OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Miniature Books

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Miniature Books Empty Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 am

Delanie

Delanie
Hi I went to a miniature Dolls exhibition yesterday and saw these and thought you folks might be interested.

https://dateman-books.myshopify.com/

I was really impressed by these little books Standard size are 2 to 2.7cm tall which i think works out as a standard paperback size

they also do a large size aimed at 'Sasha'? sized dolls which are 5cm tall which by my calculations is about hardback size which I think would be more appropriate to some of the titles in 1/6 scale.

Apparently they can do any book as long as it's over 75years old due to copyright I don't think you get a whole book but at least a full chapter. They also do maps and newspapers

I will say I am going to buy a couple myself unfortunately i was spent out yesterday.

2Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:28 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the link. I’ve bought from them before (through eBay), I believe. Nice stuff. At one time I wanted to do a Holmes and Watson sitting room diorama, and had been looking at amassing a number of books for a library shelf — the thing was intended to have objects and books hidden among the brick-a-brack that would have been out of place, to have a “find the out of place items” scavenger hunt — but Jabba came along and killed that idea.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Miniature Books C8485110

3Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
These are great. I've experimented with making my own 1/6 scale books and magazines. The magazines came out ok, and have been featured in a few of my photos; the books still leave a bit to be desired, though I did sneak in a couple from the "draft" version in one photo story. But to look real nice, one needs a more meticulous approach, like these.

I'm just surprised they need to worry about copyright for something of this nature and in this scale.

4Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:26 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm just surprised they need to worry about copyright for something of this nature and in this scale.

If they’re using an outside printing source, it often becomes an issue — regardless of scale. Some places are just super nit picky about adhering to the “rules”, or company policy.

Miniature Books C8485110

5Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
These are really nicely done! I'm especially digging the ones labeled "classics" with the leather covers.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the link. I’ve bought from them before (through eBay), I believe. Nice stuff. At one time I wanted to do a Holmes and Watson sitting room diorama, and had been looking at amassing a number of books for a library shelf — the thing was intended to have objects and books hidden among the brick-a-brack that would have been out of place, to have a “find the out of place items” scavenger hunt — but Jabba came along and killed that idea.

That sounds like it'd be a blast! I know you say you're out of the dio game, but something like this could fit nicely in a shelving unit. Never say never man!

GubernatorFan wrote:These are great. I've experimented with making my own 1/6 scale books and magazines. The magazines came out ok, and have been featured in a few of my photos; the books still leave a bit to be desired, though I did sneak in a couple from the "draft" version in one photo story. But to look real nice, one needs a more meticulous approach, like these.

I'm just surprised they need to worry about copyright for something of this nature and in this scale.

I still think the little blank books you can get at the dollhouse section of the craft store are a great base, and you can print a cover to just wrap around. No printed pages, but still a good solution, especially if you want to knock out a bunch.

And I think a lot of makers aren't worried about copyright, since they're just doing a few little pieces, but these guys must just be cautious, and trying to do everything above board.

6Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:If they’re using an outside printing source, it often becomes an issue — regardless of scale. Some places are just super nit picky about adhering to the “rules”, or company policy.

Alas, that is probably true. Wish they had thought of it as free advertising.

ReverendSpooky wrote:I still think the little blank books you can get at the dollhouse section of the craft store are a great base, and you can print a cover to just wrap around.  No printed pages, but still a good solution, especially if you want to knock out a bunch.

And I think a lot of makers aren't worried about copyright, since they're just doing a few little pieces, but these guys must just be cautious, and trying to do everything above board.  

I agree. But when I went to the local Michaels, the selection was very small (literally!). I seem to remember more options at Hobby Lobby, but the county of California I have moved to is so tolerant that it will probably tar and feather anyone who so much as admits to having shopped in a Hobby Lobby somewhere sometime somehow... Sad The point is, no Hobby Lobby nearby, and shopping for this exact thing online is for some reason rather difficult.

7Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:41 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
I've been keeping an eye out but there isn't much that is both cheap and the right scale. Most are too small. The Dateman stuff is too expensive. I've been collecting ideas and book samples to make my own.

The mini blank books suggested above sounds like a neat solution but I've never seen them in any craft shop or on ebay.

8Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those look nice tho all my figures are illiterate 😁. Joking aside, I tried once to make a book and it sort of worked but didn't look quite right.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Miniature Books 1f60e

9Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm

blackpool

blackpool
Very nice site with some gorgeous little items (I can't believe they do also 1/12th scale books, that must be insane!!!)

For those interested in a cheap solution for "army building" a library I recently did some printable book covers that just need to be applied on cardboard of various thickness (of course they don't open huh)

Just tell me and I'll share those in the "paper goodies " thread Smile

Here is what it looks like once installed

Miniature Books IMG_0175

10Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is totally gorgeous, blackpool, and I'm sure I won't be the only one to appreciate it.

11Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I also wanted to throw out there this etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleTHINGSinterest?

who do a lot of great book as well.

Blackpool, I may take you up on that file offer.  I have a HUGE antique type face tray that I want to turn into big 1/6 library shelves, so I am in need of 1/6 books to fill them.  I'll also need like 100 man hours to cut and fold enough to fill them...

GubernatorFan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:I still think the little blank books you can get at the dollhouse section of the craft store are a great base, and you can print a cover to just wrap around.  No printed pages, but still a good solution, especially if you want to knock out a bunch.

I agree. But when I went to the local Michaels, the selection was very small (literally!). I seem to remember more options at Hobby Lobby, but the county of California I have moved to is so tolerant that it will probably tar and feather anyone who so much as admits to having shopped in a Hobby Lobby somewhere sometime somehow... Sad The point is, no Hobby Lobby nearby, and shopping for this exact thing online is for some reason rather difficult.

I'll try to keep an eye out for more of these as well.  If I get my hands on a surplus of them, I'll let you know.

12Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am

blackpool

blackpool
I just updated the "paper goodies" thread, better get your cutter blades ready friends pirat

13Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nicely done, blackpool. Those look great. (And thanks again for the images in the Paper Goodies thread).

Miniature Books C8485110

14Miniature Books Empty Re: Miniature Books Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You're too kind, good Reverend. Smile I did make some of my own, but trying to perfect the technique, if such it is...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum