OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Selecting a head for TBLeague S09C body.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Selecting a head for TBLeague S09C body. Empty Selecting a head for TBLeague S09C body. Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:00 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I was delighted to find that all of the head sculpts I've acquired so far look correctly sized for the TBLeague S24A body. Yay! However my second body, is the S09C which is taller and the Super Duck and YM Toys head sculpts I have--all Asian girls--look too small. Has anyone got any experience with this size body and can you recommend properly sized head sculpts? I don't mind that they are not Asian....I have to add some Caucasians in my collection. Would appreciate any advice before I order another head.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Some of the classic Kimi Toys heads are a tad larger and would work with the ‘regular’ sized tbleague bodies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIMI-TOYS-1-6-KT007-European-female-Head-blonde-hair-for-VERYCOOL-PHICEN-Body-/273560490254

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-6-KIMI-Toys-European-Blond-Female-Head-Sculpt-Girl-Head-Model-F-12-PH-Body-/302783468931

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIMI-TOYS-KT011-B-1-6th-Black-long-Hair-Girl-Head-F-12-Female-Figure-Body-Model-/172941346953

And these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-6-Female-Blonde-Hair-Charlize-Theron-Carving-Handmade-Head-Sculpt-Figure-Model-/113147227888

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAC-TOYS-1-6-Female-Head-Model-Curls-Sculpt-Scarlett-Johansson-Black-Widow-/282624301214

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-STOCK-GAC-TOYS-1-6-Female-Head-w-Long-Curly-Hair-For-12-female-body-Phicen-/162642324606

From what I recall, these all seem made to fit with the taller tbleague bodies. That said, I don’t own these heads myself, and others may be able to make better recommendations.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Thanks for the advice!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
No problem! Smile

Do you have any preferences in terms of face, hair, eye colour? Some people don't mind using heads that look more overtly like certain celebrities for their OC's; others prefer to use more generic headsculpts. In some cases it's unavoidable, as many of the sculpts are at least somewhat based on celebrity likenesses. But either way, if you have a particular 'look' you're going for with this one, that can greatly help with finding you the right recommendations.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yep, I’ve used many Kimi Toys head sculpts on the regular sized TBLs and they work great.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Selecting a head for TBLeague S09C body. C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hope you managed to find something that works for you! : )

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:Hope you managed to find something that works for you! : )

Actually, I found that one that I already have works pretty well, but I might still change it. In the meantime, the TBLeague Tomoe Head head I ordered from Monkey Depot arrived and I'been spending time making it look as much as possible like my DAZ 3D character Kamiko Takahara by giving her red lipstick, blue-grey eye shadow and most of all, styling the hair to look as much like Kamiko's as possible with bangs drooping in front.

I think I've done a pretty good job so far. It will never look 100% like the DAZ Kamiko because the sculpt was not made from my 3D render, but I knew I'd never have it exactly anyway. The next step is to make the red bow for the hair. For that I have a green hair band coming in, which I'll prime white before painting red, and then I still have to figure out how to make the bow. Kamiko's red bow is her trademark. I'll put up images when the figure is done.

At some point down the line, I'd also like to do a figure representing Kamiko's revenge-driven junior ninja niece, Michiko. That will be hard because in DAZ, I depicted her with a sort of 60's retro beehive up do hairstyle and I haven't seen any head sculpts remotely like this, though It might be possible to style an up do myself if the hair is long enough to start off with.

More to follow.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
If you have a craft store in your area, check out the scrap-booking section. I’ve found 3-D objects, like bows, made out of real ribbon before. You can find all sorts of tiny objects in craft stores if you use your “1/6th vision” that can help with all sorts of things.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Selecting a head for TBLeague S09C body. C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:If you have a craft store in your area, check out the scrap-booking section. I’ve found 3-D objects, like bows, made out of real ribbon before. You can find all sorts of tiny objects in craft stores if you use your “1/6th vision” that can help with all sorts of things.

We have a big art supply chain here in Montreal called Omer de Serres. I will check them out. They've had little baubles that look right in 1/6th scale in the past.

Peaches

Peaches
The girl in my avatar is the Sakara valkarie figure head which has pretty hair with braided sections. It's too big for other bodies IMO

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It’s always great when you can use something you already have. Smile And I know what it’s like to be driven to complete one particular figure / character while still having multiple projects going all at once. Looking forward to seeing your Kamiko! : )

ETA: that’s great to know, Peaches —I like her! : )

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:It’s always great when you can use something you already have. Smile And I know what it’s like to be driven to complete one particular figure / character while still having multiple projects going all at once.  Looking forward to seeing your Kamiko! : )

ETA: that’s great to know, Peaches —I like her! : )

This is going to keep me busy for a while as I have about a dozen figures I want to do in this post-apocalyptic range. Maybe more even. It's going to be a challenge doing the Pin Up Patrol in such a way as to make them look sufficiently uniform in dress that there is a recognizable military unit, yet sufficiently individualistic to make each member distinct. One way to do this is through head dress. In the film (Dark Of The Sun) and TV series (Rat Patrol) that I've mentioned a few times as being influential in my design, all the principal characters are dressed in more or less the same uniform, but all wear distinctively different hats or head dress.

I'm also trying to give the Pin-Up Patrol a somewhat distinctive retro look, limiting the amount of modern gear and clothing they are wearing, to make them look as though they are dressed out of a photographer's wardrobe section from a photo shoot with a smattering of surplus store items and other randomly acquired gear thrown in. What I am deliberately trying to NOT do is to have them all look just like any of the plethora of boxed figures being sold dressed and equipped from head to foot in matching ultra-modern gear. If I wanted to do that, I could just buy those figures. Creating my own distinctive unit figure by figure is a lot more fun.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Totally understandable to want to have your own distinct ‘look’ that is uniquely yours and also exemplifies your own personal aesthetic! So far you seem to be capturing that retro vibe very well. : )

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:Totally understandable to want to have your own distinct ‘look’ that is uniquely yours and also exemplifies your own personal aesthetic! So far you seem to be capturing that retro vibe very well. : )

With respect to the retro vibe, thankfully there are enough weapons and other kit out there in parts form that were used for decades. British Army WWII style web gear was used by commonwealth armies long after WWII and by some countries well into the 60's and 70's. The Sterling submachinegun was also adopted in the 1950's and only retired in some countries in the late 80's or early 90's. The Indian Army still has them. So by selecting carefully, especially weapons and equipment that isn't dated to a single very narrow historical period, I can achieve the look I want.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum