OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yesterday, a belated birthday present arrived in the post, courtesy of my dear hubby -- the long-awaited Mr.Z British Shire horse, model no. 005. I've been drooling over this guy from afar for over a year now, and I'm delighted that he's finally here! I love you

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7436

Some basic info on the figure -- this particular model is based on a 'British Shire Horse' according to Mr. Z, and the sculpt/mold is actually a fairly decent depiction of a Shire stallion [see comparison pic below]. This is refreshing, as some of their other equine models do not necessarily look like the breed they claim to be. While the Shire horse breed may be too large for many historical 'bashes, it works well for a fantasy warhorse, or even as a contemporary riding horse. 

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  S-l16016

There are five coat colours offered: bay w/ white markings, black w/ white markings, grey, palomino, and solid black, and these are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of 'accuracy' -- the three which are the most accurate to the breed are the bay, grey, and the black with the white markings. The solid black and palomino are not likely to be seen in a purebred adult Shire horse, though could potentially occur in other types of draft horse crosses. For those concerned with realism, I'd therefore recommend the bay, black w/white, or the grey

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  S-l16018

Despite this, I actually wanted a model in the solid black coat colour, because I'm hoping to use it for a diorama of a scene from a fantasy series which will feature some future planned custom figures. This version of the Mr.Z Shire fits the character's horse perfectly, so the minute I saw him I knew I had to have him. Wink 

Our new house is still in a bit of a state, but I managed to take a few quick pics with my phone this morning and thought I'd share. (Please excuse the extremely makeshift backdrop, it's all I had available atm. For scale reference, that is a very large canvas print in the background, sitting atop my drawing table. The horse takes up almost the entire drawing table.)

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7413

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7415

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7420

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7433

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7416

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7421

Overall, my first impressions are positive -- I'm mainly just relieved that a) I finally have it, and b) that it arrived in one piece. So far I've only really just unboxed it in order to check the condition -- and thankfully, no major breaks or scratches, just one a tiny nick at the bottom of one of the hooves, and a few very minor areas of paint rub on the shoulder area. These don't bother me too much, as they are barely noticeable even in RL let alone in photos.

One of my favourite things about this horse (and all the Mr.Z horses) is the way the light hits the sculpted coat 'hairs'...as seen in previous reviews on this forum, it lends the figure a very eye-catching and realistic sheen, both in-hand and in photos. The head is nicely shaped with expressive brown eyes (which look somewhat reddish in certain lighting, giving him an almost dragon-like appearance), and a lovely 'Roman nose'. The head sculpt is only slightly brought down by the permanently open mouth, but once he is wearing a bridle with a bit, this won't be too much of an issue. 

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7427

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7417

I suppose one could nitpick and say that the hairs on the mane, tail, and feathers could have been a little more finely sculpted, but personally I don't mind them the way they are. Since I grew up collecting Breyer horses, I'm accustomed to model horses with very obviously sculpted manes and tails. Imo, the only way to have made the mane and tail look less sculptural and more 'realistic' would be to have used 'real' hair/natural fibres of some sort, which they chose not to do in this case, no doubt due to the action pose of the figure. 

Since I haven't removed the saddle and bridle from their packaging yet, I don't have any pics of those. I'm not sure if I will be using those at all, or if I will wait until I either kitbash, create, or commission custom tack for the eventual diorama.

Apologies that I likewise do not yet have examples of this horse in comparison to 1/6 figures -- all my figures are still packed away in their boxes from the house move. As soon as I'm able I'll get some of those out (as well as some of my other model horses in different scales) and take more pics to give a better idea of size. My own impression is that the horse is not *as* crazy-huge as what I was expecting (not a bad thing), but he is very solid and EXTREMELY heavy!! I actually struggled to carry this behemoth up and down the stairs by myself. O.o 

If anyone else is looking for one of these, they were sold out for a few months but now a handful of sellers on both ebay and Aliexpress have gotten more in stock, so now's your chance. Wink

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  Img_7435

That's all for now, but I will try to post more pics soon. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh man. I kind of wish you hadn’t told me there are more available...

Just kidding. Thanks for the review. It does look good, I always thought these would be perfect for a fantasy warhorse. Gandalf rode a breed of draught horse in the last Hobbit movie, and it looked epic.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is a majestic beast, and I have no doubt it will work beautifully with the fantasy scenes you have planned. Congratulations (also on your birthday -- and considerate hubby!), and thank you for sharing. I was going to ask about the sculpted mane and tail, but I think you covered it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, guys! Smile 

You are right Stryker that it makes a beautiful fantasy warhorse. I think the solid black and the grey would both be especially striking in that role. Though any of them would look great, I am sure. 

And yeah, it was very thoughtful of Mr. Skywalkersaga to help me out with acquiring this one. My b-day was back in June, prior to the move, so I'm just relieved it made it to the right address. ;p 

Ultimately this particular Mr.Z horse is probably best suited for model horse collectors who don't mind sculpted manes/tails, or for 1/6 collectors looking for a more dynamic figure either as a display piece in its own right, or incorporated into a specific action scene or diorama. 

I like it enough that I would get another one in a different colour in a heartbeat if I could -- probably the grey or bay versions. : )

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Happy belated Birthday to a fellow Gemini. I checked out eBay for these — yikes! I guess I forgot how expensive these are ($200 with shipping). The few Illi horses available are at even disgustingly higher prices on the Bay.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, cheers. Smile

And yes, they are bit high, it is true. I think the one my husband found was on AliExpress, and might have been slightly cheaper....though probably not by much.  

I'm praying the Yili horses come back in stock at some point -- that, or Mr.Z puts out another type of horse that is comparable to it in style and height. 

One of the things I liked about the Yili horse, aside from the headsculpt which I thought was lovely, was that it came with tack which could, in a pinch, work as a temporary substitute for 'fantasy' tack. Whereas the Hanoverian and the Shire both came with pseudo 'English' style tack, which is too inaccurate and poorly designed to even pass for the real thing. So at least the Yili horses could have been used with certain fantasy figures straight away. Yes, I am still kicking myself for missing out... *sob*

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Does the Shire Horse come with any kind of tack and saddle?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:Does the Shire Horse come with any kind of tack and saddle?

Yes, it comes with more or less the same kind of tack as the Hanoverian, only obviously fitted to the much larger Shire. 

I'd temporarily left the tack in its original packaging for the time being, but I'll take some pics later when I get a chance. For now, here's some example pics of the tack on the same model as mine: 

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  125201750208PM_000

Mr.Z British Shire Horse 005 (black version) - first impressions and in-hand pics  HTB1FyicvL5TBuNjSspcq6znGFXaf

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
OMG!!! I can say this can be a very classy museum statue if it is not stated as figure......those fur details just crazy as hell!!! I am not a good sculpter but I really feel insane of how they make it like this....You got a gem!!! What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks so much, lawlaw! I'm glad you approve  -- I'm very pleased with him myself, and can't wait to have all kinds of fun setting up scenes with him. Smile

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks so much, lawlaw! I'm glad you approve  -- I'm very pleased with him myself, and can't wait to have all kinds of fun setting up scenes with him. Smile

XDD...we love to see beautiful things...horse is one of the most sexy epic thing from invention of god, if not counting human together imo...can't wait for your epic scenes.... cheers cheers

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I see why you would be trying to make or find new tack -- this does look rather modern.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:I see why you would be trying to make or find new tack -- this does look rather modern.

Yeah, it will do for the time being, but certainly wouldn't fit in with the medieval fantasy vibe I'm hoping to eventually achieve.

Delanie

Delanie
I see what you mean by the tack not being right from the pictures but will be nice to see them in hand.

the Bridle looks odd unless its different for the big horses but Mytle, the one I ride is a shire (hence my knickname for her 'clodhopper' ) and she wears a regular, if slightly bigger, a regular English bridle.

Since when did english saddles have a pommel?

that having been said it looks a nice model and will be interesting to see in hand

Ephiane

Ephiane
Bucephalus the nightmare ! affraid Thanks for sharing

Ovy

Ovy
Look at that horse, your horse is amazing! It looks like a disco dancer prancer!
And belated happy b-day/house move surviving.

I can imagine how good the sheen looks in hand. Excited to see your fantasy world.

Btw, I am using pencils called Paolmino Blackwing. They are my favorutites. Rolling Eyes

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:Look at that horse, your horse is amazing! It looks like a disco dancer prancer!
And belated happy b-day/house move surviving.

I can imagine how good the sheen looks in hand. Excited to see your fantasy world.

Btw, I am using pencils called Paolmino Blackwing. They are my favorutites. Rolling Eyes

Thanks! Mr.Z really did do a great job at capturing that sense of motion with this one.  

And yes, it looks much better in-hand -- my mobile phone pics are terrible, lol. Razz

And ha, that is a great name, love it. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum