OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (updated) Comparative Review

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Theboo-bomb

I've seen some of those padding suits on ebay and other stores, always wondered if the padding would intervene with movement, guess you answered that.

I think they could produce an articulated grogu, maybe even a standalone grogu with different faces, hands and floaty pram.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:See, I wasn’t the only one that believed in the Hot Toys Mandalorian Biker Scout! Has Hoy Toys made a fully articulated Baby Yoda?  If so, they could probably make a Grogu as well. Just kidding.  If they can make a fully articulated Rocket (I’m assuming he’s fully articulated, I don’t actually have one), then I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same for Grogu.

Yes, he works very well once you remove the padding. Like I've mentioned, I do that often enough -- or also don't put it on if I am "reconstituting" (kitbashing from lose parts) the figure. Rocket is fully articulated. I saw a Grogu from this set (or its deluxe version, rather) parted out, and it is a little shorter than the 1:12 Hasbro Yoda -- standing about 6.5 cm, as opposed to 8 cm. But that is not a substantial enough difference to preclude proper articulation -- and I wouldn't be surprised (have to dig it out and check) if Hasbro's 1:18 Yoda (for the "classic" 3.75-inch figure line) is not better articulated than Hot Toys' 1:6 one. Sideshow made a very good 1:6 Yoda.

Theboo-bomb wrote:I've seen some of those padding suits on ebay and other stores, always wondered if the padding would intervene with movement, guess you answered that. I think they could produce an articulated grogu, maybe even a standalone grogu with different faces, hands and floaty pram.

Yes indeed. It is a remarkable improvement without the padding. Nor does the look seem to suffer in any easily detectable way. They have been treating Grogu as an accessory, pushing up the prices of other sets (maybe deluxe versions), while not investing enough in Grogu's development. Given how much is hidden under his robe, it should be easy to give him good articulation (they did this with the Jawa and even, to a lesser degree because of the body type, the Ewok). A standalone Grogu better be a work of art. Although I'm sure at least some collectors will resent having spent good money on Grogu accessories if they have to end up getting a new functional one. Then again, they will be probably crazy enough for Grogu in the first place. Smile I don't care personally, but it's the principle of the thing.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Xavion2004

What is the purpose of the padding if it’s such a hindrance to articulation?   I wonder if my HT Winter Soldier Black Widow has it?

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Oops, that nice Sideshow Yoda turned out to be a nice Hot Toys Yoda instead. I had forgotten him when I did the action figure height thread, and I had forgotten him yet again -- but now I had to double check.

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (updated) Comparative Review - Page 2 Htstm113

He is fully articulated (well, the head and neck are one piece; there is a second, closed-eye head sculpt), and stands 13.5 cm (5.3 in). And I'm sure there were probably nice (or at least nice for their time) Sideshow Yodas, too.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
“Hmmmm….bad driver you are. Use the Force to guide speeder bike you must.”

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:What is the purpose of the padding if it’s such a hindrance to articulation?   I wonder if my HT Winter Soldier Black Widow has it?

I imagine they feel that the padding would improve the overall look (bulk) of the figure, as they use relatively skeletal hard plastic open-jointed bodies; it would also obscure the joints and edges that might show a little under the clothing. All that is true, but for the most part the difference is too minor to be detectable, making the padding both unnecessary and intrusive/obstructional.

Xavion2004 wrote:“Hmmmm….bad driver you are.  Use the Force to guide speeder bike you must.”

Good one. Of course, this one is now so adept in the force that he is bound to be a good driver already. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I came across this review (website and video) of the Sideshow Scout Trooper that might also be useful:
https://electrifiedporcupine.com/2017/05/16/star-wars-scout-trooper-16th-scale-figure-by-sideshow-collectibles-review/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum