OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

One Sixth Photoshoot

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1One Sixth Photoshoot Empty One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:47 pm

theshininglad

Hello everyone.

Sorry, I'm new here so am hoping this is the best place to post (please let me know if not).

I'm a professional photographer based in the UK and I'm looking to do a photo project on the one sixth size figures. I've been blown away with the realism that the artists manage to create on some of these figures. They seem to be the perfect size vs detail ratio!
The problem is I don't collect the figures myself and am struggling to find a way to obtain them without the long wait lists and logistical issues of purchasing overseas then having the characters repainted and re-haired etc. I'm interested in the more bespoke versions that are cast anew or the repainted and and re-haired versions of popular characters.

I thought I'd reach out on here in case anyone might be interested in having some of their collection professionally photographed. I'm very happy to supply both digital and printed versions of the finished work.

Please PM me for more info and I can supply you with links to my work and more info about the concept.

Many thanks,
A

2One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
There are a number of amazing collectors and customizers in the UK, and smaller distances should help. I hope they see your post and decide to take you up on it. I've edited it to be more specific.

3One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:53 pm

theshininglad

Thanks very much for that - much appreciated! Yes, it would be great if some collectors get in touch. Great to hear there are people quite active over here also Smile

4One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:37 am

theshininglad

Hello! Thought I’d give this a little bump!

Any interest?

Does anyone know of anyone in the UK doing custom painting or hair re-planting? This also might be a good starting point for me.

Many thanks!

5One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:01 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hi there! Apologies, I seem to have missed this post before. I am located in the UK, and while I don't have any figures that I'd be able to send you to photograph at this time (since I need them for my own upcoming photoshoots), I do have a little experience with re-hairing 1/6 heads. I could potentially help with that, depending on how complex of a hairstyle you're talking about. At the very least, I can do a basic long/natural hairstyle for female figures.

For custom re-painting, Mark Simpson is someone I've used in the past. You'd have to contact him to discuss more details. Here's his FB:

https://www.facebook.com/cmot.dibbler.96

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 am

theshininglad

Hi there!

Thanks for the message and sharing the link to Mark. Yes, I'll take a look into this.

Thanks also for the offer re hair. I'll definitely let you know if I need some help in that department!

7One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:24 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
Hello there! I'm also in the UK. To be honest, I would say your best bet for figures for your project is to go the ebay route, I have to be honest, I can't see many people being comfortable 'borrowing' figures. There are certainly enough of us here to offer advice on the best figs and what would work best. The problem is the cost involved, even when kitbashing figures, the price is getting higher, not to mention the fact, we are all attached too our figures Very Happy . I wish you every success in your project!

8One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:30 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, BAM is right that most of us who customise figures are probably too 'attached' to our creations to let others borrow them, lol. That being said, I really am more than happy to help with some (basic) customisation. I am no professional, but I feel fairly confident about rehairing female figures (I've not done as many male figures yet, so I can't vouch for how they'd turn out).

If you wanted someone who has experience with more complicated or experimental styles, forum user Ovy has done some amazing work. He is located in Germany, though, so you'd have to work out the shipping costs, etc.

If you are keen to get started and don't want to wait for long periods (sometimes custom paintjobs can take several months, depending on the artist's availability), I'd suggest starting with a headsculpt that already has a decent paintjob....something like Tbleague or VeryCool, and then just adding real hair to it. The hair alone will make a big difference in increasing the realism for photoshoots.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss things further. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

9One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:11 pm

theshininglad

Thanks for the response! I totally get that these are precious and often bespoke figures that have been very time consuming to produce. Thanks also very much for the offer to re-hair, that's very much appreciated.

I'll definitely check out Ovy. Thanks for the link. I very well might have to PM you so thanks for the offer.

Thanks again.

10One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:52 pm

davidd

davidd
There's more involved in creating photos of action figures than simply having access to a nice-looking figure. Even a detailed figure cannot simply be "plopped down" and look good; quite the contrary, there is a lot of practice required to pose these figures realistically. It takes time and experience to coax a believable pose out of even the nicest, most detailed action figures.

I would recommend acquiring a figure of your own, ideally a "seamless" type figure from Phicen/TBLeague or Jiaou, with which to work to get some hands-on experience in manipulating and posing these figures.

I would suggest you visit the Giantoy website to select a figure. Giantoy is based in China, but shipping to the UK or the US is prompt and reliable. They offer a wide variety of currently available action figures.

https://giantoy.com/collections/jiaou-doll

https://giantoy.com/collections/tbleague-body

https://giantoy.com/

As you'll note, many of the newer figures are offered as a "pre-order" status, meaning they are not in stock. Wait times after placing a pre-order can be extensive, often a year or more. Even stock figures can be relatively expensive, without factoring in the cost and time involved in further customization. Considering wait times and prices, you can see why most collectors might be hesitant to offer figures "on loan."

Your initial query is somewhat unclear. Are you hoping to "borrow" figures for your own photo project? Or are you looking to work directly with an experienced collector-customizer who can assist you in setting up the figures, posing the figures and working up scenes under your direction?

11One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Really, your best bet is making friends with someone who has a few sixth-scale sets and/or bashes and lives reasonably nearby, so you can hang out and set up your photoshoots together. That way you would have access to more, including someone who already knows what can be gotten out of these figures and who, in turn, may benefit from your photography. Where in UK are you? That might be a way to make the necessary connections.

12One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Chip

GubernatorFan wrote:Really, your best bet is making friends with someone who has a few sixth-scale sets and/or bashes and lives reasonably nearby, so you can hang out and set up your photoshoots together. That way you would have access to more, including someone who already knows what can be gotten out of these figures and who, in turn, may benefit from your photography. Where in UK are you? That might be a way to make the necessary connections.

Think Ian offers you the best advice here .

13One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:21 pm

theshininglad

Thanks for all the responses. I'm located in Brighton.

14One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:49 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
theshininglad wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I'm located in Brighton.

Well it is for our members to speak up and volunteer, not for me to point them out and play matchmaker. Smile The ones that I know the (general) location of are nowhere near Brighton. But maybe there are others, or these would like a trip to the beach. That is the one beach in Britain (which I realize is an island), right? Smile

15One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Fri May 12, 2023 12:49 am

londonroadhog

I know I am a little late to the conversation, but I'd offer to collaborate, I have quite a few 1/6 Phicen/TBLeague figures, and tons of clothing. I am a photographer too, well I wouldn't say a professional photographer, but I know quite a bit, and have a fair amount of kit. I also build diorama's for them, even a Photo Studio, LOL

The downside, is I am in North West London, so about 1.5 to 2 hours from Brighton. Most of my 1/6 photography is done in my attic office in my home, rather than out and about. I've occasionally gone to the local park for a small shoot during the weekday when there aren't too many people about.

16One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Sat May 13, 2023 8:53 am

theshininglad

Thanks for the response Smile

Not too late at all. No problem re London. I’m sure we can work something out. Could always hire a studio if need be.

I’ll PM you.

Thanks!

17One Sixth Photoshoot Empty Re: One Sixth Photoshoot Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:36 am

Trazmatix

While I don't have figures that I would be willing to lend, I am a UK-based Photographer based in Surrey. I developed an interest in TBLeague while buying supplies for fashion doll custom clothing projects. I am hoping to also create clothes for TBLeague bodies.

I would be open to keeping in touch with like-minded individuals such as yourself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum