OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

41INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:25 pm

skywalkersaga

Thanks for sharing, it's looking promising!

42INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:51 am

Diana

It looks great!! Do you have an estimate of how much a head will cost? 
Have you figured out shipping? If the sculptor is in China no doubt it would be cheapest if the sculptor could send them out to each of us directly.
If they are in the US, it might be worth coordinating one shipment for those of us in Europe.

43INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:19 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I'll be making a post in the Classifieds Section (hopefully by the end of the week), with updated pics of the available sculpts (right now there will only be 8 available for sale). The sculptor is not in China, and they themselves are eating the cost of shipping to get them to me. Extra heads can be made, but it will cost me more money to have that done than the several hundred I've already paid, so if there is further interest beyond the initial 8 sculpts, the cost will (hopefully understandably for those not in on the initial Cool inevitably go up. The cost for the initial 8 will be $60 USD + shipping + PayPal fees. Anyone interested should send me a PM with their full name and shipping address, and I will get shipping costs to you as soon as I receive the heads and package them up (please note that international shipping requires a larger box than I would use for shipping domestically -- due to the customs documents, but the light weight should be able to keep costs down as much as is feasible).

44INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Ovy

Wow that's a great (both meanings of great) investment on your part. Thanks for asking about the 3d models. I guess a seamline on a cast won't be that much of a problem, although I might even prefer just a print than a cast because of that. So the arrist models them in program, prints them and makes casts of the (probably primed/sanded/3d printing traces removed) print?

I am undecided, never paid that much for a headsculpt and this one is unpainted. :p

45INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:32 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What do you mean about a seamline, Ovy?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

46INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:What do you mean about a seamline, Ovy?

I thought he will create a two part mold from the 3d print and then there might be a line, like with all heads, but most notably it's on bald ones.

Here a regular head and next to him a lady I printed with no seamline. (Well there can be other artifacts on prints as you know.)
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Psx_2033

All just nitpickery by me, haha. It can be sanded off of course.

47INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:47 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
He removes all traces of a seamline after the castings are made; and I understand your reticence regarding the cost — I wish I could say that I’ve been able to recoup my out of pocket expenditure on past projects, but I’ve never come close to breaking even. One-offs are expensive.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 C8485110

48INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:07 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I have a custom sculpt that I believe (?) was made via a similar method (3d printed and then cast) and it does not have visible seamline.

49INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Classified ad is up with new pics for anyone interested.

50INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
Good looking sculpt.
On the subject of black female, i wonder if Hot Toys will over offer Domino from Deadpool 2 ?
..i somehow doubt it, but you never know with Hot Toys

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

51INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Heads have arrived. (For anyone still interested, I still have 5 available). (This is one of mine.)

INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 _dsc3515
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 _dsc3516
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 _dsc3517
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 _dsc3518

52INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent!

53INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 am

Diana

Diana
Oh she is beautiful!
How would you go about filling in those scratches? Would polymer clay work?
One could of course just leave them and allow them to add to the realism, but I'm not sure they wouldn't bug me after a while...

54INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:47 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Diana wrote:Oh she is beautiful!
One could of course just leave them and allow them to add to the realism, but I'm not sure they wouldn't bug me after a while...

Do you mean the imperfections on the bald part of the head?

For filling in really small areas, I would probably use milliput -- the 'extra fine white' kind. And then sand it down accordingly.

ETA: I'm presuming this headsculpt is resin. You can't use polymer clay directly on top of resin because you can't bake resin in the oven. You have to use an air-drying material, hence why I'd recommend milliput.

55INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 am

Diana

Diana
skywalkersaga wrote:

Do you mean the imperfections on the bald part of the head?

For filling in really small areas, I would probably use milliput -- the 'extra fine white' kind. And then sand it down accordingly.

ETA: I'm presuming this headsculpt is resin. You can't use polymer clay directly on top of resin because you can't bake resin in the oven. You have to use an air-drying material, hence why I'd recommend milliput.
I meant under her eyebrows on the inside, but I guess those might hardly be visible when not zoomed in so much. Smile
Right! I was actually thinking the air drying clay I have is polymer clay, but it may well be more like Milliput. Of course I wasn't going to put her in the oven. Just to clarify. Laughing

56INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh! gotcha. I'll be honest, I didn't even notice that. ;p You might even just be able to sand something like that down.

57INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:21 am

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah looking great! Excited to see how the character you make will look like.  bounce

I also wonder what happened there at the eyes. i don't think it's scars created by support structures as it wouldn't make much sense putting them there, only if printing in a very weird angle.

Also working on a bald 3d printed sculpt (modified free sculpt from turbosquid)  atm and seeing some similarities.

On round objects we always have those conic topograhic circles at the top created by the last few layers. It can be sanded off well. I guess the creator of the Naomi head didn't bother because it's intended to be haired.
(Sanded on the right, 320 grit)
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 PSX-20211124-142144

Then there are those little dot like scars created by support contacts. Ideally there should not be holes but little pimples. The holes appear if the contact points are a bit wider and are ripped off the head rather than carefully snapped with a cutter. (But smoothly ripping the model off the structures is very satisfying)

Upper left - raised contact points, easily sanded off.
Lower left - the structures were too deep or too dense together, so the force when ripping off the structures was too strong and created the holes/craters. But they could be sanded away.
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 PSX-20211124-142252

Another error are those straight visible lines on the model, created by layers not perfectly connecting. It's still a mystery to me although it might have to to something with too low temperature of the resin, as it often appears on the first few layers. I think. I think sanding and primer can make them go away.

They still have to be cleaned because all the tiny healthy resin flakes are on the model, needs some thorough brushing sometimes. Maybe the errors on the eyes of the Naomi head are created by these nasty little flakes in the mold, collecting at the eyes.
INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 PSX-20211124-144259

INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 PSX-20211124-144159

58INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the insight, Ovy. And that's a really neat headsculpt you're working on!

59INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:55 am

Diana

Diana
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the insight, Ovy. And that's a really neat headsculpt you're working on!
I second that! Thank you for the advice, and exciting project you got there! She looks beautiful!

Oh I can't wait to start customizing this. I was initially thinking I might give her an untypical skin color, just to play with the contrast, but then I thought there are too few beautiful black woman sculpts out there. I guess I'll see how the body turns out. Once the color (Rit dye method) has settled, I'll match the sculpt to the body. Smile

60INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very interesting discussion and examples, Ovy (great job, too). Only looking very carefully did I notice some minor imperfections by the eyes. My first choice would be to see if I can't carefully take them off with an X-acto knife. But I also think they would mostly get lost in the paint anyway. For any scratches, filling in with air-drying material like clay or green stuff is probably easy enough.

61INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
As far as any imperfections on resin head sculpts: when I used to do any sort of modeling of 1/8 scale resin models, where you had to assemble different parts of a figure together -- to hide the seams, etc., I used "model putty" (it air dries) and can then be sanded down -- very carefully of course -- but it helps to smooth it out as much as possible before it dries so you don't have to do as much work. Much of the time, I use the backside of an X-acto blade to smooth out sections of the model putty.

62INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:50 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:As far as any imperfections on resin head sculpts: when I used to do any sort of modeling of 1/8 scale resin models, where you had to assemble different parts of a figure together -- to hide the seams, etc., I used "model putty" (it air dries) and can then be sanded down -- very carefully of course -- but it helps to smooth it out as much as possible before it dries so you don't have to do as much work. Much of the time, I use the backside of an X-acto blade to smooth out sections of the model putty.

Thanks for the tip!

63INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:34 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
I will keep an eye on this thread Smile

64INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:18 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just received mine and am very happy with it. Now I have to paint it -- and a body (but which one?). Thanks, Mark!

65INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:36 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looking forward to seeing what you do with her, Ian.

66INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I received mine back from Mus Musculus (aka Eric Alvarez). I think it turned out pretty good. Now I just need to add hair.

INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 _dsc3682

67INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
She looks great! Even without hair. Don't you mean Alvarez?

68INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:She looks great! Even without hair. Don't you mean Alvarez?

D’Oh!

69INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt - Page 3 Empty Re: INTEREST: Black Female head sculpt Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:29 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very nice! Good luck with the hair!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum