OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Danny Trejo custom head updated

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 18 Sep 2022 - 3:57

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
More photos in this subsequent post.

I came across these Danny Trejo heads on eBay a few times, and was struck by the excellence of the sculpt -- in part helped by the part that it was made of resin, luckily without a molded neck.  Eventually, I picked up the unpainted version (custom painted ones were quite expensive), and last night I spent some time painting it, without expecting much success.  I used the technique of painting the flesh dark and building a couple of thin lighter layers on top.  In the end, I think it worked out ok for a non-professional paint job.  Which was a great relief, because I felt bad potentially defacing the beautiful sculpt.

Comparison of the unpainted sculpt above and my paint job below.

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre10

Of course a close zoom in reveals all the imperfections in my paint job. But luckily, one doesn't look at it so large.  Besides, it ends up looking a little artsy. Smile

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre11

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre12

What do you think?

More photos in this subsequent post.

#custom #paint #head #resin #male #actor #dannytrejo

2actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 18 Sep 2022 - 5:59

Diana

Diana
Wow! Great pick and great job!
I would probably want to try adding a few stray hairs originating outside the hairline, to add realism.
And of course zoomed in like this I can't not see some splotches here and there, but I bet zoomed out and just sitting on top of a body that just adds to the grit of the character. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to seeing him fully dressed and all!

3actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 18 Sep 2022 - 13:34

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice job, Ian. I agree, all close up it’s impossible not to see the imperfections, but from normal viewing distance, it looks great. Really cool you got him.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated C8485110

4actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 18 Sep 2022 - 15:47

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Wow! Great pick and great job!
I would probably want to try adding a few stray hairs originating outside the hairline, to add realism.
And of course zoomed in like this I can't not see some splotches here and there, but I bet zoomed out and just sitting on top of a body that just adds to the grit of the character. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to seeing him fully dressed and all!

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice job, Ian. I agree, all close up it’s impossible not to see the imperfections, but from normal viewing distance, it looks great. Really cool you got him.

Thank you both very much, I'm glad you like him. More photos coming up next.

5actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 18 Sep 2022 - 15:49

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I know he likes to show off his numerous tattoos, but since I'm not about to do that to one of my seamless bodies right now, he has to stay covered up. The pleather is falling apart and meant for a bigger figure, but it makes do for now, I think. Smile

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre13

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre14

actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Dantre15

6actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 9:54

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Nicely done, GF. That really captures Trejo's moon crater face.
I recall seeing a custom in a 1/6 exhibit, someone did a Tortuga, his character from Breaking Bad,
using a Headplay Trejo head with sculpted eyelids, bloodied on a tortoise figure.

7actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 21:10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rollotomasi wrote:Nicely done, GF. That really captures Trejo's moon crater face.
I recall seeing a custom in a 1/6 exhibit, someone did a Tortuga, his character from Breaking Bad,
using a Headplay Trejo head with sculpted eyelids, bloodied on a tortoise figure.
Thank you very much. My lighting is a bit overexposing, but yes, although I used primer under the paint, the resin cast (luckily neck-less) was excellent and you get all of his character coming through. I wonder if this is not an adaptation of the Headplay head. It seems to be unbranded and carried by a number of sellers on eBay, alongside some others (of other actors), that look like they might be copied from existing products.

8actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sun 25 Sep 2022 - 12:42

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Your paintwork turned out very nicely, Ian. In his leather outfit and on the bike, he looks a lot like a Trejonator... Smile

9actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Tue 27 Sep 2022 - 16:27

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Your paintwork turned out very nicely, Ian. In his leather outfit and on the bike, he looks a lot like a Trejonator... Smile
Thank you very much Ralf, I'm glad you liked it. Trejonator... funny. Once the stand-in outfit was on (and briefly, as it is flecking and falling apart, and I didn't want it to make a mess of the figure's surface, although it was an easier fix than staining), I had to go there. Smile

This guy likes to show his tattoos off a lot, but with rising prices, I'm not willing to experiment on applying tattoos for just one character on a seamless body. Hence the oversized leather cover up. Smile

10actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Tue 27 Sep 2022 - 16:53

Valiarde

Valiarde
Ah nice seeing this thread only now. I know the close up problems after painting too, but as long as it looks good in normal viewing distance all is fine.

Your trejo looks really good on that bike! Maybe hw can meet some gopniks and ask them for tattoos. And if not, maybe he can get a machete or sth from them Smile

Oh and i like that you took before/after pics from different angles!

11actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 12:06

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Ah nice seeing this thread only now. I know the close up problems after painting too, but as long as it looks good in normal viewing distance all is fine.

Your trejo looks really good on that bike! Maybe hw can meet some gopniks and ask them for tattoos. And if not, maybe he can get a machete or sth from them Smile

Oh and i like that you took before/after pics from different angles!
Thank you very much, Simon. I'm glad you liked him. Somewhere I have a machete but I couldn't find it easily, so that plan went out the window. Smile I'm sure he would quickly find some common ground with the Gopniks over some boose. Vodka, Tequila, same difference... Smile Custom head painting experiments continue.

12actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 13:10

dadrab

dadrab
Dude, you’re really good with eyes.
Fact is, the whole paint job is pretty damn good.
Nice work.

13actor - Danny Trejo custom head updated Empty Re: Danny Trejo custom head updated Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 14:14

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:Dude, you’re really good with eyes.
Fact is, the whole paint job is pretty damn good.
Nice work.
I know they could have been worse, but I also known they could have been better. They are probably the hardest part to get right. So I really appreciate your positive assessment. Thank you very much!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum