OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Annalise

Annalise
I'm soliciting opinions on my latest h/s procurement conundrum.

This "unbranded" h/s is supposedly Chinese actress Ada Liu Yan.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 1_aly10

It looks a lot like the one used for the TBL S16A promo photos, which I think was the h/s from PL2016-100 Demon Huntress. A good clue is that the S16A is sitting on DH's base.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 2plmb210
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 3dh10

I have found sellers offering it with 7 various hair styles, including this one.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 4e_010

But while shopping for it, I noticed some oddities, especially regarding skin tone. A few sellers are offering them as a combo with an S09C body which is, of course, suntan.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 5combo10

Others are offering it loose, but they still appear to be suntan.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 6sunta10

But based solely on the skin tone of the hand holding it and allowing for differences in lighting, monitors, etc., some of these look decidedly pale to me.
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 7pale10
Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 8pale10

So what do you think? Are these knock-offs of the DH h/s or just an unbranded sculpt of Ms. Yan?

Why the difference in skin tone? Are there 2 different manufacturers each making their own version? Is it the same manufacturer painting their production run half pale and half suntan? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't know the answer to your question. Not sure the head sculpt is in fact the same as in the TBLeague promotional photo -- the shape of the head and the lips may be a little off. By the way, it is gorgeous, especially in the first photo.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I find that if the head is something you really want, it’s always best to purchase it, and then once in-hand, see what body it will match. Unfortunately, this hobby is a LOT of trial and error when it comes to skin tone matching. I’ve spent more money on heads and bodies than on pretty much any other aspect. Some of the heads could also be knock-offs of knock-offs, hence the varying hair styles and skin tones.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Bear in mind that the tbleague 'suntan' is currently quite light-coloured. To my eyes, the images don't look pale -- they look too yellow to be the tbleague pale, which tends to have more of a reddish/pinkish undertone. But it could admittedly just be the lighting used in the photo. Either way, I don't know if it's a good idea to use the skintone colour of the person holding it as a comparison, as I think a lot of tbleague heads would look paler than a real person's skincolour, regardless.

As Stryker said, if there's a head you want, go for it and then find a body to match it later on. Unless there is a particular reason you need a pale skintone?

If it's truly a deciding factor, you could ask one of the sellers to clarify the skintone just in case.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
That’s maddening. It’s hard to believe it’s the same sculpt across all of those pics. I can tell you that the lighting in the last two pics doesn’t look accurate to me in general. My money is on the sixth one down (the third with the shorter hair) as being the most accurate to what you’ll see in hand. I also think it’s the most attractive.

Here’s why I think the 6th one might be the most accurate.

Inaccurate: Direct natural light, looks like a match:

Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 5-D472681-A125-4-BC9-84-C4-A8-FB58-EB06-C8

Accurate: indirect natural light, not a match:

Your opinion wanted on a head sculpt question 9-C54-F17-E-72-BA-4109-87-E2-B2-F0411-B6-F4-E

Annalise

Annalise
Thanks to all who've responded. Rereading my post, I see that I phrased my question pretty poorly. Apologies.

I'm less concerned with matching it to a body than in figuring out if the last 2 photos are the same h/s as photos 1, 4, 5 & 6. I mentioned they looked paler, as that was the most immediately obvious difference to me, but they also look like they might be a slightly different face. That's harder to discern for me and why I asked for more eyes. The reason is the last 2 are $10-$15 cheaper than the others and that made me wonder if they were the same, just with terrible photography, or if they could be knock-offs of knock-offs.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Annalise wrote:Thanks to all who've responded. Rereading my post, I see that I phrased my question pretty poorly. Apologies.

I'm less concerned with matching it to a body than in figuring out if the last 2 photos are the same h/s as photos 1, 4, 5 & 6. I mentioned they looked paler, as that was the most immediately obvious difference to me, but they also look like they might be a slightly different face. That's harder to discern for me and why I asked for more eyes. The reason is the last 2 are $10-$15 cheaper than the others and that made me wonder if they were the same, just with terrible photography, or if they could be knock-offs of knock-offs.

The last two definitely look different to me from the rest of the photos.  If you look carefully, there’s more white under the pupils in the eyes, especially the left eye, at least on the cropped hair version. That seems to vary, though. The last two also look more elongated to me when I look at the snap of the chins.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah ok, sorry for misunderstanding. Several of these sculpts look a little different, but sometimes that can be down to the paint job or even just the angle.

Which one are you hoping to get? The short hair version?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Ok, that will not help much, but the best Headsculpt i can see in this thread is the beautiful one in Your avatar picture Very Happy Really not easy to order Headsculpts, i have a half a ton of it in spare because they are not what i´m searching for Crying or Very sad

Annalise

Annalise
@Xavion2004 - Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it, and I think you're right.

Ephiane wrote:Ok, that will not help much, but the best Headsculpt i can see in this thread is the beautiful one in Your avatar picture
Very Happy
Ephiane wrote:Really not easy to order Headsculpts, i have a half a ton of it in spare because they are not what i´m searching for
I know what you mean about the spares. I'm starting to stockpile quite a few myself.

skywalkersaga wrote:Which one are you hoping to get? The short hair version?
Yes, that's the one. It's just so hard for me to tell sometimes with these seller photos. As you say, a slight difference in paint or lighting or angle can make it look different enough that I'm no longer sure if they are the same. Then when you factor in knock-offs, it's even harder to tell if I'm buying what I want.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum