OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sewing - Corset

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sewing - Corset Empty Sewing - Corset Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:13 pm

JosephineSixx

When I took these pictures, I wasn't really planning to make a tutorial, but I think others might find it useful. So here's my "almost tutorial" for making a corset.

Model is Josephine, my TBLeague S39 (Plus Size) in Suntan. 

First, I had to make a pattern, which I did not get pictures of. I will try to make another post at some point on how I made my pattern. I did this from scratch because her body proportions are so disproportionate.

Sewing - Corset Img_2012

After making the pattern, I cut 1 of each piece, flipped the pattern and cut another 1 of each piece. This will be the left and right sides. Leave room for seam allowances. I wanted this floral print because I love the tiny flowers and I think it would make a nice Victorian era outfit.

Sewing - Corset Img_2010
Sewing - Corset Img_2011

I decided I wanted a different color for the inside to make it reversible. I compared a few fabrics and chose this blue. I cut out the pieces the same way for the blue pieces. I didn't get pictures, but all the following steps are exactly the same for the floral and the blue.

Sewing - Corset Img_2013
Sewing - Corset Img_2014
Starting with the cup darts, I hand stitched each piece. Work from the center to one side, then the other side, leave the back open. You could leave the front open to lace up, use hook and eyes, install a tiny zipper, but for this particular item, I wanted it closed.

Sewing - Corset Img_2017

Check the fit, make adjustments if needed and iron down the seams. The left and right back panels were folded in half and a narrow strip of iron on hem tape was used to slightly stiffen. Complete the outer and inner layers the same way. (Inner layer not shown. 

Sewing - Corset Img_2020
Sew inner and outer layers together, check fitting, make adjustments if needed and press. I used a rolled up washcloth to carefully press the bust and other rounded areas.

Sewing - Corset Img_2018Sewing - Corset Img_2019
For the closure, I ordered 1mm eyelets. They sent extras to practice with, so here's my practice piece.

Sewing - Corset Img_2023Sewing - Corset Img_2022
I installed the tiny grommets, tested out the lacing and fit. Satisfied, I replaced the thread with a thicker cord.

Sewing - Corset Img_2024
Finished product with a simple camisole underneath.

2Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive work! Thanks for sharing.

3Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:16 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Very nice sewing work. She looks great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Sewing - Corset 1f10

4Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:13 am

Diana

Diana
Wooooow, thank you thank you thank you! You make it look very doable and it feels a little less daunting now, as I've been meaning to start making some outfits (for YEARS!). Very Happy 

When you write "press", did you mean pressing the two layers together?
Onto the body or on a table? (What's the purpose of "pressing"? That way I can figure out the sensible details of "how" myself...)
What type of stitches do you use for sewing the parts together?
Same type for sewing the two layers together?

What type of fabric is that? Looks like the edges don't fray when cut...

I love you

5Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:24 am

JosephineSixx

Diana wrote:Wooooow, thank you thank you thank you! You make it look very doable and it feels a little less daunting now, as I've been meaning to start making some outfits (for YEARS!). Very Happy 

Onto the body or on a table? (What's the purpose of "pressing"? That way I can figure out the sensible details of "how" myself...)

I love you
Press with a iron on a table covered with a very slightly damp towel or washcloth. It helps to set the seams so they don't try to come loose, and helps to piece lay flat instead of ballooned out. 

The stitch I used is just a regular running stich for most of it, making as small a stich as I could. I sewed the two pieces together inside out along top and bottom, then turned it right side out to hide the seams. I used heat fused hem tape to seal the two back pieces together, then the tiny grommets.

The fabric is just a regular cotton that is usually used in things like quilts.

6Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:21 am

Diana

Diana
JosephineSixx wrote:
Diana wrote:Wooooow, thank you thank you thank you! You make it look very doable and it feels a little less daunting now, as I've been meaning to start making some outfits (for YEARS!). Very Happy 

I love you
Press with a iron on a table covered with a very slightly damp towel or washcloth. It helps to set the seams so they don't try to come loose, and helps to piece lay flat instead of ballooned out. 

The stitch I used is just a regular running stich for most of it, making as small a stich as I could. I sewed the two pieces together inside out along top and bottom, then turned it right side out to hide the seams. I used heat fused hem tape to seal the two back pieces together, then the tiny grommets.

The fabric is just a regular cotton that is usually used in things like quilts.

Thank you!!! I love you I love you I love you

7Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:20 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Really fantastic, detailed work! Thanks for the tutorial, and beautiful results!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Curious how the grommets work. Do you have to hammer them down once put through the fabric?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Sewing - Corset 1f10

9Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Amazing work JosephineSixx, looks fantastic and very impressive whipping up a pattern that is not straightforward! You have inspired me to order some supplies - 1mm grommets and the setting tool etc, as I have pondered this before from an Etsy seller who sells lots of tiny doll-sized clothes making stuff - yours looks so good, I will bravely give it a go. Thank you!

10Sewing - Corset Empty Re: Sewing - Corset Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:26 pm

JosephineSixx

Stryker2012 wrote:Curious how the grommets work. Do you have to hammer them down once put through the fabric?
Yes, there is a setting tool you need to use and a small rubber mallet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum