OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
HHMODEL x HAOYUTOYS 1/6 Imperial Army Hunting Ground Fighter-Hoplomachus

NO.HH18033
BARCODE:6974202930066
configuration list:
-1/6 simulation head sculpt
-Movable body
-6 replacement hands
clothing:
-Helmet (metal)
-Armor (metal)
-Belt
-Skirt
-Leg armor (metal)
-Shoes
Accessories:
-Spear (metal)
-Knife (metal)
-Shield
-Platform

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 7adcd410
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 44c26310
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 21b1a510
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 7773b510

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 1a3b2c10
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 F547b810
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 2dbc9b10
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 Ac486a10
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 Fe7a9910
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 Fb7a6c10
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 2ac15a10
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 8528a210
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 E9d77710
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 1888ea10

#newproduct #HHModel #HaoyuToys #Gladiator #Hoplomachus #male #AncientRome #historical

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't have time to double-check but something looks a little off to me, and all these have been part fantasy (or movie-) inspired. I like the head sculpt, but overall I'm satisfied with my KP and ACI gladiators. Since these are probably long unavailable, however, it is nice that someone is producing more for collectors who would like to get some.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:I don't have time to double-check but something looks a little off to me, and all these have been part fantasy (or movie-) inspired. I like the head sculpt, but overall I'm satisfied with my KP and ACI gladiators. Since these are probably long unavailable, however, it is nice that someone is producing more for collectors who would like to get some.

Surprisingly this isn't too bad. They're heading in the right direction.

The curved sword is wrong though. It's a sica, which was used by the Thraex (Thracian) class of gladiator.

The pilum is likely a re-use from the Romans and isn't a good replacement for the spear, since it's a single use weapon designed to bend on impact so the enemy couldn't throw it back!

The Hoplomachus, a class inspired by the hoplite soldier, was one which actually wore leg greaves as a pair, and were of the taller variety.

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 349e60867cd9c212d058ea990765e911

KP were the best at producing accurate classes of gladiator, whereas ACI were a case of mix and match, inspired as they were, I think, by the Spartacus TV series.

Here's the Hoplomachus (on the right) that I put together from ACI and KP parts:

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 48385366607_b84258be5d_o

Before that figure (Verus) released it was shown with only one greave, yet the taller variety were always worn as a pair. Brian at ACI promised he would add the second greave to the production figure. He didn't, but he did send me an extra one!

The others there are two Murmillos and a Thraex.

And the rest, a Retiarius, Secutor, Thraex and Provocateur:

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 48385366567_f72db56e6f_o

(I had to sort the Secutor out later, because there wasn't a head under the helmet when that photo was taken).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great bunch of gladiatiors. Is that a Logan-headed gladiator in the back? There is also something about the shape of the helmet that throws me off in the present product, although I cannot guarantee I have seen all helmet variations and that this is not one of them. Since you have contacts in ACI, can you tell us if they are still around and if we are ever going to see their various crusader knights out?

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Great bunch of gladiatiors. Is that a Logan-headed gladiator in the back? There is also something about the shape of the helmet that throws me off in the present product, although I cannot guarantee I have seen all helmet variations and that this is not one of them. Since you have contacts in ACI, can you tell us if they are still around and if we are ever going to see their various crusader knights out?

Thanks.

Yes, that's a Logan sculpt. I think it's from the World Box/One Toys Steel Wolf set, because I upgraded some of the costumes with Eleven's versions.

The helmet is an unusual shape. It's Thracian judging by what looks like a griffon on the crest. A quick Google hasn't thrown up an historical example yet, but it appears in modern artwork and on models.

I'll have to trawl through the photos in Junkelmann's Gladiatoren book.

It's been a long time since I spoke to Brian. I was communicating with him through one of the forums, and then by email, during the period ACI were making gladiators and Romans. Don't know what became of ACI, but when HH/Haoyu came onto the scene I thought they were using their old moulds.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the info, Asta.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the info, Asta.

No problem.

I scanned through the helmet section of the book, and checked Thraex helmets in another. There isn't anything quite like it with that pointed peak, nor one with the brim that comes down so sharply without flaring at the bottom. The HH helmet almost resembles a nineteenth century bonnet.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:No problem. I scanned through the helmet section of the book, and checked Thraex helmets in another. There isn't anything quite like it with that pointed peak, nor one with the brim that comes down so sharply without flaring at the bottom. The HH helmet almost resembles a nineteenth century bonnet.

Thank you for doing the research. I "knew" it was off, just visually. Smile That said, gladiators have never been a special focus of my interest, and I imagine among them there would have been even more variety than among the military.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for doing the research. I "knew" it was off, just visually. Smile That said, gladiators have never been a special focus of my interest, and I imagine among them there would have been even more variety than among the military.

Quite a bit of variety in pattern, but with the same basic shapes, with wide brims to deflect blows.

Hoplomachi would fight the Murmillo or Thraex class, so the helmet would be designed to protect against a sword. With the HH helmet it looks as though the sword could slide off and into the shoulders.

I think I found the source for HH. It's a digital image without any archaeological reference, so likely a modern invention:

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 ELpdeFxXUAA9twx?format=jpg&name=large

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Gladiator - Hoplomachus #HH18033 1*-K25HDWJH1DsONc3DSbVOA

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
But... what about the hairy chest!? Wink

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:But... what about the hairy chest!? Wink

Laughing

shazzdan

shazzdan
I suppose he could pass as a Thracian-type gladiator (Thraex). They sometimes had small round shields instead of the more typical square one. They were usually paired against a Hoplomachus or Murmillo, so if you are looking for a second gladiator, you should get one of these.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum