OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doodlehobby

Yeah, I know what you're all thinking... why is a 1/18 scale mecha review not being put into the non-scale forum? Well, truth is, I'm reviewing this more as a 1/6 scale robot figure and not 1/18. For starters, this scales very well and fills a niche that I feel is severely lacking in the 1/6 world. I love robots/mecha and couldn't resist getting this the moment I saw it.

Update: Legion Fear IV Long-range Sniper mecha

Packaging:
It came in a shipping box (which was a good thing)
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621852_d0e04eaf06_hShipper by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Out of the shipping box you get a flimsy box (but the contents inside were thick foam slabs)
The front has nice artwork of the mech
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378621773_367216c382_hBox Front by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The sides of the box has lineart of the mech
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621767_639102e94a_hBox Side1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378386591_bce1e708fa_hBox Side2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The back of the box has the promo pics of the mech and blah blah blah wording...
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621832_11d4496340_hBox Back by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Oh... and this box is HUGE. No kidding. Here's a comparison shot with two 1/6 scale figures.
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621712_420d5a33fa_hBox Size by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

But now let's get to the juicy part... the mech itself... Ok not yet, it's coming soon.

Assembly: WARNING this is NOT for novice collectors who have no patience and need instructions to put things together. The instructions provided with this is a simple one sided sheet that doesn't really explain anything. It's vague and pretty much useless. Of course, for 1/6 collectors, customizers and/or model builders, this shouldn't really be an issue. I'm pretty sure we all had figures we had to figure out where parts and accessories go.

Sorry no out of box pics, this review came as an afterthought. And I'm not going to strip the soft goods and armor off this thing as it took a grueling 2-3 days to set it up. Yeah, no joke, this took a lot of time and patience to put everything together. I had to rework the strands and buckles in most areas. I also took off all the soft goods on it prior to putting on the armor parts. Again, it didn't help that the instructions were useless and not helpful one bit.

The armor is not fully secured onto the frame of the mech. The armor on the hips and shoulders are a little loose even after adjusting the buckles and straps on them. I wish they had used some sort of clip/tab/peg to secure the armor more on to the frame. As it is, I can see how this can frustrate and annoy collectors. Unfortunately, if the armor is not secured properly, it can be quite fiddly to deal with. It should also be noted that if you just assemble it directly without making any adjustments, you get strands hanging around all over the place on top of it being very fiddly. It's look will also be messy and horrendous. Nothing like what they show on the promo pics.

But aside from all that. After spending grueling days of assembling all the pieces together... it is just plain awesome! A sight to behold and I love it. LOL

Final product with 1/6 scale figures:
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378386551_39a68b87cb_hPose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378621833_27f4ae8ed9_hPose 6 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378386676_d9230df1af_hPose 7 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

As you can see, this mech scales very well with 1/6. It's also painted with weathering effects applied. Even the pouches have weathering on it. The attention to detail on this thing is simply amazing. I think Joy Toy deliberately did this to appeal to 1/6 collectors in general. It doesn't include a pilot figure (something a 1/6 collector wouldn't care for and keeps the cost down) and who heard of a giant mech carrying soft goods like a soldier? Seems pretty ludicrous in that regard. It's got presence and something my gang of femme fatale wouldn't dare tackle directly on their own. Well, maybe with the exception of Alita. LOL

Articulation: it has a really good range of motion. Balance is not good though as it is generally top and back heavy. Despite that, if balanced correctly, can strike some really cool poses. A word of caution though, it does need some careful manipulation as you are dealing with soft goods and armor pieces that are not secured tightly in place. Depending on how the armor was strapped on, it can easily be dislodged if working with the figure. The pistons on this figure can also easily pop off (but can be easily be popped back in again).

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51379127694_5154fbf4e7_hPose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

But interestingly enough, it's got articulated fingers. Cool. Very Happy
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51379127709_55a8968241_hPose 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621952_bd877dbed9_hPose 4 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51378386711_dc482af870_hPose 5 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

And before going, here's a final pic with their Freeman 1/18 scale mech. I think it scales well too. Maybe as a worker bot or something. Wink
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51377621867_3790800dbf_hPose 8 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Final note: Joy Toy currently has 5 different models of the Fear mech. They released three to date. The fourth is supposed to come out this month (which I PO'd). I missed out on the first one which looks more like a 1/6 military bot. The third and fifth one I'll skip as it doesn't really appeal to me as much as the second and fourth one. I'll probably hunt down the first one later when I have the funds.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I see what you mean. It really does scale very well with sixth-scale figures -- and so does the shorter one too. Very nice set. Thank you for the review and photos.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is awesome! I want one of these now. Sadly, my lack of patience, and the lack of decent instructions means… NO.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) C8485110

henchman21

henchman21
Very cool mech😁

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
I think I saw that one on ebay as well as some other big 1/18 mechs and I do think I may get one because they make nice Combat Bots

doodlehobby

GubernatorFan wrote:I see what you mean. It really does scale very well with sixth-scale figures -- and so does the shorter one too. Very nice set. Thank you for the review and photos.
Funny how I have to resort to another scale to get what I want in 1/6 LOL

Stryker2011 wrote:This is awesome! I want one of these now. Sadly, my lack of patience, and the lack of decent instructions means… NO.
It really is awesome and I love it a lot. But, yeah, it's a total PITA to get all the parts on it. I can see this becoming frustrating to some.

henchman21 wrote:Very cool mech😁
Agreed. Very Happy

ZeroDelta wrote:I think I saw that one on ebay as well as some other big 1/18 mechs and I do think I may get one because they make nice Combat Bots
The Legion Fear mechs make for some very nice combat bots. Definitely blends nicely with 1/6. Smile

Allotropos

Allotropos
doodlehobby wrote:Yeah, I know what you're all thinking... why is a 1/18 scale mecha review not being put into the non-scale forum? Well, truth is, I'm reviewing this more as a 1/6 scale robot figure and not 1/18. For starters, this scales very well and fills a niche that I feel is severely lacking in the 1/6 world. I love robots/mecha and couldn't resist getting this the moment I saw it.

Dude that is awesome.
I have the same one coming my way too so thank you for sharing the height comparison - he's going to fit right in with my other 1/6 scale dollies.
I plan to slap a bit of paint on this fella and change things up a bit.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Those are really cool! and they work so well within the 1/6 scale figures. They make great heavy support for your troopers.

doodlehobby

Allotropos wrote:Dude that is awesome.
I have the same one coming my way too so thank you for sharing the height comparison - he's going to fit right in with my other 1/6 scale dollies.
I plan to slap a bit of paint on this fella and change things up a bit.
Glad to hear. As long as you're patient with this thing, you'll be fine. I think the armor parts were the hardest and most fiddly to put on. The soft goods not as bad as it's all attached via Velcro. So this can allow the user to customize the look more.

BAMComix wrote:Those are really cool! and they work so well within the 1/6 scale figures. They make great heavy support for your troopers.
LOL That they do and I just PO'd for their 1/24 Steel Bone mech. It'll be about the same size as the blue mech. So it'll be interesting to see how well it'll blend with 1/6.

I think I just jumped into another rabbit hole!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Oh that's cool, I'll have to look into this figure and the other one and see if I can find one. I've been looking for some cool robot figures for a while now.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 1f60e

doodlehobby

Theboo-bomb wrote:Oh that's cool, I'll have to look into this figure and the other one and see if I can find one. I've been looking for some cool robot figures for a while now.
The company is JoyToy and they make 1/24 and 1/18 mechs. They do have some very nice designs.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very cool. Some of the Joytoy mechs come with 1/18th scale figures that sit inside. I'm thinking of getting a couple for my son for Christmas.

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) H2c2caac0486146f4b9327e9188569acdA

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) H5825d707654d4f5ba07c338e3fb5866e1

Allotropos

Allotropos
I am super impressed!
Build quality was way better than I expected and like doodle said - fits right in with 1/6 scale figures.
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) SkwX2AD
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) GtOgHbC

Articulation is so good, I can actually get a great crouching position even with the bulky armour.
I was worried at first about how restricted he would become with the armour pieces on, but futzing was minimal.
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 5IdJWbZ
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) Fmchnq2
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) OgrnwK5

Now that I have him in hand, I'm not sure if I want to paint him up since he looks good as is.

doodlehobby

Allotropos wrote:I am super impressed!
Build quality was way better than I expected and like doodle said - fits right in with 1/6 scale figures.

Articulation is so good, I can actually get a great crouching position even with the bulky armour.
I was worried at first about how restricted he would become with the armour pieces on, but futzing was minimal.

Now that I have him in hand, I'm not sure if I want to paint him up since he looks good as is.
Awesome shots. Very Happy

This thing is indeed great. I just got shipping notice for the Fear IV Sniper. Super excited for this one too. Should pair well with this one. I might have to track down the Fear I Assault mech now.. . Lol

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, they look excellent.

16Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) Empty Legion Fear IV Long-Range Sniper Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:08 pm

doodlehobby

Finally got a chance to put this guy together. Same great articulation as the Fear II (considering they all use the same base frame). Assembly time is faster this time around as everything is basically secured by velcro. Also discovered that the frame can be disassembled to make things easier to put on. The only thing that proved a challenge was the 2 piece ghillie cloak. I found it a challenge to get it on and look good due to the broad frame of the mech and how the 2 pieces clip on.

Here's the base frame of the Legion Fear mech (only differences between the Fear mechs are the head and armor pieces):
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396750_58c11cf3f4_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396710_c2d05af8cc_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490468926_0c178e57f0_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491177634_cbc8c63e8e_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton 4 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Disassembled (most of it came off quite easily... only the ball jointed upper torso took a bit of work to get off)
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51489678562_7d578dc60d_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton Disassembled by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Some base frame posing (and yes, it can manage to balance on one foot):
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491177719_6536c32851_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton Pose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490468871_32f0fbb307_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton Pose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396610_693fcc0501_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton Pose 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490686688_5553b80b6f_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Base Skeleton Oops by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Ghillie cloak and armor attached:
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396585_b35eb8544d_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Ghillie Cover 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490686523_99c52e7be9_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Ghillie Cover 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490468851_e518c9db05_bLegion Fear IV Sniper Fully Suited by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490468811_6bac7f6d39_bLegion Fear II Strike and IV Sniper Base Skeleton by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51489678757_d1761c0929_bLegion Fear II Strike and IV Sniper by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

I redid the look of Fear II and removed most of the buckles and strands. I also transferred some of the excess baggage to the Fear IV.
Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51489678727_f87eb4114a_bLegion Fear II Strike New Look 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490686833_715226c99b_bLegion Fear II Strike New Look 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491177909_8c63207fe2_bLegion Fear II Strike New Look 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396545_13fbe3b7aa_bLegion Fear II Strike New Look 5 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51490469031_287ec0a13d_bLegion Fear II Strike New Look 6 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491177829_5128af0ccd_bLegion Fear II Strike Pose 9 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

BAMComix

BAMComix
Those robots are so cool! and perfect for something like 1/6 scale space explorers/pirates or just plain enemies! I like how you added the bags to carry their ammo?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another really great grab, and they both look fantastic together. The engineering behind these things is really impressive, and the ability to get it to balance on one leg — just WOW!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, well found, built, and deployed.

ZombieKev

Most of the FEAR mechs work way better for 1/6 than than their intended 1/18. The way the pouches are scaled really make them seem like 1/6.

shazzdan

shazzdan
The base frame looks pretty good even without anything strapped to it. I can think of plenty of uses just for this. Is there any way to buy it by itself?

Review: JoyToy Mecha Types (1/18 scales well with 1/6) 51491396750_58c11cf3f4_b

doodlehobby

BAMComix wrote:Those robots are so cool! and perfect for something like 1/6 scale space explorers/pirates or just plain enemies! I like how you added the bags to carry their ammo?
The Fear IV came with 3 satchels (attached under the chest piece/armor) with a magazine inside each one. However, the Fear II didn't come with any extra magazines. It did include a bunch of satchels, though, which was easy to transfer to the Fear IV (since it uses Velcro to attach).

Stryker2011 wrote:Another really great grab, and they both look fantastic together. The engineering behind these things is really impressive, and the ability to get it to balance on one leg — just WOW!

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree, well found, built, and deployed.
Thanks. It's also great to mess with on the desk. LOL

ZombieKev wrote:Most of the FEAR mechs work way better for 1/6 than than their intended 1/18.  The way the pouches are scaled really make them seem like 1/6.
Agreed. I think JoyToy was trying to appeal to the 1/6 collectors when they made this line. It makes little sense to have these huge satchels on a 1/18 mech. Or even have a ghillie suit for that matter.

shazzdan wrote:The base frame looks pretty good even without anything strapped to it. I can think of plenty of uses just for this. Is there any way to buy it by itself?
Not that I'm aware of. JoyToy has only released these mechs as a set. Only way to acquire the base frame on its own would be if someone parts it out from the set like in the 1/6 hobby.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum