OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Fri May 25, 2018 8:30 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Very very cool. Love that she comes with both heads (and hair), and the overall look and the details seem excellent. I suspect the horse is just a statue, but still very finely done. Thanks for posting the additional images.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

27TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Very very cool. Love that she comes with both heads (and hair), and the overall look and the details seem excellent. I suspect the horse is just a statue, but still very finely done. Thanks for posting the additional images.

I prefer 1/6 horses (and dogs) to be statues as I think they look more realistic.

Used to have the Dragon horse, Blitz. But was never really happy with it because of all the joints.

Photo nabbed from an Ebay listing:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 545fe1cd-7fcc-40dc-a4d2-45f5c0331820

28TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Asta, I agree that the statues do look more realistic, but then again, they deliver only one look. And that is not the point of an action figure. I mean, you could easily say the same thing about human figures. I have no problem with statues (and I think plenty of statues look great and make for wonderful art), but I don't find them interactive and fulfilling as a collectible in the same way. I believe I have the same (or very similar) Dragon horse -- my first sixth-scale horse ever. I will give you this, too -- statue horses are easier to use (more stable) than articulated ones. But I object to them on principle (within the world of action figures).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

29TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Asta, I agree that the statues do look more realistic, but then again, they deliver only one look. And that is not the point of an action figure. I mean, you could easily say the same thing about human figures. I have no problem with statues (and I think plenty of statues look great and make for wonderful art), but I don't find them interactive and fulfilling as a collectible in the same way. I believe I have the same (or very similar) Dragon horse -- my first sixth-scale horse ever. I will give you this, too -- statue horses are easier to use (more stable) than articulated ones. But I object to them on principle (within the world of action figures).

It's a Catch-22 situation that I understand all too well.

I could never collect statues, precisely for the reasons you state. I love action figures because you can pose them however you want, even if I often just find a pose and leave them like that. Though you still have the options to change them, modify them, dress them differently. I like to cover joints where possible, but generally prefer a jointed figure over a seamless one, or else I'm afraid to leave it posed in case the skin splits. Which defeats the object of the seamless body.

I look on animals differently because it's hard to make them jointed and not lose out aesthetically.

The only statues I collect are 1/6 scale resin dogs by companies such as Border Fine Art, Country Artists, Sherratt & Simpson, and so on. I see them as companion pieces for the action figures.

As you wrote, a non-movable horse does provide a stable platform. I use stands for all my figures because they give me a sense of security, and I know some people object to stands. So the horse becomes the stand.

30TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 10:41 am

Skippy

Following the BBICN Forum somebody posted this photo of Frémiet's 1874 sculpture of Jeanne, which is located at the Place des Pyramides in Paris:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 101323v4z4r2m2rz2irjrj

Another statue by Frémiet, from 1890:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 402kRFe

It looks like the inspiration for the missing breastplate in The Messenger.

31TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I've seen the Parisian statue... at some point. Good catch.

32TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 11:18 am

blackpool

blackpool
hey hey, nice to see my city here lol... I might have walked past this statue a hundred times, I had never seen the armor detail, neither seen it was the inspiration for Luc Besson's movie... So thanks a lot for sharing!

(on a sidenote, this parisian statue is now extremely unpopular as it was taken as a symbol by some extremist nationalist politician, his followers march to this statue yearly and wrongly see jeanne d'arc as a protector against foreigners... stupid politics)

33TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:this parisian statue is now extremely unpopular as it was taken as a symbol by some extremist nationalist politician, his followers march to this statue yearly and wrongly see jeanne d'arc as a protector against foreigners...

Well, she did have some choice words to say against the English... before they burned her on the stake; then again, they were occupying France.

34TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 11:35 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It’s pretty normal to have choice words about an invader.

Thanks for posting the statue pics. I’m sure I’ve seen them before, but it’s been awhile.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 C8485110

35TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Wow, I can't speak to the accuracy of the armor, but I will say, it looks incredible.

36TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Skippy

There's a review on BBICN:

http://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=348662&extra=page%3D1

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy12
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy10
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy11

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy15
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy13
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy14

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy17
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy18
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy16
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy20
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy21
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy19
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy24
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy22
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy23
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy27
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy25
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy26
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy29
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy30
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy28
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy31
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy32
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy33
TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Poptoy34

37TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Not bad; I don’t even mind that the head sculpt doesn’t look that much like Mila.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 C8485110

38TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 am

Skippy

Another review, this time showing the first armour she wore:

http://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=349757&extra=page%3D1

I managed to copy and past the translated review into SSF, but it won't post the photos like that here.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188214&p=10024689&viewfull=1#post10024689

39TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 am

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, that's an amazing figure! The horse is amazing too, but that saddle looks like hell to ride in Very Happy

40TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 am

Skippy

She does look good. Not completely accurate to the film, but pretty good for a figure I never expected to be made.

POPToys attached faulds to the plackart, but in the film Jeanne never had them with her first armour.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Maxres10

You could unbuckle them, though it would leave straps hanging from the plackart that she didn't have. Without them she would probably sit on the horse better.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Vlcsna11

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Vlcsna10

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Vlcsna12

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Vlcsna13

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Joan_o10

She also doesn't have the mail coif that's seen hanging from the back of her neck.

41TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Asta wrote:The plate usually has some mail underneath it, as in the picture you posted.
Not really. Plate was worn over an arming doublet. The arming doublet had mail voiders over the areas that the plate never covered.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Main-qimg-f9806140685ad776febcf975649f3c76

A mail hauberk and aketon weighs more than plate harness and arming doublet.

42TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:
Asta wrote:The plate usually has some mail underneath it, as in the picture you posted.
Not really. Plate was worn over an arming doublet. The arming doublet had mail voiders over the areas that the plate never covered.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Main-qimg-f9806140685ad776febcf975649f3c76

A mail hauberk and aketon weighs more than plate harness and arming doublet.

Well, I did write "usually" and "some". Wink

And, "as in the picture" Gubernator posted, which was from the late fifteenth century.

It would no doubt have been advisable to have a mail skirt to cover the vitals that plate armour couldn't, if the wearer needed the flexibility to ride a horse.

An arming doublet goes without saying with mail, or else the armour itself becomes your own worst enemy. affraid

43TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:40 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Asta wrote:TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Joan_o10

These cuirasses consisted of two parts: the placard and the breastplate. The boofheads who set this up and made those statues forgot to include half of the armour. In any case, placards like these didn't exist until about 50 years after Joan of Arc died.

44TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:
Asta wrote:TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Joan_o10

These cuirasses consisted of two parts: the plackard and the breastplate. The boofheads who set this up and made those statues forgot to include half of the armour. In any case, placards like these didn't exist until about 50 years after Joan of Arc died.

Yes, we've gone all through that. She's only wearing the plackart. Which would be consistent with Dunois' claim that, "She could not bear her heavy plate armour."

Which was the quote that gave rise to the note about the weight of mail.

There are plenty of examples of separately strapped plackarts earlier than that on this page:

http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.21152.html

The earliest there is small, but for c. 1410-15.

45TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Asta wrote:Yes, we've gone all through that. She's only wearing the plackart. Which would be consistent with Dunois' claim that, "She could not bear her heavy plate armour."

If she could not bear her heavy plate armour she would have worn something else like a brigandine. She wouldn't have thrown away the most important part of the harness.

And she could never have worn that placard because it never existed till after her death. Show me a single illustration of that armour dating to the first half of the 15th century.

46TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:
Asta wrote:Yes, we've gone all through that. She's only wearing the plackart. Which would be consistent with Dunois' claim that, "She could not bear her heavy plate armour."

She could never have worn that placard because they never existed till after her death.

This smaller one allegedly existed around the time of her birth:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 1410-110

47TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Asta wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

She could never have worn that placard because they never existed till after her death.

This smaller one allegedly existed around the time of her birth:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 1410-110

Yep. So what? This isn't what we are talking about.

48TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 am

Skippy

[quote="shazzdan"]
Asta wrote:And she could never have worn that placard because it never existed till after her death. Show me a single illustration of that armour dating to the first half of the 15th century.

So you didn't look at the link?

1410 - 1415 Churburg (Italy) CH 18, composite, master O and master T
Helmet - Milano, Bazarino di Trezzo?, 1425 - 1430, Churburg CH 18

1440 - 1445 Glasgow (UK) AGM 39-65e, AVANT, ex Churburg CH 20, composite
Mialno, Giovanni Corio, Ambrogio Corio, Bellino Corio, Dionisio Corio, Giovanni da Garavalle
Helmet by Provasio di Milano, ex CH T57, c. 1470

1445 - 1450 Firenze (Italy) Bargello R20
Milano, Antonio Foppa?

1445 - 1450 Churburg (Italy) CH 19, armour of Ulrich IX von Matsch, Graf von Kirchberg
Milano, Pier Innocenzo da Faerno, Antonio Missaglia, Giovanni Negroli

1450 - 1460 Mantova (Italy) Museo Diocesano B1, from S.Maria delle Grazie di Curtatone
Milano, Giacomo Cantoni?, maestro Biagio per Giovanni Spanzotti?, Giovanni Maffioli?

1450 - Churburg (Italy) CH 21, armour of count Galeazzo d'Arco
Milano, Tommaso Negroni (Missaglia)

Frankly, I don't care to argue the point.

49TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:06 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
All you need is a single illustration dating to the period in question showing these placards being worn without the rest of the cuirass.

50TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:All you need is a single illustration dating to the period in question showing these placards being worn without the rest of the cuirass.

Why? Jeanne wasn't a knight.

She was a mentally disturbed girl. A maverick. An enigma. She could wear what she wanted. We've been through all this before.

So pointless to discuss further.

51TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
No she couldn't. These things are impossible to put on without assistance. She would have had at least one experienced person helping her put on her armour. No way would they have left off the most important part of the harness. If she complained about the weight they would have found something else for her to wear.

Not sure what the problem is. The Poptoys armour is far more accurate than what was in the movie.

52TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:No she couldn't. These things are impossible to put on without assistance. She would have had at least one experienced person helping her put on her armour. No way would they have left off the most important part of the harness. If she complained about the weight they would have found something else for her to wear.

And you have primary evidence for this claim? You're just being argumentative for the sake of it, as always.

Would they have denied the will of a supposed messenger of God, regardless of how crazy it was?

We know from record that she had at least one suit of plate armour. We have a primary claim that she could not bear the weight of it.

We have the image from the fifteenth century of Jeanne wearing full armour. Nobody can know what she did and didn't wear at any given moment, nor can we even take primary claims as fact. Just because it seems impossible does not make it impossible.

It seems impossible that a girl in that period could accomplish what she did. Yet she did, and remains a remarkable character because of it.

One of the first things taught in a history degree is that you cannot claim absolutes without absolute proof. You can only suggest what is likely based upon gathered evidence.

With Jeanne her whole life was an unlikely event.

53TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 am

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:Not sure what the problem is. The Poptoys armour is far more accurate than what was in the movie.

That armour was also in the movie, and depicts the harness taken from a Burgundian.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Joa-sc10

54TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 2 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
That armour was also in the movie, and depicts the harness taken from a Burgundian.

So no problem

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum