OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Tanzenwolfe

Well that Ulli Pekka version is a superb head!  I wish all heads were that well done, but then again my bank account would spontaneously combust.

I really enjoyed the Vikings series, it tailed off a bit during the last couple of seasons but thought it was a good pacey journey and some strong characters, with a reasonable smattering of historical basis, if a bit mashed up for the storytelling. This and GoT binges carried me through the lockdowns.

Evidently there were similar ideas inspiring the Lagertha costume homage - seems pretty accurate to the Vikings screen version at least.

Ovy

But does she have viking woman body?

GeeWillikers

Ovy wrote:But does she have viking woman body?

No but she does have Viking Spirit!

I've never watched 'Vikings', but from the photos, that sculpt looks nothing like the actress (which in my book is a good thing - I like to create characters that aren't bound to an actor's likeness).

Although (and here's a reference that will probably be lost on anyone born after 1990):

If that sculpt looks like anyone, it looks like Diana Scarwid.

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 1191

Annalise

Newly arrived is POPtoys Lagertha, oops, I mean generic Viking Female Soldier not based on any specific copyrighted IP...

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 1img_215

The armour is real metal rings on her torso and shoulders and molded and painted on her forearms. Mine unfortunately has a defect in one chain where the ring wasn't joined properly leaving a noticeable gap. Sad  (I'll pretend it's battle damaged). The cloak is great. Nice thick material with a wire and two different coloured strips wound through. The shield is big and real wood and super heavy meaning that it looks amazing BUT while you MAY be able to get her arm to hold it up, her wrist won't, so getting the shield parallel to her body is challenging. The good news is that her hands, unlike previous POP figs I have, are super tight on the pegs and won't be falling off.

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 2img_214

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 3img_215

The weight of the metal on her shoulders makes her top-heavy and very time-consuming and more than a bit frustrating to pose. The stand is included for a reason as she loves nothing more than a good face-plant.

Her hair is wool or mohair or ?. Very different from the std plastic rooted hair material usually used and very realistic. I really wish they had done all her hair with it because I thought I wasn't going to like the half and half hair and sure enough, I don't. I understand the intricate braids would be impossible to pull off otherwise, but I don't think it's worth it. From the front it's not too bad at times...

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 4img_216

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 5img_213

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 6img_213

The side view gets a bit worse...

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 7img_213

From the back it's just bad. It looks like she's got an Alien Facehugger sitting on her head!

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 8img_212

I'm leaning towards this Pop knight head as a replacement at the moment.

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 9img_211

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for posting the photos and your mini-review. I think she looks great. Sure, the half and half hair is always going to be iffy, and this is hardly the best example, but it's not that bad at all. There are things you can do it, with paint and cutting extra hair lines, that might help a little bit. Even the resemblance is kinda there. I wouldn't replace the head -- why not have two female Viking warriors while you're at it?

gooboo

I don't like the look of the plastic/real hair combination at all, unfortunately. They should have just gone full sculpted hair if they wanted the intricate styling on top, in my opinion.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I agree, the Pop Toys Knight head is better, despite not having the braids. The softness of the production sculpt is kinda’ bland.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 C8485110

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you for that very nice review. I also have her on order but i will change the head for sure.
I think her profile view is very good but front view is a bit bland. I dont care for resemblance at all in this case.

Wood shield and real chains with all positives and negatives yeah...weight is always a problem, still glad they used the real materials here.

Smile

Annalise

Annalise
Valiarde wrote:Thank you for that very nice review. I also have her on order but i will change the head for sure.
I think her profile view is very good but front view is a bit bland. I dont care for resemblance at all in this case.

Wood shield and real chains with all positives and negatives yeah...weight is always a problem, still glad they used the real materials here.

You're very welcome and thank you. I agree. While I thought it might be helpful to voice my observations, I will happily trade some frustration for real wood & metal items. They just look so much better than plastic.

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Great photos and comments Annalise. As I only have one other figure to compare her with, it’s useful to know that the challenges of getting her to hold the shield are not just my difficulty. Mine also has a missed link in her chain mail, although it’s on the bottom row so a little less noticeable. I was surprised how fast she was sent out, it was my most recent pre-order by some months yet the first to arrive.....

shazzdan

shazzdan
Annalise wrote:
The armour is real metal rings on her torso and shoulders and molded and painted on her forearms. Mine unfortunately has a defect in one chain where the ring wasn't joined properly leaving a noticeable gap. Sad  (I'll pretend it's battle damaged).

Take a ring off the bottom corner (where it won't be missed) and insert it into the gap.

Annalise

Annalise
Tanzenwolfe wrote:Great photos and comments Annalise. As I only have one other figure to compare her with, it’s useful to know that the challenges of getting her to hold the shield are not just my difficulty. Mine also has a missed link in her chain mail, although it’s on the bottom row so a little less noticeable. I was surprised how fast she was sent out, it was my most recent pre-order by some months yet the first to arrive.....

Thanks! Uh oh, sounds like maybe the QC on the mail is not all it could be but we'll need more data to confirm.

Each figure company has a different release tempo. TBLeague and DID release sets about 2-3 months after pre-orders start while Super Duck releases 2-3 years after the promo announcement. Everybody's different. Just one more esoteric detail one must learn in this crazy hobby: What IS the avg PO wait time for each company?

Shazzdan wrote:Take a ring off the bottom corner (where it won't be missed) and insert it into the gap.

That's a great solution, thanks so much!

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
[quote="Annalise"]

Each figure company has a different release tempo. TBLeague and DID release sets about 2-3 months after pre-orders start while Super Duck releases 2-3 years after the promo announcement. Everybody's different. Just one more esoteric detail one must learn in this crazy hobby: What IS the avg PO wait time for each company?

That’s quite a spread of time differences; yes there are some very esoteric details to learn! Rather glad I haven’t preordered a Super Duck so far, that sounds like it would take supreme patience.

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
A few more shots of not-Lagertha.  I can’t add much to Annalise’s helpful details; but I’m happy as I’d hoped for a half-way decent viking woman who looked vaguely credible and able to wield some weapons. (That is, not a cartoon Giganta-boob in a fur bikini Wink).   Her movement is fairly restricted by her clothing and I do wish she’d had an axe, although I can always add on.

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 Be8ca710

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 Cf27a510

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Two more…

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 Ed53dd10

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS 1/6 EX051 Female Vikings Action figure Lagertha - Page 2 44034c10

Valiarde

Valiarde
Always nice to see more pics! Love the first one with the central perspective and the four branches "heading" away from her.

Looks like a easy enough figure to take outside for shots (unlike some heavy equipped ones or metal plate armor figures which are often hard to handle)

Keep them coming, thanks for showing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice outdoor photos. She's questing through a giant forest alright.

Diana

Diana
This is a nice figure, despite the shortcomings that I agree with, especially regarding the hair.

BUT! That hole in the chainmail I would not have noticed as a flaw. To me it looks intentional. Battle damage like you said. Smile

Love her outfit.

She looks great among the trees, too! Very Happy

BAMComix

BAMComix
Love the outdoor pics! she look at home outside on her quest!

Spartan06

Spartan06
Annalise, great review and pictures!  I always like seeing pics of the actual products - thanks for posting those.  Although I like the head sculpt, I'm with you about the mix of sculpted versus rooted hair.  I've bought alternate head sculpts for two of my female figures with sculpted hair, despite liking the faces on those sculpts.  Your pics show that the two types can blend in pretty well from the front.

Too bad about the hole in her chainmail, but it would be a convenient place to stick in an arrow for a battle scene.

Tanzenwolfe, great outdoor pics that show off how good she looks in natural settings outside.  The sculpted hair blends well in your pics too.  I almost fell for the first one being a live actress.  Embarassed

Nice acquisitions for both of you.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the pics, she looks good in the pictures despite the qc issues.

Doomhammer

I'm liking this figure a lot, but I can't help but wonder how she would look with a coomodel helmet. Anyone ever try it?

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Sadly I don’t have a coomodel helmet to try.....maybe one day.

helianthus

I am unsure if this character is "from" any specific piece of media, but I appreciate the idea of a clothed female warrior character, as this seems to not be the usual design to say the least.

The combination of material in her hair is odd, but I love the detailed braids given to her character.

In addition, the photos of her in the outdoors are very naturalistic and dynamic, I'm always amazed when I come to this forum the level of realism achieved in the design, pose, and photography, of the figures posted here.

Kallor8

It's Kathrynn Winnick's character named Lagertha, a viking warrior and leader from the TV show Vikings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum