OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dreams of Verlauni

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dreams of Verlauni Empty Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:48 am

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I've mentioned bringing back a reincarnated version of an older character of mine, Kaelani, and also wanting to add a 'healer'-type mage character to the party. So here is the introduction of Kaelani's mortal daughter.

Somewhere in the dream realm, a special meeting was about to take place.

Dreams of Verlauni 16478310
Dreams of Verlauni 16478311
Dreams of Verlauni 16478312
Dreams of Verlauni 16478313
Dreams of Verlauni 16478314

CADE: Huh? What is this place...? And who are you?

Dreams of Verlauni 16478315
MYSTERIOUS WOMAN: Hello Cade, my name is Verlauni. You may not remember, but we met once before a long time ago when we were kids. Your parents were friends with my mother.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478316
CADE: I thought you looked kinda familiar...
VERLAUNI: Do not be disheartened, but you are in a coma right now; I'm communicating with you through a form of Dream Telepathy.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478317
CADE: W-what? No, that can't be right. I was only moderately injured...wasn't I?
VERLAUNI: The monster who attacked you, 'Gheizt' - he infected your wounds with a type of dark magic that intensified the injuries, and they are slowly getting worse over time. I constructed this scene as a way to comfort your conscience while I help you to heal; places from your memories where you have found peace or serenity in the past.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478410
Dreams of Verlauni 16478411
Dreams of Verlauni 16478412
CADE: Damn, I guess it must be true... That back wall looks like the walls of my childhood nursery. And this was my dad's old ride. It changed so much over the years; you know, it used to be a lot more colorful. My mom talked him into painting it. The stories they used to tell me about how they first met...hehe...
Dreams of Verlauni 16478510
VERLAUNI: Your father has told me stories about you, too, and your bravery. But also of how you allow your emotions to get the best of you, making you unfocused...limiting your potential.
CADE: ...

Dreams of Verlauni 16478413
VERLAUNI: I see you follow the ways of the Brighthand Crest of magic. Powerful offensive magic indeed, but when faced with an opponent equally as powerful, it's important to learn a balanced defensive technique as well.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478414
Dreams of Verlauni Faceap56
CADE: I guess you're right. I fought Gheizt with everything I had, but it still wasn't enough. He's too damn strong...
Dreams of Verlauni 16478415
VERLAUNI: I can teach you, but I need you to open up to me completely, and trust my guidan -
Dreams of Verlauni 16478416
Dreams of Verlauni 16478511
CADE: AGHH! What the hell?!
VERLAUNI: CADE! He is not real; do not allow his presence within your subconscious to break your will of concentration.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478512
Dreams of Verlauni 16478513
VERLAUNI: Do not focus on the past that is blocked off and cannot be changed, or remain stagnant in the present.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478514
Dreams of Verlauni 16478515
VERLAUNI: Look beyond the horizon and recognize unlimited possibility. Reach out and focus only on that - pull it toward you.
Dreams of Verlauni 16478517
Dreams of Verlauni 16478518
Dreams of Verlauni 16478519
Dreams of Verlauni 16478520
CADE: Whoa...
Dreams of Verlauni 16478521
VERLAUNI: You've taken the first step to healing, though it will still be a while longer before you are fully recovered and can awaken. You have to fight off the remaining dark energy eating away at your body and spirit, like splinters in a vast and seemingly endless sea. But I promise you there is an endpoint, and you won't be alone - we will find it together. Take my hand, Cade...

2Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:56 am

Chip

The figures are a bit above me , but as said before they are very artistic , I love the dio and props too , the Cattle skull is awesome . I enjoyed viewing all the pics .

3Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:00 am

Diana

Diana
Ooooh! I got the chills! That was beautiful, thank you! And I love that dio! Very Happy

FYI, the first 6 images as well as number 8 and 10 are not displayed here (the links did work though). Are they bigger than the rest maybe?

4Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 am

davidd

davidd
I'm curious - do you write out the story first, and then take the photos? Or do you start taking photos and let a story emerge during the photography process?

5Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:48 am

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Chip wrote:The figures are a bit above me , but as said before they are very artistic , I love the dio and props too , the Cattle skull is awesome . I enjoyed viewing all the pics .

Thank you! If by a bit above you mean not your preferred genre/style, that is understandable and am regardless appreciative that you enjoyed them from an artistic perspective anyway! Dreams of Verlauni 1f609

Diana wrote:Ooooh! I got the chills! That was beautiful, thank you! And I love that dio! Very Happy

FYI, the first 6 images as well as number 8 and 10 are not displayed here (the links did work though). Are they bigger than the rest maybe?

You're very welcome, and it pleases me to know you got such a strong reaction from my story and photos. Reception like that is what I strive for! Smile

Hmm I am not sure if those images not being displayed is only on your end or if others may be having that problem too? They showed up fine after posting earlier and just now. Maybe has something to do with viewing in mobile or web version, not sure about this...

davidd wrote:I'm curious - do you write out the story first, and then take the photos? Or do you start taking photos and let a story emerge during the photography process?

It usually depends on what kind of photoshoot I am going for, and if I want it to be more spontaneous or pre-planned. For this particular entry I did write out all the dialogue beforehand, then photographed the accompanying imagery as I envisioned it in my mind.

6Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another beautiful -- and thankfully more upbeat -- set of scenes. Your imagination runs riot and produces such colorful and complex characters and images. Verlauni is an interesting creation, not nearly as grungy as the others, yet more realistic than the anime potential suggested by some of her accessories -- producing a more compelling character in the end. I hope she helps Cade heal and prevail. As always, the various little details add so much to the setting. Funny that Chip should note the cattle skull. I love those (and the more realistic, the better), and have one in the drawer next to me, that I've been meaning to repaint and use.

7Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty interesting development and neat dio. A cool new character.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dreams of Verlauni C8485110

8Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:37 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Really cool!

9Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:10 am

ElBundy

ElBundy
You are really a great storyteller in 1/6. Your dioramas are very special and your figures are unique. I like the dark flashback in black and white. I could imagine your figures in a kind of stop motion movie.

10Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:10 am

Diana

Diana
If you did something it worked. Laughing
I can see all images embedded now.

11Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:57 am

Ovy

Ovy
Beautiful and creative way of reintroducing a healer character, with a connection to Kaelani. Great wild color palette and I liked the little Christmas deco. You could find a way to make the budgies attachable to her shoulders, just like Odin but more fancy.
I just wonder who the father could be, hmmm. She seems to be a great dream therapist. Telepatist. Telepatherapist. (Short: Tepathist)

Really loved the additon of the ice cream van door and the backflash, really makes it feel like another life long ago, while at the same time it wasn't long ago you first introduced Scoop.

The horns behind Cade's head in the magic shot was a nice detail.

I liked the fact that Gheizt just appeared and threatened him, but didn't say a word, like a sinister silent omnipresent hallucination or dream monster trying to torment him. I can imagine he befriends him in his dream, it's the most efficient way of dealing  with demons and monsters in lucid dreams. They are, after all, part of one's own consciousness.

Have to think of some Boards of Canada music, like this one. I just listened to it while reading and looking through the pictures again.

12Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:09 pm

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
GubernatorFan wrote:Another beautiful -- and thankfully more upbeat -- set of scenes. Your imagination runs riot and produces such colorful and complex characters and images. Verlauni is an interesting creation, not nearly as grungy as the others, yet more realistic than the anime potential suggested by some of her accessories -- producing a more compelling character in the end. I hope she helps Cade heal and prevail. As always, the various little details add so much to the setting. Funny that Chip should note the cattle skull. I love those (and the more realistic, the better), and have one in the drawer next to me, that I've been meaning to repaint and use.

Hehe yeah, I wasn't sure if the whole 'being in a coma' thing might be too gloomy, though glad the overall positive vibe I was going for shined through. Definitely went for less grungy and more casual with Verlauni's overall design, just wanted to do something different and cleaner for a change. Thank you for acknowledging all the details and set pieces, yeah that cattle skull is a beauty - there are actually a lot of other gritty-looking props I've noticed at Hobby Lobby that would make great accompaniments to the style of my sets, but I have to limit myself whenever I go otherwise I would spend a painful fortune.

Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty interesting development and neat dio. A cool new character.

Glad you liked the new development and new character. Thank you for checking out the new installment, Stryker. Cool

BAMComix wrote:Really cool!

Right on, much appreciated. Happy you enjoyed. Wink

ElBundy wrote:You are really a great storyteller in 1/6. Your dioramas are very special and your figures are unique. I like the dark flashback in black and white. I could imagine your figures in a kind of stop motion movie.

You really think so? Thank you for that, I always try to do my own thing with these diorama setups. It has become a great alternative outlet of storytelling for those of us artists who are unsatisfied with where our drawing and writing skills alone can take us. The stop-motion idea has always been appealing at the back of my mind, but I just think it'd be too choppy. There's something about capturing single moments that has lured me further to understanding and appreciating the draw of photography in general through this hobby.

Diana wrote:If you did something it worked. Laughing
I can see all images embedded now.

I didn't do anything, haha. Seems to have sorted itself out. Very Happy

Ovy wrote:Beautiful and creative way of reintroducing a healer character, with a connection to Kaelani. Great wild color palette and I liked the little Christmas deco. You could find a way to  make the budgies attachable to her shoulders, just like Odin but more fancy.
I just wonder who the father could be, hmmm. She seems to be a great dream therapist. Telepatist. Telepatherapist. (Short: Tepathist)

Really loved the additon of the ice cream van door and the backflash, really makes it feel like another life long ago, while at the same time it wasn't long ago you first introduced Scoop.

The horns behind Cade's head in the magic shot was a nice detail.

I liked the fact that Gheizt just appeared and threatened him, but didn't say a word, like a sinister silent omnipresent hallucination or dream monster trying to torment him. I can imagine he befriends him in his dream, it's the most efficient way of dealing  with demons and monsters in lucid dreams. They are, after all, part of one's own consciousness.

Have to think of some Boards of Canada music, like this one. I just listened to it while reading and looking through the pictures again.

Yay! Pleased you enjoyed the new chapter and introduction, as usual you have some great feedback and ideas for improvement. I really only used that small decor piece to cover up the red K on her sweater (it's a Ken doll jacket), though I have considered giving her more floral additions in general, maybe even a hippie floral crown? Laughing As for Verlauni's other parent, I am preferring it was not anyone from the known cast but rather a nobody. That or she has no father entirely, and was some kind of 'magical Force baby' (a la Anakin from SW).

I'm glad someone noticed the alignment of the horns behind Cade's head in some of the shots - to symbolize him being 'bull-headed' and stubborn. Evil or Very Mad I actually particularly like the look though, my question is if I gave him an actual horned headband of some kind in future installments, would he maybe look too much like a Viking?

The idea of Cade befriending his dream-demon-poltergeist is a fun concept. He doesn't have to befriend the REAL Gheizt, just these fragments that have latched themselves onto his subconscious - so it is plausible. Cade and Verlauni's 'Dream Voyage' is only just beginning, so I think some scenes of them playing mundane board games or Battleship against Gheizt, stuff like that along the way could be really amusing.

That music is rather fitting. Any hour long/eight hour long Dream-Meditation aural sounds from the good 'ol Tube would probably work for their continued journey. Razz

13Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Diana

Diana
AlKelAstra91 wrote:As for Verlauni's other parent, I am preferring it was not anyone from the known cast but rather a nobody. That or she has no father entirely, and was some kind of 'magical Force baby' (a la Anakin from SW).

I'm glad someone noticed the alignment of the horns behind Cade's head in some of the shots - to symbolize him being 'bull-headed' and stubborn. Evil or Very Mad I actually particularly like the look though, my question is if I gave him an actual horned headband of some kind in future installments, would he maybe look too much like a Viking?

The idea of Cade befriending his dream-demon-poltergeist is a fun concept. He doesn't have to befriend the REAL Gheizt, just these fragments that have latched themselves onto his subconscious - so it is plausible. Cade and Verlauni's 'Dream Voyage' is only just beginning, so I think some scenes of them playing mundane board games or Battleship against Gheizt, stuff like that along the way could be really amusing.

That music is rather fitting. Any hour long/eight hour long Dream-Meditation aural sounds from the good 'ol Tube would probably work for their continued journey. Razz
Bugger! I was listening to the music (thank you for sharing that, Ovy! I love you ) when I hit reply. D'oh!
I see where you're going with the "no father figure" direction. Maybe she is "merely" a manifestation of some kind of... current... Very Happy

I also really like the idea of these casual moments with Gheizt. Very funny. I would love to see those! Smile

Btw, I also saw the placement of the horns behind him. Sorry I didn't mention it. ^^
Whether a horned headband would look too Viking would depend on the horns and the headband. I'm sure you could rock it so that it has its own vibe.

14Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:24 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice photos series (as always)! Dreams of Verlauni 1f44d Dreams of Verlauni 1f44d Dreams of Verlauni 1f44d

15Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I really liked that story, and I absolutely love how everything in your world changes, even the truck changed.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Dreams of Verlauni 1f60e

16Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:52 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It's really nice to have Kaelani mentioned and referenced in this way, thanks for the 'continuity'. :')

And wow, I can't get over how realistic that faux-Solo head is. Cade is one of your stand-out creations, for sure!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

17Dreams of Verlauni Empty Re: Dreams of Verlauni Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:29 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic as ever ! She really has the eyes of a dreamer. The little birds are so sweet. I always enjoy Your Stories. Very unique characters

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum