OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Styling a figurine with real hair

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Styling a figurine with real hair Wed May 08, 2024 2:38 pm

French

French
Maybe this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it. I just found the subject explaining that you can wet the "hair" to restyle the figurine
I saw on the Internet someone who restyled their figurines with a toothbrush? Is this really the right tool? And if so, should it be soft, medium or hard?

2Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Wed May 08, 2024 5:43 pm

Tasuke

Tasuke

I Used "Fray-Check" Fabric Adhesive (Found in the Fabric Dept. of your local WAL-MART) to style the rooted hair of my old 1990's TAKARA "Tenchi Muyo!" Ayeka Jurai;

- Before -

Styling a figurine with real hair Ayeka_TAKARA_12-23-23_(2)

Styling a figurine with real hair Ayeka_TAKARA_12-23-23_(5)

- After -

Styling a figurine with real hair Ayeka_1-10-24_1_RESIZE_40

Styling a figurine with real hair Ayeka_1-10-24_3_RESIZE_40

Styling a figurine with real hair 01_A1_-_Ayeka_12-24-23_1

3Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Wed May 08, 2024 5:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
French wrote:Maybe this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it. I just found the subject explaining that you can wet the "hair" to restyle the figurine
I saw on the Internet someone who restyled their figurines with a toothbrush? Is this really the right tool? And if so, should it be soft, medium or hard?
I don't know about toothbrushes as a tool for this. If the hair is an organic material, you can style it easily with hair gel or conditioner. If it is synthetic (more typical for mass-produced heads), I have read that you can submerge the hair into hot water and then style (to some extent) while still warm.

4Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Wed May 08, 2024 7:57 pm

Gwebberarts

Gwebberarts
French wrote:Maybe this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it. I just found the subject explaining that you can wet the "hair" to restyle the figurine

While I think personally the synthetic hair on these figures is a bit courser than Barbie hair, theres a ton of how to videos on YouTube for styling synthetic Barbie hair and Im sure plenty for styling wool hair and others.

5Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Thu May 09, 2024 2:59 am

French

French
The problem is when you attach the head to the neck, sometimes you have to press hard and I mess up the figurine.
That's why I'm looking for methods comb your hair, to style your hair well.

Thank you for your answers.

6Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Thu May 09, 2024 5:41 pm

Gwebberarts

Gwebberarts
French wrote:The problem is when you attach the head to the neck, sometimes you have to press hard and I mess up the figurine.
That's why I'm looking for methods comb your hair,  to style your hair well.

Thank you for your answers.

For combing the hair (assuming it’s been styled) a little after getting the head no the body, some have suggested a soft paint brush and using a bit of Hair Wax to smooth and hold flyway hairs and such.

Hair wax is generally water soluble so washing it out is need be isn’t a problem. I have not tried this myself yet, but i plan too try it ..note, some hair wax is “high gloss”, some are medium to very little shine, so pick what works for you.

7Styling a figurine with real hair Empty Re: Styling a figurine with real hair Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 am

Zes

Zes
Water will usually get the job done. Then you can use a toothpick, tweezers, or something like that to adjust the hair. If the hair is rooted, then you can just use a doll hair comb to easily style it.

I second the suggestion to use hair wax, though that is only really needed to complex hairstyles. I use this product by Dollfie (Volks).

https://volksusa.store/collections/wig-care/products/dollfie-water-wax

This little container goes a long way. I've had mine for years now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum