OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

GACTOYS head review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GACTOYS head review Empty GACTOYS head review Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:05 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Hello all, I know I'm very late to the party, and most likely everything that can be reviewed, already has been. Laughing   Still, I thought I'd share my own observations of the two heads that arrived today.  Since the only heads I had previously were pale, I ordered two heads that were listed as working with the "suntan" body like my S23B.  I ordered the GACTOYS Gal Gadot head and the GACTOYS Scarlett Johansson head sculpt.  They are two of the more attractive actresses, in my opinion, but I really am not going for a celebrity or known character look.  I figured if nothing else, I could throw a set of sunglasses on them and they would be much less obvious.  

I have to say, I'm not all that happy with either one.  On the plus side, I believe they did a great job of capturing the likeness of the two women.  Since that is probably the most important feature to most folks who choose to buy a celebrity head, I have to give them high marks for that.  First on the list of things I don't care for is the eyes.  Neither sculpt is looking directly forward.  It might make for more interesting expressions, but it drives me nuts.  Again, sunglasses could fix that, but if my plan weren't to make them incognito, I'd be quite turned off by that.  

Second in the negatives category is the fitment.  They are both wobbly on my S23B.  Maybe my several (I think I have 5 now) Super Ducks heads have spoiled me, but I'm not accustom to heads that won't maintain their position.  Neither of these do.  I ordered both "new in box" from a reputable eBay company.  They had over 3,000 reviews, with a 99% satisfaction rate.  And yet...My Scarlett head sculpt came in a ziplock bag wrapped in bubble wrap.  My Gal head came in an actual GACTOYs box, but with no rubber adapter inside the head.  That was less of an issue for me, since I have far more heads than bodies, and can swap one out, but if I just owned a body and bought this head thinking it would work, I'd have been very disappointed.  

As for color, neither are all that close a match to my "new suntan" S23B, which both are advertised as working with, but I wouldn't mark them down too much for that.  I imagine getting a perfect match is very difficult, and they are both close enough to get by (photos below).  I have a Kimi KT004 on order, and I'll see how I like it when it arrives.  All in all, I won't be buying any more GACTOYS head sculpts, based on my experience with these two.  I took close and far shots for both, to show the faces well and to give a better idea of skin tone match:

(As a side note, I just have to say again how impressed I am with the S22A/ S23B bodies)

GACTOYS head review I-tXXbWLh-XL

GACTOYS head review I-9khVN8g-XL

GACTOYS head review I-GZ5hPCJ-XL

GACTOYS head review I-cZt6zM2-XL

And once again, I'm amazed by the difference lighting makes in skin color.  In these photos my S23B looks quite pale, as opposed to this other recent photo, where it does not...Laughing

GACTOYS head review I-KS7kGRB-L

2GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Diana

Diana
Ooph! I'd be disappointed with both, too. While I personally like that they are not looking straight on, I am less forgiving on the skin color, if it was advertised to match. Other companies manage, so they should, too.

I wouldn't be so sure that they are genuine though, especially the one that came in a plastic bag. But the ScarJo head is of course a little older, so if it was that one then maybe it was normal. Don't know.

But my recent Margot Robbie GC047 sculpt was beautiful and a color match as advertised, and it came in a box. Other recent releases that people have shown here also looked like a color match. Maybe they've just gotten better over time...

I expect the KT004 to be a good match in terms of color. I have two KT004 (the second one for repainting), and both are painted quite differently, but the skin color is consistent. The head is rather small, but it works with the S23B (as can be seen in the Faithless Angels topic) and many other bodies.

3GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:18 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Diana wrote:Ooph! I'd be disappointed with both, too. While I personally like that they are not looking straight on, I am less forgiving on the skin color, if it was advertised to match. Other companies manage, so they should, too.

I wouldn't be so sure that they are genuine though, especially the one that came in a plastic bag. But the ScarJo head is of course a little older, so if it was that one then maybe it was normal. Don't know.

But my recent Margot Robbie GC047 sculpt was beautiful and a color match as advertised, and it came in a box. Other recent releases that people have shown here also looked like a color match. Maybe they've just gotten better over time...

I expect the KT004 to be a good match in terms of color. I have two KT004 (the second one for repainting), and both are painted quite differently, but the skin color is consistent. The head is rather small, but it works with the S23B (as can be seen in the Faithless Angels topic) and many other bodies.

Thanks for the comments, Diana. That's interesting that the KT004 is slightly smaller. If it was pale instead of suntan it sounds like it would be a good match for my S24A, which I'm having a hard time finding anything for (heads or clothes). I like the body style, but I honestly don't think I'll be keeping it. I know folks have said that Barbie clothes fit the smaller Phicens like the S24-S27, but those aren't the look I'm after. I prefer military/ paramilitary outfits for my 1/6 figures.

I'm glad your Margot Robbie turned out well. And like I said, the skin color is honestly the least of my issues (maybe because I'm colorblind Laughing ). I'd at least hoped they would fit well. I read that people recommend putting tape or other fillers in to increase the friction between ball joint and head, but at this price point, you really shouldn't have to, at least in my opinion. If other companies can make it work, I see no reason they shouldn't. Which reminds me, does your Margot Robbie head fit securely? I like that my SD heads require a conscious effort to move.

4GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm sorry for your disappointment. I have the Gal Gadot GAC head, which is not really the best likeness, and it worked ok for me. Here it is on an S29B:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5374-three-gals

I prefer the likeness (and look) of your Scarlett GAC head. At least in your lighting, the skin tone difference is pretty noticeable. Is it as noticeable in hand and under other light (say natural day light)?

While your disappointment is a perfectly legitimate reaction, keep in mind that GAC is not TBLeague, it may have limited control over actual factory production (as opposed to initial design), the claims for actual compatibility might (might!) be on the part of third party sellers, and at any rate TBLeague skin tone is a moving target. What was "suntan" four years ago, is not quite the same as what is "suntan" now. And while I, too, am annoyed whenever I need to touch up a head (or a body) to make them more color-compatible, that comes with the territory of bashing together characters with pieces from different sources. No head sculpt is going to be fully compatible with every potential body one might choose to put it on. As for the fit on the neck peg, you are actually much better off with something more flexible and adjustable than whatever inside neck connector happens to come (or not come) with a head sculpt, precisely because different combinations (or even different situations involving the same combinations) might require slightly differing placement.

5GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:23 pm

Arcata

Arcata
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm sorry for your disappointment. I have the Gal Gadot GAC head, which is not really the best likeness, and it worked ok for me. Here it is on an S29B:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5374-three-gals

I prefer the likeness (and look) of your Scarlett GAC head. At least in your lighting, the skin tone difference is pretty noticeable. Is it as noticeable in hand and under other light (say natural day light)?

While your disappointment is a perfectly legitimate reaction, keep in mind that GAC is not TBLeague, it may have limited control over actual factory production (as opposed to initial design), the claims for actual compatibility might (might!) be on the part of third party sellers, and at any rate TBLeague skin tone is a moving target. What was "suntan" four years ago, is not quite the same as what is "suntan" now. And while I, too, am annoyed whenever I need to touch up a head (or a body) to make them more color-compatible, that comes with the territory of bashing together characters with pieces from different sources. No head sculpt is going to be fully compatible with every potential body one might choose to put it on. As for the fit on the neck peg, you are actually much better off with something more flexible and adjustable than whatever inside neck connector happens to come (or not come) with a head sculpt, precisely because different combinations (or even different situations involving the same combinations) might require slightly differing placement.

Ian, I agree the color match worked very well on your three "Gals", from different companies.  I also think the Hot Toys was the best likeness of her.  My Scarlett head really is a great likeness, I'll definitely give them props for that, and she's an attractive face.  I don't hold them responsible for the fact that my intention is not to use her to portray a famous person. Laughing  Also, in interest of fairness, I'm convinced that the color matching claim was made by the third party sellers, not by GACTOYS. I do still wish the eyes were directly forward, but I understand that's a completely subjective opinion that not everyone shares.  

I'll try to answer your question about color matching without overcomplicating it (ah, screw that, when have I ever simplified something that could be made complex Laughing ):  The lighting in these photos was pretty natural.  Unlike most of my photos, which are taken in the evening with incandescent lighting, these were taken during the day.  Indoors, but with no illumination other than the sunlight coming from the window (not direct obviously).  I have to say, in-hand, I don't notice as big a difference as these photos make it appear.  In fact, in the same natural lighting that I have today, I just looked at it, and it almost appeared to be an exact match.  The only difference I noted (and I think the photo shows this too) is that Scarlett's face is slightly more warm, and the 23B is a little cool.  But at the end of the day, take all this with a grain of salt, I am pretty severely colorblind.  Laughing

I'll try to keep an open mind about the fitment.  I may try just a small strip of masking tape around the ball joint and see how that works.  This won't be the permanent head on my 23B, I have a SDH025 on pre-order for it, but since that is a few months out at least, this will work until then.  You've likely seen the photos of the SDH025, but if not, check it out and I think it would be up your alley.  My Ex and I both agree it looks very mature and "real" compared to other head sculpts. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I have one of each of the three hair versions on order.  

Doug

6GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hi Doug, glad the match is better in hand. Yes, lighting does make a world of difference sometimes. With the protective powder I use on these bodies, I can never use flash when taking photos, because the powder will look far too obvious and distracting. Just another example of how little things make a big difference. The sideways glance is fashionable these days, and some argue that without at least a little bit of that, the head sculpt would lack life. There is something to that, although in some situations it does get in the way. The beautiful HT Gal head, for example, does have a bit of that going on, and it would not work equally well everywhere, while it makes her look alive and alert.

7GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:38 pm

Arcata

Arcata
GubernatorFan wrote:Hi Doug, glad the match is better in hand. Yes, lighting does make a world of difference sometimes. With the protective powder I use on these bodies, I can never use flash when taking photos, because the powder will look far too obvious and distracting. Just another example of how little things make a big difference. The sideways glance is fashionable these days, and some argue that without at least a little bit of that, the head sculpt would lack life. There is something to that, although in some situations it does get in the way. The beautiful HT Gal head, for example, does have a bit of that going on, and it would not work equally well everywhere, while it makes her look alive and alert.

That makes sense about the non-direct eyes making it more lifelike. I can see how they would (and do, at least in Scarlett's case), but for me the tradeoff of being limited in how the head can be posed is not worth the increase in lifelikeness. Speaking of the powder you use, I was just reading up on that, which included some of the older posts you've made. I ordered some, and will give it a shot for sure. So far, and maybe I've just been very lucky, mine haven't become very dirty/ linty yet with the handling I've done.

Also, I added a bit more to my last post as you were writing your response. I think of things after I hit send, and it's a bad habit I need to break. haha

8GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:28 pm

Diana

Diana
I'm pretty sure my Margot head was also wobbly, but I swear by Blu Tack. Always works. Smile

9GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:43 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:I'm pretty sure my Margot head was also wobbly, but I swear by Blu Tack. Always works. Smile
I second that. I would add, for Doug's benefit as a new member, another option is to cut a little length of thick foamie, roll it into the neck hole inside the head leaving just a little bit of room, and then stick the neck peg inside that. No mess, some leeway. This is covered (among other things) here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t310-head-conversion-tutorial-updated-with-part-iii-june-2019

10GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:23 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Thank you both for the suggestions! After reading the instructions in the other post, I remembered that my new load-bearing vest that I got from BlackOpsToys had tiny pieces of foam to make all the pouches look full. I removed one and tried it with the Scarlett head instead of the rubber plug. That was a genius idea! It works very well. Thanks a ton. Very Happy

11GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:51 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I think you’ll be happy with the Kimi KT004 head.  I have a KT005 on a S12D.   The color match is very good on the Kimi heads and TBL suntan bodies.  The head fits snugly on the peg.  It probably sits a little bit high, but not enough that I’ve felt the need to alter it.  I have another S12D with a GAC 006 D head on it, and while the fit isn’t as snug as the Kimi head, it certainly isn’t wobbly.  As with the Kimi head, the color match is pretty good, but it sits a bit high.

Unfortunately, I have very little kitbashing experience outside of the S10/12D because that seems to be the default for third party sets.  I do have a S22A with an Genesis Emen Mai head on it and a S23D with a Super Duck Chun Li head on it, and both are good fits.  Someone else may be able to verify this, but I think the S10/12D neck pegs might be slightly larger than the S22/23.

The worst case of wobbly head syndrome I’ve experienced is the MT Toys Jill Valentine set on the recommended S17B body.  Not wanting to damage the head, I used a Dremel to shorten the adapter to get the head to fit lower and tighter on the neck peg.

Honestly, I’m so used to third party heads not color matching or sitting at the perfect height on the neck without being adjusted that it’s almost euphoric when one does as was the case with the Genesis Emen Mai head and the S22A body I had available.

I refer to most 1/12 and 1/6 Gal head sculpts as “Gal GaNOT!”. She has an exceptionally difficult face to capture in figure form.

12GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:05 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Xavion2004 wrote:I think you’ll be happy with the Kimi KT004 head.  I have a KT005 on a S12D.   The color match is very good on the Kimi heads and TBL suntan bodies.  The head fits snugly on the peg.  It probably sits a little bit high, but not enough that I’ve felt the need to alter it.  I have another S12D with a GAC 006 D head on it, and while the fit isn’t as snug as the Kimi head, it certainly isn’t wobbly.  As with the Kimi head, the color match is pretty good, but it sits a bit high.

Unfortunately, I have very little kitbashing experience outside of the S10/12D because that seems to be the default for third party sets.  I do have a S22A with an Genesis Emen Mai head on it and a S23D with a Super Duck Chun Li head on it, and both are good fits.  Someone else may be able to verify this, but I think the S10/12D neck pegs might be slightly larger than the S22/23.

The worst case of wobbly head syndrome I’ve experienced is the MT Toys Jill Valentine set on the recommended S17B body.  Not wanting to damage the head, I used a Dremel to shorten the adapter to get the head to fit lower and tighter on the neck peg.

Honestly, I’m so used to third party heads not color matching or sitting at the perfect height on the neck without being adjusted that it’s almost euphoric when one does as was the case with the Genesis Emen Mai head and the S22A body I had available.

I refer to most 1/12 and 1/6 Gal head sculpts as “Gal GaNOT!”.  She has an exceptionally difficult face to capture in figure form.

Thanks for the encouragement about the Kimi head! From the sounds of it, I probably set my expectations too high for these two head sculpts.
I decided to try the Scarlett head on the 23B body, with the character a little kitted up. By the time I got the shirt and trousers on, I had the epiphany that the color match was meaningless if the head is the only part of the body that is visible. Laughing I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed. Given this, I decided to put one of my Super Duck heads on it instead, and the look is just fine.

This character was just a quick rush, and is missing many key elements so I figured she's not yet deserving of her own thread. I'll just put up a few quick photos. I have to say, I thought it was very cute that she is wearing the exact same London Bridge Trading load bearing vest that I recently got, and uses the same Lancer magazines for her M4. Very Happy

GACTOYS head review I-vrds8tZ-X2

GACTOYS head review I-SW5LDwG-XL

GACTOYS head review I-L6DWsG9-X2

13GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:34 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Nice pic you did there with her on the mag and vest.
Lancer mags... so that's what you call that type of translucent mag, good to finally know.

Btw i don't think the Scarlett head is GACtoys, that's why it didn't come in a box.
It looks like the HT recast by ZC Toys based on the hairstyle.
I have a similar Scar Jo recast headsculpt but i don't know the brand and the skintone is darker than your pic so i can't match it to any body except the ancient Hot Toys Female TrueType body.

14GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm

Arcata

Arcata
rollotomasi wrote:Nice pic you did there with her on the mag and vest.
Lancer mags... so that's what you call that type of translucent mag, good to finally know.

Btw i don't think the Scarlett head is GACtoys, that's why it didn't come in a box.
It looks like the HT recast by ZC Toys based on the hairstyle.
I have a similar Scar Jo recast headsculpt but i don't know the brand and the skintone is darker than your pic so i can't match it to any body except the ancient Hot Toys Female TrueType body.

Thanks for the compliment, Rollo (I love your screen name by the way Laughing ). You could very well be right that the Scarlett head isn't a CAGtoys. I hadn't thought of that but it's entirely possible, and would explain the lack of a box.

And yeah, "Lancer" is the name of the company that makes them. They sell them in clear, smoke, and dark earth translucent, and black, dark earth, red, etc. in opaque. They come in 10, 20, and 30 rounders. The 20's are my personal favorites. They don't get hung up as much on stuff inside a vehicle, and they are the perfect size to fit in your rear pants pocket. It's a great design, the polymer body means they are light weight and strong, and the steel feed lips mean the magazine won't swell over time (like on PMags).

GACTOYS head review Lancer-M

15GACTOYS head review Empty Re: GACTOYS head review Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:33 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Welcome to the herd, Arkata. Great pictures and thanks for the HS - Body skintone example

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum