OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 39]

Skippy

It was looking at these photos this morning that encouraged me to start on the stairs:

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 Bibfor10

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 Jabba_10

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Asta, when posting more than three pics (as I do on all those New Product threads), you don’t have to re-edit each thread.

Select three pics., “send” those, “insert all”, then “remove” them from the selection window. Stay in that window and select the next three, and continue the process. It’s a little time consuming, but it works. Just don’t move your cursor from where you want the pictures to go.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Man, seeing Oola sitting there in that photo really makes me want to add her.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I have some of those 3.75" figures too, but haven't dug them out since I moved, so wasn't sure if it was them. Bib Fortuna and Boba Fett are my only Jabba-related sixth-scale figures, and the others I've considered getting have been just too pricey. So I will have to live vicariously through you. The stairs and Jabba-related sixth-scale figures look great. You've made a great start and your impending Jabba will look great with them. You could have estimated the throne's height by scaling a photo to the known dimensions (insofar as such a photo was available) and working from that as an approximation.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Asta, when posting more than three pics (as I do on all those New Product threads), you don’t have to re-edit each thread.

Select three pics., “send” those, “insert all”, then “remove” them from the selection window. Stay in that window and select the next three, and continue the process. It’s a little time consuming, but it works. Just don’t move your cursor from where you want the pictures to go.

Thanks for the tip.

GubernatorFan wrote:I have some of those 3.75" figures too, but haven't dug them out since I moved, so wasn't sure if it was them. Bib Fortuna and Boba Fett are my only Jabba-related sixth-scale figures, and the others I've considered getting have been just too pricey. So I will have to live vicariously through you. The stairs and Jabba-related sixth-scale figures look great. You've made a great start and your impending Jabba will look great with them. You could have estimated the throne's height by scaling a photo to the known dimensions (insofar as such a photo was available) and working from that as an approximation.

I guesstimated based on various photos. But Sideshow's throne dimensions may not be accurate, because they have Jabba listed as 13 1/2" tall, but he looks shorter (as he should be).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, I wonder if they mean he is 13 1/2” tall on the base...?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 C8485110

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:You could have estimated the throne's height by scaling a photo to the known dimensions (insofar as such a photo was available) and working from that as an approximation.

Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah, I wonder if they mean he is 13 1/2” tall on the base...?

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 Sidesh10

In this photo the top of the throne looks to be level with the bottom of the upper blue bar on the Sideshow R2-D2. I measured the identical figure and it came to 5".

So the throne appears to be 5" from base to top.

It's hard to judge Jabba's height because the photo is from a low angle and sloping sideways, and he's sitting further back. Ideally he should be 11 1/2".

It looks like he could be a little shorter than Threepio there, which would make him right.

Here's a photo by Shawn Collette on the One Sixth Society Facebook page:

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50115385_10161273449240511_7274845400152932352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1

blackpool

blackpool
wow!!! such a masterpiece! thanks for sharing the pics, that is one iconic beast! And I thought my blackseries jabba was fat lmao

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Just ordered a pre-owned Sideshow Bib Fortuna off eBay for $48 shipped to go with this guy (thanks again, Guv); he’s missing one accessory (Jabba’s snack) and the original stand — I can live without both. So now I definitely need to make a diorama of the alcove.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Just ordered a pre-owned Sideshow Bib Fortuna off eBay for $48 shipped to go with this guy (thanks again, Guv); he’s missing one accessory (Jabba’s snack) and the original stand — I can live without both. So now I definitely need to make a diorama of the alcove.

That's a good price because he's still a very respectable looking figure by today's standards.

I cut an MDF backboard today as another stage in giving Jabba a home.

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 100_8211

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:That's a good price because he's still a very respectable looking figure by today's standards.

I cut an MDF backboard today as another stage in giving Jabba a home.

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 100_8211

Thanks.

Are you going to add anything to the back, like an image of that (whatever it was) thing behind Jabba? I wonder if Twelveinchfigures made a backdrop image of that deeper part of the alcove.

I measured an unused wall/floor in my Man-Cave and I have a 57” space that I can put a side-table to make a dio — gives me an extra 27” of space to play with, based on Sideshow’s measurements of this piece.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:
Thanks.

Are you going to add anything to the back, like an image of that (whatever it was) thing behind Jabba? I wonder if Twelveinchfigures made a backdrop image of that deeper part of the alcove.

I measured an unused wall/floor in my Man-Cave and I have a 57” space that I can put a side-table to make a dio — gives me an extra 27” of space to play with, based on Sideshow’s measurements of this piece.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I think the thing behind him was a roasting spit.

The shelf is 9 foot long, but only 18" deep, so the diorama will be like an opened out version of the palace. All characters will be to the side of the throne. But it means that Jabba will be a focal point, unobstructed by figures.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta, I hope it makes little or no difference, but it looks to me like the top of Jabba's throne in that photo is level with the middle blue bar on R2D2. You are right about the roasting pit. Perhaps you could paint one (or have one printed and attached to the back board).

Stryker, congratulations, may he look great next to your Jabba. If memory serves, Jabba will be coming with his own snacks, so you will still be able to have Bib feed him one right in the mouth. Smile

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Asta, I hope it makes little or no difference, but it looks to me like the top of Jabba's throne in that photo is level with the middle blue bar on R2D2. You are right about the roasting pit. Perhaps you could paint one (or have one printed and attached to the back board).

To gauge the height I put a ruler against the screen, following the line of the throne. The photo is on an angle so the throne rises to the left. It won't make significant difference as that back stair can be reduced in height as they're only resting on blocks. I really just wanted to get on and get things started.

Going to clad the brick buttress next, then put in the back board in the next section. Over time I may make things more elaborate.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's not a bad idea, Asta. It's always difficult to set these things up on a shelf. I want to be able to highlight as many characters as possible, but unfortunately it never seems to work out that way. So many of them get overshadowed as they hide in the background (even though I put them on risers). Plus, I don't keep the lights on on my shelves all the time. So, whenever I want to look at them, I end up turning on 4 different surge protectors, stand there like an idiot for several minutes staring at them, wondering how I can jam JUST ONE MORE figure, then turn all the lights off.

I thought the same thing after reading Michael's review and going back over the eBay listing, Guv. I figured since the new Jabba comes with a snack that he can hold, it didn't really matter that Bib had one or not. And for that price, it was hard to pass up (particularly since others are asking over a $100 or more for him). It's funny, Bib isn't really a character I was all that interested in getting, but having Jabba without him just seems weird; just like I'd like to have a Gamorrean Guard to go with a Slave Leia (somehow it just feels right) - but I can't justify $300 or more for one (not when I've been holding out getting Gladiator Hulk because I thought it was over-priced by about $100).

I checked TwelveInchFigures website, and oddly he doesn't have a Jabba background in his inventory (maybe with this new figure he'll make one). I kind of thought that was a roasting spit, but it was never all that clear in the movie. Found some screen caps from the Battlefront video game where all of that is much clearer. I also found a slew more pictures of a 3.75" diorama of Jabba's palace (it has lights, a lot more detail on the walls, etc.) -- pretty amazing stuff. The guy who made it even made the floor grating retractable, and has a trap-door for Oola and Luke to fall through. Impressive looking to say the least. I don't plan on going that far out, but the stairs, the arch, and part of side alcoves would be cool to have.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:That's not a bad idea, Asta. It's always difficult to set these things up on a shelf. I want to be able to highlight as many characters as possible, but unfortunately it never seems to work out that way. So many of them get overshadowed as they hide in the background (even though I put them on risers). Plus, I don't keep the lights on on my shelves all the time. So, whenever I want to look at them, I end up turning on 4 different surge protectors, stand there like an idiot for several minutes staring at them, wondering how I can jam JUST ONE MORE figure, then turn all the lights off.

My cases are crowded too, but I prefer that to a clinical display. The advantage is that every now and then I can rearrange them so different figures come to the fore.

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, just wow, to all yer pics peoples! Asta, wow! The thing about being new to this hobby is, I had no idea how detailed ya'all can get! Love it!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
We'll see "how detailed..." when it actually comes to building something. My "ideas" rarely match my ambition -- or abilities. Sometimes I "think" I'm going to make something epic... and then it turns out less than I would like. Embarassed

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta (or anyone else who might find it interesting):

If you haven't seen this diorama of Jabba's palace, check out this link to a WIP/Finished throne room created by "Jess" a member of the Rebelscum forum back in 2016, for the 3/75" Star Wars figures. Truly amazing work:

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1130892

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Asta (or anyone else who might find it interesting):

If you haven't seen this diorama of Jabba's palace, check out this link to a WIP/Finished throne room created by "Jess" a member of the Rebelscum forum back in 2016, for the 3/75" Star Wars figures. Truly amazing work:

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1130892

That is an incredible recreation. I got to the thirteenth page before a database error kicked in, so the site's down now.

The limit of my own short term ambition is to make the stairs for the other end of the throne!

EDIT: It allowed me to get to the end. That is a truly amazing diorama. Some of the photos you couldn't tell from the real thing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:That is a truly amazing diorama. Some of the photos you couldn't tell from the real thing.

I know, right. And to be able to get that much detail at that size is astounding. I myself wasn’t planning anything that elaborate. And to think he even made the Rancor pit beneath it. It’s unfortunate there weren’t any further updates past the start of the pit, would have been cool to see the whole thing (I hope nothing tragic happened to make him stop).

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I know, right. And to be able to get that much detail at that size is astounding. I myself wasn’t planning anything that elaborate. And to think he even made the Rancor pit beneath it. It’s unfortunate there weren’t any further updates past the start of the pit, would have been cool to see the whole thing (I hope nothing tragic happened to make him stop).

That's a true labour of love. So much minute detail.

And the end presumably hasn't been written yet. What a cliffhanger to leave it on!

Maybe they just needed take a break from it to preserve their sanity? Very Happy

I'm more about the quick fix, using up materials I have on hand. Jabba's dais is the beginning of a diorama in itself, so at the least I wanted to enclose it with the steps on either side, which means other figures can get closer to him at varying heights.

Ovy

Ovy
1/6 Drogon/Jabba Headswap would look nice.

Beautiful Dio.

Do you know this old weird music video about Jabba's dais?
https://youtu.be/sTwEVq6VtgA

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Bib Fortuna showed up today. He definitely looks better in hand than he does in a lot of photos — must be lighting washing out his “skin”. Still hope Sideshow revisits him and a Gamorrean Guard; I sent them a Suggestion for them on their site.

Skippy

A few more people have been receiving their Jabbas, and posting photos and a video on Let Your Geek Sideshow.

A couple have said that Jabba and the throne are heavy, with one claiming 30 lbs in total, yet the one who posted the video said both pieces were quite light and hollow. When he accidentally knocked the throne against Jabba it was more of a hollow sound than a dense clunk.

Either way this looks like a quality release from Sideshow.

The unboxing video:

https://www.facebook.com/Badfish01/videos/10213071194509919/

I don't know how to post the video here, but to view it I presume you'd have to be a member of the group.

Meanwhile, Jabba's little brother is keeping his place warm while eagerly awaiting his arrival.

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 100_8212

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 100_8213

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Not on Facebook, so I can’t see the video. Bummer.

I’ve been searching for a cheap (but sturdy) entryway table big enough to support a two-tiered display (one for Star Wars and the other for Lord of the Rings), but haven’t found anything the right size. Probably have to build it myself; have more than enough materials to do the job, but it’ll be about a year before I can do it. Poor Jabba’s going to be sitting in his box for a long time after inspection.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Not on Facebook, so I can’t see the video. Bummer.

Here are some of the latest photos:

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50107910

starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50333810starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50078611
starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50397910
starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50448610
starwars -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 2 50849810

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool. Thanks for sharing those, Asta. Jabba looks great. Salacious is a little thick in the limbs, but I can live with it. He needs to change Leia’s Pose — not very lady-like. That’s quite the collection.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Cool. Thanks for sharing those, Asta. Jabba looks great. Salacious is a little thick in the limbs, but I can live with it. He needs to change Leia’s Pose — not very lady-like. That’s quite the collection.

I prefer the original Salacious, so will probably use him instead.

Thought the same thing about Leia. Laughing

EDIT:

Let Your Geek Sideshow told the poster to delete any photo in which that Leia appeared due to the Sideshow's group rules:

...we don't allow anyone to post customs, whether they are also promoting Sideshow or not. We catch things as soon as we can and deal with them individually.

No Custom Pieces
While we appreciate the passion, artistry and effort that goes into creating custom pieces, we are unable to legally host photos or discussions of them in this group. Please refrain from posting custom figures as it violates the intellectual property laws which have been entrusted to us to protect.

A previous poster also had their photos removed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 39]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum