OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Okay, so some of you guys may remember I created a rock archway sometime back. Lots of you asked me how I did it, but like so many others, I always forget to take pictures as I go, and a lot of stuff I make is on the fly. However, this time when I set out to create a rock wall, I remembered to take pictures. So here we go!

The archway.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. 53412034165_6f1e6a8f7b_c

Creating the rock wall.

The archway will be made mostly from junk I had laying around. The first thing I need was to use up old cardboard that I had.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-1

I filled up the sink with very hot water and left the cardboard to soak for about 45 seconds to a minute to become pliable. For some reason, the hotter the water the easier the cardboad becomes to shape?

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-2

Once I'd squeezed the cardboard in to a rockish shape and forced of the water out, you end up with something like this.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-3
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. A-4

Simply repeat the process for as man rock pieces as you need for your wall. Then leave to dry.

Another great pain in the butt to get rid of is polystyrene (or Styrofoam, as it's known in the U.S.). It's not great for making walls as it disintegrates as you shape it. However, it does make great rock shapes if you start to snap it off in chunks. In these next few pictures, you can see where I glued the polystyrene as well as the cardboard to a piece of hardboard (very hing wood that can be cut with a craft knife). Once glued. again, leave to dry.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. B-1
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. B-2
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-1
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-2

Once dry, you mix up some paper mache. I used about 70% glue to 30% water, but everyone's different in their own approach to this. I used tissue as opposed to newspaper to cover all the polystyrene and cardboard. It's messy, but great fun. Once done, again leave to dry.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. BB-3
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. C-2
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. D-1
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. D-2

Once dry, you should have so

Something like this,

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. E

The next stage is to base coat black. I painted mine with a brush, but spray would be just as effective.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. F

The next stage is to dry brush the whole thing in shades of grey. Starting from a very dark grey, eventually working your way up to an extremely light grey. This will create the rock texture look. Sadly, this is where I forgot to do pictures of the various colour stages. But here is the final stage after a light grey dry-brushing. I used a paint brush, and acrylic art paints. The wall is actually double sided, so it was a long process, but I think well worth it.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-1
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-2

The next few pics I added a figure to give an idea of scale.

BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-3
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-4
 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. G-5

All I need to do now, is add some grass flock to the wall, which I will take pictures of when it arrives, as well as the how to. I hope you guys found this helpful, and maybe, you'll have a try yourselves? Thanks for looking!

2 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:11 am

Diana

Diana
This is great, thank you!! Very Happy

Did you have different uses for the card board and polystyrene? Or do you mix them? It looks like you put the pieces of polystyrene on top of the card board pieces, but why? Smile

I actually really like the look of the cardboard pieces the most and would hope to ignore the step with the paper towel, as I can't unsee those textures. Total newbie at crafts question: Wouldn't it suffice to just use card box pieces on a board? Or is it the polystyrene that gives it the strength for the double sided choice?

Nice picture of... the archway! cyclops

And I've added this topic to the TUTORIALS TOC.

3 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Diana wrote:This is great, thank you!! Very Happy

Did you have different uses for the card board and polystyrene? Or do you mix them? It looks like you put the pieces of polystyrene on top of the card board pieces, but why? Smile

I actually really like the look of the cardboard pieces the most and would hope to ignore the step with the paper towel, as I can't unsee those textures. Total newbie at crafts question: Wouldn't it suffice to just use card box pieces on a board? Or is it the polystyrene that gives it the strength for the double sided choice?

Nice picture of... the archway! cyclops

And I've added this topic to the TUTORIALS TOC.

Really pleased you enjoyed it Diana Very Happy As for the difference uses, nah, I just had loads of it laying around and decided to mix them up. I did the same thing with the archway. If you wanted to use just cardboard or indeed just polystyrene that would work too. The reason for the paper mache is it does add extra strength to the structure as well as making it easier to paint. The problem with the white polystyrene is it doesn't like paint, especially spray as it disintegrates Rolling Eyes . At the end of the day though, I don't believe there is any right way to do. I would be keen to see your experiments with the wet cardboard shapes, glued to a board then painted. I hope you have a go and post the results, I'd be really keen to see how it turned out bounce Again, thank you for stopping by to look and comment Very Happy .
Thanks for the reshuffle Diana, I wasn't sure where to put it Wink .

4 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:55 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, very impressive and effective. Thank you for the photos, detailed description, and additional explanation. Great job, Dal!

5 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:Wow, very impressive and effective. Thank you for the photos, detailed description, and additional explanation. Great job, Dal!

Very Happy Thanks Ian! really pleased you enjoyed the how to. I usually forget to take pics as I go Smile .

6 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Wow, very impressive and effective. Thank you for the photos, detailed description, and additional explanation. Great job, Dal!

Very Happy Thanks Ian! really pleased you enjoyed the how to. I usually forget to take pics as I go Smile .
Me too!

7 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:
BAMComix wrote:

Me too!

lol!

8 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:50 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice tutorial, Dal. It's always a pleasure to see how such Projects Progress through the different stages. Very cool ideas to generate rock-like surface structures. 👍👍👍

9 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:19 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Great progress pictures thank you, it’s amazing what can be done with some bits and pieces! Looking forward to seeing the flocking/moss…

10 BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Empty Re: BAMBuilds - Creating a rock wall. Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:23 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Randam Hajile wrote:Very nice tutorial, Dal. It's always a pleasure to see how such Projects Progress through the different stages. Very cool ideas to generate rock-like surface structures. 👍👍👍

Tanzenwolfe wrote:Great progress pictures thank you, it’s amazing what can be done with some bits and pieces! Looking forward to seeing the flocking/moss…

Thanks so much guys! I hope you guys find it useful, and maybe be tempted to have a go too, if not perhaps on the same scale Very Happy .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum