OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
I had this figure for quite a while but kept him in the box. Terrible body but a cool figure and accessories. He came with four heads so that is also cool. But like I mentioned the body stunk. Poor articulations & weird looking muscles to say the least. So I decided to see if I could make the TbLeague Egyptian body work as a suitable replacement. I covered his whole body so I didn't have to worry about the red skin. I still have not figures out how to color a Phicen body as good as GubernatorFan. ( I tried bro but not on this body) Anyway, enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to give straight honest answers just in case anyone want to give this a try.

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51205695595_8a2949f3f3_bDSC09981 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51203911747_401f8c47e4_bDSC09982 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51205695570_e1a135655e_bDSC09983 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51203911717_cf5b9ab299_bDSC09984 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51204832993_aa1ce77835_bDSC09985 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51204832973_11038a2aa7_bDSC09986 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

2ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Skippy

He looks really good, and a lot more mobile than the original.

I have two of the ARToys and was impressed by all the genuine leather. The body didn't bother me as I wasn't going to put him into action poses, but the belt was a nuisance as it was far too long.

One thing they seemed to do with all the figures, is assemble the Right Hand of Doom upside down. The small steps should be at the top:

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Ron-Perlman-Hellboy

But then they missed out the single step where it meets the hand.

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 0a61e9314d15a7aaba1352500702f126

When I look at mine I sometimes think his arm looks too short, and wonder whether I should pull it down out of the socket.

3ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 12:36 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Asta wrote:He looks really good, and a lot more mobile than the original.

I have two of the ARToys and was impressed by all the genuine leather. The body didn't bother me as I wasn't going to put him into action poses, but the belt was a nuisance as it was far too long.

One thing they seemed to do with all the figures, is assemble the Right Hand of Doom upside down. The small steps should be at the top:

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Ron-Perlman-Hellboy

But then they missed out the single step where it meets the hand.

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 0a61e9314d15a7aaba1352500702f126

When I look at mine I sometimes think his arm looks too short, and wonder whether I should pull it down out of the socket.

I wonder If I got it wrong? I did seem to fit in that direction,but you pictures clearly shows it the way it should go. I'll futz with is and get back with you buddy. Thanks

4ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 12:50 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Asta: I did try and turn it around. There is a little round curved removable washer that could go at the end of the arm and that would give it the movie accurate look. But the big cylinder part now slides all up the arm when posed because nothing is holding it in place anymore. Plus to make it fit over the Phicen wrist peg, I had to drill it a little deeper and heat it up to fit properly on the arm putting the washer at the top instead on the bottom above the hand. I appreciate your pictures. I never even noticed it. Wish I could make it work. I'll have to settle for "close enough". Oh and mine upgrade skipped the tail too. Thanks again buddy.

5ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Skippy

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:I wonder If I got it wrong? I did seem to fit in that direction,but you pictures clearly shows it the way it should go. I'll futz with is and get back with you buddy. Thanks

Yes, I think it should go the other way, so the little steps slip easily under the coat sleeve.

On the issue I have with the arm length, I just had a look at one of mine and pulled the arm off to see if I could make it longer.

And I was reminded why I never did anything before. The hand dictates the length as it plugs directly into the arm, with the rest being a sleeve.

I thought about plugging an ankle extension (like OSK sells) onto the arm peg, then attaching the hand with a regular ankle peg. Then I'll probably run into a problem with the sleeve not being long enough!

The arm looks so much better on your new body.

EDIT:

You posted while I was typing, and yes I think there is a problem with the way ARToys designed it. It does seem to work better the wrong way round.

When I was messing with my figure just now I managed to somehow pull the hand free of the tube, so that the washer wasn't fully covered. That gives the impression of the missing step.

6ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Skippy

I recently rescued my old Sideshow Hellboy from the attic because I wanted to use the spare coat and shirt from the 2019 Hot Toys Hellboy on him (along with the Numo Workshop sculpt from the ARToys).

...and the curious thing is that Sideshow also had those little steps at the wrist end: ​

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 51159553851_179a928dde_o

That made me curious about  the original Hot Toys so I Googled photos, and they were the only one to do it differently:

ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Hellboyht1

7ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 1:22 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Asta: Nice to know you cam to the same conclusion. I like to be as accurate as possible. That Hot Toys Hellboy II figure looks really cool.But I passes on that one so with regret I got the Arttoys one. Glad I could make him usable for my purposes. I did get the 2019 HT Hellboy and he's cool too. Even though the arms only have a single elbow joint. I hate that. I probably will make the 2019 Hellboy the son of the original. They did end the 2nd Hellboy movie saying Liz was pregnant.

8ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Skippy

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:Asta: Nice to know you cam to the same conclusion. I like to be as accurate as possible.

Yes, there was always something funny about it!

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:That Hot Toys Hellboy II figure looks really cool.But I passes on that one so with regret I got the Arttoys one. Glad I could make him usable for my purposes.

He does still look good. I think he might have released before I was bitten by the Hot Toys bug, so I didn't get him either. Though, looking at reviews, he was a strangely tiny figure for 1/6.

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:I did get the 2019 HT Hellboy and he's cool too. Even though the arms only have a single elbow joint. I hate that. I probably will make the 2019 Hellboy the son of the original. They did end the 2nd Hellboy movie saying Liz was pregnant.  

The 2019 is a giant compared to the original, and so impressive.

I really liked the film, and felt it was truer to the comics than Perlman's Hellboy. There's so much in it that it ended up a bit like a greatest hits compilation, with so many references to different comic stories.

It was because of Hot Toys' warnings about the coat and shirt staining the body that I left them off - plus it was novel for me to have a Hellboy that actually had a body good enough to display without the coat. Hence I gave the old floppy Sideshow a reprieve to showcase the coat and shirt, along with the Numo sculpt which sort of completes the hybrid nature of him.

Your black top is a neat solution to the colour problem, which has always been problematic when trying to upgrade bodies without having to paint a jointed body to match, or dye an expensive seamless body.

One of the main reasons the Sideshow spent so much time in the attic was that he was so skinny and I didn't have an easy way of changing it. However, the 2019 shirt is so bulky it actually beefs him up.

As for the single joint on the 2019, I daren't leave the arms bent on those types of figures - which is a double edged sword as it really takes the action out the action figure.

9ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
What a great looking figure! Thanks for sharing!

10ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He's looking very good, AFM, and one can't tell the body is not the right color. Speaking of which, I don't know if you can get a black body to look properly red with the oil-pastels (though it certainly works on the suntan bodies). I was wondering what you would do for the tail, but as long as you have him with his pants on, that is potentially doable in various ways. I actually liked the ARtoys set (and that is Hellman, thank you very much! Wink ), which came with such a wealth of options and pieces at a considerably lower price than some of the other high end versions. I agree the body was odd, although in most cases it still looked good. Here is my review of the set:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t48-product-review-artoys-hellman

11ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Thu May 27, 2021 11:12 am

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
GubernatorFan: You are a truth proclaimer my friend. I considered adding the tail fine but I kind of want to sell that Arttoys body on eBay and would probably get more if I kept the tail on it. And I can live without the tail on my custom Hellmam.

12ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I think he looks great, the body being black I feel is a bit irrelevant since he is fully clothed. I find the gauntlet issue quite interesting too, there are more than enough reference images as to how the gauntlet should go yet two assembled it the wrong way around, I wonder if it was a problem with mirroring or something along those lines.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM 1f60e

13ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Empty Re: ARttoys Hellboy upgrade by AFM Sun May 30, 2021 1:33 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Theboo-bomb wrote:I think he looks great, the body being black I feel is a bit irrelevant since he is fully clothed. I find the gauntlet issue quite interesting too, there are more than enough reference images as to how the gauntlet should go yet two assembled it the wrong way around, I wonder if it was a problem with mirroring or something along those lines.

All good points. I wonder that too?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum