OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 25]

shovelchop81

peter the painter wrote:That painstaking work on Balin's robe is really paying off, he's coming together very nicely, looking forward to your next update, I do like LOTR, I have the Jackson movies, the extended ones, I read the books when I was 17, even drew some character illustrations  from them, before there were any commercial ones around.

Cheers,

Peter.

OOPS! Sorry Peter, must have been thinking of another member that follows my threads LOL! I did the same with pen and ink wash drawings, I even had an illustration commissioned of 'Gandalf vs. The Balrog' for a Greek translation of LOTR, got a framed copy of it in my bedroom, crazy ex-girlfriend burnt the original, or rather the crazy guy who had kidnapped her and her kids then set her house on fire...was in the papers years back..I lived a nuttier life back then! Wink That wasn't my fault though!Crying or Very sad Ah well back to safer thoughts like gluing stuff! Laughing

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

Thank you very much.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

dadrab

shovelchop81 wrote:...understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics ...

I use that same kind of mindset when working on my old cars, i.e. "How the hell must they have done that on an assembly line?"

Sometimes it works and I can visualize a clear path. Other times...well...not so much. Very Happy

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

Thank you very much.

You're welcome! Wink

dadrab wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:...understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics ...

I use that same kind of mindset when working on my old cars, i.e. "How the hell must they have done that on an assembly line?"

Sometimes it works and I can visualize a clear path. Other times...well...not so much. Very Happy

Transmission boxes...not fun!! Especially trying to mate after market gear sets to after market boxes and bearings! The tolerance differences on custom Harley builds can be a nightmare needing machine work. And then the customer asks why it cost so much since he ordered the cheapest parts!Rolling Eyes

Talking of time consuming fiddly stuff... just finished all the boarder work!cheers I had to literally measure the backing material (black with red stitches) to the closest mm for each piece as there was virtually none left over when I'd finished, I had to to glue together little pieces on the back just to get enough to complete the look there. I'll go over any glue with black ink etc.. I had hoped I could clear coat the printed embroidery parts with acrylic but it ruins the print as shown below in one of the pics, the one on the right being the clear coated one and on the left untouched; a shame as I know this ink fades badly over time😢 . I'll do something about the white showing boarder edges/connections, probably using coloured pencils.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 SuvyruA

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 ARgxY2Z

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 YgtS1bk

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 XqyARre

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Uin7gQ4

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 XSR6mcB

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 A9eYS8q

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U5PinkO

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Oj9J6JE

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Uzhs3NH

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Im1eBeN

peter the painter

Looking great, very clever stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
peter the painter wrote:Looking great, very clever stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Since the ink's already fading just from handling it I'm treating it like a tattoo alcohol rub transfer pattern and going over it with multiple media and colours to preserve the patterns and hopefully end up with a more movie accurate colouration than the printer gave me in the first place. It won't look as pretty close up but on display it should read as Balin's robes better than before. I completed the collar as it was missing bits on the sides and have a plan for his pixie boots.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 XBfoAGe

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 NATYslR

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 YaQQeWa

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 KlaBbkJ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 IbBGbck

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 BgsoSgA

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LMZ5rde

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 CaDjCNF

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 4lrC8At

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 8eZCXrr

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LE9PoJB

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow. That is looking good. All the little puzzle piece seams are barely noticeable. Nicely done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 C8485110

dadrab

dadrab
Yes, indeed...

Love the top stitching - and everything else.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow. That is looking good. All the little puzzle piece seams are barely noticeable. Nicely done.

dadrab wrote:Yes, indeed...

Love the top stitching - and everything else.

Well that was the idea at first, then I noticed how the ink was fading so decided to save the pattern while I still could. Conveniently the stitching was already in the material used I just had to cut it and apply it where it was needed. Finished the pattern, looks good on display just don't judge it under a microscope! Wink
Made his gauntlets, started his boots and belt too.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 8vN0tNh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 RN6Htqv

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U4oxIts

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U03S0Ui

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 TdEYkRs

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LuY5cZZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 EdbYQ9d

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 PXm12eX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 WCqlyVi

peter the painter

Looks really impressive.

Cheers,

Peter.

MerylAkiba

It's cool how it all comes together.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
MerylAkiba wrote:It's cool how it all comes together.

Cheers! A lot of time consuming and repetitive work needed on this build so not very exciting for those following the build but I'm trying to get him right.

Those pens turned up, not sure about the gold yet but the white was a huge surprise! Works really well, I'm still baffled just how it works scratch . It's almost like the bleach and ink techniques I used way back in paintings but doesn't smell of bleach or anything like ammonia etc.. it works on glossy sealed card with a dark background but doesn't seem to be paint or one of those Tipex pens (whiteout/liquid paper etc..) that we all used back in the day before word-processors, laptops were the norm. Anyway..this meant I did the patterns all over again! Finished now, surprised I'm not seeing the bloody patterns in my sleep!
More patterns to do though...he has diamond quilting patterns on his main robe so I'm using foam sandwiched between the outer red and an inner black material (first time I've done this so quickly learnt you do need both materials or the thread just rips through the foam DOH). This is of course a lot of sewing so will take time even though it's a simplified version of the actual 1:1 pattern that has non aligned diamond shapes that contain spiderweb like details. I'll also have to do the vertical lines on the robe's forearms the same way (which is actually over the diamond patterns on the 1:1 version but sod that! I'm not a complete masochist). I've done the back of his collar differently as the official one looks way too much like sailor's uniform which is about as un-Dwarf like as you can get! Plus I think the polygonal shape looks much better and in keeping with Dwarven design IMO.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 S3kwCOn

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 UKgIRg8

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 NWpkVTV

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 1cdpo7N

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 KObRF0g

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 H5OeAHL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 PjyvlQZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 YAMa0On

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 HjLy2Qg

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 ALmbSci

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 J8IgtLP

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 N8mNGDZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 RDhThUG

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 VeojoPz

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Ss4hrz0

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 TyOQUC1

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 S22CZLl

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U99PM5x

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LGtnGpZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U9KZrhw

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LCcoqDc

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 RJFVK3w

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 6h5T1aJ

I See Asmus Is Releasing Thorin... Interesting...Might leave him till last..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 3dJLNyM

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 Xb0kMff

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 860iXgp

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 GJ1u4pq

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
He looks ace!

Sorry I've been off air for a bit. The hub packed in and I had no internet access. Dad rang BT and they thought it was the ADSL filter. They sent a new one yesterday, I plugged it in, but to no avail. I rang them and they then said it was the hub that was dead and they sent a new one today. It all works! Hooray!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
peter the painter wrote:Looks really impressive.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Rogerbee wrote:He looks ace!

Sorry I've been off air for a bit. The hub packed in and I had no internet access. Dad rang BT and they thought it was the ADSL filter. They sent a new one yesterday, I plugged it in, but to no avail. I rang them and they then said it was the hub that was dead and they sent a new one today. It all works! Hooray!

CHEERS!

Virgin replaced mine a few weeks back when I thought windows 10 was not installing properly, turned out the hub was on the blink, got bloody confusing between that and all the reinstalls, boot CD fixes, Win 7 reinstall and a USB with Win 10 that the F12 and F2 menus couldn't find!

Done one front panel of his robe, a day's worth of sewing! Bloody black ink's rubbed off the pattern on that side so I'm going to redo it then seal it with clear and just hope it doesn't run/smudge!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 QWjthwZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 HyqDh6v

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 GtmX6Na

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
It's frustrating when you don't have the internet after having taken it for granted. That said, my first thought when I woke up this morning wasn't that I needed to surf, which it had been previously.

That robe looks ace!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Thanks Roger! Well at least you can leave the house and go to the pub without your adrenaline going nuts! Wink Crying or Very sad

Done half of the second panel, seems to look wonky due to the foam pushing back but also seems to straighten out when I do the stitching for the other lines that bisect the first ones making the diamond pattern.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 U6Nd8AM

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LDnr6Z9

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Holy cow, that's a lot of work, SC. Looking great, though, with that extra thread lines to make the quilted pattern. You are a work-horse, my friend.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You continue to amaze me, although by now I am well-used to your talents (or should be). Keep up the great work.

Ovy

Ovy
That project is Nobel Prize material! (Is there a 1/6 scale Nobel Prize Medal?)

Very inspiring how you master challenge after challenge.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nicely done!

Pub!? LOL, I've been teetotal since 2003 so that's unlikely!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Holy cow, that's a lot of work, SC. Looking great, though, with that extra thread lines to make the quilted pattern. You are a work-horse, my friend.

Cheers! Really hoping the next one is asymmetrical!! Very Happy

GubernatorFan wrote:You continue to amaze me, although by now I am well-used to your talents (or should be). Keep up the great work.

Thanks GF! I just make it up as I go along as usual! Wink

Ovy wrote:That project is Nobel Prize material! (Is there a 1/6 scale Nobel Prize Medal?)

Very inspiring how you master challenge after challenge.

Thank you and welcome aboard Ovy! That's such a nice thing to hear after all the crap I get for my sword and gun collection on FB! Laughing

Rogerbee wrote:Nicely done!

Pub!? LOL, I've been teetotal since 2003 so that's unlikely!

CHEERS!

Thanks! Cafe then? Wink

Finished the diamond pattern at last. Got the sleeves next, might have to undo a bunch of work to get in there though...

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 MUryGzn

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 THfeKFh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 LibnnuL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 7 6QcV1ha

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Those last photos have come a really long way from where you started.

Allotropos

Allotropos
That coat came out super AMAZING ShovelChop !!
Freaking mad skills !!

peter the painter

Amazing! Balins coat is a work of art in itself.

Cheers,

Peter.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Turned out pretty cool. I like his belt too. Great job.

dadrab

dadrab
What a coat. Got to agree with Peter on that...it's a stand-alone masterpiece.

So well done, Sir Chop.

Ovy

Ovy
He needs a bell and a nice Santa head. And some elves to push around. Very Happy

That diamond pattern is just perfect.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
He is outstanding!

I don't drink tea or coffee either! A smoothie might cut it, LOL!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Those last photos have come a really long way from where you started.

LOL, I hope so or I've wasted a lot of time, ink and thread! Or do you mean the actual photos are better? In that case it would just be luck!  Wink

Allotropos wrote:That coat came out super AMAZING ShovelChop !!
Freaking mad skills !!

Thank you! Still got a lot to do...

peter the painter wrote:Amazing! Balins coat is a work of art in itself.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks to the costume designers at Wetta Studios it is indeed a super intricate masterpiece of tailoring and embroidery which is making it bloody hard for me!  Laughing

Stryker2011 wrote:Turned out pretty cool. I like his belt too. Great job.

Cheers for noticing! That too needs more intricate detail work, even has some triangular stirrup brass pieces and I have no idea what they are for! I would normally think they were for hanging throwing axes but he doesn't have any weird..  scratch

dadrab wrote:What a coat. Got to agree with Peter on that...it's a stand-alone masterpiece.

So well done, Sir Chop.

Thank you dadrab, not done yet though.

Ovy wrote:He needs a bell and a nice Santa head. And some elves to push around. Very Happy

That diamond pattern is just perfect.

Yeah they definitely gave him a Scandinavian Santa/Gnome look he even has pixie boots! Thanks for appreciating the diamond stitching.

Rogerbee wrote:He is outstanding!

I don't drink tea or coffee either! A smoothie might cut it, LOL!

CHEERS!

Well he's standing which is something...although his body hasn't completely escaped the chop shop yet, he still needs swivel thighs and a swivel elbow.

Got sod all done today figure wise, been very much a gun day up to my ears in electronic paper work ordering a new gas sniper and a Kriss Vector I found second hand.. cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum