OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part I - World Peacekeepers Military Life and Sport & Adventure Sets

For Part II see HERE.

For Part III see HERE.

I haven't gotten any of these World Peacekeepers Click N' Play sets from M&C Toy Center for years, but I ran across them recently, and picked up a couple. The Military Life (Woodland) set was under $49 (USD), the Sport & Adventure (Surfer) set was under $23. The sets are sixth scale, and feature G.I. Joe-type articulated figures with appropriate military or sports clothing and accessories. While there is a greater reliance on molded plastic and the sculpts are a little softer than the high-end pricey sixth-scale accessories we are used to, much of the contents lends itself to using for custom kitbashed figures and scenes. Unlike Barbie/Ken items, these are usually not undersized and come in appropriate colors, so a little weathering might be enough to improve their realism.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc10

The Military Life set features bunk beds and a locker, together with a figure, clothing and accessories.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc11

Many of the accessories come attached on a couple of panels stored atop the two surfaces of the bunk beds. There is heavy use of tape and, worse, twisty ties.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc14

The box includes a backdrop, of sorts, onto which the figure and furniture come attached. It is a pity this gets a little damaged in the process, as it is very nicely printed with realistic enough flooring, brick and plaster walls, and even a window. I feel there is a missed opportunity here. With less damage, a little more space (though you can open up the lidless box that this backing constitutes), and a less glossy print, this would have been a very good diorama backdrop.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc15

What you get with the set besides the furniture and the weapon-carrying figure in its fatigures, boots, belt, and dog tags, are the helmet, three extra pieces for the weapon, backpack, pillow, blanket, four coat hangers, a t-shirt, boxer shorts, a white towel, shower sandals (slides), two dumbbells with removable three pairs of plates (and a stopper) each, a shaving cup, a razor, a shave brush, a tooth brush, and a guitar. The most toy-like accessories by far are the pillow and the back pack, which are made of molded plastic (although the backpack has softer plastic for the leather parts of the shoulder straps and elastic cord for the rest). They are sculpted nicely enough, and some repainting might make them appear more realistic. The coat hangers look unrealistic to me, but the rest of the accessories are either very good to begin with or easily improvable with a bit of weathering. Since these are bunk beds, it would have been appropriate to supply a second blanket and pillow.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc12

The figure itself has pretty good articulation (except that the ankles can only bend forward and backwards), but its poseability is poor, as the joints are quite loose.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc13

The head sculpt, while not disproportionate, is not particularly realistic, certainly not when compared to high-end sixth-scale collectibles. This is, of course, very much a toy set. Technically speaking, all the clothing that comes with the set could be put on this one figure (why the t-shirt and boxer shorts are not already on it, I don't know). But you could also spread these items to outfit as many as three figures, which I did below, allowing you to see how each one fits.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc16

I put the fatigues, belt, and boots on a TBLeague M33 body and gave it another head, and also the helmet and weapon that came with the set (snapping the extra pieces into place). I like the way the helmet fits, although otherwise there are some problems with the fit: the sleeves look too short (I tell myself he rolled them up) and the pants are barely buttoned.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc17

Luckily the top fits well over the torso (apart from the sleeves looking short) and the belt (which snaps shut) works well, keeping everything in place. I think if I had used the M31 body, some of the fit would have been easier, although I suspect the sleeves would still look too short. No, TBLeague feet will not fit in these boots.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc18

I put the t-shirt and shorts on another M33 body. The shorts fit easily and perfectly. The t-shirt was a struggle and is a tad short, but in the end it fits.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc19

I love the realistic look and feel of the dumb bells. I already have metal ones, but these look right while also not being awkwardly heavy for the figure. Again, you can place as many sets of plates as you want on them.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc20

I put the dog tags, the towel, and the sandals on yet another M33 body, and had him go shave and brush his teeth. See, you can spread the goods across three figures. Smile Ideally there should be clothes on the coat hangers, especially if he's just wearing a towel. The towel has the perfect thickness and fabric to look realistic. The unfortunate backpack is the perfect thing to hide in the locker. Speaking of the locker, I love it. You can buy a metal locker of similar appearance for more than this whole set cost, but this one works for me. The same goes for the bunk beds. I should point out that the "mattress" atop each level is a thin layer of foamie -- minimalistic, but it works.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc21

It now occurs to me that I should have shown the guitar some more love... attention. It has individual strings, and looks great from the top, with its faux wooden covering. The rest is a bit boxy and plastic, but a bit of weathering or repaint would probably make it look great.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc22

So that was it for this particular Military Life set; there are various others you can check out. But on to the other example...

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc24

The Sport & Adventure Surfer set comes in a much smaller box, for obvious reasons. Everything is safely packed with the use of a single twisty tie.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc23

The figure looks decent, and it uses the same body as the previous example.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc25

Again, despite the good articulation, the joints are quite loose, and it was fairly difficult to get him to stay standing in these poses for the photos.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc26

Switching the body to an M33 and the head to a more realistic sculpt, instantly improves the realism of the look and the ability to hold the accessories and maintain poses. The shorts are a tight but not impossible or overly restrictive fit.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc27

I couldn't believe it. The shirt fit too, and even easier and better than the military t-shirt from the previous set. The sunglasses are cast of semi-translucent plastic, although you can't tell from the photos.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc28

The surfing (or surf training on dry land?) pose was so much easier to achieve and maintain -- practically without effort.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc29

And now he can carry his board to the surf... or onto the beach... or wherever the heck he wants to. Smile

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc30

And when he's done carrying it around, he can set it down, towel himself off (another nice, realistic towel), and dig into the cooler for a beer or two.

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc31

Speaking of the cooler, it opens and features a removable top trey that allows additional storage below it. And that comes in handy, because as I was putting the set away, I put the towel, sunglasses, and beers in there too. So neat.

All in all, I'm glad I gave these a try. To get more out of them, some items will need a bit of weathering or repainting, but on the whole there is plenty here that will be useful, especially when combined with other items and accessories.

Where to buy? I got mine with free shipping on Amazon. You can also find them at Costwold Collectibles or search the net. I also discovered that one can order specific accessories from these sets (rather than the whole sets) online from the company at https://www.mctoy.com.hk/index.php/i/toyseries/27 (you do need to create an account).

What do you think?

For Part II see HERE.

For Part III see HERE.

#modern #military #sport #surf #male

Chip

I picked up three of the Bunk sets for My Chip Shack Marine Base . They are good I feel , what a world of difference adding the more realistic figures to the sets make . I can only echo what Ian has already said . Nice pics Ian .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:I picked up three of the Bunk sets for My Chip Shack Marine Base . They are good I feel , what a world of difference adding the more realistic figures to the sets make . I can only echo what Ian has already said . Nice pics Ian .

Thank you very much. Glad you had already come across it. With all your soldiers, you can sure use plenty of stacked bedding Smile I just realized (and added to the original post) that one can order specific accessories from their various sets rather than entire sets, from their website, https://www.mctoy.com.hk/index.php/i/toyseries/27 (you have to create an account to order -- and even view prices). Most things are fairly inexpensive, though the lockers are about $21 (I wanted more lockers in particulars, but picked up some other pieces too). There are 12 pages of sixth-scale accessories (weapons are generally at the end).

davidd

davidd
Excellent product photography! Like Chip, I can recommend the Military Life set. It took some searching to find one at a good price on eBay. I must admit it never crossed my mind to check Amazon, as I thought these were long discontinued.

I need to look for that surfing set!

Thank you for providing the direct link to the manufacturer!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Excellent product photography! Like Chip, I can recommend the Military Life set. It took some searching to find one at a good price on eBay. I must admit it never crossed my mind to check Amazon, as I thought these were long discontinued. I need to look for that surfing set! Thank you for providing the direct link to the manufacturer!

Thank you very much for the kind words, and I'm glad you agree the set is usable and liked my photography. And you're welcome for the link. Sometimes there are a few accessories you like but not the whole set, so I thought that service (like Lego's) particularly valuable. I will report if there are any problems with my order. But if you want entire sets, do check out Amazon and eBay and -- especially if Stateside -- Cotswold Collectibles. I have the feeling that if you have Amazon Prime, that might be your best bet (free shipping) but then there are also taxes, so who knows? You can see other sets on there, too. I took a photo of the back of the Surfer set, which showcases three more in the sport series:

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 Cnpwpc32

davidd

davidd
Yes, I just spotted the spear gun on the MCToy website. I was thinking just a few days ago that I could use a 1/6 spear gun, but had no idea such a thing existed. But it's listed as a separate part on the site.

And yeah, your "product photos" are excellent!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Yes, I just spotted the spear gun on the MCToy website. I was thinking just a few days ago that I could use a 1/6 spear gun, but had no idea such a thing existed. But it's listed as a separate part on the site.

And yeah, your "product photos" are excellent!

Thank you again! The spear gun, if the one at the link below, is just $1 -- but when ordering accessories your total order has to be for $10 or more. I picked up more lockers, fencing, traffic cones, masks, and some other stuff.
https://www.mctoy.com.hk/index.php/i/toy/565/996

Adeno

So $50 for all of those, I think that's a very good deal! Plus they look neat! Very nice especially for those Very Cool brand soldiers who might need extra accessories.

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:

Thank you again! The spear gun, if the one at the link below, is just $1 -- but when ordering accessories your total order has to be for $10 or more.

That's the one! Wow, a dollar?
Were shipping costs reasonable?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Adeno wrote:So $50 for all of those, I think that's a very good deal! Plus they look neat! Very nice especially for those Very Cool brand soldiers who might need extra accessories.

I think so too. Most items would be great with little or no modifications, but there are some that are rather toyish.

davidd wrote:That's the one! Wow, a dollar? Were shipping costs reasonable?

I accumulated almost $80 worth of stuff in my order, there were under $4 in PayPal charges, and (so far) no shipping surcharge, so free shipping? Even in the more scattered check out processes the shipping cost, if any, would have shown up by now, I think.

If you're curious, the locker was the most expensive item I ordered, at $21.50 per unit. Of the others I ordered, the next most expensive were the oil drum and larger traffic cone, both at $5 per unit, then the fire hydrant (with a rather short hose) at $3.50 per unit, then the water tank, round log, fire extinguisher, and road barrier all at $1.50 per unit, while the medical face mask and megaphone were both $0.50 per unit. So a lot of these are actually very low cost.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I thought they no longer made these, I used to be able to find them at a local dollar/bargain store called Pitusa which carried quite a lot of toys including GI Joe, you could also get them from JC Penney too.

I might have to take a look around their site, I remember that same bunk set being released years ago and it's interesting they still do.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:I thought they no longer made these, I used to be able to find them at a local dollar/bargain store called Pitusa which carried quite a lot of toys including GI Joe, you could also get them from JC Penney too.

I might have to take a look around their site, I remember that same bunk set being released years ago and it's interesting they still do.

I believe in the States (generally) Big Lots used to carry these, perhaps still does. I don't know if it carries/carried these particular sets (Amazon certainly does). If you wanted the bunk beds by themselves, you can get them from their site for $18.50 per unit: https://www.mctoy.com.hk/index.php/i/toy/523/954

The locker is $21.50 per unit: https://www.mctoy.com.hk/index.php/i/toy/521/952

I only go into these details, because you apparently have to make an account and log in to see the prices.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wow ! That´s really Great. The clothes really fit with the seamless bodys and so much stuff like guitarr, bed, cabinet. Ok, for that price they can´t made a high quality HS. But with Your Body / Head Mods the sets looks like fantastic. Collect them All ! I like to see the other sets pimped to Very Happy . Maybe i need a winter sport set.... ok, it´s summer, but winter is comming Wink

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
And they have affordable 1/6 vehicles too? Duuuuuude!

Holy moly guacamole, Gub. You don't know how happy I am that you shared this awesome finding and the link for the M&C Toy's website.
I loved this military kit you got there, I'll try to grab a couple of them too. It's just a lot of goodies for the price. I was also looking for a speargun. Since these costumes fit a M33 body, it's well worth getting some figures just for their uniforms.

I just signed up on M&C page. Weird that in their website, this same military kit is priced at 117USD for me (*free shipping written in red). I don't know if this extra pricing IS the shipping cost and this is just a gimmick to look like it's "free". Actually, everything there is way more expensive than at the Costworld store, buuuuut, in my case it's still worth it because the Costworld shipping is obscenely high to my country. I hate you US dwellers. *envy feels intensifies*

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Oh wow, what fantastic sets!
This is one of the things that gets me so frustrated with that kind of things Mattel is producing right now - underscaled and over stylised accessories for stupid prices, when we could have nice realistic accessories as other companies are doing!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Wow ! That´s really Great. The clothes really fit with the seamless bodys and so much stuff like guitarr, bed, cabinet. Ok, for that price they can´t made a high quality HS. But with Your Body / Head Mods the sets looks like fantastic. Collect them All ! I like to see the other sets pimped to Very Happy . Maybe i need a winter sport set.... ok, it´s summer, but winter is comming Wink

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them and thank you for the encouragement. Smile I might pick up some more, but for now I have limited myself to buying up a bunch of loose accessories from their website (including more lockers). The winter sport set is probably worth it, especially if you have missed out on (I forget who made it) the one or two winter sport characters made by higher-end outfits (I remember getting some loose parts here and there).

FreakinLobster wrote:And they have affordable 1/6 vehicles too? Duuuuuude! Holy moly guacamole, Gub. You don't know how happy I am that you shared this awesome finding and the link for the M&C Toy's website. I loved this military kit you got there, I'll try to grab a couple of them too. It's just a lot of goodies for the price. I was also looking for a speargun. Since these costumes fit a M33 body, it's well worth getting some figures just for their uniforms. I just signed up on M&C page. Weird that in their website, this same military kit is priced at 117USD for me (*free shipping written in red). I don't know if this extra pricing IS the shipping cost and this is just a gimmick to look like it's "free". Actually, everything there is way more expensive than at the Costworld store, buuuuut, in my case it's still worth it because the Costworld shipping is obscenely high to my country. I hate you US dwellers. *envy feels intensifies*

You are very welcome, although I'm sorry for the price shock -- this variable pricing must be why you can't see prices unless you are logged in (then they "know" how to price in relation to where you are from). I'm certain that, given the "free" shipping, the price variation is due to the distance and whatever insurance, etc, is involved in mailing there. I also know that China has some sort of special low cost deal (or deals) when it comes to shipping to the States, which may not apply when shipping to Brazil. Have you looked for it on Amazon (I don't know how well that works there, and what effect that would have on the prices). Also, if you are looking primarily for specific loose accessories, it might be considerably cheaper to order them from that website -- the military set is quite large as a box, and I'm sure that does not help the shipping costs. Note that some of the fit is very tight or imperfect (especially the fatigues) -- although that might be helped if you put those on an M31 (the sleeves will still look a bit short, but the overall fit would be better).

Lynkhart wrote:Oh wow, what fantastic sets! This is one of the things that gets me so frustrated with that kind of things Mattel is producing right now - underscaled and over stylised accessories for stupid prices, when we could have nice realistic accessories as other companies are doing!

I'm glad you liked them too. I imagine some of the items and some of the sports sets might come in handy for your collection, too. Some of this reminds me a bit of the Max Steel sets (I guess they don't make these anymore), although there is more realistic stuff here.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like some of the accessories (like the “dumbbells”/weights, guitar, and surfboard; the locker isn’t bad, but could use a repaint. The bunkbed/rack is a bit under scale, but passable. Nice grabs, Ian.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A Viable Low-Cost Source? Click N' Play - updated with Part III, December 2022 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I like some of the accessories (like the “dumbbells”/weights, guitar, and surfboard; the locker isn’t bad, but could use a repaint. The bunkbed/rack is a bit under scale, but passable. Nice grabs, Ian.

Thanks, Mark. Glad you agree. I was also thinking that the locker would benefit from a more metallic paint, but am appreciating its size and appearance otherwise. I think the bunkbed could be a bit taller, to allow the figures to sit more comfortably on the lower level -- then again, the figure I tried to do this with was wearing overly tight clothes that were not helping. In terms of "ready to go" (or is it "to roll"), the dumbbells and the guitar are probably my favorites.

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
I have been using items from Power Team for awhile now, some of the stuff they do is really great, like their Night Vision goggles or the Red Lensed Gas Masks. They also make weapon scopes and such, they do work with weapons of other manufacturers if you need a cheap alternative. I am pretty sure I also got a bunch of their weapons, the handguns they have are not that bad. So yeah, they are a cheap alternative.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
ooooh.... if i ever build a vault section in my fallout diorama, the bunk beds and lockers might just be the thing. thanks for sharing, once i'm diverting my funds back into the 1/6 scale i'll definately keep an eye out for them.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ZeroDelta wrote:I have been using items from Power Team for awhile now, some of the stuff they do is really great, like their Night Vision goggles or the Red Lensed Gas Masks. They also make weapon scopes and such, they do work with weapons of other manufacturers if you need a cheap alternative. I am pretty sure I also got a bunch of their weapons, the handguns they have are not that bad. So yeah, they are a cheap alternative.

Is Power Team another of their lines? These also have the red-lensed gas masks -- I ran across them when I was looking at loose accessories. Much of this is usable.

Tjolnir wrote:ooooh.... if i ever build a vault section in my fallout diorama, the bunk beds and lockers might just be the thing. thanks for sharing, once i'm diverting my funds back into the 1/6 scale i'll definately keep an eye out for them.

I'm glad you liked it. Hope you get to do something fun with it and that we get to see.

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Maybe they changed names but years and years ago, they ran them under the title "Power Team" where they also had the "World´s Peacekeepers" and a line of Police SWAT figures. I think they more civilian outfit sets are a newer addition because I cant recall that they had them back then, but I could be mistaken.

One of the interesting things about those figures and the gear they come with, is the fact that some of their weapons are quite futuristic, like they have a revovler looking thing that seems to be taken from the TV series Fire Fly, made a copy of RoboCops Auto 9 and another of their handguns looks a bit like the Colt SCAMP prototype of PDWs. They also are the one that made an Israeli M21 Tavor Assault Rifle.

They are all one piece molds, but that also means that repainting them isnt much of a problem.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for explaining, ZeroDelta. I think I should have watched this company and its lines more attentively. Years ago I bought one of their UN peacekeepers, but otherwise I think these sets featured in the thread are the first I've gotten from them.

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
Fun fact (at least for you guys): I found this Military Life set at Click 'N Play store on Amazon's site. They ship to my country. The set is 50USD. The shipping cost? 142USD, believe it or not. And that's because I have a Prime account. It's just surreal.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
FreakinLobster wrote:Fun fact (at least for you guys): I found this Military Life set at Click 'N Play store on Amazon's site. They ship to my country. The set is 50USD. The shipping cost? 142USD, believe it or not. And that's because I have a Prime account. It's just surreal.

Whoa! That is not a fun fact! You have Amazon Prime and they charge you shipping at all? And the shipping is three times the cost of the set!? That is a very very unfortunate fact. I'm very sorry to hear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum