OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: JXK Studio: 1/6 African Bison (water buffalo) JXK160

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:This is pretty awesome.  I’ve seen them in real life and they are beautiful but intimidating animals.  I don’t need it though.  In terms of a market for 1/6 animals, smaller pets and domesticated animals probably have a better sales potential.  Given the size and price of this guy, I’d be more inclined to want something in metal as a piece of décor for the man cave.
I agree, although they still manage to overprice those. I mean, we're talking about the same size and slightly better quality than kids' toys by Schleich and Safari Ltd.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

It's always odd what does or doesn't capture our interest. I'm not feeling any connection to this but an American Bison ("Buffalo") of comparable quality would have engaged my interest so much more - just because of all the associations with a Wild West theme, Buffalo Bill etc, and the pleasure of upgrading those classic 1/6 Marx bisons I've had for half a century.

shazzdan

I actually like this. If it was a reasonable price, I'd get one. I'd be interested in a bison as well.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:It's always odd what does or doesn't capture our interest.  I'm not feeling any connection to this but an American Bison ("Buffalo") of comparable quality would have engaged my interest so much more - just because of all the associations with a Wild West theme, Buffalo Bill etc, and the pleasure of upgrading those classic 1/6 Marx bisons I've had for half a century.
Very true.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:I read a sad article about the closing down of museum displays with taxidermy, thanks to the increasing reliance on virtual (online, TV) experiences.

That's a sad situation. As Lynkhart points out, seeing things on a screen doesn't give a proper impression of size. Even seeing the diagrams isn't the same as seeing a thing in person. And the tapir v musk ox pic really surprised me! I had no idea tapirs were that large!

More and more people are thinking that screens can replace reality, and that animals, even ones long dead, should not be "exploited" for displays, even educational displays. I am coming to believe that our screen-based culture is leading us in to an intellectual dark age where people will have an increasingly tenuous grasp of physical, tangible reality.

Musk ox are honestly tiny, it’s so weird. I remember seeing them on tv as a kid and without anything to gauge size against (just them huddling together in the snow) I assumed they were massive, like the standard dairy cows you see in fields nearby. In reality they’re only small to medium pony sized - the one in my picture is particularly petite I think, but tapirs definitely are a lot bigger than you’d expect too! (Same with penguins - again, as a kid I saw emperor penguins in documentaries and assumed they were like 6ft tall so you can imagine my disappointment when we went to the zoo and they were smaller than me! 😂

But yeah, I think screens and technology definitely have their place in museums, but you won’t appreciate things half as well as you will in person, nearly close enough to touch. It’s honestly one of my favourite things about being in the museum as a visitor, seeing other people like ‘WOW, o had no idea x looked like that in real life!’

Chip

I was in till I see the price .... Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum