OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moldable thermoplastic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Moldable thermoplastic Empty Moldable thermoplastic Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:56 pm

csyeung

csyeung
Ok, so I'm still learning to use this product, but thought I'd document some of my experimentation here. A friend of mine introduced me to this product as she was using it to make a better neck adapter for one of her figures. Sometimes you're not sure which one to get or if it will work properly or if you'd have to dremmel it out cause the head sits too high, etc.

Anyway, here is a picture of the product I got, there are different brands and a bag like this was like 20 bucks i think? Should last a while for 1/6 usage. A pinch of maybe 20 beads was enough for this tiny project i did. (im not sure how much i used cause i definitely used more than i needed)

Moldable thermoplastic Dsc02318
Moldable thermoplastic Dsc02317

So here I have a 25b, and as you know the neck peg is smaller than most standard neck adapters. So what I did was grab some hot water, and I apologize, I really should have taken more photos, but wasn't sure if it'd work. Dump them into a bowl of BOILING HOT WATER. Now you can use hot tap water or a hair dryer, but I found it works faster/better with boiling water. What you want to see is the white beads turn TRANSPARENT. At this point use something to fish them out like a toothpick or modeling stick. The plastic will tend to clump together. At this stage, it is a bit sticky. I found out it sticks to the plastic used for the head sculpt so be careful.

At this point, I'd suggest to clump it together and make a ball or whatever and let it cool down in your hands. After a while it will turn opaque/cloudy white. You want to start working your shape at this point. It will become less tacky but also moldable. As it cools down it becomes more so.

Oh no, I made a mistake! Well, fear not, dip that thermoplastic back into hot water and it will start going transparent again! You can reshape it. It's very forgiving.

Oh no, I didn't use enough! Well, fear not, dip that thermoplastic back into hot water as well as some more beads. You can add it on and it will stick together!

Anyway, once you have a nice fit, let it cool down and it becomes hard plastic!

Moldable thermoplastic Dsc02316

I mean there are other methods too, but there are other things i may try, like wrist pegs, and if I'm adventurous shoes, hands, ankle extender. Oh I think I'll do ankle extenders for my cap marvel for some more articulation. Anyway, just me experimenting and sharing my outcome.

2Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 am

Diana

Diana
Very nice! This sure looks like a good solution to many problems! Thank you for trying and reporting! Smile

3Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:55 am

Seven Pillars

Seven Pillars
I bought a pack some weeks ago to make hands but haven't tried yet. Will be keeping an eye on this thread. Have you thought of adding colour at the melting stage e.g. food colouring/dye or are you planning to paint it after you've finished shaping instead?

4Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:31 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I have just discovered this material myself via a tutorial I was watching on youtube, but I hadn't tried it yet. It definitely seems to have some handy uses.

Apparently it's not able to be painted, however, so if you want to colour it you have to add pigment to it prior to it hardening.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

5Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am

csyeung

csyeung
So far I've only made this adapter and used some to wrap around my charging cord for my phone. You know, where it usually starts splitting by the usb cord due to use. I also used some to make the base of my desk lamp where it slots into the swivel cause the old plastic plug cracked and disintegrated. So there are also other household uses

USB cord
Moldable thermoplastic Dsc02319

lamp stand

Moldable thermoplastic Dsc02320

I'm not sure if it can be painted, there is some gloss to it. Since it's just the neck peg, I'm not painting it, the head sculpt I have fits nicely on top. This was just the connection between the body and head so it's snug and the head doesn't fall off.

6Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:16 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, yes, sorry -- I was saying 'you' as in the more general 'you'. :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Moldable thermoplastic Empty Re: Moldable thermoplastic Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:18 am

csyeung

csyeung
Hehe, no worries, I was more replying to Seven Pillars =D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum