OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Valiarde

Wow what a cool and extensive review! I always love your passion here, Ian. Smile

Great pics, especially the backdrops you used here. I like the comparison pics to the source. I agree, I think the outfit is a bit too clean and personally I think the sewing stitches look a bit too big on 1/6 to convince me. (Not sure it is possible here to go smaller?)

I'm not a fan of the hair but yeah most hot toys collectors prefer this over doll hair. Moveable eyes are cool, but not for everyone I know.

Allotropos

fantastic review !

I only bought parts from the older version but based on the comparison between old and new, combining the good from both into one would have made it the perfect piece.

I like the older (more streamline) boots compared with the newer bulkier pair but would take the skintone, head and hands from the new one which is far superior.

skywalkersaga

GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:This looks really good, better than I was expecting, in fact. Thanks so much for the in-depth review and photos!
Thank you very much, Sky, I'm glad you liked it/them.

Really appreciate the time and thought you put into your reviews.I love you I apologise if my replies to threads these days are a bit quick, I have a new job and I'm extremely busy. So if I don't respond right away, or if my comments are less in-depth than usual, that's why. ;p

Ovy

Thorough work sir. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but as always, great review.

The set ups, dioramas (dioramae?) and backdrops work really well to catch the atmosphere. The 'Luke, it's a trap!' scene catches the atmosphere really well.

The orange underlight of the base really ties the room together. Bespin has a really beautiful and timeless light design. I think it's important to have that kind of light available on display, as we mostly see this rendition of the character in those lighting conditions.
The overall atmosphere of the scene scared me as a little kid.

I like that you make the beautiful stitching of the jacket's lower back part shine in the last photo.

You wrote about the possibility for cross eyed look, but sadly the picture of a cross eyed Luke you surely attached is not showing.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Wow what a cool and extensive review! I always love your passion here, Ian. Smile

Great pics, especially the backdrops you used here. I like the comparison pics to the source. I agree, I think the outfit is a bit too clean and personally I think the sewing stitches look a bit too big on 1/6 to convince me. (Not sure it is possible here to go smaller?)

I'm not a fan of the hair but yeah most hot toys collectors prefer this over doll hair. Moveable eyes are cool, but not for everyone I know.
Thank you very much, Simon, I'm delighted you enjoyed it/them. And that you agree (though you don't have to). The stitches are finer than on their first try (DX07), but can they ever be fine enough? Regarding the hair, I agree in principle, although in this instance the hair is short enough for me not to insist on "real" hair. Consider these Luke-look-alikes with "real" hair by HT, to gauge the potential level of accuracy or skill, in an old response to one of my Star Wars stories:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3178-star-wars-a-silver-linings-story-original-trilogy-updated-with-extra-photos#41951

Allotropos wrote:fantastic review !

I only bought parts from the older version but based on the comparison between old and new, combining the good from both into one would have made it the perfect piece.

I like the older (more streamline) boots compared with the newer bulkier pair but would take the skintone, head and hands from the new one which is far superior.
Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I tend to get parted out parts mostly these days, and that was the case with what I got from their first installment too. I agree with your assessment. The older boots have much to recommend them. Some wonder how well the pleather or rubbery material of the new ones would hold up. On the other hand, I've had some scuffing/pealing on the old felt-like ones... so who knows?

skywalkersaga wrote:Really appreciate the time and thought you put into your reviews.I love you  I apologise if my replies to threads these days are a bit quick, I have a new job and I'm extremely busy. So if I don't respond right away, or if my comments are less in-depth than usual, that's why. ;p
Thank you very much, that is good to hear and appreciated. But please don't apologize -- I'm glad things are going well (I assume) for you and congratulate you on the new job (send some my way, LOL). This is just meant to be informative and (hopefully) enjoyable.

Ovy wrote:Thorough work sir. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but as always, great review.

The set ups, dioramas (dioramae?) and backdrops work really well to catch the atmosphere. The 'Luke, it's a trap!' scene catches the atmosphere really well.

The orange underlight of the base really ties the room together. Bespin has a really beautiful and timeless light design. I think it's important to have that kind of light available on display, as we mostly see this rendition of the character in those lighting conditions.
The overall atmosphere of the scene scared me as a little kid.

I like that you make the beautiful stitching of the jacket's lower back part shine in the last photo.

You wrote about the possibility for cross eyed look, but sadly the picture of a cross eyed Luke you surely attached is not showing.
Thank you very much, I'm delighted you liked it, and appreciate your kind words.
Few of the elements here were true dioramas/physical 3D objects, but I'm glad you approve. The "Luke, it's a trap" part was, and all I had to work with was that one narrow Bespin Leia stand backdrop, a Spanish chocolates box, and some foam pieces, so I'm especially flattered by your approval.
Also glad you noticed my effort to depict the costume more fully, even in that last photo.
As for the cross-eyed look, ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find.
Here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t7120-newly-discovered-deleted-scene-from-the-empire-strikes-back

(in other words, you made me do it; it's not blame-casting, you are, not for the first time, my muse, in a sense)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum