OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 39]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I think after this you will certify for master builder. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Ha! We’ll see. This was actually the easier of the two sides... the stairs on the left have curves and angles — always fun to do.

Started gluing on the facings for the risers and the landings, but I won’t waste anyone’s time posting pics of that process; I’ll post when construction on these current steps are done.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Basic construction of the steps to the right of Jabba's throne is complete. Started working on the steps to the left -- have most of the pieces cut out and ready to start gluing.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7726
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7727

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
This is going to be very cool when you're done. It already gives an excellent idea of where you're going.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Aww man, just found out Peter Mayhew passed away yesterday at 74. R.I.P., Chewie — you played one of my favorite Star Wars characters.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I just found out too... ;_;

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

scalawag

scalawag
I found this out on the radio this morning. So very sad, Chewie has to be one of the best loved characters in any Sci Fi film.

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is very sad, and I heard it here first... Star Wars has become immortal (for better or for worse) but unfortunately those who made it (in one way or another) are not, and this is just another reminder of that.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
In honor of Peter (and Carrie); they look like they had a lot of fun together -- Maybe they are once again.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Tm_pet10
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Proxy_41
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Proxy_40
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Proxy_42
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Star-w12
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 E10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They are very sweet... should we recreate this with sixth-scale figures?

Eph

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Ew4f1z10

So many People all over the world loved the Character he breathe life into

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The construction part of the steps to the left of Jabba's throne is finally finished. A little more complicated than the ones on the right, but it all worked out in the end, I guess. Had to do this one in layered sections due to the curves and angles -- and needing underlying structural support to keep those pieces from warping over time, and to be able to support the weight of figures -- even though they don't weigh that much.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7729
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7730
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7728
Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7731

I have one more arch to make, and then I can start on the outer walls of the display, the floor and the "ceiling".

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Woo hoo, it's REALLY coming along!

scalawag

scalawag
very, very nice Wink

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks. It’s all a little tight (maybe too tight), and somewhere along the line things got a little off kilter, so I’m going to have to make adjustments when I attach the main arch and the stairs to the floor — as the space between the steps — near the front in particular — has decreased too much in order for the throne to fit without being scraped along the sides — something I definitely do not want to do.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It seems to be coming along very well, despite being such a large and fairly complex build. I hope the throne (and everything else) ends up fitting just right and you don't have to redo much to accommodate it.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Guv.

I figured out my mistake and corrected it (AGAIN). I had to cut the arch in half again -- a little trickier since it had all that structural support behind the facing. Added the distance I needed (3/16") and added even more support behind the front. It's just a hair over what it's supposed to be, but at this point, it's staying the way it is. In the meantime, I started cutting out the final arch/doorway next to Han's display, and added "texture" to another finished wall.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7734

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7735

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The textured wall looks perfect to me.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:The textured wall looks perfect to me.

Thanks. Yeah, that wallpaper works great.

Here is the arch after adjusting it to the correct width with the steps and the back landing. It's not easy to see in the pics so far, but the dot-patterned texture (vinyl drawer liner material) was added to the back section that sits behind the throne. All of the steps will get this same treatment shortly. Once it's sprayed with primer it'll be easier to see. The wallpaper won't need primer has it already feels like it has some sort of "primer" on it.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7736

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The dot patterned texture (ie, the vinyl drawer liners) were cut and added to the first set of steps.

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7738

Throne -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 11 Img_7737

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice. Looks like you are approaching a final run -- at least structurally; I realize you will be working on a printed background for behind the arch.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Very nice. Looks like you are approaching a final run -- at least structurally; I realize you will be working on a printed background for behind the arch.

Yeah, I’m hoping to add a photographic background (assuming twelveinchfigures over at the Freaks ever makes one — we’ve been talking about it, anyway; but some personal tragedies have kind of set him back, so I haven’t been hounding him). If not that, I’ll probably have to paint something up myself — which was never my strong suit. I still have to make the floor, dio side walls, and ceiling. I have about 4” x 30” of the Rancor Pit grating I need to figure out how to do, and the trap door (at least the hint of an outline), and the walls and ceiling need holes, crevices, cavities for the lights; and come up with some rounded hoods to go over the lights above the band — still need to figure out how to attach the walls to the floor and ceiling that won’t take up too much space. I also need to make a curtain for the last arch. Still a ways to go, I’m afraid...

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed very cool, it's looking great!

scalawag

scalawag
Wow lots of progress since I last stopped by. Looking great mate, and love those textures.

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Indeed very cool, it's looking great!

scalawag wrote:Wow lots of progress since I last stopped by.  Looking great mate, and love those textures.

Paul

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The textures really do add a LOT to the overall effect. I can tell this is going to look amazing once finished. I'm so glad you have pressed on with this project regardless of the various setbacks -- it's already looking Most Impressive. Wink

Re: the backgrounds -- I've been wanting some of those backdrops for ages, but the shipping costs to the UK are just insane. I hope he's still making them once I finally save up for them!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:The textures really do add a LOT to the overall effect. I can tell this is going to look amazing once finished. I'm so glad you have pressed on with this project regardless of the various setbacks -- it's already looking Most Impressive. Wink

Re: the backgrounds -- I've been wanting some of those backdrops for ages, but the shipping costs to the UK are just insane. I hope he's still making them once I finally save up for them!

Thanks. Yeah, he makes some cool stuff, but... yeah, not cheap that’s for sure.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks. Yeah, he makes some cool stuff, but... yeah, not cheap that’s for sure.

I had purchased one of the smaller detolf backgrounds a long time ago -- it was very nice but too small for my purposes. The larger ones, where available, are exponentially expensive.

If you are able to give me enough reference photos of what you want on the background image (and I realize this might be a tall order), and the dimensions, I could try to cobble something together (although there are others here with better computer graphic skills than me) for free -- and you can print it relatively cheaply in your local Staples or other similar stores with printing services.

If nothing else, we can start by scanning, blowing up, and modifying the printed background of the Hasbro Jabba's Palace 3D display diorama.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s very generous, Guv, but I don’t want you to go to that kind of trouble. It’s a massively tall order, and one of the biggest problems I’ve found is there really aren’t enough photos, particularly from the same angle to give any clear shot at doing it easily. I’ve even been looking at background art from one of the video games, where some of the stuff is probably not accurate, but at least it’s done without figures in the way. I also have to factor in that I’m not doing the complete steps, so I have to add the remainder in. Like I said... massively tall order. Thanks, though, I greatly appreciate it. I’ll probably end up painting it anyway, cause I doubt twelveinchfigures will make one solely to satisfy my needs, anyway. I think his goal was to do basically something similar to the Hasbro one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum