OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saint Crow - 1st of the Radio Kings & Post Apocalyptic Warlord. King's Currency: Wasteland Salvaged Records, Turntable, and Speakers MEGAPOST!!!

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Rogerbee

Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.

Lol... If I were a little bit more full of myself, I'd ask to be called gov'nor (as a Brit, Roger should be able to manage that better than I can). After all, that's what gubernator means... but I am keeping the German form because I am a Terminator -- Arnold -- sometime Governor of California = Gubernator fan. Smile

Fun fact (well, sorta) -- there was some Russian clip on youtube where they sing a very convincing parody of Hotel California, in which they refer to Arnold as the "new terminator of California, such an awesome man." He (or rather an actor playing him) comes out on stage (in Terminator character) and interrupts the music to announce: "Dear Californians, if anyone should ever offend you, I will take off their head. So be kind to one another, otherwise all will suffer." Or something like that, if memory serves.

I see, so what will you answer to?

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I see, so what will you answer to?

Well, I haven't refused to answer to anything so far... just Guber seems a little off. Gubernator or even GF seems fine. And no, the latter doesn't make me your girlfriend (MBAM!). lol

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Ok, Gubernator it is then.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:I see, so what will you answer to?

Well, I haven't refused to answer to anything so far... just Guber seems a little off. Gubernator or even GF seems fine. And no, the latter doesn't make me your girlfriend (MBAM!). lol

Damn.. that never even crossed my mind calling you GF all these years now! Embarassed Laughing

Kukolka

Kukolka
This is magnificent! Thank you for posting here, some of us hadn't seen it yet. Believable, how the end came about... -_-

It must have taken a long time to source and build, everything belongs together in the setting. Great closeups on loading the guns. So many interesting details, the gas mask bunny, the fan staircase, those lightbulbs!!~ How Mz Fixit's overalls go over not all that much besides her own self. :}  It's fun to watch your characters interact, they are so lifelike. ^_^

ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking of trying to write the whole thing out, but whenever I have the time, I just keep making more figures.
I can relate!

https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Always been one of my favorite set of characters, storyline and bashing! Who wouldn't want a bad a$$ chainsaw like that as well!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.

Lol... If I were a little bit more full of myself, I'd ask to be called gov'nor (as a Brit, Roger should be able to manage that better than I can). After all, that's what gubernator means... but I am keeping the German form because I am a Terminator -- Arnold -- sometime Governor of California = Gubernator fan. Smile

Fun fact (well, sorta) -- there was some Russian clip on youtube where they sing a very convincing parody of Hotel California, in which they refer to Arnold as the "new terminator of California, such an awesome man." He (or rather an actor playing him) comes out on stage (in Terminator character) and interrupts the music to announce: "Dear Californians, if anyone should ever offend you, I will take off their head. So be kind to one another, otherwise all will suffer." Or something like that, if memory serves.

Well, you are "da gubernator" of our community here!  However that does mean that if anyone offends us, you may need to take their head (if a russian faux-terminator can truly be considered a reliable source of information on "guberning" responsibilities...)

Kukolka wrote:This is magnificent! Thank you for posting here, some of us hadn't seen it yet. Believable, how the end came about... -_-

It must have taken a long time to source and build, everything belongs together in the setting. Great closeups on loading the guns. So many interesting details, the gas mask bunny, the fan staircase, those lightbulbs!!~ How Mz Fixit's overalls go over not all that much besides her own self. :}  It's fun to watch your characters interact, they are so lifelike. ^_^

ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking of trying to write the whole thing out, but whenever I have the time, I just keep making more figures.
I can relate!

Thank you so much Kukolka!  So glad you enjoyed it.  I wanted to ground the story in an apocalyptic scenario that seemed possible and relevant, and I sadly didn't need to stretch too far on this one.  It also keeps me thinking of the day to day challenges, and how people would need to survive it, which is a big part of that world.  There are definitely small communities that would work together, and try to figure a way to get food from even the harshest conditions.  And then there are those that would come along, and prey on those communities...

Even the smallest details often have some back story.  Marrow is a bit mad, and spent a lot of time alone in the wasteland with only the stuffed bunny to talk to, so he's kinda her best friend.  She's convinced he talks back, although no one else has heard it. As for the overalls, it's usually really hot in the wastelands!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. tongue See, there's a reason Saint Crow doesn't wear a shirt under that vest.  He's not just flaunting his abs!

Pontiacivan wrote:Always been one of my favorite set of characters, storyline and bashing! Who wouldn't want a bad a$$ chainsaw like that as well!

Hell yes!  Thanks much Pontiacivan.  I'm for any apocalypse where I can have a chainsaw sword.  It's the upside of an otherwise bleak future.  I have to admit that I think a part of the appeal of post apocalyptic fiction is that it's a world that is kinda the worst possible scenario, but also seems maybe a bit more fun than going to work tomorrow. Razz

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Well, you are "da gubernator" of our community here!  However that does mean that if anyone offends us, you may need to take their head (if a russian faux-terminator can truly be considered a reliable source of information on "guberning" responsibilities...)

LOL. I vow to take heads only digitally, and even then only as a last resort!

blackpool

blackpool
Glad you reposted these shots, this storyline characters and diorama is stellar, absolutely stunning in every little detail, "snow corporation" level if I might say, cause it has the same very unique depth as dorgmal snow and a very few other artists...

I could spend hours looking at all the props and accessories you have gathered and built, fascinating!

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for posting them again, always inspiring to see your work, especially when it comes to the level of detail you put into your work

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
blackpool wrote:Glad you reposted these shots, this storyline characters and diorame is stellar, absolutely stunning in every little detail, "snow corporation" level if I might say, cause it has the same very unique depth as dorgmal snow and a very few other artists...

I could spend hours looking at all the props and accessories you have gathered and built, fascinating!

Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison. Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man. I love his character designs so much. There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled. Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world. Seriously, thank man.

Tjolnir wrote:thanks for posting them again, always inspiring to see your work, especially when it comes to the level of detail you put into your work

Tjolnir, thanks so much man! And really great to see you made it over here to the new forum!

JohnByng

Beautiful figures! I love the guy with the scar! Saint Crow is it? Fantastic work!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
JohnByng wrote:Beautiful figures! I love the guy with the scar! Saint Crow is it? Fantastic work!

Ah, thank you John! Yeah, that's Saint Crow, the 1st of the Radio Kings. So glad you dig em!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I am SO looking forward to the further adventures of St. Crow and his ladies.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Saint Crow - 1st of the Radio Kings & Post Apocalyptic Warlord.  King's Currency: Wasteland Salvaged Records, Turntable, and Speakers MEGAPOST!!! - Page 2 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
Love me some Saint Crow. Good to see all the photos collected together.

GubernatorFan wrote:but I am keeping the German form...

Comes from the Latin gubernō (to govern). Greek has the same word (kubernáō).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Comes from the Latin gubernō (to govern). Greek has the same word (kubernáō).

Of course it comes from Latin. But I never thought to derive that from Greek kybernao. Thanks.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:Love me some Saint Crow. Good to see all the photos collected together.

Thank you Shazzdan! I felt like The Radio Kings needed a presence here on OSF.

Stryker2011 wrote:I am SO looking forward to the further adventures of St. Crow and his ladies.

Man Stryker2011, you have no idea how happy that makes me to hear. It genuinely stokes the flames and gets me going.

So, here's the crazy part. I realized now that I have 10 figures in the Radio Kings world, all in various stages of completion. I so need to start photographing, but I keep finding reasons to put it off. Something's not quite done yet, or wanting to build a background before I shoot pics. A few characters I think need something, or some I hit a wall designing. Some I just can't seem to name. I think when it all comes together, it might be a landslide of photoshoots, if I can just get out of my own way.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I know exactly how you feel.

Saint Crow - 1st of the Radio Kings & Post Apocalyptic Warlord.  King's Currency: Wasteland Salvaged Records, Turntable, and Speakers MEGAPOST!!! - Page 2 C8485110

blackpool

blackpool
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison.  Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man.  I love his character designs so much.  There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled.  Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world.  Seriously, thank man.  

You're welcome, I really mean that, when I see your pics I have the very same feeling as when I browse Dorgmal's work, it's beyond figures and dioramas, it's a complete universe with its history and context, the figures are real characters with backgrounds, emotions, goals... I have the greatest admiration for the people with such imagination and creativity, the dedication and talent to make it happen and even better make it last!

When I see your work I only wish there was a novel, a comic, or a movie to get more of it lol, It gives me some echoes from blade runner, mad max, the book of eli, cowboy bebop... I love that!

Ephiane

Ephiane
All the Words are already used.... Amazing ...fantastic..Brilliant. It´s Amatasticliant ! I love it !
can´t remember the last Pic. It´s a Bonus ?

Allotropos

Allotropos
A most welcomed megapost Rev !!
Thank you for bringing the gang over to OSF..!
I have your post from the other place bookmarked for inspiration !
Just amazing work dude.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Allotropos wrote:A most welcomed megapost Rev !!
Thank you for bringing the gang over to OSF..!
I have your post from the other place bookmarked for inspiration !
Just amazing work dude.

Oh man, so glad re-posting these has been so well received! And seriously Allotropos, it means the world that these could provide some inspiration.  

Ephiane wrote:All the Words are already used.... Amazing ...fantastic..Brilliant. It´s Amatasticliant ! I love it !
can´t remember the last Pic. It´s a Bonus ?

Thanks so much Ephiane.  And good eye! Now that you mentioned it, I don't think I had posted that last shot previously. I think I actually shot it a few days before the rest of the shoot. It was snowing out like crazy, my office was closed for the day, and I wanted to try to get that cozy feeling of being snowed inside. So glad you dig it!

blackpool wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison.  Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man.  I love his character designs so much.  There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled.  Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world.  Seriously, thank man.  

You're welcome, I really mean that, when I see your pics I have the very same feeling as when I browse Dorgmal's work, it's beyond figures and dioramas, it's a complete universe with its history and context, the figures are real characters with backgrounds, emotions, goals... I have the greatest admiration for the people with such imagination and creativity, the dedication and talent to make it happen and even better make it last!

When I see your work I only wish there was a novel, a comic, or a movie to get more of it lol, It gives me some echoes from blade runner, mad max, the book of eli, cowboy bebop... I love that!

Man Blackpool, too kind.

I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh man! I saw you had posted and I was really hoping for some new photos. You tricked me! Evil or Very Mad

ReverendSpooky wrote:I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

All kidding aside, I know how you feel. I had a couple ideas for comics WAY back in the mid-80s when I was in the Air Force . I had even gone to art school for a time after I got out for illustration; I can draw, but I’m painstakingly slow and super picky, so I changed to English (which I’m only slightly faster at). Anyway, I had tried to get a young man, right out of art school, to work with me on a couple of comics ideas I had. Unfortunately, time and real life wasn’t on our side. By the time we were thinking about launching one of the ideas, about 4 years later, the first Tomb Raider video game came out, then a few years later the comics, etc. etc.; my idea was so close in nature to that game, I scrapped the project completely. Years later, after I found another artist to work with on a completely different project... again, time was against us, and the cable TV show Tripping The Rift came out (Yep. Another program too close for comfort to my idea). What, may you ask, does this have to do with you? My point is, don’t wait too long to get something going. If you can think of it, so can a hundred other people. And they just might beat you to the punch. The last thing I wanted was for people to say I was just ripping off TR or TTR.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:Oh man! I saw you had posted and I was really hoping for some new photos. You tricked me!  Evil or Very Mad

ReverendSpooky wrote:I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

All kidding aside, I know how you feel. I had a couple ideas for comics WAY back in the mid-80s when I was in the Air Force . I had even gone to art school for a time after I got out for illustration; I can draw, but I’m painstakingly slow and super picky, so I changed to English (which I’m only slightly faster at). Anyway, I had tried to get a young man, right out of art school, to work with me on a couple of comics ideas I had. Unfortunately, time and real life wasn’t on our side. By the time we were thinking about launching one of the ideas, about 4 years later, the first Tomb Raider video game came out, then a few years later the comics, etc. etc.; my idea was so close in nature to that game, I scrapped the project completely. Years later, after I found another artist to work with on a completely different project... again, time was against us, and the cable TV show Tripping The Rift came out (Yep. Another program too close for comfort to my idea). What, may you ask, does this have to do with you? My point is, don’t wait too long to get something going. If you can think of it, so can a hundred other people. And they just might beat you to the punch. The last thing I wanted was for people to say I was just ripping off TR or TTR.

Ah, sorry for the bait and switch!  I'm actually am working on a full Marrow photoshoot now!  And I have 2 other figures I think are about done, and ready for photos.  I'm building a 1/6 garage/barn/workshop area, and as soon as I'm done, I can get some new photos of Kit (I'm fairly sure that's the name I'm going with), the mechanic from the photos above, and some new accessories she's been building for Saint Crow, and some pics of Saint Crow with his new gear.  So much I'm dying to share here!

And you're 100% right.  Time is never on our side, and no matter the reason, it won't get done unless I make it happen.  I remember reading Steven King  wrote a lot of his 1st novel on his lunch breaks while he was working at an industrial laundry, while also working as a janitor and gas station attendant.  There always is a way.  

It's terrible when something comes out, and it's just too close to your ideas for comfort.  Maybe the worst part is that it really robs you of continuing to inhabit that world you were creating.  Do you still draw, even recreationally?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm looking forward to your new photos. (Really excited for the Marrow shoot -- LOVE HER!) And the rest of the photos, as well.

I've also read that about King. A lot of other authors (classic and contemporaries) have been through much the same, claiming a measly hour a day of sleep, because they had real jobs before striking it famous; though most writers don't make a living solely as an author -- those fortunate few are just that -- FEW. I'm not that motivated any more, to tell you the truth.

I haven't written or drawn anything in quite some time (years, unfortunately). About 26 years ago, when my wife and I got engaged, I wrote a short novella for her as a wedding present (and illustrated it, as well). After we were married, since I wasn't all that enthusiastic about how that 98 page story turned out, I decided to expand on it. It took me about 4 1/2 years, and it turned into a massive tome a little over 1500 pages, which I started working on the illustrations for, but haven't completed. I really need to get that one done before I die. My plan is to have it professionally bound for her in leather (I like the look of pre-1900 books, many of which were over-sized -- as this will be; so it's quite the project). I think the last thing I did some writing and illustrating on was that last comic book (a humorous, slightly raunchy, sci-fi tale about an Intergalactic Marshal, and her partner, sent across the universe to retrieve several hundred escaped inmates. Some of the jokes/gags that I had come up with I actually saw on Tripping the Rift and Futurama years later -- like I said, "If you can think of it, so can someone else.")

I have started working on action figures to represent the main characters of the two ideas that I abandoned. Oh -- here's another one. I had been working on this Conan/Red Sonja type female barbarian comic-book character about 17 years ago. The way I drew her originally, was her race was a jungle culture that had mostly purple skin, with zebra-like black stripes all over. The artist I showed it to in order to gauge his interest in working on the project, thought it would be WAY too much work to do for a continuing character, and didn't think it would work. Imagine how pissed I was when James Cameron's Avatar came out with characters (though not human) had almost the same skin designs. I hate being so slow...

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:I'm looking forward to your new photos. (Really excited for the Marrow shoot -- LOVE HER!) And the rest of the photos, as well.

I've also read that about King. A lot of other authors (classic and contemporaries) have been through much the same, claiming a measly hour a day of sleep, because they had real jobs before striking it famous; though most writers don't make a living solely as an author -- those fortunate few are just that -- FEW. I'm not that motivated any more, to tell you the truth.

I haven't written or drawn anything in quite some time (years, unfortunately). About 26 years ago, when my wife and I got engaged, I wrote a short novella for her as a wedding present (and illustrated it, as well). After we were married, since I wasn't all that enthusiastic about how that 98 page story turned out, I decided to expand on it. It took me about 4 1/2 years, and it turned into a massive tome a little over 1500 pages, which I started working on the illustrations for, but haven't completed. I really need to get that one done before I die. My plan is to have it professionally bound for her in leather (I like the look of pre-1900 books, many of which were over-sized -- as this will be; so it's quite the project). I think the last thing I did some writing and illustrating on was that last comic book (a humorous, slightly raunchy, sci-fi tale about an Intergalactic Marshal, and her partner, sent across the universe to retrieve several hundred escaped inmates. Some of the jokes/gags that I had come up with I actually saw on Tripping the Rift and Futurama years later -- like I said, "If you can think of it, so can someone else.")

I have started working on action figures to represent the main characters of the two ideas that I abandoned. Oh -- here's another one. I had been working on this Conan/Red Sonja type female barbarian comic-book character about 17 years ago. The way I drew her originally, was her race was a jungle culture that had mostly purple skin, with zebra-like black stripes all over. The artist I showed it to in order to gauge his interest in working on the project, thought it would be WAY too much work to do for a continuing character, and didn't think it would work. Imagine how pissed I was when James Cameron's Avatar came out with characters (though not human) had almost the same skin designs. I hate being so slow...

I think you'll only love Marrow more once I dig into her back story.  I'm really proud of a lot of her background, if I do say so myself.

And I hear you, that motivation is hard to come by.  Especially when, even if an idea is great, success is still so rare. It really does make sense to spend that time just doing something you really enjoy.  I think if I end up writing it, it'll just be for the love of telling a story.  If anything ever came of it, it's be pure bonus, but not the motivation to do it.  

The Space Marshal story sounds like a blast, and reminds me of the sort of vibe you'd get from some of the old Heavy Metal magazine stuff.  Now you've go me wanting to read it. And you owe it to yourself to finish that illustrated, leather-bound novella.  That is such an awesome idea, and when you can hold that in your hands, every time you look at it, I can only imaging how satisfying it'll be.  

If you ever do decide to take another crack at the figures from the barbarian comic, I bet you could do something amazing with Phicens.  I have a friend who tried out Ephaine's pastel trick to color a body, and had amazing results.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Very, very nice work and original story. I love it.

PureEnergy

Megapost, indeed...

Spooks, I am in utter awe of your magnificent talents, sir - and can only gape at all this artistry with humble admiration.  This is absolutely spectacular…  

Brilliant, and ever so superlatively.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Very, very nice work and original story.  I love it.  

Thanks so much ThePhotogsBlog!  I'm glad to see you digging through the depth of the forum (there has been so much great work posted) and that you resurrected Saint Crow to the front page (I'll admit it, I get really happy seeing this come back up).  Stick around, I've got some more fun in the world of the Radio Kings coming soon.

PureEnergy wrote:Megapost, indeed...

Spooks, I am in utter awe of your magnificent talents, sir - and can only gape at all this artistry with humble admiration.  This is absolutely spectacular…  

Brilliant, and ever so superlatively.

Lol.  Yeah, this was done over 3 posts in an old forum, so when OSF got started, I HAD to bring the Radio Kings over, and to start at the beginning.  I was a bit worried no one would make it through it all in 1 thread.  Laughing

And seriously man, thank you.  I'm so glad you dig it.  Radio Kings is my other big story line, and it all starts with Saint Crow.  If you're interested, and you'll forgive my shameless self promotion, Marrow is the 2nd of the Radio Kings character's I've posted.  

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t545-marrow-the-deathblessed-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

We're coming back to the wastelands real soon, and I've got some fun stuff I'm dying to share.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum