is amazing for the scale, but you're right, they are pricy and cost over double what the old school Dragon and DID stuff used to.
GubernatorFan wrote:They certainly work very well with the vehicle.
Thanks Guv!
Stryker2011 wrote:As far as the title of your thread: yeah, if the 1/12 figures 20 years ago looked as good as a lot of the stuff coming out today, I have the same feeling — it would certainly have been infinitely easier to make multiple dioramas and be able to display all of them. I have the Mezco Dr, Zaius, and it’s really cool, but I haven’t seen one mention of any further figures; if Neca hadn’t dropped the ball on their Planet of the Apes line, and had produced more than just a handful of apes (and no Taylor and Nova), I would have been all over that line (though the Mezco Zaius puts the Neca line to shame, as it comes with real cloth clothing, like your figures). I would have had a field day making the cages, parts of the town, the amphitheater, the courtroom. Man! One can dream! But sadly, it doesn’t look as if it’ll ever happen, and I don’t have all the time in the world to wait around.
It seems manufacturers are dipping toes in the scale but most are not going all out, except maybe DAM and Crazy Figure, with a little of COO.
Tjolnir wrote:right now i'm torn between 1/6 and 1/12. the bigger scale was tempting for its real life accessories and materials such as cloth and metal, having everything made of plastic sometimes looks off and takes away some of the effort to depict reality as closely as possible. plus, at least for me, it is far more forgiving creating something in a bigger scale due to my lack in fine detail craftsmanship.

on the other side 1/12 allows for far bigger scenes, complete buildings, streets tumbled skyscrapers, you name it. but from an early age this scale was reserved for "toys" in the back of my head, lacking production value and details.

but with today's figures like storm collectibles and s.h figuarts i can see why people pay 100€+ for such small figures.
You're right, if you want detail and fewer figures, 1/6 is the way to go. But if you are into big dioramas or army building, 1/12 is way more attractive. It will still be quite pricy though.
PickleMunkey wrote:Damn those look great! Especially with the Hummer. The DAM Vietnam guys are really nicely done, too, a bit on the small side of 1/12 but look amazing.
Thanks PickleMunkey! The Hummer is by HengGuan and is pretty fun; drives really well and has shift on the fly low and high gear. The only thing I did to it was take out all the junk in the back cargo area so I could fit figures, and then install a sound module in the engine bay, which was challenging because it's a tight fit in there. 

It is pretty expensive, but I had started buying the BHD figures already when I found out about this, and I realized they had the woodland camo scheme which was perfect for the BHD look! I just wish I had more Ranger grunts to fill the Humvee, but Crazy Figure only put two out (the Josh Hartnett (which is totally sold out) and the Ewan McGregor characters) and the rest are all D boys. It was fun trying to get the D boys as movie accurate as possible in their loadouts. Hoot (Eric Bana) had pouches galore and stuck his radio in the back. He's also the only D boy I have who actually rode in a humvee, and he did man the .50 when the regular gunner was killed. My other two d boys, MOH recipients Shughart and Gordon, obviously did not ride these vehicles.

Shughart (Johnny Strong) had an interesting way of wearing his LBV where he left it hanging loose and unbuckled and let it swing freely as he was running around. Gordon (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) had the most conventional loadout but still cool looking. I posed him in the back of the humvee in exactly the way he looked leaning out the helo while providing overwatch during the mission, before he and Shughart volunteered to rescue downed helo pilot Michael Durant.

Fun! But also a sort of mini tribute to both the movie and the fallen heroes...

10If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Mon May 10, 2021 5:22 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, these DO look good! Great posing and photos! It really hits some nostalgic childhood wish to see figures actually *inside* the vehicles like that. :')

As others have noted, the appeal of 1/6 over other scales has generally been in the level of detail. I don't believe 1/12th will ever completely reach the same amount of detail, but it has been getting a great deal better.

Personally, I prefer 1/6 for the simple reason that I find it nicer/easier to handle. 1/12 still feels just a little *too* small. Everytime I handle my 6 inch figs, I find myself wishing they were just at least a tiny bit bigger... o.O

That said, if there had been a line of Star Wars figures that was similar to Mezco (with 'real' clothing), then I may never have ventured into 1/6th for that genre. But the all-plastic toy lines and even the Figuarts, nice as they are, don't quite fulfill the need to have that extra level of detail and realism.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

11If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Thu May 13, 2021 9:14 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Thanks sky! I think these Crazy Figure ones are particularly good, I have a DamToys one which is not so good. And you're right, it's satisfying to fit them inside the humvee, and not have that vehicle be huge, like a 1/6 tank or APC would be.

The figures are small and fiddly, and some parts are pretty delicate. If they were closer to 50 or 60 they might be fun to build units, but these BHD ones were expensive. The new D-Day American troops coming out are just at that lower price point, so are tempting... Smile

12If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Thanks sky! I think these Crazy Figure ones are particularly good, I have a DamToys one which is not so good. And you're right, it's satisfying to fit them inside the humvee, and not have that vehicle be huge, like a 1/6 tank or APC would be.

The figures are small and fiddly, and some parts are pretty delicate. If they were closer to 50 or 60 they might be fun to build units, but these BHD ones were expensive. The new D-Day American troops coming out are just at that lower price point, so are tempting... Smile

Ooh, a lower price for 1/12 figures is definitely a bonus. Some 1/12 figures are amazing quality these days, but then I see the price and think of all the stuff I could get in 1/6 scale instead... Laughing If you get them, definitely share pics!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

13If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am

Phicen clothes

Phicen clothes
Gorgeous action figures and equipment!

https://www.instagram.com/phicen_exotic_clothes/

14If they had these 20 years ago... Empty Re: If they had these 20 years ago... Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Thanks Phicen clothes, but in all honesty I didn't really do anything other than arrange the gear a particular way. Nothing customized, just comes out of the box that way. These are great figures and fun to "play with." The hummer I did do a little more with in terms of RC setup, but nothing crazy, it comes out of the box looking like that.

I have custom work that is far more involved on this site. Feel free to check it out, or not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum