OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:21 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I honestly don’t know which armor I’m going to go with. I’ll have to see what they look like in hand.

I'm toying with the idea of not having her mounted.

While the horse is pretty heavy and stable, I'm wondering if the weight of Jeanne would increase the chances of an accident because it places the centre of gravity higher?

This shelving unit sits on top of a pair of filing cabinets. The drawers are filled with rows of bagged comic books. I've tested slamming the heavy drawers shut and the horse shows no danger of going anywhere.

I can't decide until I have them in hand, which will be today because, unlike Parcelforce who delivered the horse yesterday, Saturday is a normal delivery day for Royal Mail.

The craziness hasn't ended come to an end yet as KG Hobby have despatched the CooModel Milanese armour - the one they called SE036 Famiglia Ducale.

It's been a mad few weeks!

77TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:41 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Pretty fine looking piece all in all! Looks like there will soon be some happy owners.

CHEERS!

78TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 am

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:Pretty fine looking piece all in all! Looks like there will soon be some happy owners.

CHEERS!

Me included! Very Happy

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46232440794_1196d45989_o

I was desperate to make sure I had both A and B versions, and not duplicates.

It was a nervous few minutes getting to the boxes as Kit uses about half a roll of bubble wrap when he packs things up.

The sculpts are really very well done. I wouldn't be disappointed if these had arrived on a HT figure. In fact I think the sculpts may owe their origins to the venerable HT Resident Evil Alice, except that POPToys' paint is much better.

The quality is a lot better than my photos suggest, which is usually the case:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 33081554238_c15062289e_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46232440954_1fdab8429b_o

First thing of note was that the boxes were heavy. The Burgundian armour is significantly moreso. I don't know that I'd want to risk having either of these sitting on the horse.

79TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:00 am

Skippy

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 32016256147_552e329940_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46043216775_8bbf260d67_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 32016256227_5dbd3e4334_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46043216735_d63bc2b366_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46957192871_2f7f5a5e43_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 33081784208_0d76e2a820_o

One feature that's disappointing is that the mail is shorter on the first (lighter) armour. Looking back at some of the other reviews it's consistently shorter than on the Burgundian armour figure. So it's as POPToys' intended it to be.

This puts a spanner in the works on removing the faulds.

While longer, the mail on the Burgundian is also a little shorter than it was in the film. Though I managed to pull it down a bit more after I took the photo. Might be able to release a bit more from under the armour on the other figure as well.

80TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:22 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s pretty cool. I honestly can’t remember now which armor I purchased. But I am SOO grateful that she comes mostly assembled; I hate having to do all those tiny buckles.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 C8485110

81TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:11 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s pretty cool. I honestly can’t remember now which armor I purchased. But I am SOO grateful that she comes mostly assembled; I hate having to do all those tiny buckles.

Indeed!

Essentially there isn't much you have to do other than put the stand together and put her belts on.

But I'm taking this slowly as I want to get the best out of the figures.

In some of the BBICN reviews there was reference to something strange going on with the neck. Because the Google translation is rarely much good I didn't understand what they meant.

But this is it what it was:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46957554611_bfb0a70a70_o

Both figures have that cup over the neck ball joint, which is a standard thing.

Yet the short haired sculpt has one of those cups already inside it. So one cup rests on the other, raising the sculpt so that the lower one is still visible. The only explanation can be that POPToys considered the head was sitting too low.

But they haven't taken into consideration the thickness of the armour. Looking at screencaps her chin overlaps the gorget:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Jeanne11

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Joa-sc14

Here, even with her head tilited back, her chin is only just above the gorget:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Joa-sc13

So I pulled the cup out of the head. Luckily it wasn't glued in as some are. Now her head goes to the bottom of the cup and sits where it should on the neck.

In fact, looking from the side now the sculpt lines up exactly like this:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Joa-sc15

82TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good to know. Thanks for the Heads Up ( Razz )

83TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:45 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Good to know. Thanks for the Heads Up ( Razz )

lol!

The Burgundian armoured figure completed:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 33082578018_e3d8559473_c

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46958007291_ce4487296e_b

You can see that the neck guards on the pauldrons have been scaled down on the figure, they don't extend as far back or as far forward as in the film. You also have to take into account that in the movie still her hair was wet, whereas the figure has a dry mop of hair.

The pauldrons are smaller in general though.

84TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:02 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks great. Is she capable of standing on her own? Or is the armor too heavy for the body used?

85TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:07 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I just logged in to my Timewalker account, and i ordered the A “Charge Version” of the armor. I’m sure you know the difference, Asta.

86TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks great. Is she capable of standing on her own? Or is the armor too heavy for the body used?

Yes, she does stand on her own. I just took her off the stand and placed on her the top in the exact same pose as photographed, and she stood there with no problem.

However, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her like that. I'm the same with all my figures. If I remove the stands from any I make sure they're in a safe pose, such as resting against another figure, or supported as with one of my Dredds resting a hand on the Lawmaster's handlebar.

Stryker2011 wrote:I just logged in to my Timewalker account, and i ordered the A “Charge Version” of the armor. I’m sure you know the difference, Asta.

I was confused by POPToys' terminology as well. Once OneSixthKit had sold out there was no product screen to go back to. I've also seen other companies list them incorrectly.

The only difference with the shipping boxes is a printed A or B. But on the art boxes there's a sticky label that says either 'Charge' or 'Triumph'. Now the figures are out I can't be sure which came from which.

However, I'm pretty sure that the 'Charge' version refers to this scene:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 The_me18

Which is her first armour.

87TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:25 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks. Yeah, I found it confusing even when I logged in at Timewalker just now. All it says is the difference between A & B is the armour, but doesn’t really give good representation of the differences.

88TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks. Yeah, I found it confusing even when I logged in at Timewalker just now. All it says is the difference between A & B is the armour, but doesn’t really give good representation of the differences.

I went onto Pop Toys' Facebook, and found a way of telling them apart:

POPTOYS 1/6 EX019-A Saint Knight Charge version
List:

Clothes:
Brown cotton

POPTOYS 1/6 EX019-B Saint Knight Triumph version
List:

Clothes:
Blue shirt

The lighter armoured figure has a brown arming doublet - you can see the brown collar, and it extends to the length of the mail.

The heavier armoured figure has a blue collar, but I can't see the end of it so it must be a lot shorter whatever it is.

So, here's the 'Charge' version, showing the brown collar:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46958613311_72dcb7dc3a_o

I removed the faulds to make her as she was in the film. It's a shame that the mail is short, but I did roughly test fit her on the horse and it helped to disguise the length.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 32017279227_0445a9a464_o

She's not right down in the saddle there but I didn't want to spend too much time futzing as she she still had the faulds on, and no belts.

89TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting. So does that mean the armour isn’t really all that different from one to the other...? How strange that the doublet would be different.

90TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:15 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting. So does that mean the armour isn’t really all that different from one to the other...? How strange that the doublet would be different.

The feet, legs, faulds, gauntlets, elbows and helmet are the same on both.

The difference is in the upper body - breastplate, gorget and pauldrons.

One other thing to note is that the pauldrons on the 'Charge' version stick out a bit. They can't 'fold' down due to the gorget. They look better if you can raise the arms to meet them instead, as in my photo with her stood holding the banner - her right pauldron looks more natural than the left.

91TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for all the additional info. Now I need to get a small end table so I can put here where I’m thinking she’ll look good.

92TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:45 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Looks good!

I like Kit's packaging, never had anything damaged yet.

CHEERS!

93TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:35 am

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:
Looks good!

CHEERS!

And those little plastic corners as well!

Here's one without the helmet:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46907267752_ec17b00790_o

It's hard to decide which looks best, helmet or no helmet.

Next thing will be to get her into the saddle.

94TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:06 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
From what I have seen, the "charge" version has the "light" armor (the one showing the mail over her chest area); the "triumph" version has the "Burgundian" armor. Thanks for the additional photos and information, Asta.

95TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:31 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Looks good!

CHEERS!

Agreed. Top notch packaging -- even if it does take some doing to unravel it all.

96TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Heightens the antici.................................................................................................pation!

CHEERS!

97TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Skippy

I got her onto the horse.

She sits right down into the saddle very easily. Then it's a juggling act of trying to make her as secure as you can with the stirrups. Her right foot fell off a couple of times. The ankle peg is a kind I haven't seen before. It's a thin rod a bit like the end of a hand peg where it attaches to the arm. But it's smooth, without any friction grooves.

Her gripping hands are too wide to hold the banner, unless the end is braced against the ground. So to have her holding it while mounted I cut a strip of leather and wrapped it round the pole, then placed her hand around the leather.

At first I had the mounted version with the long haired sculpt and helmet, but somehow it didn't look quite right. At the same time I was starting to think that the Burgundian armour with the short hair wasn't working. Maybe because my clearest memory of that armour is when she's in the rain and her hair is drenched. The fuller hair on the sculpt was at odds with the proportionally smaller armour around her neck.

The heads are very easy to change as they just slide down onto the neck cup, so it's no problem to switch them around whenever you feel like it.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46961093421_0a14a8d2f5_o

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46047038475_b446368de6_o

For scale reference with the CooModel Gothic armour:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 46236495184_fb5bc23d1d_o

Without the armour she would stand at about 10.5", making her 5' 3". So about the height of the real Jeanne.

98TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent... She looks cool either way. And thanks for the tip on the leather to hold the flag. I really hate when companies don't make the appropriate parts to hold one of their essential accessories (much like the ArToys Hell-Man didn't have an appropriately positioned hand to hold that over-sized multi-barrel gun of his -- you just had to sort of jam it in to his hand and hope it stayed put).

99TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Excellent... She looks cool either way. And thanks for the tip on the leather to hold the flag. I really hate when companies don't make the appropriate parts to hold one of their essential accessories (much like the ArToys Hell-Man didn't have an appropriately positioned hand to hold that over-sized multi-barrel gun of his -- you just had to sort of jam it in to his hand and hope it stayed put).

At the time I was struggling to get her to hold it, she was sliding around in the saddle, her foot fell off, and the banner was sliding down the pole. I knew I had to fill the grip of her hand with something, and remembered my stash of leather that I've never got round to using (for belts and holsters, etc).

A thin strip wrapped round the pole looks like it ought to be there, to assist carrying the banner.

I'm really impressed with these figures. When you see fancy prototype photos you hope that what you'll receive is going to be close, but fully expect that the company will cut some corners for production.

The real negative that I mentioned was the shortness of the mail on the Charge version. Looking back to the promo images, such as this one,

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Poptoy35

the production version wasn't actually any shorter than that, after pulling the mail down.

So, while it's not ideal, it was evident but overlooked right from the beginning. Removing the tassets just made it apparent. The way the pauldrons lay is also the same in those first photos.

For me the short mail dictates that the Charge version has to be the one mounted, which was what I always had in mind anyway.

The body is also more flexible than I'd have guessed. Even in the armour it was easy to get her into a natural looking pose.

100TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:39 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well that’s interesting. I wonder if that was their intent all along (the “Charge” to be mounted on the horse and the other to stand next to it?). Either way, glad to know about the Charge version.

101TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Well that’s interesting. I wonder if that was their intent all along (the “Charge” to be mounted on the horse and the other to stand next to it?). Either way, glad to know about the Charge version.

They showed both mounted, but each was a bit awkward.

The Charge version looks to be held out of the saddle by the tassets at the front:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Poptoy36

The Triumph version looks to be held out of the saddle by the culet at the back:

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Poptoy37

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Poptoy39

The shorter mail probably makes it easier for her to sit, and once on you don't really notice because it's concealed by what appears to be termed the 'saddle steels'.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Knight11

Removing the tassets made it a lot easier to get her fully into the saddle.

102TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:05 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
So, it looks like the tassets need to be removed to make her sit properly -- like you did. Makes sense.

103TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:20 am

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:So, it looks like the tassets need to be removed to make her sit properly -- like you did. Makes sense.

You might get her right with them on, but it was a lot easier without.

I prefer the lighter appearance, not just because that was how she was in the film, but it fits Dunois' observation that she could not bear the weight of full armour.

To counter that look, I then have the fully armoured and helmeted version on foot, portraying her at a later date. I pulled her hair back under the helmet, and the long plaited hair is hidden at her back.

I was looking through my Osprey books and noticed the following images.

The first depicts another separate plackart, albeit shorter than Jeanne's, from c.1425.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 22210

And this one, albeit from the later fifteenth century, shows a plackart worn without a plate breastplate, but with mail and a brigandine. Jeanne is wearing mail over a padded gambeson.

TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 11110

104TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc - Page 4 Empty Re: TEASER | POPTOYS | 1:6 Jeanne D'Arc Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:23 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool. Thanks for the reference pics and additional information. I'll see what I can do, but I'm guessing removing the tassets would make the most sense in the long run, since as you say, she didn't have them on in when she wore that armour on the horse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum