OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sewing custom 1/6 clothes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Empty Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:59 am

baycon

baycon
I'm going to try hand sewing for the first time, but I've got no idea where to start. I don't have a sewing machine and I don't plan to buy one at the moment. May I ask for some advice?

Thanks!

2Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Empty Re: Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:41 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hi there! I guess I would have to ask what sort of clothing are you attempting to make? The first thing would be to figure out the materials you need for the particular outfit(s) you are hoping to create. Fabric, pins, needle, thread, etc. Fabric glue could come in handy, too, depending on what you are doing. Then you need a pattern of some kind, or you need to create a pattern so you can cut out the fabric in the right shape(s). You can then look up what sort of stitches to use, depending on what you are making. If you are doing something that requires lots of hemming, perhaps consider investing in a small clothing iron as this can help things lay more flat at the smaller scale.

But it would first help to know what you are trying to make, so I could give more specific advice. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Empty Re: Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I hand sew a lot. Learned as a kid — came in handy over the years.

Making a pattern is fairly essential, like sky said. You can get this thin material (it’s almost sheer) called “batting” that works great to make “cloth” patterns as tests to see if the size is right. I use Scotch Taoe to assemble it on a figure and make adjustments as needed. (I use this stuff AFTER I draw the pattern out on scrap paper.) DO NOT use marker or pen to write on this stuff as it will bleed through onto the figure. Use a pencil very lightly, and be sure to NOT put the pencil marked side toward the figure.

If you want the stitching hidden, you’ll have to work from the inside out. When hand sewing I find a “back stitch” is the strongest. If you’re unfamiliar with hand sewing in general, I’m sure there are video tutorials on YouTube to see how to do it, including how to thread a needle and “tie” it off.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Sewing custom 1/6 clothes C8485110

4Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Empty Re: Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:00 pm

baycon

baycon
Hi sky, I'd like to make an outfit for s38 similar to the pics below. The color doesn't need to match the pics.

But I'd like some modifications. First is adding buttons to the top, similar to a dress shirt. Then, making it longer so that it can be tucked in the pants.

Then a pair of pants that will fit s38, instead of shorts.

Finally, I'd like to add a matching short cloak (not sure if it's the correct term) similar to the fourth pic, but with thinner material.

Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Screen11
Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Screen10
Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Screen12
Sewing custom 1/6 clothes Screen13

Hi Stryker, thanks for the tips about making patterns. I have lots of really old clothes that became thin after lots of washing. Can I use them as substitute for batting, since I'm not using them anymore?

What are the steps in drawing a pattern on paper from scratch? Do I wrap the paper around the figure and lightly draw lines on where the seams are supposed to be?

I also just checked some stitching tutorials and tried doing some on an old shirt. Learning it was easier than expected, but mastering it seems like it would take lots of practice. Oh and one tutorial said that back stitch is fun to do, and I totally agree.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum