OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My second ever Diorama

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My second ever Diorama Empty My second ever Diorama Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:27 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Hey folks, I'm back with my second diorama!

I apologize in advance if anyone is disappointed in there not being any WIP pics, but honestly I kinda just got up and went for it. I may have some in my phone, so I will try to find them and post them as a reply to this, but I am not gonna worry about it. Moving on to the main event!

The dimensions are as follows:

Width: 14 inches
Depth: 11 inches
Height: 16.5 inches

Theme: Purple Butterfly

Character: Ayane (DOA)

Cost: Approx. $100 (maybe a bit less)

You all have seen the custom figure of Ayane (from DOA) that I posted awhile back, but if not that thread can be found here and the flickr album here. That aside, I decided that my next diorama would be her's, but I was just not sure what to do. On one hand, her theme is pretty straight forward: purple and butterflies. On the other, I had no clue where to even start with that.

Then I was killing some time at the local craft store when I saw it: a laser cut wooden butterfly. The best part? It cost $4. Win! Ultimately I bought 3 of them (I sat on one on accident, doing to it much the same as would have happened if it were a real butterfly  Shocked ). My brain started rolling from there.

Within a day or so I found myself thinking something along the lines of a more traditional action/adventure video game, where you're wandering around a level when suddenly you step on a specific spot and it lights up and a spot on the wall lights up. Yeah, sure, DOA is a fighting game, but frankly I thought this worked well for a sorta "in-between scenes and fights" sorta thing.

In Kasumi's dio I used LEDs and handmade lanterns for the lighting. This time around I used side glow fiber optic filament (really just solid yet flexible plastic tubing) to do the lighting. I went with violet LEDs for the lighting, but it just didn't have the ooomph to get through the 20+ inches of filament. Even using one at each end didn't do enough. I ran this by a friend and I asked what should the second color be that I use, figuring that a different color (with a more robust wavelength) would do the trick. He suggested red, as it still fit the theme. So I ran with it, and I loved it the moment I tested it out.

I was smart this time and used insulation foam (the pink stuff at home depot) for the base and the back wall. I used lessons I learned from Oiler's Workshop (seriously check him out for great lessons on how to use that stuff!), Kasumi's dio, and everything else that was bouncing through my head to glue the base foam to some wood (red oak that was originally going to be Kasumi's base), throw some plaster onto it with the first butterfly, carve up the back wall, mount the floating butterfly, and paint it all up. The floating butterfly btw, was meant to be the wall part of this, and it floating was just a happy accident. All I really wanted was for Ayane to be standing there, and if viewed from the front it would look like she has giant butterfly wings.

The result is pretty dang close to what I wanted for essentially winging it the whole way.

Now for the photos (check for any notes as there may be a few). I do apologize for any blurriness, my space is quite difficult and I personally hate my camera.

My second ever Diorama Img_1427
My second ever Diorama Img_1428
My second ever Diorama Img_1426
My second ever Diorama Img_1510
My second ever Diorama Img_1512
My second ever Diorama Img_1511
My second ever Diorama Img_1514
My second ever Diorama Img_1515
My second ever Diorama Img_1513

This one just looks cool to me
My second ever Diorama Img_1516

In the dark. I like how the light bleeds through her bow.
My second ever Diorama Img_1517
My second ever Diorama Img_1518

This is maybe the most interesting shot I have, which I stumbled upon by accident. For those of you not familiar with the DOA series, the long and short is that Kasumi broke tradition, became a runaway, and Ayane was sent after her to kill her. Prior to this, Kasumi was being raised to rule, was the face of their clan/village/family. Ayane was raised to support that part of the clan in the darkness. TL:DR Kasumi would have worked in the light so to speak, while Ayane works in darkness. So when I stumbled on this shot, I thought it was VERY appropriate: Turn out the lights, and Kasumi is seen, all the while an ominous shadow is close by. Fits their relationship quite well.
My second ever Diorama Img_1519

Anyway, I am happy to answer questions on any of it! Hope you all enjoy!

2My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:28 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I can't say I really "get it" (this is so far outside my field of knowledge), but it is gorgeously done once again. You have quite the talent for making beautiful dioramas.

3My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very well executed once again. I have no familiarity with the character or source material, but it looks like the perfect display area for her. It's quite clever that you have created display dioramas for both characters that have their own lighting sources so they can be enjoyed in the the dark as well.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:13 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Looks amazing!

5My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:13 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Fantastic work - thanks for sharing. Really like the ground combination of old stone/moss with that LED colour shift running through, looks so effective. It seems you have started a collection of diorama light box creations…..!?

6My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:38 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks beautifully executed. I’m not familiar enough with the source to understand the butterfly, but it all looks exceptional.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My second ever Diorama C8485110

7My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:35 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
I like the base work on the wall and the moss etc. Pretty cool size also for this, like a bigger base.

The butterfly looks pretty and I love everything with lighting, but I'm also not into the source material here. 

Well done!

8My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:13 am

Diana

Diana
Oh wow! Another gorgeous base! I love the brick wall, the moss details, the lighting, the size... everything about it basically. Well done!

9My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:14 am

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
GubernatorFan wrote:I can't say I really "get it" (this is so far outside my field of knowledge), but it is gorgeously done once again. You have quite the talent for making beautiful dioramas.

skywalkersaga wrote:Very well executed once again. I have no familiarity with the character or source material, but it looks like the perfect display area for her. It's quite clever that you have created display dioramas for both characters that have their own lighting sources so they can be enjoyed in the the dark as well.

Thank you Gubernator and Sky! I don't know about the whole talent thing (thank you for the complement though!). I would argue I have had really good teachers (not that they know I exist lol) and I've just managed to not fully screw up their lessons Shocked lol!

And no worries on not being familiar with any sources for this, I'm very much in the minority for liking this series as it is. lol. I know we all like dioramas so that is just fine!

For any curious folks, this link to the character wiki will take care of her background.

BAMComix wrote:Looks amazing!

Thank you!

Tanzenwolfe wrote:Fantastic work - thanks for sharing.  Really like the ground combination of old stone/moss with that LED colour shift running through, looks so effective.  It seems you have started a collection of diorama light box creations…..!?

Thanks! The stone work was probably the most fun part of this process. I had never used the hard pink foam insulation before, but I have to say I will be using it a lot more moving forward! I'm not sure about them being light boxes per-say, but I can see the comparison. The lighting is quite dramatic so long as it is dark as night in the room. Not very bright or impressive with daylight or room light, but I kinda expected that.

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks beautifully executed. I’m not familiar enough with the source to understand the butterfly, but it all looks exceptional.

Thanks! So, the link above covers a lot of ground on the character but the whole butterfly motif for her is a part of her character design. Think of it as the typical, anime-esqe character with an animal as part of their theme. There are more subtle things going on, but it is a touch out of my depth currently.

Valiarde wrote:I like the base work on the wall and the moss etc. Pretty cool size also for this, like a bigger base.

The butterfly looks pretty and I love everything with lighting, but I'm also not into the source material here. 

Well done!

Thanks! The bigger base thing is part of why I ran with this size. Not too big, not too small, just enough space to do something cool with. Very Happy

Diana wrote:Oh wow! Another gorgeous base! I love the brick wall, the moss details, the lighting, the size... everything about it basically. Well done!

Thank ya Diana!

I think the most fun part of this hobby is the dioramas. It's great making a custom character and all, but putting them in a miniature world is just different.

10My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:16 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
MeMyself&I wrote:

I think the most fun part of this hobby is the dioramas. It's great making a custom character and all, but putting them in a miniature world is just different.

I totally get what you mean. I love making custom figures, but if I'm being honest, I do find it rather stressful at times because I tend to recreate specific characters, and getting them 'just right' is not always easy. But with a diorama, it's more relaxing in a way since there's a lot more leeway to just be creative and have fun with it. Maybe that only applies to situations where the character is an exact representation while the dio is more of an original piece (since some people also make dioramas that are precise recreations of film sets, for instance), but that's my own feelings on it, at least. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

11My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:48 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
skywalkersaga wrote:
MeMyself&I wrote:

I totally get what you mean. I love making custom figures, but if I'm being honest, I do find it rather stressful at times because I tend to recreate specific characters, and getting them 'just right' is not always easy. But with a diorama, it's more relaxing in a way since there's a lot more leeway to just be creative and have fun with it.  Maybe that only applies to situations where the character is an exact representation while the dio is more of an original piece (since some people also make dioramas that are precise recreations of film sets, for instance), but that's my own feelings on it, at least. ;p

Makes perfect sense. A lot of this, at least for me, probably comes down to what the individual finds as fun and creative, you know? That's the fun part honestly, at least when it comes to seeing what others do and seeing what they prioritize, and how they can stretch and work with what they are doing. I know I tend to prioritize accurate characters like you do, and it does frustrate me at times as well. lol. For dio's I find that I tend to focus on the lighting, and using realistic materials. Still sooo much to learn!

12My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Your diorama is really impressive. I like the light effects very much. The fiber optic seems to allow more sophisticated light effects than simple EL wire, which is really great!

13My second ever Diorama Empty Re: My second ever Diorama Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:37 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Randam Hajile wrote:Your diorama is really impressive. I like the light effects very much. The fiber optic seems to allow more sophisticated light effects than simple EL wire, which is really great!

Thanks! The fiber optic can probably still be utilized better with a more powerful light source and/or different colors. The violet is hardly noticeable unless it's pitch black. Other colors would reallly pop though! Evan's Designs is the place I bought all the lighting from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum